Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 4-The Heart of Darkness(Everyone else)

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy
Steadman's Warehouse - Limehouse, London, England
10:00 AM - Wednesday, September 11, 1940

Story, Phyllis, Eugene, and Anna left the hospital and made their way to the Steadmans' warehouse in Limehouse. It looked less menacing and more ordinary in the daylight, though Eugene could still feel something inside - and beneath - tugging at him. A pair of middle-aged men in Home Guard uniforms, one tall and thin, the other short and fat, stood guard in front of the main entrance, rifles held against their shoulders.

Re: IC-Ep 4-The Heart of Darkness(Everyone else)

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:02 pm
by jp1885
Fighting the urge to run screaming from the vicinity, Eugene nudges Phyllis.

"Time to start the offensive Mrs.C: over the top armed with tea and buns."

Flask of tea him hand, he takes a step forward, smiling at the guards.

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:11 pm
by aine
“Right you are.” Whispers Phyllis. She strides forward and exclaims in her best loud busybody voice,
“Good morning, Gentlemen! Mr Thomson and I, as part of the W.I. Directive, are administering victuals to our gallant Home Guard.” She looks about the area,
“This won’t do, Eugene, could you set the flask up over here on this flat wall.”
She hopes to lure the guard away from the entrance so the others can gain access.
“Although I don’t know how ourselves will sneak in.” She whispers to Eugene.
Persuade,70 roll:73

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:05 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna hangs back, trying to make herself as unobtrusive as possible while observing Phyllis and Eugene's efforts.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy
"God bless you, ma'am!" said the short, fat soldier.

"We can't leave our post, ma'am," said the tall, thin one, "but we'll be happy to feast if you bring everything over here."
OOC, [b]Eugene[/b] and [b]Anna[/b] may also try Fast Talk or Persuade.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:28 pm
by jp1885
Fast talk 65 extreme success,Tolled an 11 https://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceVerifier?RID=95c4c18d-e0a7-4f44-9f7c-aa8a7b37e909
“Half a mo mate! You don’t expect us to carry this lot any further do you?” says Eugene, grimacing. “What with my sciatica and Mrs. C’s... well, best not discuss a lady’s health problems, hey? Listen, why don’t we keep an eye out, then you can help yourself?”

He turns to Phyllis.

“Are you sure you want to give these buns away? They’re the best batch you’ve made I reckon; I’m minded to take ‘em home...”

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:21 pm
by aine
“Lor’ bless you, Mr Thomson, but I haven’t won three regional baking finals in a row for nothing you know.” Phyllis replies in her loud voice.
“ Now these fresh buns are just for our bravest. You pour out that hot tea why don’t you and I’ll post myself just here while the gentlemen have a well deserved break.”

Phyllis lets Eugene entice the Homeguard and she staunchly stands in the entrance clasping her huge handbag.

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy
"It won't hurt anything if we take a little break," said the fat soldier.

"Okay," said the other one. "Thank you, ma'am. You can keep an eye on the entrance for us while we eat. Just make sure nobody goes inside. The building's unsafe."

The two of them hurried over to the where the tea and buns had been set up, and they began to feast. They were paying no attention whatsoever to anything else.

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:21 pm
by aine
Phyllis makes a small movement with her hand to signal the others to move inside if they can.

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:45 pm
by jp1885
“Listen Mrs. C,” whispers Eugene. “That thing in there is waiting for me; I can feel it. Why don’t you stay out here where it’s safe? You can keep the guards occupied and carry on the fight if things go pear-shaped.”

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna signals back to Phyllis that she understands, gestures to Story and then darts into the entrance.

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:08 pm
by Mr. Handy
When Anna tried to open the warehouse door, she found that it was locked.

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:32 pm
by aine
“You’re too considerate, Mr Thomson. But one is urged to do one’s duty and I feel that to see this through is mine.
And if it is indeed waiting for you then you’ll need all the help at hand.” Phyllis whispers back.
When Anna can’t gain entry she whispers,
“Are we sure this is the only entrance?”

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:27 pm
by Mr. Handy
The Home Guardsmen were so preoccupied with their meal that they didn't even notice when Phyllis and Eugene joined Story and Anna at the front door. "There is a rear entrance," whispered Story, "but I'd expect it to be guarded too." He inspected the lock. "Yes, a simple dead bolt lock. Easily manipulated. Allow me." He took out a strange-looking narrow cylindrical device, pointed it at the lock, and pressed a stud on it. A soft, eerie sound emanated from it, followed by a thunk as the lock disengaged. Story opened the door, revealing a hallway stretching into the distance. There was a door nearby on the left, and a series of three doors on the right, spaced some distance apart. At the end of the hall, it went around a corner to the left. "I've been here once before. We want the last door on the right. That's where the stairs going below are."

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:28 pm
by jp1885
Eugene nods in agreement, having also gone the same way.

“Promise me one thing,” he says to everyone as he steps through the doorway. “Don’t let that thing... dominate me, I suppose the phrase is. Put me out of my misery if need be.”

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:37 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Don't talk like that Eugene, we'll get through this together, no putting anyone out of their misery unless they're some bat-thing.'

She takes out her electric torch and walks inside. 'Thats quite the lockpick you have there Mr Story' she says disapprovingly.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy
"I didn't design it to pick locks, but as a generally useful tool," said Story, entering and lighting his torch, which did not have a hood. "It just happened to be good at dealing with this particular type of lock. It's called a sonic screwdriver. I'm what you might call a boffin. Shall we proceed to the door at the end, Doctor?"

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Sonic screwdriver? I'm not sure those two words go together' says Anna. She follows Story to the door.

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy
"It uses sound waves to manipulate physical objects, such as screws," said Story, leading the way down the hall and opening the last door on the right. There was a small card table in the middle of the room. Behind it was a stairway leading down, the only other exit from the room. It was dark down there.

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:18 pm
by jp1885
Eugene almost leaps back from the dark stairway.

“I-it’s down there...” he whispers, fumbling for his flashlight.

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:52 pm
by aine
Phyllis grabs Eugene’s hand and presses it. “Maybe you should go last. Shall we light all our lamps?”

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:37 pm
by Mephistophilis
'A bit of flame wouldn't go amiss' says Anna. She lights one of her lamps. 'Eugene, are you sure you're up to this?'

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 pm
by jp1885
"No. I'm nowhere near up to this," Eugene replies, keeping hold of Mrs. C's hand. "But I don't think I have much of a choice. We need to press on."

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:28 pm
by Mr. Handy
Story led the way down the stairs, which ended in an ordinary-looking basement. An unlit bare light bulb hung from the ceiling, with a slender chain that hung beside it. In one wall was an open wooden door.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:01 pm
by jp1885
“D-down there,” stammers Eugene, pointing down the steps. “A corridor leads to a large room. That’s where it’ll be.”

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna stops as soon as she enters the room. 'Best go in all guns blazing' she says, emptying out her bag. She lights the other oil lamp and puts the glass bottles of lamp oil into her coat along with her electric torch and spare batteries. She lights some candles and places them around the room, pocketing the rest. Then she tries to turn on the electric bulb by the slender chain.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:24 pm
by aine
Phyllis lights both her lamps and gets a flask of spare oil handy.
“How will Mr Thomson know if he is receiving the influence?” She asks gently. “What might it do?”

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy
The bare bulb lit up, and the room was flooded with light. There were no special features to the room, however, only the stairs back up and the door leading onward. A corridor was visible beyond it.

"The influence it exerts at a distance is subtle," said Story. "It's been trying to draw him here to its lair. It can only take him over if it makes physical contact. It would try to engulf its victim. It can also burn someone to ashes the same way. Of course, just looking at the thing is going to be problematic. The mere sight can be enough to give someone a heart attack."

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:03 pm
by jp1885
“I’ve seen enough of it and I’m still standing,” Eugene replies, somewhat bitterly.

“Of course, that might be because it wants me alive...” he sighs, switching on his torch.

“Only one way to find out...”

He opens the door to the corridor and plunges on.

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:49 pm
by aine
“Lawks!” Phyllis exclaims and rushes after Eugene with a lamp in one hand and her umbrella in the other.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 am
by Mr. Handy
Story followed, his own lit torch in his hand. On the other side of the door, the corridor beyond was very different. The walls, floor, and ceiling here looked like sandstone, and they were covered with Egyptian-themed murals, reliefs, and hieroglyphics. There were extinguished torches in brackets on the walls. There were two more doors here, one on the left in the middle of the hall, and another at the very end of it, in front of which lay a discarded folding chair, which Eugene recalled having thrown. All three doors were closed.
OOC, Everyone, please roll Listen.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:51 pm
by aine
Phyllis sets about lighting the wall torches, pausing to look at the strange designs; Definitely foreign she concludes. She is too busy to hear anything.
Listen, 25 roll:32

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna helps Phyllis light the torches, running her fingers over the carvings she says 'I wonder what these say? Nothing good probably.'

OOC:   Fail Listen  

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:00 pm
by jp1885
Listen 45 pass,Rolled a 34 https://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceVerifier?RID=f81e6ed7-7810-4374-ad9c-6d637222daee
With nerves and senses stretched to breaking point, Eugene thinks he can hear something.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy
Story didn't hear anything.
Eugene Thomson, [b]Eugene[/b] could hear a faint flapping sound beyond the door at the end of the corridor.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:56 pm
by jp1885
“I can hear something behind the door,” whispers Eugene. “Something flapping about.”

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13 pm
by aine
“That will be it then I suppose.” Phyllis says solemnly. She turns to Story,
“What do we do then? Blind it with lights while you rush in and stab it with your special knife?”

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy
"Not I," said Story. "I'm not very good with a knife, I'm afraid. There's also the curse of madness to consider. If one of you wants to use it, you can borrow it. I'll use my torch."
Eugene Thomson, [b]Eugene[/b] could actually sense the being beyond that door now, and somehow he knew that it could sense him too.

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:20 pm
by jp1885
Eugene falters, clutching his torch to his chest and throwing strange shadows across his face.

“It’s in there, I can feel it. It knows we’re out here - it’s wait for us...”

He throws a sour glance at Story: for a man who seems to have all the answers, the mysterious traveller seems an awful coward.

“Give me the knife then,” he spits.

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:19 pm
by aine
“Come on then, who’d have thought it; a vacuum salesman, a young woman and a sixty-er-three year old lady try to save the day.”
Phyllis leads the way to the door and prepares to open it.
“I’ll be right with you all the way, Mr Thomson.”
She opens the door.

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna scowls at 'young woman', she raises her two lamps and says 'Let's go.' As she passes Story she grabs the knife, 'I know what to do with a knife.'

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Story handed Anna a wooden box, which she opened to reveal an ancient dagger embedded in velvet padding. The dagger had a hilt shaped like the head of an Egyptian ibis, a bird with a long curved beak.

On the other side of the door was a vast room, supported by stone pillars with more extinguished torches in brackets. The walls here were of similar design. At the far end was an altar made of the same type of stone as the walls. It had four horns, one on each corner. Past that was another closed door. In the darkness at the back of the chamber was a large bat-like shape. It was much larger than a man, and it had a horrid tri-lobed burning red eye...
OOC, Everyone except [b]Eugene[/b], please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 1D6/1D20, so you lose 1D6 Sanity even if you succeed, or 1D20 if you fail. If you lose 5 or more, please roll Idea. If you succeed, you will go temporarily insane. If you fail, you will be able to act normally when it is your turn. [b]Eugene[/b], you do not need to roll Sanity, as you have seen it before. It will get to act before any of you.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:42 am
by Mephistophilis
Anna gasps at the sight. She's not sure she had ever, truly believed the descriptions, but now that burning eye stared down at her...

OOC:   Pass Sanity, 1pt loss.  
Hide - can't act yet,Blinking she pushes the thought from her mind, [i]'So what are we going to do now, Anna?'[/i] She turns up her oil lamps and places them down, taking out her electric torch and turning it on. She trains all of these on the bat-thing. She then takes out some candles and starts to light them and place them around her.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:48 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC, Those were some good rolls, but it's not your turn to act yet. The enemy gets to go first, and then [b]Story[/b] does. After that, the three of you will be able to act.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:12 pm
by aine
Phyllis shakily holds her lamp and her umbrella before her. The thing at the back of the room is far more terrible than she had ever imagined; that eye is so big and so red. She had just enough strength to force her trembly legs through the door.
Sanity, 63 roll: 34 san loss: 4

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
Story had seen many bizarre things, and the Father of All Bats was just one more. Even so, it had some effect on him.

The Father of All Bats opened its mouth, and a flood of darkness flowed out of it. The huge room was quickly plunged into utter darkness, save for the immediate area around the lanterns and electric torches. They did not penetrate the gloom very far.

"I'll have to get closer to be able to use my light," whispered Story. He ventured off into the darkness, only to get completely disoriented and end up back where he started.
OOC, Now everyone may act. You must roll Listen if you are trying to hear where the Father of All Bats is.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:28 pm
by jp1885
Listen 45 fail, https://orokos.com/roll/887178
Eugene screams in terror as the darkness envelops him. Shuddering with fear, he swings his torch around wildly.

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:09 pm
by aine
Listen, 25 roll:22
“Take heart, Mr Thomson, we’re all here with you!”
Phyllis tries to make contact with Eugene in the darkness. She keeps her umbrella and lamp pointed towards the Father of all Bats.

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:19 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna hears movement in the dark, she swings her lamplight towards it and imprecisely flings a glass bottle of lamp oil in the direction of the sound.

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
The bottle shattered somewhere in the darkness. The Father of All Bats was not visible in the light's short range, but everyone knew it was there. "We need to get close enough to see it first," said Story, venturing into the darkness again and quickly getting lost.
Phyllis Cruckshank/Anna Jerkins, [b]Phyllis[/b] and [b]Anna[/b] could hear by the flapping where the Father of All Bats was at the far end of the room. Then they heard a second creature flapping, right next to it.
OOC, [b]Eugene[/b], you may attempt another Listen roll if you wish. [b]Phyllis[/b] and [b]Anna[/b] can tell where it is now and do not need to roll again for that. Everyone may take another action now.

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I think I can hear another one...' whispers Anna.

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:28 am
by jp1885
Eugene sidles over to Anna.

“We’ll never find them all in this d-darkness. If it wants me, it’ll come to me. When it does, you need to strike, even if it gets in me!”

Despite the oppressive darkness crushing in on him, he opens his arms wide.

“I am here, Father of Bats!”

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:29 pm
by aine
“Oh my word!” Exclaims Phyllis. “It’s down at the far end of the room and yes, I do believe there’s two of them. It could be the one with the snaky tail.”
Phyllis stands next to Eugene ready to lash out with her iron umbrella. She also casts a glance backwards; can she see if the door is open?

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:54 am
by Mr. Handy
One of the flapping creatures approached, close enough that Eugene could hear it - and then see it! It was not the Father of All Bats, but a Jaegerschreck, which Phyllis recognized as similar to the one she had seen before. This one, however, had two wings. It was jet black and dozens of feet long. The light caused it intense pain, but it withstood at and swung its tail at Eugene to grab him!

Story continued to wander around lost in the darkness, but he was getting closer.
OOC, Everyone except [b]Story[/b], please roll Sanity for seeing it. Sanity loss is 0/1D10. [b]Phyllis[/b] already lost 2 Sanity for seeing one of these creatures (but not the same one), so she can lose at most 8. Any loss of 9 or 10 counts only as 8 for her. If you lose at least 5, please roll Idea. If you succeed at that roll, you go temporarily insane. As long as you don't go temporarily insane, you may act. [b]Eugene[/b], please roll Dodge unless you want to let it grab you.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:23 pm
by jp1885
Long story short,SAN fail, 6 SAN loss, idea extreme success
Overcome with terror, Eugene is rooted to the spot.

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:11 am
by Mephistophilis
Anna steels herself against the sight of the winged horror. She takes one of her lanterns and swings it against the creature, trying to smash the glass and set light to it.

OOC:   Not sure what skill to use for this, I rolled 30.  

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy
Eugene began to scream as the creature's tail wrapped around him, pinning his arms to his sides. Anna swung one of her lanterns at it, narrowly missing it.
OOC, I'll count that as a Small Club roll, which has a 25% base skill. That misses, but not by much.
Eugene Thomson, [b]Eugene[/b]'s temporary insanity is [url=https://orokos.com/roll/887757]a screaming fit[/url], which lasts for [url=https://orokos.com/roll/887758]12 rounds[/url], including this one. You'll gain another indefinite insanity due to losing 20% or more of your remaining Sanity, but that'll kick in once your temporary insanity wears off - if you survive. You also gain another point of Cthulhu Mythos, taking it to 6%. Feel free to roll that now, for whatever good it will do.

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:55 am
by jp1885
Cthulhu mythos,Failed at rolling a 12
Eugene continues to scream.

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:40 pm
by aine
Phyllis runs full pelt at the creature, taking her lantern to its eyes if she can. She jams the spike of her iron umbrella into its flesh with the force of 60 years of lifting jam pans behind it.
“Let him go you horrid creature!”
Umbrella, 25? Roll: 18

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Phyllis was unafraid of the creature, but her umbrella didn't even seem to hurt it - unlike her light, which was clearly damaging and frightening it. With a shriek, it fled into the darkness the way it came, dragging a screaming Eugene with it. They were quickly out of sight, but the women could hear that it had brought him back to where the Father of All Bats was flapping around.

Story was finally able to track it down thanks to Eugene's screams. Holding his torch high, he advanced. "Release him!" commanded his booming voice. "And return whence you came!" He gestured at the Jaegerschreck, and it faded away into nothingness, leaving Eugene to fall to the floor with a thump, where he continued to scream - all the moreso because the Father of All Bats was right nearby, glaring at them with its baleful red eye.
OOC, [b]Phyllis[/b] needed a Sanity roll. I rolled for you and succeeded, so you lose none. The chance to hit with the umbrella was your Large Club skill, which is 50%, so that's more than good enough to hit. [b]Phyllis[/b] and [b]Anna[/b], you may both act now.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:05 pm
by aine
Phyllis can’t believe it as the jaegershreck just dissolves.
“My, you do have a way with words, Mr Story! Now, Miss Jerkins, are you there too? shall we advance all together? I did promise Mr Thomson I’d look after him and I’ve been rather caught out by the suddenness of it all.” Phyllis starts to bravely grope her way to Eugene.
Ooc, I’ve edited my post to take up just one round. Thanks for rolling for me, Mr H, I missed that one.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC, It will take you the entire round to reach [b]Eugene[/b] on the far side of the room. You'll have to wait until next round to try to rescue him.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:30 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna turns up her lamps as high as they will go. She opens the case containing the blade and empties it into her pocket. She doesn't really want to touch it yet but suspects it won't be long before she has to use it.

Lifting the lamps high she follows Eugene's screams to try and locate the Father of All Bats. 'I'm coming Phyllis. Mr Story, shall we finish this?'

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Phyllis and Anna arrived at the back of the chamber, where Story was looking weary and exhausted, and a little disturbed. The Father of All Bats reeled from the presence of the bright lights. It swooped down upon Eugene, engulfing him with its dark form that was now flickering red around the edges. His screams became more agonized, but he managed to resist. However, contact with the being burned him badly!

"You shall not have him!" bellowed Story, training his torch on it and causing it significant damage.
OOC, You're welcome. [b]Eugene[/b], please roll CON x 5 to see if you stay conscious. [b]Phyllis[/b] and [b]Anna[/b], you are free to act now.

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:35 pm
by jp1885
CON 55 pass,[url]https://orokos.com/froll/888334[/url]
Denied the sanctuary of unconsciousness, Eugene continues to scream.

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:52 pm
by aine
“May the Lord preserve us!” Phyllis forces her trembling knees over to stand over Eugene with her lamp held high.
“Mercy, Anna, do it now!” She cries.

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:51 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna's hand closes around the haft of the knife. It's now or never.

OOC,I think there might be something bad going to happen when she touches the knife but I'll roll for her attacking the father of bats in case she can: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/889306]Knife 50%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]4[/b]

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:18 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Extreme success: nice!

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy
Anna did not feel any crazier when she gripped the dagger. As if her hand was supernaturally guided, she plunged the blade right into the red tri-lobed eye of the Father of All Bats. It let out an ear-splitting cry as it faded into nothingness - and the dagger with it! The subterranean chamber was quiet but for Eugene's continued screaming.

"Well done, Doctor!" said Story, slumping against the wall. "Carole Siddons will never forgive me for losing the dagger, but it was worth it."

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:16 pm
by aine
“Has it really gone? Oh well done, Anna, a provident strike indeed!” Phyllis fans her face, looking round to see if all the fiends have disappeared. Then she sinks down next to Eugene,
“Mr Thomson? It’s gone; are you still with us?”

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna stares into the empty space where the creature had been. She blinks. Still gone. She stands there, unsure what to do now or whether she even believes what has just happened.

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:10 pm
by jp1885
Eugene curls up in a foetal position, his screams interspersed with sobs; be they sobs of terror, shame or sheer relief.

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:15 pm
by aine
“Oh dear, he’s in a terrible state. Anna, you know more about this than I do; I daren’t touch him in case he panics even more.”
Phyllis dithers, fretting over Eugene’s screams.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"It is gone," said Story. "Our friend here needs healing, both physically and mentally. That is your area of expertise, Doctor, though I'll assist how I can."
OOC, Feel free to roll First Aid and Psychoanalysis to help [b]Eugene[/b]. If you succeed at First Aid, please roll 1D3 to see how many HP [b]Eugene[/b] recovers. A success at Psychoanalysis will end his temporary insanity and postpone the onset of his new indefinite insanity.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:40 pm
by aine
“We can see what we can do.” Says Phyllis philosophically.
First aid, 40 roll: 35 1d3: 2hp
As she rummages in her handbag for smelling salts and rum she says,
“Are you alright, Mr Story? You look rather bushed if I may say so.”

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:55 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you," said Story. "Banishing the Jaegerschreck took a lot out of me, so I am a bit tired, and this old body of mine is wearing a bit thin. I should be all right, and so should Mr. Thomson. We've done all we can here, but we should get him back to St. Bart's soon."

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
Snapping out of her reverie, Anna crouches down and strokes Eugene's hand. 'It's okay Eugene, it's gone now, we're safe. Open your eyes and look around. We're safe. It's gone.'
OOC,[url=https://orokos.com/roll/889687]Psychoanalysis 90%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]64[/b]

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:38 pm
by jp1885
Eugene’s screams subside into a mix of sobs, hiccups and wracking coughs. His eyelids crack open as he shudders.

“Take me away...” he whispers. “Light... I need light...”

Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:36 pm
by aine
Phyllis helps Eugene up; she’s a tough old bird, and leads him out of the chamber, eager to be out in the daylight too.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:12 pm
by Mr. Handy
Story, Phyllis, Eugene, and Anna retraced their steps and returned to the front entrance, emerging into sunlight to Eugene's great relief. The two Home Guardsmen were still there, having finished the buns and made some good progress on the tea. They did not appear to have noticed a thing.

Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:18 am
by jp1885
While he’s more than happy to be out in the sun again, Eugene grimaces in pain; a reminder that he has not just suffered mental trauma.

“Hospital...” he gasps, clinging onto Mrs. C for support.

Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:48 pm
by aine
As soon as they are clear of the door and it is closed behind them, Phyllis calls to the wardens,
“Excuse me! Mr Thomson has had a funny turn; can you call an ambulance or help us to find a car? We need to get him to St. Barts.”

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh!" cried the tall soldier. "I say, that does look bad! I'll go call for an ambulance. You stay and make sure nobody goes inside," he added to the short one before running off.

"Will do! Nobody's getting in there, not on my watch!" he replied, taking up his post in front of the entrance.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:24 am
by Mephistophilis
Anna tries to look at Eugene's wounds but in all honesty she's a better psychoanalyst than she is a practical doctor. If anything her poking and prodding probably makes it worse.
Uh oh,[url=https://orokos.com/roll/890114]Medicine 15%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]98[/b]

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:27 pm
by aine
Leaving Eugene to Anna’s not-too-effective first aid, and trying not to smile at the soldier’s comment, Phyllis quickly collects the flask and empty bun-bag.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
Anna's ministrations only caused Eugene more pain.

"I know you mean well, Miss," said the guard, "but maybe it's best to wait for the ambulance."

Before long, the other soldier returned to his post, and shortly after that the ambulance arrived. Irene Carpenter and Florence Bryant were in it, looking exhausted. They got out and took a stretcher out of the back of the ambulance, then went over to get Eugene.

"Incendiary?" asked Florence as the two nurses helped Eugene onto the stretcher.

"We've really got to stop meeting like this," said Irene, recognizing Phyllis. "We should be in bed now, but we're pulling a double shift."

