The Case of the Southern Star.

Moderator: Ash

Ash
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

The Hotel Part 1 Prologue

Post by Ash »

It's early February 1921 England. You have taken some time to reach your destination this evening. The East Coast of Devon, a small seaside town by the name of Sidmouth. A town famous for cures for melancholia due to it's revitalizing ozone and sea air.
You have agreed to meet your party at The Hotel Continental. Matching with it's name it emulates an architectural charm which would suit the sunnier climates of Beiritz, San Tropez or somewhere equally exotic on the Continent. As you pull up in your car the concierge takes your keys and parks your car down a narrow alley to the right of the hotel. He then returns your keys and takes your coat and baggage while you wait in the circular lobby. Your travelling things are ushered to your room and you check in with reception. The circular entrance is decorated salmon pink and there is a huge glass chandelier above you. In front of you is the main hotel staircase, directly to the left of the stairs is the reception and door to the kitchens. To your immediate right is the dining room, again in salmon pink, to you left a barroom and lounge decorated with mahogany and oak in the modern Art Deco style.

The hotel clock chimes once. It's 8:30 in the evening.

The hotel sounds very quiet and empty. You have agreed to meet your party for the first time here this evening to begin your investigation into the mystery of The Southern Star. They are all present now. You greet each other.

(Please post your introductions to this thread).
Mark Concannon
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 3 years 2 months

Re: The Hotel Part 1 Prologue

Post by Mark Concannon »

Hi Ash, ok, I'm in. Here's what I'd like - as means of introduction - for my character to do:

Maria, a striking (if short) woman in her early twenties struts to the reception desk, and in one swift motion smacks her peeled-off gloves onto the reception bell, with a resounding ding!
She is mildly fuming, or 'put out', as they used to call it.
She announces (before any one can respond to the bell) "The dining-room had better still be open, I've had a long drive. I want underdone chops and plenty of them. I'm going to build up my nervous system before anything else, and then I'm going to bed."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

A woman of a little over twenty walks in - she turns in a circle, taking in the sight of the lobby and pronounces, "What a divine building!" Once divested of her coat, she proves to be wearing a glittery gold dress, probably chosen in anticipation of the dining room still being open.

The Honourable Miss Annabel Deerbourne, the youngest daughter of the Earl of Heathbrook, known for a wide (some say fecklessly so) range of interests who flits from party scene to academic salon and back.
Last edited by SunlessNick on Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Juridicalidiot
Layman
Layman

Post by Juridicalidiot »

A rather nondescript middle-aged man of middling-height and rather scowling features in a bow tie, bicycle suit and fedora enters the premises. He is Clifford Levi-Mead, an old Oxfordian professor of Polynesian anthropology. Rather scruffy, he has fallen into relatively straightened circumstances having been removed as chair of his College after one too many 'amorous interludes' with postgraduates, the result of his clear hypomaniac tendencies. On the surface this disorder manifests itself in his roving eyes, and pacing and fidgeting. In this instance he is immediately both hostile towards the hotel staff while making the usual inappropriate comments to the members of the fairer sex present, without, however, any ulterior motive behind them. Fortunately for Levi-Mead, his College has granted him a long sabbatical, hoping that he will return to Tahiti or Borneo. Even more fortunately for him, his ability to craft wooden Polynesian fertility totem poles and pass them off as originals, guarantees him a decent income for these in-vogue pieces on the London and Paris markets. He also makes a living ghost writing the sexual exploits of other anthropologists and the occasional episode of related blackmail.
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

All three of you are lead to the salmon pink dining room to the right of the hotel entrance. You are given menus and asked for drink orders. The receptionist seems to be the only member of staff on shift at this time of night and as far as you can tell you are the only guests. They lead you to your table in the centre. You are all booked in to together at the same table. The table has been set for 4 people even though there are currently only three of you present. None of you have ever met before.
The table has been reserved as The Southern Star company.

Thank you your food shall be with you shortly.

You greet one another, roll spot hidden.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Stats,The youngest daughter of the Earl of Heathbrook. During the war, her father and brothers went off to fight, her mother and oldest sister ran the estate, while the middle sister joined the nuring corps - while Annabel was left to her own devices - fortune favoured her family, with all four of her relatives returning unharmed from the front. Despite this restoration of normality, her eclectic (some would say feckless)range of interests has persisted into the present as she alternates between party and academic salon, stubbornly resisting any any attempt to marry her off. She's a fun- and thrill-seeker who thinks life is meant to be experienced in all its glory - though her idea of fun also includes learning new things - she frequents the Courtland Ladies' Club in London, which holds a lot of interesting presentations (and great parties). She secretly admires her middle sister Jean (the one who went to the War)more than anyone else. Her most treasured possession is her Albert Saloon car. Occupation: Dilettante. Characteristics: STR 8, CON 10, SIZ 8, DEX 11, APP 16, INT 15, POW 11, EDU 15. Idea Roll 75, Luck Roll 55, Know Roll 75. Age 25. Damage Bonus -1D4. Hit Points 9. Magic Points 11. SAN 55. Accounting (10) Anthropology (01) Archaeology (01) 36%. Art (Piano) (05) 55%. Astronomy (01) Bargain (05) Biology (01) 51%. Conceal (15) Chemistry (01) Craft (Horticulture) (05) 40%. Credit Rating (15) 60%. Cthulhu Mythos (00) Disguise (01) Dodge (DEX x2) 42% Drive (Auto) (20) Fast Talk (05) 35%. First Aid (30) 40%. Geology (01) Hide (10) History (20) Jump (25) Law (05) Library Use (25) 55%. Listen (25) Locksmith (01) 21% Mech. Repair (20) 40%. Medicine (05) Natural History (10) Navigate (10) Occult (05) Own L. (English) (75) Oth.L. (Italian) (01) 42%. Persuade (15) Pharmacy (01) Physics (01) Photography (10) Psychoanalysis (01) Psychology (05) 15%. Ride (05) 25%. Sneak (10) Spot Hidden (25) 35%. Swim (10) Track (10) Firearms Handgun (20) Rifle (25) Shotgun (30) 55%.
"I hope everyone is having a wonderful evening," Annabel says, taking in everyone present with her gaze as she does. including the receptionist. "You can call me Annabel," she adds, most particularly directed at Maria.
OOC,Spot Hidden: 30% Rolled 1D100: 06!
Mark Concannon
Layman
Layman

Post by Mark Concannon »

Spot-hidden: On my honour,guv, I rolled a 23, beating my basic by 2!
I turn to Lady Annabel: "And you may call me Maria, Maria Jones - and before you ask, yes, I have starred alongside Douglas Fairbanks. Well, I was behind him when he fell off the palm tree, but I must say I found him to be rather......tame, whatever his reputation may imply. Lupe Velez is a bit of a scream, if rather prone to histrionics," she inhales deeply. "I shan't miss Hollywood. I found myself rather missing Condicote, and Tatchester, of course."

Briskly, she gives a sideways glance over at Clifford Levi-Mead: "Can't think what's brought me to Sidmouth, except the sea air."

Maria picks up her knife and fork, and has already tucked her napkin in, under her chin, expectantly.
"I do hope we shall see some ghosts." She says rather too loudly, "I've yet to pistol-duel with that sort." She nods to herself "Maybe after pudding."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity Hayward breezes into the restaurant. Tall, slim, and pretty with short, dark hair, she wears a very expensive black sequined dress. "Sorry I'm late," she says, sliding into the empty seat. "It took me forever to find something to wear. What did I miss?"
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) in the hotel dining room: 0
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mark Concannon wrote:Briskly, she gives a sideways glance over at Clifford Levi-Mead: "Can't think what's brought me to Sidmouth, except the sea air."
Annabel leans nearer and whispers,
Maria,"[color=#008000]Not him, then I presume? Me neither.[/color]"
Mark Concannon wrote:Maria picks up her knife and fork, and has already tucked her napkin in, under her chin, expectantly.
"I do hope we shall see some ghosts." She says rather too loudly, "I've yet to pistol-duel with that sort." She nods to herself "Maybe after pudding."
"Ghosts would certainly add a thrill to things."

