IC - Day 6 - The Circle of Life

Terror Lurks beneath the waves...

In Dame Marie, sleeping villagers walk in the dead of night - they return without memory, naked and soaking from the sea...when they return at all...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

IC - Day 6 - The Circle of Life

Post by Mephistophilis »

Laurent could do nothing but wait once Marise was wheeled off to the operating theatre. He didn't know what was happening but as the time dragged on from minutes into hours he knew that Dr Beliard must have relented and allowed Dr Clermont to try and deliver the foetus by caesarian section in an attempt to save Marise. He didn't know much about medicine but didn't think it could be a good sign that things were taking so long.

-----

Sitting in the chair in the corner of Marise's room he found himself getting progressively more tired, his eyelids drooping, waking up intermittently to find he'd snoozed fitfully for a few minutes. Then after who knows how long he found himself waking groggily, a trolley being wheeled into the room. And whatever was on the trolley was covered with a sheet, all the way up to the top. Glancing at him only for a second the orderlies back out of the room without saying anything.

Lifting himself from his seat in trepidation, Laurent walked over to the bed. Whatever was under the sheet was small - too small to be a person? He reached for the top of the sheet and pulled it down. Revealing the drawn, ashen-face of Marise Lavigne. Her previously glowing St Joe complexion now an almost colourless grey, every ounce of fat and contour gone, leaving only a sharp, thin face that Laurent hardly recognises. The expression strange, not the emotionless blankness from before, no. A look of satisfaction, of triumph? As though, despite all that had happened to her, Marise had come out on top and she knew it.

Sinking to his knees beside Marise's body, Laurent allows the tears to flow while no one is watching. Silent sobs wrack his chest.

-----

And then Dr Clermont pushes open the door. He's carrying something, it looks to be a large glass jar wrapped in a green surgeon's gown. He places it down on a bedside table. 'I know, I know, mon jeune ami, but we do not have time for that now.' The doctor removes the green cloth covering the jar. Inside it is filled with liquid and Laurent gets the whiff of a pungent odour, chemical, vinegary. 'Formaldehyde,' the doctor says in response to his involuntary expression of disgust.

Inside the jar there is something floating. At first look it seems like a baby, but this impression is soon dispelled. The small body is malformed, a mosaic of aquatic features and human-like appendages. Skin pallid and translucent, a network of thick veins bulging beneath the surface. Webbed hands and sharp claws curled into tiny fists. Glistening gills undulating gently in the fluid, either side of the oversized, misshapen head. The eyes are closed but the dark orbs convey a sense of primal instinct and ancient cunning. Despite being motionless inside the jar, Laurent still senses a palpable aura of malevolence.

As Laurent stands transfixed, Dr Clemont is babbling. 'It is disgusting but fascinating. Many anthropologists are proposing that humans may have lived in the sea at one stage of their development - during the Pliocene drought, keeping cool and finding food. That they went back into the sea after evolving on land, then swam back up the rivers and climbed back into the forests, leaving the ancestors of dolphins and whales behind - it explains certain aspects of the human form, the lack of hair the...but this, well, who's to say that some of the humanoids didn't stay behind? If...well, then that might explain how it could...mate with our own kind despite being so different morphologically...'

The longer the doctor talks about this creature, the more Laurent stares at it. Those bulbous eyes positioned on the sides of the head, no nose to speak of, gaping sharp toothed mouth, frilled gills on the squat neck, compact muscular body, webbed limbs...a hideous mixture of human baby and toad and fish. The longer he looks at it the greater the sense that he knows it. Knows these creatures, that they are familiar to him. And he to them. Prickling down the back his neck, cold sweat across his skin. A shiver running down his spine.

He remembers under the sea, in the cave at Dame Marie, on the road here to Cap Matelot. Those round unblinking eyes, the inhuman intelligence - the look of the predator as it sees its prey.

OOC:   Insight roll please  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC - Day 6 - The Circle of Life

Post by Mr. Handy »

Had he not seen so much recently, Laurent probably would have broken down now. "I've seen big creatures like that before," he says. "I almost ran into one of them on the way here, when we stopped, but that wasn't the first time. That was at the cave in Anse Douce. And I also had a vision of them under the sea."

Insight roll (current level 5) for seeing the baby:
1d6
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The doctor looks at him strangely, 'Oui, the crocodile you saw looked like this?' He throws the gown back over the jar. 'And you are not the only one talking about strange fishmen under the sea, Monsieur Henninger was telling me something similar, but I did not listen.' He starts pacing, 'And the dreams, and the wandering, and the swimming, Henninger, Benson, whatever is going on at the Azagon. But what does it mean?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I spoke to Auxian Ramses about it before," says Laurent. "I know you may find it hard to believe the things he says, but I think your mind is more open to it now." He tells him about their discussions and his strange encounters. "Unfortunately, he seems to have disappeared. I haven't been able to find him, and I fear something may have happened to him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Clermont looks pale. 'I don't claim to know much about Vodou, but I have seen some things...If this Auxian Ramses is right then the loa are restless - Agoué is unhappy in his kingdom whatever that is supposed to mean. But the question remains, what does this have to do with this...?'' He taps the jar, which makes an unsettling swishing sound as the liquid within moves about. 'What does it have to do with whatever happened to poor Marise?' The old doctor's face sinks at his own mention of the girl's name. His shoulders sag and he half collapses into a chair. He looks every bit his age, the usual vitality that animates him draining away. 'I lost my Dame Marie once, I don't think I could face losing it again.'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Those creatures were under the sea in my vision," says Laurent. "I think the vision was meant to instruct me as to how to satisfy Agoué, but I'm not sure how. I don't want to lose Dame Marie either. I've never known anywhere else. We'll have to work together to prevent that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The old doctor leans back in his chair and takes a deep breath. 'I do not know what to do either. But if the vision was supposed to help you, perhaps talking to others who have experienced these dreams and visions would uncover something more?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's a good idea," says Laurent. "There's Monsieur Henninger at the Azagon, and Benson, that I could ask. Do you know of any others?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'They do not talk to me much at the Azagon - they probably think I am just some silly provincial doctor - but I trained in Paris you know...' Shaking his head he continues, 'But from what Monsieur Henninger tells me they may have similar problems there.'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've spoken to him earlier, when I was there," says Laurent, filling him in on what happened. "What about that?" He points at the abomination in the jar. "We might be able to learn something from it, but I have an urge to destroy it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Clermont removes the sheet and looks into the murky fluid where the grotesque creature floats. 'I am not sure. There is much we could learn from it...from, studying it. But...' He turns away, 'It disgusts me, it...unsettles me. I do not want to have it around, and I know Edouard wants nothing to do with it...'

OOC:   Destroying it could reduce your Insight score  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I want to destroy it," says Laurent. "Does the hospital have an incinerator?"

Exactly what I was thinking.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign: