IC - Day 4 - Return to the Scene of the Crime

Terror Lurks beneath the waves...

In Dame Marie, sleeping villagers walk in the dead of night - they return without memory, naked and soaking from the sea...when they return at all...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - Day 4 - Return to the Scene of the Crime

Post by Mephistophilis »

The old doctor shakes his head and his expression is one of genuine concern. 'Oh Marise Lavigne, what a puzzle that girl is.' He ducks back inside and emerges a few minutes later dressed and carrying his medical bag. They take Dr Clermont's battered old Renault car which shakes and judders over the unpaved streets of Dame Marie throwing its unsteady headlight beam across the dark houses.

They have to abandon the car at the top of the Lavigne's street and enter the house. Fabrice has returned and there is a palpable tension between him and Florence, perhaps not unrelated to the strong smell of drink off the man. Marise is curled up on a chair, shivering despite several blankets wrapped around her. 'Why, the child is exhausted,' exclaims the doctor. 'What has happened to you?' he asks Marise, but she can only stare at him with her blank eyes. The doctor turns to Laurent, 'You found her in Anse Douce again? What was she doing there?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Other than trying not to be found, I'm not sure," says Laurent. He tells the doctor everything he saw Marise say and do. "She knows, but she isn't talking. I'm hoping you can get her to open up."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Despite the cajoling of Florence and Dr Clermont, Marise will not say anything. Just shaking her head and pulling the blankets tighter around her as the doctor tries to examine her. He's right though, she looks completely exhausted now. Paler, her face is drawn, thinner even.

'You're not well Marise. I need to run some tests on you at least. The best place for you is hospital,' the doctor says to her gently.

Marise gathers herself enough to hiss weakly, ‘I don't want to go to a hospital, I want to stay here.’

The old doctor looks to Florence for support, his face one of exasperation and concern. 'Mais je ne peux rien faire ici, I cannot do the right tests here. The best place, the only place is the private hospital in Cap Matelot.'

Florence and Fabrice both wince at the mention of the private hospital. Laurent knows they likely cannot afford the fees there.

Seeing their discomfort, Clermont hastily adds, 'Edouard Beliard the director is...an old friend. I'm sure we can work something out.'

Continuing to shake her head, Marise burrows deeper into the chair, pulling the blankets even tighter, revealing the outline of her body underneath, thinner and bonier than Laurent remembers.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Please, Marise," says Laurent. "You need help. You can't do this on your own. I'll be with you the whole time, if you like."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

She doesn't say anymore, just crosses her arms over her chest in an almost protective gesture.

OOC:   I think a roll to see how persuasive Laurent is.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Please," says Laurent again, looking her in the eyes. "I really care about you."

Roll to convince Marise:
1d6
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Marise sits up a little and stares back into Laurent's eyes. For a brief moment, they are that same expressive hazel he remembers, piercing to his soul. He almost flinches away at how close, how intimate that expression feels. A real sadness, but with a flash of affection he thinks...he hopes. But then her eyes are that new deep green again, like the sea. Her look glazed, empty.

‘Okay, if you come too Laurent.’

-----

Dr Clermont seems pleased. He busies himself collecting up blankets and reassuring Florence and Fabrice. Pierre just stands back, confused, giving Laurent and odd look that he doesn't understand.

'She will be better in no time. Just a few tests, that is all. Dr Beliard is the best doctor there is, he will know what to do. Come, come Laurent. You can drive while I sit with Marise, I do struggle to see in this darkness.'

OOC:   If you're happy we can start the drive to Cap Matelot  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Coming," says Laurent, getting behind the wheel and starting the motor.

Yes, I'm happy with that.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper