IC - Day 7 - What Cannot Be Said Will Be Wept

Terror Lurks beneath the waves...

In Dame Marie, sleeping villagers walk in the dead of night - they return without memory, naked and soaking from the sea...when they return at all...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

IC - Day 7 - What Cannot Be Said Will Be Wept

Post by Mephistophilis »

Laurent spends a fitful night in the hospital and is woken at first light by Dr Clermont. This time the doctor takes the wheel of the battered Citroën and they drive back along the rough roads to Dame Marie in near silence. It is still early on the Friday as they arrive at the door of the Lavignes.

The doctor knocks slowly and firmly. Florence answers the door. She looks much older than her years, the lines on her face deeper, eyes hooded and full of pleading hope and expectation as she recognises Laurent and the doctor. Within seconds she has crumpled onto the floor of the doorway, sobbing uncontrollably as she sees that Marise is not with them. The sound brings young Ginette to the door. Laurent is struck by how much she resembles her older sister, the dark almost golden skin, deep hazel eyes...it's almost too much to bear.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: IC - Day 7 - What Cannot Be Said Will Be Wept

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Je suis desole," says Laurent, unable to contain his tears any longer. "We did everything we could."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Ginette looks between her mother, and Laurent and the doctor. 'Manmi?...Marise?' Fabrice and Pierre emerge into the living area bleary eyed, followed by little Rosalie, skipping as she comes. Florence is still on the floor, sobbing into her arms.

All eyes are on the doctor and Laurent. Dr Clermont holds his hands out, palms upwards, 'Je suis vraiment désolé,, Marise, she was so sick. We could not save her.' Rosalie just blinks her eyes as she looks between all the adults, her innocent and inquisitive expression doesn't change, she doesn't seem to understand what is going on. But Fabrice emits a snarl of pain and hurt, burying his head in his son's shoulder as Pierre puts his arms around the older man, looking to Laurent, his eyes imploring him to say he's mistaken, even though the sag of his whole body shows he knows it is true.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sorry, Pierre," says Laurent.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Nothing Laurent can say seems anywhere near adequate and after a few more awkward words the doctor leads him away, leaving the Lavignes with their grief. From behind the closed door, as they walk away, Laurent hears little Rosalie asking, 'Where's Marise? When is she coming home?', and Pierre answering, 'Rosie, Marise has died. She isn't coming home...' followed by the sound of more sobbing.

-----

Dr Clermont walks Laurent back to his shack by the beach. Inside he finds his father still fast asleep, snoring as he does when he's had a skin full of liquor. A strong smell of alcohol suffuses the air. He's surprised the man hasn't already risen to prepare the boat, until he realises it is Good Friday. The man's never been particularly religious but perhaps he intends to go to church today, or more likely join in some of the vodou ceremonies taking place in the town.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Laurent prepares breakfast for the two of them, thinking the smell might awaken his father.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The doctor leaves Laurent to fish breakfast. He lights a fire outside the shack and soon the smell of grilled fish is filling the air. He absent mindedly nibbles on some strips of the meat looking out into the bay beyond Pointe Pierre. There are few boats out fishing today, presumably most people are engaging in the church and vodou celebrations for Easter.

The wind changes slightly and the smoke begins to waft inside the shack. After a few minutes Laurent hears coughing intermixed with a few muffled curses and eventually his father staggers to the door of the hut in a fug of stale liquor. He looks Laurent up and down disapprovingly, 'Ak kote lanfè a ou te? Where the hell have you been?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"At the hospital, Papa," says Laurent. "I drove Marise there, and I stayed with her the whole time, as I promised her. She didn't make it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Marise Lavigne? She was a pretty girl, you always were sweet on her. But what d'you mean you drove her to the hospital? What hospital? What have you been doing?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Beliard Private Hospital, in Cap Matelot," says Laurent. "I drove her and Dr. Clermont there. I spent time with her when they let me, and I helped out the doctors and staff when I could."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'How can the Lavignes afford the private hospital?' he asks, almost rhetorically. Then he just shakes his head and starts to retrieve some fish from the grill, dropping it into his mouth with gusto and licking his burnt fingers. He doesn't say anything more until he's finished eating when he seems in better humour.

'So jèn Marise didn't make it? I'm sorry to hear that pitit gason, sorry to hear that. What was wrong with her, not the dysenterie again?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, it wasn't that," says Laurent. "I don't know if I should say what it was. It could be...embarrassing. Dr. Clermont is friends with Dr. Beliard. He arranged the stay."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Lower Deep (Cthulhu Dark)”