Page 1 of 1

Chapter 1: One of Our Students is Missing

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:51 am
by HoneyDog
Monday, April 1st, 1929

7am

Arkham, Massachusetts

The sun is shining and the sky is clear over Arkham, making a welcome respite to the incessant rain of the weekend. Maybe the weather for Spring Break will be pleasant, after all.

Opening the Arkham Gazette, readers are able to learn about the following tragedy which has struck the town.

University Student Missing On Camping Trip

Richard Cardigan, a junior at Miskatonic University, remains missing today. Authorities report that he apparently was the victim of a camping accident.
Fellow camper and friend Henry Atwater was discovered early Sunday morning wandering the streets of west Arkham, suffering from amnesia, and is currently hospitalized.
The young men left for their trip from Arkham on Thursday, to return on Saturday.
Police located the campsite beside the river a half-mile northwest of Cabot Road, but found no trace of Richard Cardigan. A search for the missing student was abandoned for the day after a violent thunderstorm erupted. Police and volunteers plan to resume the search again.
More volunteers are welcome, and are requested to meet after day-break at the Cabot Road dead-end. Cabot Road runs north of the Aylesbury Pike about three miles northwest of Arkham.

Atwater’s Condition

Though physically well, Atwater suffers from amnesia and has been entered in Arkham State Sanitarium. Doctors foresee a full recovery.
Police hope he can soon add details to their knowledge, and help locate the missing Cardigan. They speculate that the youths may have been struck by lightning Friday evening, and fear that Cardigan may have been seriously or fatally injured.

Re: Chapter 1: One of Our Students is Missing

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:18 pm
by Philulhu
His morning run and shower out of the way, Professor Bruce Patterson was sat at his breakfast table drinking coffee when he saw the article about the missing student. As he read on, he recognised the names of Cardigan and Atwater - both of whom he had seen at the debating society, an extra-curriculum activity he helped to organise.

Concerned for the two young men, he glanced at the calendar. He didn’t have any formal teaching on a Monday, just a couple of seminars he was fairly sure could be re-organised, so taking some time out to help search for the missing student shouldn’t present an issue. Resolving to see if he could help out, Bruce finished his coffee and went to get dressed.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:05 am
by SunlessNick
Emily isn't familiar with either of the students, but knows that if Cardigan is hurt, then time is of importance.

She goes into work at the Exhibit Museum normally, but asks Dr Grewe for permission to skip back out and join the search. "I think I can help, sir."

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice Stanton reads the article over her breakfast and morning coffee. When she goes in to work today she intends to see if there's anything she can do to help in the search.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:37 am
by Silver Priest
As a member of the debating society, Henry is somewhat dismayed by the misfortune befalling both of the students. Atwater's condition intrigues him; he's by no means an expert on psychology, but he has a passing interest in it and perhaps could assist in retrieving the lad's memories. And thanks to his occasional hunting trip he felt confident he might be able to help track down Cardigan, and provide him with medical attention if he did. He decides to join the other volunteers in looking for him later today.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:26 am
by aine
Garland Fortesque is up at the crack of dawn for training. As he bounds down the stairs he sees a hubbub of students clustered round the hall table where the newspapers have been freshly delivered.
One of the students, Ian Wier, is a good friend of Cardigan and is obviously very upset. Garland Fortesque scans the paper and announces he will combine today’s training routine with a run up Cabot Road to join the search and he’ll keep running until he finds Cardigan. Who is probably sleeping off too many mules in some picturesque glade or other. Don’t worry, old chap!

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:19 pm
by Starspawn338

Harrison is in an unusually good mood as he rises today. It's April Fools Day and he's ready for the antics of the day. However, opening the newspaper he quickly realizes that today is not going to be a good day. He reads through the article and eats a hearty breakfast. Instead of pranks, today will be a slog through the woods and around the river looking for another missing student. He feels a knot tighten in the pit of his stomach and hopes that this time everything will be normal. His gut feeling says otherwise as he heads down to where the volunteers are gathering for today's search.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:46 am
by HoneyDog
Alice, I take it that Alice won't be joining the search, then? If she wants to, she can get permission from her boss. It's a slow day.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice gets permission from her boss to help in the search, seeing as she has experience in similar matters.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:50 am
by HoneyDog
Those wanting to help with the search make their way out to the site of the tragedy. Heading north-east out of Arkham, the Aylesbury Pike borders the dense Billington’s Woods on its right side. After a few miles comes the turn off for Cabot Road, which runs adjacent to Cabot Creek, that flows into the Miskatonic River.

At the end of Cabot Road, a volunteer directs where to park cars, and shows how to get to the search site upriver. It is a hike along the overgrown riverbank of about a half-mile. Luckily, although the ground is sodden from the rain, the sky is clear and the temperature pleasant. Birds sing and fish can be seen swimming in the calm river waters. The occasional heron peeks out of the rushes.

Soon enough, visitors reach the campsite, which is a hum of activity. Half-a-dozen policemen are there, together with around a dozen searchers. Groups are formed and directed where to search. Our heroes, arriving late, find themselves placed together.
OOC, You can get acquainted / reacquainted before the search begins. I’ll accept a successful Luck roll from Alice or Harrison.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:52 am
by SunlessNick
Emily mumbles hellos to everyone, then repeats them with a bit more forced brightness.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:58 am
by Starspawn338
OOC, Seeing if I can get dice rolled to show. I failed my luck roll.
OOC:   Luck: 1d100 95  

Harrison introduces himself to his team.

"Greetings. I am Harrison Matthews. I'm a student at Miskatonic and just had to come down to volunteer my services. I do hope we are able to find the missing boy."

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:50 am
by Silver Priest
"Henry Appleton," Henry says. He pushes his thick black frames up his nose and regards the group. "I'm somewhat experienced with tracking due to my time hunting, and I'm training to be a doctor. If any of you find trace of Richard please contact me at once."

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:58 pm
by Philulhu
Bruce recognised a few faces from the campus and nodded hellos. Professor Patterson from Natural History,” he said with a friendly smile. “But please call me Bruce.”

He was dressed in hiking boots and gaiters to protect his legs as they explored the undergrowth, with a stout stick in case it was required.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:28 pm
by aine

Garland Fortesque speaks to the search supervisor who directs him over to the group. He bounces over, his legs are mud splatted. He pulls on a jumper over his running attire.
“Hullo! Hullo! A pleasure to meet you all; I’m Garland Fortesque Throckmorton but most people here just call me ‘Fort’. I’m an under graduate at the university.
“How do we go about becoming bloodhounds then?” He smiles.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:40 pm
by Philulhu
Bruce looked around. He was definitely the eldest and guessed he might be the most experienced, too.

He cleared his throat. “If you haven’t done this sort of thing before, then the most important thing is to go steady. It ain’t a race - it’s more important that we don’t miss anything. I suggest you get yourself a stick like this...” he held his up, “So you can move brambles and the like out of the way. Better than doing it with your hands, save yourself getting all cut up.”

“When we set off, keep whoever is to the left and right of you in sight. That way we know we’re covering the ground evenly. And if you lose sight of them, just holler. Don’t walk off or we’ll have two missing persons we’re looking for.”

“We could be out for a while so I hope you brought some water. He tapped the canteen that hung from his belt. “If you haven’t, I’ve got a couple of spares in the trunk of my car. Just ask.” He grinned and said, “And if you’ve already filled up with water and you’re not sure you’re going to be able to hold it for the next few hours, you might want to find a bush or a tree now, rather than going while we’re out there, with us all hanging around, knowing what you’re doing...”

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:00 am
by SunlessNick
Emily has worked a few sites during her course, so she's prepared for the twin concerns about water. But she takes the advice to get herself a stick.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice is extremely fortunate. She has come well prepared, with her own canteen, and she has already used the bathroom before heading out to the woods. She is sure to pick up a stick. "I'm Alice Stanton," she tells the others. "I'm one of the secretaries at the university. I do have prior experience with searching for missing persons. It's good to see you again, Harrison."

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:01 am
by SunlessNick
"Emily Rider, I work in the Exhibit Museum right now. I've been on some archaeological digs, so I know how to look for traces."

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:10 pm
by HoneyDog
As the searchers chat and discuss their course of action, a man breaks away from the group of policemen and makes his way over to the group. He’s obviously tired, and his suit is dirty, but the friendliness in his voice cannot be disguised as he holds out his hand to Alice.

Miss Stanton! It’s good to see you.”
Alice, It's Detective Harden. He'll talk.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:40 pm
by aine
Fort collects a canteen from the car, slinging it over his shoulder. Then he goes in search of a stick and comes back with something hefty nearly 6’ long.
“It was this or only tiddlers left.” He gives a few swings with it and then falls in at the back of the group.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good morning, Detective Harden," says Alice, shaking his hand with a smile. "It's good to see you too, but I wish it were under better circumstances. I'm here to help with the search. How are things going so far?"

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:17 am
by HoneyDog
Harden spots Harrison and shakes hands with him too.

“You’re here to look for Cardigan, then” he says. Giving the rest of the group the once-over, he motions to Alice and Harrison to join him, and moves away so they cannot be heard.
Alice & Harrison, “I trust you both, but please keep these details to yourself for now. We haven’t found any sign of him yet. The rain stopped us from making a thorough examination of the site, but although we are public with the theory of a lightning strike, we didn’t see any signs of it, nor are there any burn or scorch marks on their camping gear. We thought it was lightning because that was all Atwater could say when he was found.” He glances anxiously at the trees. “Near their campsite, we found a small shovel, with traces of blood on it. Detective Stuckey is at the sanitarium now to question Atwater.”

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:39 pm
by aine
Fort looks around the clearing and the somber groups.
‘I say, this is all rather more serious than I was expecting. I thought the poor chap had just gotten lost and fallen asleep but that policeman seems very hush hush about it.”

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 pm
by Starspawn338

Harrison will nod and shake hands with Detective Harden. He follows him and tries not to react to the news. He's certainly not surprised. This is exactly what he had feared.

"We'll let you know if we find anything."

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:45 am
by Philulhu
Bruce said nothing but he wondered what was going on between Alice, Harrison and the third man, who seemed to be with the police, although it wasn’t anyone he knew from town.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:54 am
by SunlessNick
aine wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:39 pm ‘I say, this is all rather more serious than I was expecting. I thought the poor chap had just gotten lost and fallen asleep but that policeman seems very hush hush about it.”
"Maybe the other guy said something," Emily says. "If it's bad enough to need a policeman here we should get started."

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:23 am
by Silver Priest
Henry frowns, a bit put out by not being included in the conversation with the officer-- he was one of Cardigan's best chances if the student was in dire straits.

"He's very likely to be lost and disoriented, I'm afraid. Some sort of shock would be my guess. Hopefully we've be able to find him before the night falls." He too was eager to get started.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alice. "Did anyone bring dogs? They might be able to track him. The shovel could give them the scent."

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:05 am
by HoneyDog
Alice & Harrison, Harden nods. “We should rejoin your party.”
Alice, Harrison and the detective rejoin the group.

“We’re starting in the woods” the Detective says. “You begin at the edge, here, and the others groups will go further in.”

He gives everyone instructions on how to search, and the investigators get to work.

It is tiring work, going over the ground, looking for any signs of passage. A couple of hours pass. The need to stop for water breaks is obvious, and it is during one of these that a large number of crows can be seen squabbling and squawking as the congregate further up the bank, in the opposite direction to where the search is being conducted.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:16 pm
by Silver Priest
"We should be searching over there," Henry says. "Those crows must be circling for a reason. Chances are they've found a dead or injured animal and are waiting for it to expire."

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's go toward the birds," says Alice. "At least I hope it's just an animal."

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:34 pm
by aine
“This has been a very slow and hot Hare and Hounds” complains Fort. “Those birds might have found something at least.”
He follows the others along the bank towards the crows.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:10 pm
by Philulhu
Bruce casts around and finds a large stick, which he pushes into the ground to mark their progress, should they need to return to it, and then joins the others.

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:07 am
by SunlessNick
Emily takes note of Bruce's action and does the same at her part of the line, before following toward the birds too.

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:21 am
by HoneyDog
As the group draws closer, they can see the crows pecking at something which protrudes from the sandy bank. It is only at the last minute that they all take off with a thunderous rush of wings.

What they expose, is a partially buried corpse, lying face down, its top half visible. It is bloated from water exposure, and the stench is awful. The damage from the crows is easily apparent – portions of the left shoulder are pecked, and the left ear is missing.
OOC, All except Henry roll SAN at seeing the corpse. If you pass only lose 1 point, but if you fail, roll 1d4+1 for loss!

