Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 4-The Horror Unleashed(Archie/Phyllis)

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:43 pm
by Mr. Handy
THE HORROR IN THE BLACKOUT
EPISODE 4
Darkened Street - London, England
7:25 PM - Tuesday, September 10, 1940

Phyllis charged at Madeline, smacking her very hard with her iron umbrella. The blow sent her reeling, disrupting her chanting and nearly knocking her to the ground, but sheer bloody-mindedness kept her on her feet. Major James Steadman snapped shut the lid of the box, and Archie was released from its grip and capable of moving again. However, a terrible form materialized in the street. No less than forty feet long, it was long and black, like an enormous snake with a single bat-like wing.

"There!" shouted the major, pointing at Phyllis, who had just struck his wife. "There is your offering!"

The monstrosity writhed as it loomed over her...
Keeper only,STR: 0 CON: 1 SIZ: 2 INT: 3 POW: 4 DEX: 5 Spell knowledge: 6
OOC,[b]Archie[/b] and [b]Phyllis[/b], please roll Sanity for seeing it. Sanity loss is 0/1D10, so you lose no Sanity if you succeed but 1D10 if you fail. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, you must roll Idea. Success means you go temporarily insane. [b]Phyllis[/b], please also roll Luck.

Re: IC-Ep 4-The Horror Unleashed(Archie/Phyllis)

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:55 pm
by aine
Sanity,65 0 cripes 1
Luck,65 2
“Get away you vile bat thing you! Or I’ll... I’ll make you into jam!” Phyllis screams whilst brandishing the umbrella.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
Madeline began shrieking and waving her arms at the sight of the creature. The boy screamed in terror and tried to get away, but Major Steadman held him tight.

The sounds of aircraft overhead grew louder, and the night sky was briefly illuminated by flashes of light, as well as searchlights weaving back and forth. Incendiaries began to land, some of them on the roofs of buildings. One fell in the street nearby, and while it did not hit the creature, it still recoiled in what seemed like pain. However, it was not dissuaded from attacking...
OOC,Damage to creature from incendiary: 0 [b]Phyllis[/b], you may act now, before the creature does. [b]Archie[/b] will also get an action if he does not go temporarily insane.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:17 am
by Snapper
Archie:
SAN 83,0
"Lord preserve us!"

Archie wrenches his Colt out again and takes a shot at the creature.
OOC,Is this point blank?

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,For you it's not currently point blank, as your DEX is only 4. You would have to be within four feet of the creature for it to count as point blank. You're welcome to move that close if you like, and you may still fire this round if you do. Because of the creature's immense size, you get +5 to your chance to hit it no matter how far away it is. If you do move to point blank range, your skill is doubled before the +5 is applied. You may go ahead and roll to shoot, and if you hit, you may roll damage.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:34 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie races forward, "Get away from her!" He fires at point blank range.
Handgun 85%,0 [ooc]Crit![/ooc]
Damage,1+4 = 7

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:37 pm
by aine
“Reverend , come back!” Phyllis screams as Archie runs towards the horror. “Oh my aunt, he’ll be eaten for breakfast!” She wants to light her lantern to shine at the beast but it would take too long. She hides behind the umbrella whilst prodding it towards the major, hoping he might drop the jewel and the beast would disappear.
Umbrella,0
Ooc,Are there any areas of light nearby? Burning buildings?

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy
The bullet struck the creature right in the wing, but it didn't even seem to notice. It was more upset by the presence of the sparkling incendiary.

Major Steadman easily avoided the umbrella. He slipped the little sarcophagus into his pocket and drew his pistol. "Don't try that again," he said. The boy tried to slip his hand into the major's pocket, but he couldn't get a grip on the object within.

Meanwhile, the creature swooped down on Phyllis, completely ignoring Archie. It moved in the process so that she was between it and the incendiary. It tried to bite her with its maw full of sharp teeth, but it couldn't get past her umbrella. Its tail swung around to try to wrap itself around her, but it narrowly failed to grab her.
OOC,There are burning buildings, but they're not terribly close. The main sources of light are the searchlights. There is, however, the one incendiary that landed nearby. Boy's Conceal roll (55% skill) to pick [b]Major Steadman[/b]'s pocket: 2 Creature's Bite attack (65% chance) on [b]Phyllis[/b]: 0 Creature's Tail attack (90% chance) on [b]Phyllis[/b]: 1 You may both act again.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:36 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie changes tactic and runs towards Major Steadman, firing again. "Devil summoning fiend!"
OOC,Planning to get to point blank again.
Handgun 80%,0
Damage,1+2= 7

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy
Major Steadman pointed his gun at Archie and shot right at him as soon as he began to charge, not waiting for him to get close.
OOC,If you want to get into point blank range with him before you fire, he gets to shoot first. Of course, if you fire before you're that close, you'll miss, and he'll get to return fire anyway, so you might as well. At least this way you'll have a chance to roll Dodge and forgo your shot if he hits. [b]Major Steadman[/b]'s Handgun roll (40% skill) shooting at [b]Archie[/b]: 0 Do you want to attempt to roll Dodge, knowing that you won't get to shoot whether you succeed or not, or will you take the hit?

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:01 am
by Snapper
Archie:
OOC,Archie needs to get to point blank and categorically doesn't want to hit the boy so he will take the hit and tough it out...

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:33 am
by Mr. Handy
The bullet struck Archie in the chest, and he fell back, bleeding and unconscious.
OOC,Damage to [b]Archie[/b] from .455 bullet: 0 You're down to 1 HP, which is an automatic knockout. It's now [b]Phyllis[/b]'s turn.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:29 pm
by aine
Phyllis cowers behind her open umbrella trying to retreat towards the burning incendiary. “Must get near the light; must get near the light!” She mutters.
Ooc,Holy moley! That was a close shave. Hold on, Archie, stay with us! Just have a slight problem to deal with.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy
The creature turned to face Phyllis, but it did not approach the blazing incendiary. Instead, it opened its maw, and a rolling mist emerged from it. Phyllis was soon engulfed in darkness. She could barely see inches in front of her face, and that was thanks only to the incendiary.
OOC,Boy's Conceal roll (55% skill) to pick [b]Major Steadman[/b]'s pocket: 0 [b]Phyllis[/b], you may act again.
Keeper only,Duration of mist, starting round 3: 1 Creature has 27/29 MP left.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:35 pm
by aine
Phyllis tries to see the incendiary. Is it the sort likely to blow up any second? Might this be a classic case of the frying pan and the fire?
Know,85 0

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Phyllis knew that incendiaries, unlike high explosive bombs, did not explode. They burned instead, and they were designed to set flammable things on fire. The one that had landed in the street just hadn't found anything to ignite. The way the air raids had worked was that incendiaries were dropped in the first wave in order to start fires and provide light for the bomber crews in the second wave, who would then be better able to see where to drop their high explosive payloads.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:30 pm
by aine
Hiding behind the umbrella, trying not to tremble, Phyllis makes her way towards and past the incendiary, hoping to put it between her and the giant bat thing. In the back of her mind she wonders if the Reverend is still alive; she saw him fall but after that there was just darkness.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Phyllis heard a flapping sound as she moved away from the incendiary, realizing too late that the creature could move and fly around the light source if she wasn't near it. Its massive mouth tried to take a bite out of her, but it had misjudged her location and missed her by a couple of feet. Its tail was a little more accurate, whipping toward her in an effort to wrap itself around her!
OOC,Boy's Conceal roll (55% skill) to pick [b]Major Steadman[/b]'s pocket: 0 Creature's Bite attack (65% chance) on [b]Phyllis[/b]: 1 Creature's Tail attack (90% chance) on [b]Phyllis[/b]: 2 [b]Phyllis[/b], please roll Dodge.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:07 pm
by aine
Dodge,You’re asking a 68 year old lady to dodge a giant bat?! :) 18 0

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy
The monster's tail wrapped around Phyllis's waist, as she could not react fast enough to avoid it. It was tight, and she could not move away, but she still had full use of her arms. The thing was incredibly strong, and even with her own formidable strength, it was unlikely she'd be able to break its hold.
OOC,No, I was just asking you to try. ;) It's your turn to act, [b]Phyllis[/b].

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:16 pm
by aine
Phyllis hooks the umbrella over her arm and opens her handbag. As quickly as she can she pulls out her hurricane lamp and rummages for some matches. She’ll try to light the lamp if she can.
Roll,?? 0

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:49 pm
by Mr. Handy
Phyllis fished her hurricane lantern and matches out of the handbag and struggled to light it. At the last second, as the creature's maw emerged from the mists and came right at her, the lantern flared into the life! The creature let out a hideous shriek of agony and released her, withdrawing into the surrounding fog, where she - perhaps thankfully - could not see what happened next.

"No, I summoned you!" shouted Major Steadman. "I command you to stop! I brought you the offering! I bear - the stone! Where is it? You little- no!" A loud gunshot rang out into the night. "No! Nooooo..." Then the only sound was Madeline's hysterical screaming.
OOC,Damage to creature from hurricane lantern: 0 [b]Major Steadman[/b]'s Handgun roll (40% skill) shooting at the creature: 1 Creature's Bite attack (65% chance) on [b]Major Steadman[/b]: 2 Creature's Tail attack (90% chance) on [b]Major Steadman[/b]: 3

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:33 pm
by aine
Phyllis stands, trembling, holding the lantern high, so relieved that the lamp worked. She can’t see through the most but strains her ears to hear. Her heart is beating like a hammer. “Come on, Phyllis old girl.” She mutters to herself. “You’re in a tight pickle but you’ve got to find Reverend Pennyfeather before it’s too late.” She wonders if this was how her husband, Bert felt in the middle of battle.

She takes a step towards where she thinks Archie might be lying; somewhere the other side of the incendiary where she heard Mrs Steadman screaming. And another step. “I hope the young lad is okay.” She thinks as she takes another step.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
Phyllis made her way toward the noise, and soon she emerged from the cloud of mist. Reverend Archie Pennyfeather still lay on his back on the ground gripping his revolver, unconscious and bleeding, but she could see that he was still alive because his chest still rose and fell. Madeline was still screaming her head off, but there was no trace of Major Steadman or the creature. The boy could still be seen running away into the darkness.

"It took him!" wailed Madeline.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:29 pm
by aine
“Come back!” Phyllis called to the boy, I need your help! We need an ambulance!” Hoping he’d heard her she kneels down by Archie.
“Hold on, Reverend, it’s Mrs Cruckshank here. We”ll get you sorted in a jiffy.” She unpeels the gun from his fingers and puts it in her handbag.
“Madeleine, pull yourself together, girl. Help me help the Reverend and then we’ll start looking for your husband, not that he deserves it, messing with dark forces; it’s all ended in tears and no mistake!”
Ooc,Can she do any first aid to stabilise Archie?

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:02 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b], please roll Fast Talk.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:41 pm
by aine
Fast talk,55 0

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:06 pm
by Mr. Handy
The boy kept running and soon vanished into the night. Madeline just kept screaming.
OOC,Please roll First Aid to try to help [b]Archie[/b]. He is stable, but this will revive and heal him. If you succeed, you may roll 1D3 to see how many HP he recovers.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:27 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie continues to bleed unconsciously. Little bubbles of blood might ooze out of his mouth.

Phyllis will find his blood soaked naval-issue bible in the jacket pocket over his heart. A bullet hole is drilled right through it, and then somewhat through Archie

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:21 pm
by aine
First aid,40 01
Phyllis watched the disappearing boy for a moment.
“Oh well, I can’t say I blame him. It’s just you and me, Reverend Pennyfeather; I think Mrs Steadman is a Lost Cause. Now let’s see what we’ve got.”
Phyllis opens Archie’s jacket.
“Oh my word; The Lord Preserves! He is watching over you that’s for sure. Now, I’m going to bind that bible tight and hopefully it will hold until we get you to a hospital.
“And now here’s something to wake you up.”
Phyllis rummages in her bag and pulls out a medicinal hip flask which she opens and dribbles some between Archie’s lips.

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:33 am
by Snapper
OOC,Mr H, can Archie revive just enough to have a few brief words with the heroic Phyllis before lapsing back into semi-consciousness?

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy
Archie gradually came to his senses and realized that he was not awakening in Heaven as he had expected, but still on Earth, lying on his back in the street. He knew he was still alive because of the intense pain.

"Put that light out!" shouted a woman's voice. "Put that light out!" She ran toward them from down the street, and she was wearing an air raid warden's uniform.
OOC,Yes, [b]Archie[/b] is awake now. He can stay awake if you like, but if you'd rather he lapsed into semi-consciousness, he can.

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 pm
by aine
Phyllis gripped Archie’s hand as she saw his eyelids flicker and then she looked up at the irate warden,
“Thank goodness you’ve come, my dear! This man is gravely wounded in his chest; he needs a stretcher or an ambulance.” Phyllis adjusts the flaps on the lantern so the light points downwards but she looks into the darkness warily.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:12 am
by Snapper
Archie:

"Ouwwwwwwwwwwwww," Archie groans. He looks at Phyllis. "Well, clearly I have not gone to my reward because this hurts a bit. But I am happy to see your kind face, brave Phyllis."

"Where are the Steadmans and the boy and...?" He also looks about, wondering where he left the Colt pistol.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh my!" gasped the warden. "I'll run off to the warden's post, call for an ambulance, and bring back a stretcher. And turn that light out, not just down! Do you want Gerry to come back and finish him off - and us with him?" Without waiting for a response, she ran back the way she had come.

Archie could see no sign of his pistol, or of Major Steadman, the boy, or the creature. The last of the mists dissipated. and Madeline Steadman came to her senses. She turned and fled in the opposite direction from the air raid warden.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:17 pm
by aine
“Don’t worry, I have it safe here.” Phyllis pats her handbag. “But we may have a problem explaining the bullet that’s in your chest.” She looks around. “I’m keeping the lamp burning whatever that warden says; that monstrosity could still be around and this lamp was the only thing that saved me from being eaten!

I think the beast took off with the major instead and Madeleine just kept on screaming. I couldn’t see what was happening because a black fog came up all around me.
The boy escaped thankfully; I saw him running in that direction.” She points.

“Oh my word, what a night! I’m sure Maggie won’t believe a word of it. At least if the Steadmans and the beast were here then they won’t be over the other side bothering Eugene and Sergeant MacDonald.”

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:42 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie's head lowers back to the road and he looks as relieved as circumstances allow.

"All good. You look after that for now, you might yet need it. And I was never cut out to be a Spartan at the gates anyway. I am just glad you are unhurt, that is most important. You should really get under cover from this air raid."

"And if you don't mind, I may just rest awhile now. Never fear, I'm going nowhere, just resting. Heavens, my CO is going to have coniptions when he hears I've been shot..." Archie grunts in amusement then immediately groans in pain. "No more jokes..." With a smile on his lips, he lapses back into semi-consciousness but his breathing remains audible.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:02 pm
by aine
Phyllis takes off her coat and gently puts it under Archie’s head. She tries to dim the lantern as much as she can without actually extinguishing it. And then she sits and waits, listening for the drones of aeroplanes and for other, even more sinister, sounds.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy
There were the distant sounds of airplanes and explosions, and they were getting closer, but they hadn't arrived yet. The air raid warden came running back carrying a stretcher. "I told you to put that thing out!" she shouted. "The second wave is coming any minute now! Here, help me get him on the stretcher and carry him back to the warden's post. That's where the ambulance will come to pick him up."

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:33 pm
by aine
Phyllis struggles to stand up. “Oo, my knees!” She exclaims. “I’ve been sat on that cold ground for too long. Here, help me up, dear.”
She then helps the warden lift Archie onto the stretcher. Reluctantly she douses the lamp.
“Let’s go quickly!”

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy
Phyllis and the air raid warden were strong enough together to bear the stretcher with Archie. They made their way to air raid warden's post, and by the time they got there, the ambulance had arrived. Irene Carpenter and Florence Bryant were there. "Oh, hello again!" said Irene. "Here, let's load him in the back. We can take him from here."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:57 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie briefly opens his eyes. He whispers, "Ladies, very nice to see you again. I'm sorry to be such a bother." His eyes turn to Phyllis. "I guess we should report to the authorities that the major went mad and shot me? Something like that. Everyone will assume it was because of his war injuries, I suspect. I'll leave it to your better judgement." With a sigh, he lapses into unconsciousness again.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:08 pm
by aine
Phyllis turns to the ambulance ladies, “Hello again, Irene. I’ll come too if you don’t mind. The Reverend’s been shot in his chest and I’ll need to report to the authorities.”

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Goodness!" gasped Irene, helping load the stretcher into the rear of the ambulance. "Of course you can ride in the back with him."

"You did a good job binding his wound, ma'am," said Florence. "He'll be all right until we get him to hospital."

Once Archie and Phyllis were safely ensconced in the back of the ambulance, the air raid warden returned to her duties, and Irene and Florence got in the front of the ambulance, which pulled away.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:04 pm
by aine
Phyllis braced herself against the wall of the ambulance as it rattled along the streets and thought back to the recent events.
She and Archie were incredibly lucky to be alive; she wondered what the beast had done with Major Steadman. Mrs Steadman would recover eventually and, in all likelihood, return to her mother. Phyllis wondered how they were getting on at the sanitarium.

Hadn’t Sergeant MacDonald and Eugene seen the beast too, which made them ‘susceptible’ ? Did that mean that she too was in danger? What did it all mean? And that boy had run off with the jewel into the East End and what did that mean for them all?
And had that old man recovered the dagger which they said could hurt the beast? Phyllis shivered; she found that hard to believe.
She clung on as the ambulance bounced across a series of potholes and then she looked at her watch but it had stopped.
“What time is it?” She called to Irene.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy
Irene was driving, but Florence checked her wristwatch. In spite of the darkness, the dial glowed. It had to be one of those radium watches. "It's almost half eight," she replied.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:32 pm
by aine
“Oh dear; the night is fr from over.” Phyllis thinks. She takes hold of Archie’s hand and squeezes it gently. “You remind me of one of those gallant missionaries, Reverend.” She whispers. “Fighting back the dark with a bible in one hand and a sword in the other.”

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy
Nothing came from Archie but a gentle snore.
OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b], is there anything you want to do before you reach the hospital?

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:19 pm
by aine
Phyllis smiles and then sits back and waits for the journey to end.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:10 pm
by Mr. Handy
Irene drove skillfully, and soon the ambulance pulled up in a hospital parking lot, just outside the emergency entrance. She and Florence got out and went around to the back, where they opened the door. "We've arrived," said Irene. "We took you to St. Bart's." A couple of orderlies emerged from the hospital and made their way over.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:01 pm
by aine
“Good, thank you, Irene. Will they be able to see Reverend Pennyfeather right away? Also, I need to make an urgent phone call to the Sanitarium if I may?” Phyllis climbs out of the ambulance, rather glad to be on solid ground again.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
"You're quite welcome, dear," said Irene.

"You can use the telephone in reception, ma'am," one of the orderlies told Phyllis as they took up the stretcher with Archie. "Don't worry, they'll treat him right away. Bomb shrapnel?"

"No, gunshot wound, of all things." Irene turned to Phyllis. "You take care and stay safe. Florence and I have to get back out there."

Phyllis followed the orderlies into reception, where she was allowed to use the phone. After a few rings, Anna picked up the phone on the other end.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:40 pm
by aine
“Oh, Dr. Jerkins, it’s Mrs Cruckshank here.” Phyllis speaks rather breathlessly. “Is everyone alright there? The Reverend and I are at St. Barts Hospital; the Reverend has been shot but they’re going to operate straight away. It was Major Steadman.

But, Dr. Jerkins, we’ve seen it; we’ve seen the great big bat beast and it was horrible; we were nearly done in! It flew off with the Major and it’s loose in London; it might come your way.” She stops for a pause.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy
"Poor Reverend Pennyfeather!" gasped Anna. "It sounds as though the Major was up to his neck in things, Mrs. Cruckshank. We're well over here, for the moment at least. The power has gone in the hospital so we are relying on candles and lanterns. Mrs. Exeter looks like she is up to something so I had better get back downstairs. I do hope the Reverend pulls through and the bat stays away from the sanatorium."

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:27 pm
by aine
“I’m glad you’re all okay. Would you mind asking Eugene and Sergeant MacDonald; well, you see, That dratted bat had its tail wrapped around my waist and, and I’m a bit worried I might be susceptible to its influence now. Could you ask them their opinion? I’d be very much obliged.
“I’ll let you go, dear; you know where to find me. Oh, I used my hurricane lamp to frighten the bat away so keep the lamps burning! Goodbye!”
Once Phyllis has said goodbye she’ll go to the waiting room and look for a cup of tea and a chair.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy
While Phyllis waited and had her tea in a waiting room in the basement that doubled as an air raid shelter, the medical staff treated Archie and did a decent job. Before long, a doctor with white hair came down to talk to Phyllis. "Your friend is very lucky, ma'am," he said. "That bullet could have killed him. If it hadn't lodged in his Bible, and if not for your quick action to stop the bleeding, he never would have survived to reach hospital. He's stable now and somewhat improved, though he will need extended bed rest before he can recover fully."
OOC,Doctor's Medicine roll (75% skill) treating [b]Archie[/b]: 0

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:22 pm
by Snapper
OOC:   Win! Although Archie won't be dancing any jigs for awhile.  

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:24 pm
by aine
“Oh thank you for saving him, Doctor! May I see him?” Asks Phyllis, much bouyed by the good news.

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
"You're quite welcome, ma'am," said the doctor. "Yes, he's awake now and able to receive visitors." He escorted Phyllis to a hospital room where Archie lay in bed, being fussed over by a pretty nurse. "i'm sure the police will have some questions about the shooting, I'm just not sure which police force has jurisdiction. If it happened here in the City of London, it'll be the City Police. If it wasn't, it'll be the London Metropolitan Police."

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:39 pm
by aine
“To be honest, I rather lost my bearings and I don’t know exactly where it happened.” Answers Phyllis. “Hello Reverend, how are you feeling? You look somewhat better than earlier.”

She turns back to the doctor. “Do you have the lucky bible? The one with the hole in it?”

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I do indeed," said the doctor. "It's on the bedside table. It was nothing less than a miracle."

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:31 pm
by aine
“It slowed the bullet down and saved your life, Reverend!” Phyllis whispers in a hushed tone. “Doctor, if it’s okay, I’d like to sit here for a while.” She sits in a chair next to the bed with a sigh and gets out her knitting.
“Oh my, look how many stitches I’ve dropped with all the going’s on!” She tuts and starts picking up the stitches with her needles, waiting for the doctor to leave.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy
After a little while, the doctor and the nurse left the room and gave Archie and Phyllis some privacy.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:13 pm
by aine
Phyllis peers at Archie to see if he is awake or dozing.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:05 pm
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie opens his eyes, looks about and gives Phyllis a small wave. "Clearly I still have not gone to my reward because it still feels a bit uncomfortable."

"Were you hurt, Phyllis? And what actually became of the Steadmans?"

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:12 pm
by aine
“We were both very lucky.” Admits Phyllis. “I had the monster’s tail tight round my waist at one point- and it created a cloud of darkness so I couldn’t see anything. Thank goodness the lantern scared it away.” Phyllis fills Archie in on all that happened.
“Poor Mrs Steadman ran screaming into the night and I rather fear Major Steadman came to a sticky end.
“And most unfortunately, the young lad ran off into the East End with the jewel; nothing good will come of that. But other than offering a reward for its return, I don’t know what else we can do.
“Oh, I spoke to Dr Jerkins a short while ago and they are all fine. For now.”

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:49 pm
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie sighs. "You were very clever though, convincing the lad to grab that thing. That's what saved all three of us. We live to fight another day and we can track that jewel thing down."

"The poor Steadmans. I still think part of the major's motivation was to help the war effort. Just in a terrible and misguided way. Now their mistakes have caught up with them. I will pray for them."

"And you say our brave friends are doing well at the sanatorium? I do hope they will be safe."

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:12 pm
by aine
“Well, they were okay just now but it’s still a long night ahead; that beast has plenty of time to find them. I wonder how it does that? What’s that new top secret thing they use at sea- radar? Could it track them down?” Phyllis is also rather worried for Archie and herself too.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:50 pm
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie gestures at the room around them. "We're in Bart's, are we not? Ironically, this is where I'm currently posted when I'm not laid up in bed. I don't think the lights will be going off in here tonight. You might give some thought to staying here till the light of day returns, if you are worried the creature may seek you out."

"I don't believe you could get back to the sanatorium during the air raid in any event."

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:15 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Radar, or Radio Direction Finding (RDF) as it was known at the time in the UK, was still a military secret at this point. The RAF's success at spotting the Luftwaffe was attributed largely to the Royal Observer Corps (who did play an important part). Still, [b]Archie[/b] and [b]Phyllis[/b] may have heard something.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:49 pm
by aine
Phyllis chuckles and looks up at the bright lights. “I don’t suppose it’ll be much interested in a little old lady. But yes, you’re right; this is probably the safest place in London bar The Palace.

“I won’t be able to ‘phone the others as they’ll be bunkered down now so I suppose it”ll be best to have a nap and wait for the All Clear. Now, is there anything you need, dear, other than rest?”
If Archie has no pressing needs, Phyllis will take a nap.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 am
by Snapper
Archie:

A weary Archie shakes his head feebly and pretty much falls back into sleep.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Archie[/b] and [b]Phyllis[/b], please roll Sanity for enduring the fourth night of the Blitz. Sanity loss is 0/1. It may be some time before the other threads finish out the night.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:42 pm
by aine
sanity,63 0
Ooc,I deduce from that that they are [i]not[/i] having a quiet night of it. My fingers are crossed for them.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:05 am
by Snapper
Archie:
SAN 83,0 [ooc]Archie's on a roll...[/ooc]

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy
aine wrote:
Ooc,I deduce from that that they are [i]not[/i] having a quiet night of it. My fingers are crossed for them.
OOC,You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment. :twisted:

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:04 am
by Snapper
OOC,:D

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy
At a little past nine o'clock, before they had fallen asleep, the nurse came in and let Phyllis know there was a telephone call for her from a Dr. Anna Jerkins.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:49 pm
by aine
Phyllis wakes up from a quiet snooze and tiptoes out of the room in case Archie is asleep.
“Hopefully she’s just checking everything is okay.” She thinks as she makes her way to the telephone and picks it up.
“Hello, Dr Jerkins? This is Phyllis Cruckshank speaking.”

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:55 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Hello Mrs. Cruckshank, I've some bad news," replied Anna. "Catherine Exeter has escaped." She paused. "She escaped into the sewers, I managed to catch her but then she slipped through our fingers again. Currently I am safe in the sanatorium with Eugene and Angus. How is the Reverend?"

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:19 pm
by aine
“The Reverend is well, thank goodness. He’s tired and needs lots of rest but the doctor patched him up. Can you believe: his bible in his breast pocket saved him.
So that means both Mrs Exeter and the bat are both loose in London. Do you think she can control it if she finds it? At least they are opposite ends of London, I suppose.” Phyllis stifles a yawn. “We’ve still got a long night to go. You must keep those lanterns burning, Doctor Jerkins.”

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy
"I don't know if she can control it, didn't she need that gem, whatever happened to that, did you find it?" says Anna. "I am glad Reverend Pennyfeather is well, saved by the grace of the Lord!"

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:21 pm
by aine
“We had a spot of bother about the gem. A young scamp pickpocketed it from the major and ran off with it. It could be anywhere now. Other than waiting until tomorrow and offering a reward, I can’t see how we can possibly get it back.” Phyllis replies dolefully.
“And with Catherine Exeter missing too we’re rather back at square one.”

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy
"If she doesn't have the gem I'd say that's good news for us. Although, I think that means the bat-thing is out of control," says Anna. "I'm not sure there's anything more we can do tonight but keep those lights burning."

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:17 pm
by aine
“You too. Good luck dear. Send our best to Eugene and Angus.”
Phyllis puts the phone down and goes back to the ward to snooze by Archie’s bed.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Archie and Phyllis slept soundly until the all clear sounded at around 6:00 AM.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:12 pm
by aine
Phyllis wakes and looks at her watch, winding it up. It’s morning and they are both still alive! She breathes a prayer of thanks. She tip tor’s out of the room to find a washroom and a cup of tea for herself and Archie.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy
Phyllis got some tea and breakfast for herself and Archie. The doctor then came in to check on him. "Good morning," he said. "How are you doing, Reverend?"

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie is cautiously sipping tea. "Well, Doctor, I fear this injury will mean the end of my boxing career. And I may never play the violin again."

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:57 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Could you play it before?" asked the doctor.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:33 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie grins feebly. "Well, no, nor box."

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:57 pm
by aine
Phyllis stifles a smile. “How long will he have to stay in bed, Doctor?” Phyllis asks.

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:31 am
by Mr. Handy
"My recommendation is about a week of bedrest," said the doctor. "We'll have you up and walking before that time, Reverend, but you're still weak and vulnerable. It's a good sign that you still have your sense of humour, however. Your recovery is coming along nicely."

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:58 am
by aine
“Thank you, Doctor that’s good news. Reverend, if you think you are safe enough here I could fetch you some clean clothes and anything else you might need from home; I could do with a tidy up myself. Then I will visit the sanitarium and then come back here for visiting hour. How does that sound?”

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:25 am
by Snapper
Archie:

"You are too kind, dear lady. Some clean items would be wonderful. I'm sure I will be totally safe here. I think your plan is a good one."

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:15 pm
by aine
Phyllis takes Archie’s house key and the address and then sets off on her errands in a logical order around town. She also plans to stop off at the sanitarium for a quick visit.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:16 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Archie[/b] is moving to the thread linked below:
Just the Facts
OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b] is moving to the thread linked below:
Together Again