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:48 pm
by jp1885
Eugene groans, partly from being lifted onto the stretcher, partly from Anna's ministrations and partly from the realisation that the Home Guard haven't left any of Mrs. C's buns.

Wincing, he lies back, hardly daring to hope that the horror is finally over.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna goes scarlet, 'I...I...I am a doctor...' she trails off.

Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:21 pm
by aine
“This isn’t Dr Jerkin’s specialty unfortunately.” Says Phyllis, “But she’s an excellent doctor; very handy with a knife.”
She climbs into the ambulance, “You poor dears, I think there’s just a last bit of tea left if you’d like it.” She brandishes the flask at the two nurses.

Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
Florence expertly treated Eugene's fresh injury. "You're going to be all right, sir," she said. "We'll get you to hospital, don't you worry."

"Cheers!" said Irene, gratefully accepting the flask from Phyllis and taking a sip before turning to Anna. "You're welcome to come aboard, Doctor. I'd be glad for your help. "My older brother was studying to become a doctor, but when the war started he signed up."

Irene and Florence (mostly Irene, due to her strength) lifted the stretcher and loaded Eugene into the back of the ambulance. Story come aboard after him. Then Irene passed the flask to Florence.

Florence's First Aid roll (70% skill) treating Eugene's injury:
d0025

Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna perks up at Phyllis's words, 'More of a surgeon' she laughs.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Florence took a sip of the tea and returned the flask to Phyllis. Then she and Irene got in the front of the ambulance, with Irene driving, while the others rode in the back. It wasn't too long a ride back to St. Bart's, and soon the ambulance pulled up in the car park. Irene and Florence got out and opened up the back, then picked up Eugene on the stretcher. As they entered the hospital, Maggie approached them, gasping when she saw Eugene's state. "Good heavens!" she exclaimed. "What happened? Are the rest of you all right? Reverend Pennyfeather...um...discharged himself when Madeline Steadman did the same. We followed her to Queensway, where it looks like she's going to her house. He stayed behind with Elizabeth and Brook."

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:41 am
by jp1885
“I got into a spot of bother, but I’ll live.” mumbles Eugene to Maggie.

He beckons to Story, handing him his battered trilby hat.

“Brook saved my life, that first time we went to the warehouse. Please give her this to remember me by. Now promise me that you’ll all make sure that evil place is burned to the ground!”

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:35 pm
by aine
“Do you mean all those rooms with squiggly writing on the walls?” Asks Phyllis. She’s not at all sure how one would go about such a task.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy
"The Germans may take care of that for us, before this war ends," said Maggie.

Brook isn't here. She stayed with Elizabeth and Archie near Queensway Station.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:57 pm
by jp1885
So she is! Previous post duly updated.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:42 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I'll see she gets it," said Story, accepting the hat. "We'd better go find her and the others now. Madeline Steadman is still dangerous, and her mother is still at large as well. I don't like the idea of them being anywhere near her."

Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:57 pm
by aine
“No rest for the wicked! We’ll sort out these Steadmans and be back for a nice cup of tea, Maggie, hopefully with the Reverend in tow.
And I hope you’ll be more sensible than the Reverend, Mr Thomson, discharging himself, tut tut.”
Phyllis turns back towards the door.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:20 am
by jp1885
“I’m not going anywhere,” Eugene sighs. “I reckon I’ve done my bit.”

Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:27 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Do we know Mrs Steadman is definitely dangerous now her husband is gone?' asks Anna. 'I'm most worried by her mother, we don't know where she is. But perhaps her daughter can lead us to her.'

Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:56 am
by Mr. Handy
"Anyone could potentially be dangerous, especially someone with nothing to lose," said Story. "But you're right, we don't know for sure, and her mother is far more dangerous. I would expect them to meet at some point."

Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:52 am
by aine
“That woman is a menace. Mrs Exeter needs putting back in the sanitarium once and for all. Mrs Houdini more like! I hope Sergeant MacDonald is safe.” Says Phyllis.

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

Does Anna want to go with the others, or stay with Eugene?

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:13 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anna will go with the other - she wants to finish this once and for all

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
Maggie remained behind with Eugene while the others left.

Eugene is moving to the thread linked below:

Recovery

Everyone else is moving to the thread linked below:

Endgame