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:00 am
by SunlessNick
OOC,SAN 45. Rolled 1D100: 78. Rolled 1D4+1: 4.
"Uuch, I'm going to be sick," Emily coughs - she bends over, takes a few deep breaths, but manages to keep it down.

"Is it him?"

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:44 am
by Philulhu
This wasn’t the first dead body Bruce had seen - animal corpses being a relatively frequent occurrence while out in the wild - but as far as Bruce could recall this was the first human one he had seen. He was trying to hold it together for the sake of the students but when he caught the stench, he just had to stagger off to throw up...
SAN, SAN - rolled 89 vs 55 (https://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceVerifier?RID=9a6e8b55-f812-4cbe-8439-8ab20df82f45) SAN loss - 2 (https://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceVerifier?RID=ad86c364-c57b-4740-ae9c-549a88bd7875) Not a great start for the Prof!

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:17 pm
by Silver Priest
Henry peers down at the corpse. Unlike the others, the site hardly phased him; his mild revulsion is easily overwhelmed by his sense of fascination. Every corpse was like a puzzle to be put together, and he puts his considerable talents to work to understand what happened here.
OOC:   I'll attempt a medicine roll to see if I can learn anything about the cause of death.  
Medicine 70, [url=https://orokos.com/roll/881947]Medicine 70[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]37[/b]

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:10 pm
by aine
San, 55 roll: 94 and 1+1
Fort sees the corpse and immediately feels the blood draining from his head. It is the thought of the crows peck-pecking at the flesh...
He turns away and leans against a tree, waiting for the buzzing in his ears to quieten.

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice has seen much worse, but the sight of the corpse being eaten still disturbs her a little.
OOC, I had lost 2 Sanity points in The Bosworth House so far. Do those events still count as having happened, or do I get them back?

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:08 am
by Starspawn338
Harrison was not prepared to find a corpse. As the body is uncovered, he stumbles back toward the main camp and retches.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:25 am
by HoneyDog
Mr. Handy, This continues from A Little Knowledge, so The Bosworth House never happened.
Henry, Henry can see that the skull has been severely damaged, probably from being impacted by something hard.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:56 pm
by Silver Priest
"Look here." Henry points at the head. "The skull damage suggests something impacted it hard. That's likely what killed them."

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:12 pm
by Philulhu
Bruce rinsed out his mouth with a mouthful of water from his water bottle, coughed and spat on the ground. Holding the collar of his shirt up over his nose to try to block out the smell, he carefully approached the body.

“Is that Cardigan?” he asked, voice muffled by his shirt.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:45 pm
by aine
“Ur, I could run down and tell that policeman.”
It seems a marvellous idea to Fort; anything to get away for a moment into some fresh air and normality.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:45 am
by SunlessNick
"Can I come with you?" Emily asks weakly.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good idea," says Alice, who remains near the body.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:46 am
by HoneyDog
The others stay with the body as Fort and Emily go to fetch the police. A short time later they return with a few officers in tow, including Harden.

Harden looks over the corpse.

“Picked a spot too close to the river” says one of the uniformed officers. “Rising water must have uncovered it. S’why we didn’t see it before.”

“Would have washed away most of any physical evidence too” says Harden, not looking up from the corpse. He instructs one of the cops to fetch a camera from his car, and to radio for an ambulance. After he returns, Harden instructs him to take photographs of the site.

“I’m going to left the body up a little, to try and get an I.D.” he says. He raises the head, looking at the face closely, comparing it with a photo from his pocket.

“Yes, this is Cardigan he eventually says.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:15 pm
by Philulhu
“That doesn’t look a lot like a lightning strike to me, Detective,” said Bruce quietly, as he watched from nearby.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:35 pm
by HoneyDog
“No” says Harden quietly. “I never heard of someone being buried by lightning.”

After the photos are complete, a shovel is provided by one of the officers, and they begin to carefully dig Cardigan out. Flies buzz around, adding to the general discomfort. Some of the investigators, especially those who knew Cardigan, may feel a bit overwhelmed by these events.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:57 pm
by aine
Fort sits on a nearish log, facing the other direction and smoking a quality cigarette. He offers one to anyone who wants one.
“Beats me why anyone would go camping in that rain anyhow. Has he still got a haversack lying around about?”

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:01 pm
by Silver Priest
"He was a good fellow," Henry says, the closest to sentimentally he gets.

He refuses the cigarette,a frown on his face. Things did not add up here, and it bothers him. All he knew was that lightning did not kill this man.

"We may need to speak with Atwater and try to get sense out of him. He's the only one who knows what happened here."

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:18 pm
by Philulhu
“Not necessarily,” replied Bruce. ”He was with Cardigan but that doesn’t mean that he was the only one there.”

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:27 pm
by SunlessNick
Emily accepts a cigarette, grateful for the smell and taste to cover up that of the body. She's used to using a camera, but didn't think to bring one on this expedition - still she offers her services if it would help. Otherwise she casts about on the ground around the burial site, looking for any sign of either student's belongings.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:27 am
by HoneyDog
OOC, The police would have taken away the belongings.
Henry & Bruce & Alice & Harrison, As the policemen begin to lift the body out of the shallow grave, a filthy, wizened hand suddenly shoots out from underneath the body, accompanied by a hideous, sanity splitting wail. It grabs the arm of one of the police officers, who cries out in surprise and fear. The men drop the body an instinctively back away. [ooc]All roll SAN to witness this. Success equals 1 loss, failure – roll 1d6+2[/ooc]
Emily & Fort, Both investigators hear a horrible, insane shriek from the direction of the grave, and the policemen crying out in surprise and fear.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:51 am
by Silver Priest
Henry takes a step backwards, his eyes wide in alarm. Thankfully he is more intrigued than scared by the sight, however. As the policeman backs away he leans forward to study the hand.
San roll pass, [url=https://orokos.com/roll/882408]San 75[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]14[/b]

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice is almost unaffected. Perhaps her frequent exposure to horror has inured her. While Henry steps away, she moves forward. "There's someone alive down there!" she calls, trying to assist the police to move the body. "We have to help!"

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:22 am
by Starspawn338

Harrison is wiping his mouth when he hears the wailing. Looking over to what is causing it, he immediately wishes he hadn't. The sight of the hand reaching up combined with the horrid scream causes him to retch again.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:37 am
by Philulhu
OOC, SAN roll: 8/53 - https://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceVerifier?RID=a12b8162-c9c5-4267-9ed7-000921851b80 SAN loss: 1
Alarmed, Bruce staggered back. “What in God’s name was that?!”

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:01 pm
by SunlessNick
Jumping out of her skin, Emily turns back toward the scream. "What happened?" she asks. "Did you say there's someone alive?"

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:10 pm
by aine
Fort jumps up in consternation. “By golly, are you alright, Miss Stanton?” He isn’t at all sure who shrieked but everyone around the corpse looks alarmed.
He stubs out the cigarette, gives a look to Emily and walks over to see what’s happened, rather hoping it’s not too nasty.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:46 am
by Philulhu
“Don’t get too close!” cautioned Bruce. He’d slept outdoors more times than he could remember and even the sound of a mountain lion sniffing around his tent one night hadn’t spooked him as much as that scream had!

He gripped his stick firmly. Whatever that arm belonged to, he had a bad feeling about it.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:40 am
by HoneyDog
Harden rallies the other officers.

“Come on” he says. “Get the corpse up!”

They pull Cardigan’s body out and lay it on the sand, discovering another body underneath – or at least at first glance, they might be fooled into thinking there’s another cadaver.

The other occupant of the grave attempts to stagger up. It is male – gaunt, feeble, with blackened skin as if he has been scorched. He is bald, with only tatters of rags attached to him, and seems to have a hunched back.

Unable to get up, he reaches his hands imploringly to the bystanders.

HenryHenry Atwater!” he cries. He collapses before the shocked onlookers.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm fine," says Alice, remarkably calm. She renders the injured man what medical aid she can. "We need to get him to the hospital."

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:40 am
by HoneyDog
“Can you take him? We need to stay with the body” asks Harden. He indicates one of the officers. Officer Yoder here will escort you. Follow him to St. Mary’s.”

The officers pick up the unconscious man and take him to the cars. Yoder blasts his siren, and the companions pile into their transport and follow.