Mr. Handy wrote:Felicity Hayward breezes into the restaurant. Tall, slim, and pretty with short, dark hair, she wears a very expensive black sequined dress. "Sorry I'm late," she says, sliding into the empty seat. "It took me forever to find something to wear. What did I miss?"
"The Honourable Miss Annabel Deerbourne, but you can call me Annabel. This is Maria, who you should ask about Douglas Fairbanks. We were just discussing the merits of seeing some ghosts. And this is Clifford, or Professor Levy-Mead, I'm not sure yet."
Last edited by SunlessNick on Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm Felicity Hayward of the London Haywards," says Felicity, certain that her reputation has preceded her - for better or for worse. "I'm very pleased to meet you all. I can't say I've ever met a ghost before - or Douglas Fairbanks, for that matter. I'd be keen to hear the latest gossip about him, Maria. I know some gossip of my own. Now, I don't repeat gossip, so you'll have to listen closely the first time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

For those of you who have passed your spot hidden.
Spoiler:
You are not sure if you are just tired but the receptionist who led you in to the dining room seems to be a gelatinous cube floating just 6 inchs from the ground.
The same receptionist is now serving your food which you don't remember ordering. Each dome is covered with a silver domed serving platter, you smell the delicious aroma of Roast Beef and vegetables.

"Please relax and enjoy your meal gracious members of The Southern Star."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Re Spot Hidden,Annabel is going to assume she's tired, and maybe hungry.
She's eager to hear Felicity's gossip. And lifts the lid off of her plate.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity blinks. "Did someone order for me?" she asks. "I've only just arrived."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:Felicity blinks. "Did someone order for me?" she asks. "I've only just arrived."
"Part of our reservation maybe?" Annabel wonders, looking down at the what's on her plate. "Anyway, I'm hungry enough to be seeing things."
Mark Concannon
Layman
Layman

Post by Mark Concannon »

Maria bugs her eyes at the plate of Roast Beef and vegetables.
She breathes out an exasperated sigh:
"Silly me! There I was, mentioning the prospect of seeing a ghost and Lo and behold! We have before us the spectral apparition of the ghost of dinners from 1919! I believe I made my order for under-done chops, quite clear, didn't I Professor?"
As Maria makes a show of smacking her napkin on the table with her right hand, with her left she surreptitiously slides her purse onto the end of her own lap with her left, where (I hope) the table-cloth obscures her movement. Maria's left-hand is trying to open her clasp purse to reach for her .38 pistol. (Ash: If you want I could do a roll for this, would it be a DEXTERITY test?)
With her right hand she clicks her fingers, and calls out:
"Waitress, come here. There's been a horrifying mistake..."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Annabel pushes he chair back slightly to make it easier to move - Maria's reaction is giving her a sense of danger.
Juridicalidiot
Layman
Layman

Post by Juridicalidiot »

Meanwhile, the Prof - never one to pass up food given the slop from the high table he's used to, shrugs his shoulders, uncovers his meal and starts pushing various elements of the dish around his plate in an attempt to find something unequivocally edible. 'Ladies, I'm sure there will be time for phantomic disturbances, but could we please focus on food for now. It is so very important to get the necessarily bodily sustenance in order to pursue intelligent conversation.'
{spot roll},{failed spot}
Mark Concannon
Layman
Layman

Post by Mark Concannon »

Maria replies (whilst still clicking her fingers for the waitress to come) "I agree, Professor. But surely it's prudent to ensure that we eat the right foods? Namely, my under-done chops....which I expressly ordered..."

She bugs her eyes at the Professor, and at Lady Annabelle, trying to indicate with jerks of her head that she means something about the waitress:

"..Otherwise, if we eat the wrong food, we might all degenerate into disgusting blobs!"
Mark Concannon
Layman
Layman

Post by Mark Concannon »

Maria looks at Felicity:
"I say, Felicity. From where you are can you see if that infernal waitress is coming? I can't see behind me."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I know exactly what you mean," says Felicity with a wink. "I believe she's still here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Devon Cthulhu 1920”