Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 4-The Wounded(Elizabeth/Brook/Archie)

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy
St. Bartholomew's Hospital - London, England
9:30 AM - Wednesday, September 11, 1940

After Story, Phyllis, Eugene, and Anna left St. Bart's, Elizabeth, Brook, and Maggie remained with Archie in his hospital room.

Re: IC-Ep 4-The Wounded(Elizabeth/Brook/Archie)

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:40 am
by Snapper
Archie:

"Right-o. Do you three want to have a scout about, see if you can find Mrs Steadman while I get dressed?"

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy
"Sounds like a plan," said Brook. She, Elizabeth, and Maggie vacated the room while Archie put on his clothes. They came back not long after he was done.

"We found her in a room down the hall," said Elizabeth. "I could see the resemblance. She's lying in her bed now, but she's awake."

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:48 pm
by Snapper
Archie:

"Right, how is there somewhere we can set up to watch her door? Somewhere that won't get us into hot water with the hospital staff. And is there any other way out?"

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy
"There's nowhere to watch that isn't out in the open," said Elizabeth, "which would be the from hallway outside. All the other hospital rooms nearby are occupied. The air raids have been pretty bad. There is a fire exit at the end of the hall, though."

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:51 pm
by Snapper
Archie:

"Right, so this fire exit might be the way she would escape perhaps? I assume any other exit would take her past a nurse's station or the like?"

"Perhaps we should set up camp in the fire exit?"

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:12 am
by Mr. Handy
"Why would she need to escape?" asked Brook. "She's not a prisoner, just a patient. She can leave any time she likes, right out the front door."

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:58 am
by Snapper
Archie:

"Hmm, you are right of course. We really need to know if Mrs Steadman leaves or her mother, Mrs Exeter, arrives. Neither is breaking any law by doing so but we should stop try to stop them. Or convince them of the error of their ways? Not that I hold a lot of hope on that count."

"We need someone watching the entrance to see if the mother comes to visit. Perhaps we could take shifts at the entrance to the hospital?"

"Then is Mrs Exeter does visit, we must bear in mind they could leave via the fire escape."

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'll watch the entrance," said Maggie, leaving the room.

"Would her mother even know she's here?" asked Brook. "If she does show up, she's seen me and Elizabeth before."

"Maybe you're right," said Elizabeth. "Maybe we should try talking to Madeline, while her mother isn't around. She might not be too far gone yet."

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:30 am
by Snapper
Archie:

"No, I don't think approaching her is a good idea. We lose the element of surprise. And I've spoken with her. She is committed to her insane cause."

"Maggie, you watch the entrance. I'll come out and relieve you every so often. Brook and Elizabeth, be ready to act."

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy
"We can take turns looking out into the hall and see if anyone comes or goes from her room," said Brook. "I'll take the first watch." She stands in the doorway and observes the hallway.

"Her insane cause is a lost one now," said Elizabeth. "She's lost her husband and the Shining Trapezohedron."

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:58 am
by Snapper
Archie:

"Sounds like a good plan, let's do it." To Elizabeth, Archie adds, "I feel that Mrs Steadman and her mother, Mrs Exeter, particularly are still very dangerous. Don't give them any opportunity to hurt you."

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth nodded. "I know they can still kill," she said. "Catherine Exeter is definitely too far gone. I just feel bad about Madeline, is all."

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:18 am
by Snapper
Archie:

"As do I. Yet she and her husband seemed perfectly willing to sacrifice - literally - a teenaged boy. Not to mention all the other people who have been killed or maimed by their efforts."

"We can hope that somehow she comes to her senses, but in the meantime be absolutely in our guard."

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy
"Aye," said Elizabeth. "They brought it on themselves."

"A doctor just went into her room," Brook reported.

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:01 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie nods. "We can't really interfere with the hospital's normal running without drawing attention. As long as she doesn't try to kill the doctor..."

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"When she tries to kill people, it's where she isn't expecting any witnesses," said Brook. "I doubt she'll do it in broad daylight in the middle of a busy hospital."

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy
"She just left her room with the doctor," reported Brook after a while. "She's wearing her clothes and carrying her handbag, and they're walking toward the front entrance. I think she's leaving."

Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:54 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie sighs. "Come on, let's see what she's up to."

Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:10 pm
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth and Brook went with Archie out into the hall and followed Madeline and the doctor to the lobby.

"Thank you, Doctor," said Madeline, wiping her eyes with a handkerchief.

"If there's anything you need, Mrs. Steadman," replied the doctor, "don't hesitate to call."
OOC, [b]Archie[/b], please roll Hide if you're trying not to let her see you.

Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:04 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Spoiler:
Hide 10%: 1d100 40

Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Madeline didn't notice Archie, her back being too him as she headed for the front doors. Maggie was seated in a chair pretending to read a newspaper but peeking over the top of it.

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:39 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Wincing and holding his chest carefully, Archie slowly moves to the front doors then tries to look out through a window, if one is available.

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy
The windows were taped, but this being daytime, the blackout curtains were open, and he had no problem seeing outside. Madeline left through the front doors and headed down the street to the south, in the direction of Newgate Street and St. Paul's.

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:25 am
by Snapper
Archie:
Spoiler:
Are there any spare wheelchairs about?

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Archie[/b], please roll Luck.

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:14 am
by Snapper
Archie:
Spoiler:
Luck 90%: 1d100 33

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy
There were two unattended wheelchairs sitting in the lobby. It didn't look like anyone would notice if Archie were to borrow one of them.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:02 pm
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie staggers over to a wheelchair and plops down. "Come on ladies, someone take the invalid out for some fresh air. And more to the point, let's see if we can follow our friend."

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
Brook pushed Archie outside in the wheelchair, followed by Elizabeth and Maggie. They followed Madeline down the street, In the distance ahead rose the magnificent dome of St. Paul's Cathedral, as yet undamaged by the bombs, though the area in front of the cathedral was cordoned off by air raid wardens.

"Oh, I heard about this!" said Elizabeth. "A UXB struck St. Paul's. If it had gone off, it could have destroyed it. It made a hole in the ground when it hit, so it's hard for them to get to it, and they have to be very careful. That's why it took- will take a while before they can get to it."

Madeline wasn't going all the way to the cathedral anyway. She went into the entrance to St. Paul's Underground Station and started down the stairs, which would not accommodate a wheelchair.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:25 am
by Snapper
Archie:

Archie gives Elizabeth a quizzical look but moves on.

Spoiler:
Does Archie feel capable of moving around? Can he walk down the underground?

Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:10 pm
by Mr. Handy
Archie had to leave the wheelchair behind, but he was able to walk down the stairs with support from Brook. The four of them followed Madeline downstairs and paid their fare. She went to the westbound platform.

Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:51 am
by Snapper
Archie:

"I suggest we hold back a bit then board with the last passengers, and in another car," Archie wheezes.

Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy
The ladies did as Archie suggested. Madeline boarded one of the frontmost cars as part of the morning crowd. Archie, Elizabeth, Brook, and Maggie boarded the car behind hers with the last of the passengers. It wouldn't be easy to keep an eye on Madeline from there to be sure when she got off, but there was no danger of her seeing them, at least.
OOC, [b]Archie[/b], please roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:31 pm
by Snapper
Archie:

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 40%: 1d100 5

"Does anyone know if there is a location our friends will be today, where we might place a telephone call to alert them Mrs Steadman is on the move?"

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:39 am
by Mr. Handy
"They'll probably go back to St. Bart's when they're done," said Elizabeth. "They'd be expecting to find us still there."

"I can head back there to meet up with them once we find out where she's going," said Maggie.

Archie kept a careful eye on Madeline, and he saw her alight from the train once it reached Queensway.

Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:21 am
by Snapper
Archie:

"Right, no rest for the wicked. Let's see if we can decide where she's going."

Clutching his chest with one hand and clutching one of the others for support with the other, Archie staggers up and off the train.

Spoiler:
Does Archie have any idea what - of interest to Mrs Steadman - is at Queensway?

Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy
The ladies helped Archie off the train and up the stairs, following Madeline to the surface. When they saw her head down a street to the north, Archie recalled that this was the way to her home.

Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:26 am
by Snapper
Archie:

"Right, I think we can assume Mrs Steadman is heading home. Maggie, can you make your way to the others and let them know."
Spoiler:
Was the Steadman place a long way from the underground station?

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"Will do, Reverend," said Maggie, heading back underground.

The house is only a short walk from the station.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:48 am
by Snapper
Archie:

"Let's give her five minutes to get home then just go for a slow walk near the house. It might give us an idea if anyone else is there."

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth and Brook readily agreed and waited five minutes before proceeding north after Madeline. When they reached the front of her house, they could see that the blackout curtains in the front windows had been opened, and light was visible from within.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:33 pm
by Snapper
Archie:

Clutching his chest and nodding, Archie looks satisfied. "I think we can say she's gone home. Not much else to be done. We can't barge in, even if we did, she could just call for the police. And she is undoubtedly dangerous."

"I think we look for a cafe in or near the underground station. If she decides to leave, we will hopefully see her. Unless she takes a taxi of course. Not much to be done otherwise. We sit tight and keep a look out."

Spoiler:
I don't think there's much else damaged Archie can do here but sit tight and hopefully spot Mrs S if she heads back.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth and Brook went with Archie to a cafe facing the road to the north leading to the Steadman house, where they sat and began to watch.

You are capable of moving around and doing things, but you are at 2 HP. The slightest injury will knock you out, and anything worse could very well kill you.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:07 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
In the circumstances, I think watching from a cafe represents about as much as Archie possibly could do. I'm happy for you to jump forward to later in the day or put us on hold for a bit, whatever is easiest for the story.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
That works. I think I will have to put this thread on hold for a little while the other thread catches up, but hopefully it won't be long.

Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:28 am
by Snapper
Spoiler:
All good.

Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
Feel free to talk to Elizabeth and Brook while you wait.

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:27 pm
by Mr. Handy
Everyone is moving to the thread linked below:

Endgame