At the hospital, the man is admitted into the care of the medical staff. While Yoder goes to call in, the investigators discuss events.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:02 am
by Silver Priest
"Hopefully they can get something out of him." Henry says. "But the next course of action seems quite clear-- we need to speak with Atwater. I imagine the police will be doing so very soon, so any of us so interested should probably head off sooner than later. " This mystery is intriguing to him, and he wants to see where it leads.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:39 pm
by Starspawn338

Harrison is able to compose himself on the way to the hospital and he goes over everything they have learned so far, which isn't much. Once at the hospital, he speaks with the others gathered there.

"We do need to speak to Henry Atwater but we don't know anything about this other man that was found. What was he doing buried underneath Cardigan? How did he know the boys? He seems older and so gaunt, as if they found him out in the wild." Harrison muses. "Is it possible that he can be brought to consciousness and questioned before we go see Henry? We have an opportunity right now with Officer Yoder gone."

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:32 pm
by SunlessNick
Emily bums another cigarette from Fort if she can - the scream was rattling enough - she can't imagine what it must have been like to be right by it. "He sounded like he was trying to tell us something about Mr Atwater," she says of Harrison's suggestion.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:10 pm
by aine
“The poor chap must have been beside himself; what a situation to be in!” Fort shudders and digs out his cigarettes, passing one to Emily.
“Do you think he was like that all night? And he looked burnt. Perhaps it was he who was struck by lightning. I wonder who he is.”

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:55 pm
by Philulhu
“I wondered the same thing,” said Bruce, thoughtfully. “We were told that Atwater and Cardigan were missing, no mention of a third person.”

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:37 am
by Silver Priest
"I'm not sure they'll let us in to see this stranger," Henry says. "He seems in pretty bad shape. No harm in asking though I suppose, if one of you has an idea that might work."

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:10 am
by Philulhu
“Well, if being a Professor at Miskatonic University counts for anything, I might be able to get us in,” said Bruce.

He approached the nurses’ desk. “Excuse me, nurse? I’m Professor Patterson from the Miskatonic University. One of our students - Richard Cardigan - lost his life in an accident yesterday. The poor fellow in there was found with his body earlier today. I need to find out what we can from him about the events that lead to Mr Cardigan’s death.”

”May we speak with him please?”

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:36 am
by HoneyDog
“I’m sorry, Professor” says the nurse. “The doctor said absolutely no visitors for that patient right now.”

She turns away and busies herself with other duties.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Could we perhaps speak to the doctor?" asks Alice.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:56 am
by HoneyDog
"I'm sorry, you'll have to come back later" replies the nurse.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, we will," says Alice. She speaks to the others. "We could go try to see Henry Atwater."

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:06 am
by Silver Priest
Henry looks a bit smug that he was right but gives a nod of agreement.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:40 am
by Philulhu
“Short of trying to sneak in,” said Bruce quietly, “I’m not sure what our options are.”

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:15 am
by Silver Priest
"We're unlikely to be allowed to see Atwater either," "Henry admits. "But it's probably worth a try. We could also examine missing person cases and see if our mystery man matches any of them."

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:22 am
by SunlessNick
"That detective you know," Emily says to Alice and Harrison, "Detective Harden, right? Could you get anything out of him, maybe?"

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We can see," says Alice. "He might also be able to get us access."

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:18 pm
by aine
“I saw a film recently where the girl pretended to be the chap’s sister. She got into a right muddle further along but it was a good lark to start with. Can’t remember what it was called though.” Says Fort trying to be helpful.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe we should stick to the truth," says Alice. "I'd rather avoid right muddles."

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:20 am
by Philulhu
“I’m inclined to agree,” said Bruce. ”Leastways, I can’t be seen to be mis-representing the University if it goes wrong. Let’s try your Lieutenant Harden first.”

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:21 am
by HoneyDog
OOC, Harden was still at the river when you left him. You could see if you can gain access to Atwater at Arkham Asylum.

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"He's probably still at the scene by the river," says Alice. "We should try the asylum first, since we're in town now. If they won't let us see Henry Atwater, then we can talk to Detective Harden."

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:09 pm
by Philulhu
“Fair enough,” replied Bruce. He was aware of the asylum but, until now, had not any reason to visit the large, brooding building. He understood the need for such institutions, but hoped to God he would never end up in one. To be locked away, unable to go out and explore the great outdoors would be purgatory for him.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:18 am
by HoneyDog
The investigators decide to head for Arkham Sanatarium, after a stop for lunch.

At that dark, brooding building, they ask admittance to Henry Atwater, and are asked to wait. Presently they are greeted by the sight of the imposing figure of Dr. Hardstrom, head of the asylum, who is curious as to their business.

”May I ask your relationship to Mr. Atwater?” he asks.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:47 am
by Philulhu
“Thank you for seeing us, Dr Hardstrom,” said Bruce. “I am Professor Bruce Patterson of Miskatonic University. Mr Atwater is one of our students.”

“He was camping with another student when an incident took place and that student was killed. We are working with the police to try to determine what happened.”

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:20 pm
by aine
Fort tries to hide behind the others, he too is very uncomfortable here and he tries not to start every time there’s a shout or groan from the far-off inmates.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"And I'm Alice Stanton," says Alice. "We found the remains of the other student, as well as a living man who was buried underneath him. You can check with Detective Harden when he gets back. He knows us. He's probably still out there."

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:37 pm
by Starspawn338

"I do hope he's going to get better. I'm sure what happened was a shock to him but seeing his friends from school aught to cheer him up a bit." Harrison offers.

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:23 am
by HoneyDog
Hardstrom rubs his chin thoughtfully.

”Yes, it might help” he muses. Turning to Patterson, he asks,

“Are you a professor of Medicine, by chance?”

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:07 am
by Silver Priest
Henry had up tot his point stayed silent hoping they'd get to meet with Atwater. He seemed to be the key to this mystery. But when Hardstrom asks his question, he can't help but to interject.

"I'm a graduate student in medicine. I have stellar grades and would be happy to offer any assistance in this matter and my old friend Henry."

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:41 am
by HoneyDog
Hardstrom brightens when hearing this news.

”Good, good” he says. “Well, seeing some familiar faces might help. He’s been mostly incoherent since he was brought in yesterday. We had him sedated this morning, but suspended it to see if his memory had started to return.”

He begins walking; the companions will need to catch him up.

“The police are with him now.”

Hardstrom opens a corridor door and gestures the companions through. Up ahead, a heavyset man with the look of a police detective is leaving a room up ahead.

“Thats the room. I’ll give you ten minutes; I don’t want to exert him.”

The policeman is heading towards them.

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:30 am
by Philulhu
Bruce looked at Henry. “I believe that question was addressed to me, Mr Appleton,” he said dryly. Turning to Hardstrom, he replied, “Regretfully not. I teach Natural History.”

As the policeman approached, he said, “Excuse me, officer. I’m Professor Patterson from the University. Mr Atwater is one of our students. Has he said anything about what happened?”

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"And I'm Alice Stanton," says Alice again. "I'm a friend of Detective Harden."

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:23 pm
by SunlessNick
Having been given permission to go to Henry Atwater's room, Emily tries to sidle along the right door rather than get caught up with the police detective (which she's pretty sure will be counting towards our time).

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 pm
by Starspawn338
Like Emily, Harrison will bypass the policeman and head straight to Henry's room.

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 pm
by Silver Priest
Henry follows the others, looking somewhat chastened by the professor's correction.

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:29 pm
by aine
Ford dithers in the corridor unable to squeeze past the policeman without causing possible offence. He waits sheepishly behind Alice.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:44 am
by HoneyDog
Unfortunately, the policeman doesn’t seem to want to be bypassed.

He eyes the companions critically.

“You’ll be lucky to get anything out of Atwater, he just keeps muttering about ‘lightning’. The doc thinks he’ll come around eventually.”

He addresses Alice and holds out his hand.

“Yes, we’ve heard of you. I’m Detective Stuckey. Please let me know what you find after you speak to him. I’ll be out front.”

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Detective Stuckey," says Alice, shaking his hand. "I will." When he lets them past, she enters the room.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:09 am
by HoneyDog
Slowly, the companions enter Atwater’s room. He is lying in bed, the covers drawn up to his chest. His eyes are closed and he appears to be asleep, his head lying to the side, away from the investigators.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Mr. Atwater?" asks Alice in a soft, soothing tone. "Are you awake?" She looks to see if his chart is in the room.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:57 am
by Silver Priest
"It's good to see you again Henry," Henry smiles, trying to appear empathic.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:57 am
by HoneyDog
Atwater stirs, without opening his eyes. He rolls his head from side to side and mumbles.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:51 pm
by Philulhu
Bruce knelt by the bed. Henry?” he said gently. ”It’s Professor Patterson from the university. Can you tell me what happened?”

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:55 pm
by HoneyDog
It’s hard to make anything out, but Atwater murmurs the words ‘lightning’ and ‘bright’ several times.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Do you know what happened to Mr. Cardigan?" asks Alice. "Was there anyone else there with the two of you?"

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:04 pm
by aine
Fort tiptoes quietly to the window and looks out, listening to the conversation; he doesn’t want to crowd Atwater.

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:53 am
by SunlessNick
Emily joins Fort at the window, but keeps listening attentively.

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:35 am
by HoneyDog
“Lightning!” “Flash!”

These are the only words Atwater seems to be able to make clear. He stirs restlessly in the bed.
OOC, Everyone can make either an English, History or EDUx3 roll.

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:17 am
by SunlessNick
OOC,Rolled 1D100: 46 - that's under English and History, but just over EDU x3.
Emily has a thought niggling at her mind.

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:39 am
by Silver Priest
Henry's knowledge if history just barely pays off.
History, [url=https://orokos.com/roll/883763]History 35[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]32[/b]

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:16 am
by Starspawn338

Harrison has been listening, trying to understand Henry's mumbling. It means something, he's sure of it.

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:12 pm
by Philulhu
For Bruce, Henry Atwater’s ramblings are perfectly clear...
OOC, Extreme success in English - https://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceVerifier?RID=0029decf-6bb0-4ea2-beeb-9e42768553a2

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:33 pm
by aine
He’s speaking English but what does he mean? Thinks Fort.
Roll, 63: only English (80) succeeds.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:40 am
by HoneyDog
OOC, You can only roll for one skill! Choose which has the highest score.
Listening to Atwater, the investigators notice that he speaks with an archaic burr to his accent.

Soon, he stops moving, and appears to be sleeping.
Henry, Henry doesn't recall Atwater possessing any particular accent, especially like this. Atwater is from Boston, but does not have a dialect.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I suppose that's all he's going to say," says Alice.
OOC, Was there a chart in the room?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:03 am
by HoneyDog
OOC, There doesn't appear to be one.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:05 pm
by Philulhu
OOC, Did Bruce recognise the accent? Another English roll - just a straight success this time (75/95) - https://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceVerifier?RID=9cb2b426-7eb9-43ad-8344-2512a564aa00

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:34 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC, No, sorry.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:02 pm
by aine
“Gosh, he sounds rather like our old gamekeeper; practically medieval he was. From Shropshire.” Says Fort.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:21 pm
by Silver Priest
"He's never possessed any particular accent until now," Henry points out with a frown. "I suspect the trauma has done something to him, and he's in such a state it could be weeks before we learn anything more from him, if we ever do."

"One thought occurs to me; perhaps whatever happened was something other than lightning, though I have no idea at present what this could have been. It's difficult to make any conclusions based off two words, after all. I still think the best course of action is trying to determine if we can find any missing people that match up with the mystery man we found."

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, he does seem to use archaic English," says Alice, "the sort you might see in documents from around the time of the Revolutionary War. Well, I think we've accomplished all we're going to here."

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:34 am
by SunlessNick
"You said he didn't use that accent normally?" Emily asks Henry. "Maybe we should let him alone for now. Concentrate on finding out who the other one is."

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:53 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC, Shall we move on then?

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:17 pm
by Philulhu
OOC, Happy to move on.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:16 pm
by aine
“Yes, let’s move on; this place gives me the willies.” Agrees Fort.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC, I'm ready to move on too.

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:31 am
by HoneyDog
OOC, I'll move things on to the next day. I'll assume that everyone will meet at the hospital to try to see the man they found yesterday.

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:44 am
by SunlessNick
Emily will call in at work again to explain where she is and that she's been "deputised." On a whim, she'll ask Mr Grewe if he knows of anyone else who's gone missing apart from the Atwater and Cardigan. Then she'll meet the others at the hospital.

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 am
by Silver Priest
Henry spends a few hours at the library going over recent newspapers to see if anyone matched the description of the unknown man they had found.
Library Use success, [url=https://orokos.com/roll/884165]34 out of 70[/url]