Page 1 of 1

Part 1A - The Cad - Sara

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:12 am
by SunlessNick
Melbourne in the spring of 1928 is a prosperous city, although the gap between the haves and have-nots is wide. About a million souls live there now, ranging from bohemians and flappers, to staid professionals and officials, to impoverished factory and dock workers, to academics at the University of Melbourne or the National Museum, to the inevitable criminal and underclasses - yet only a handful of Australia's Aboriginal population live there, most having been forced off to reservations or missions in the country.

It's been six months since the death of underworld crimelord Leslie Taylor, known as "Squizzy" - a big event to everyone with an interest in crime and investigation. The underworld is now run by Harry Stokes, although there are still ambitious new gangsters looking to make names for themselves.

PI's deal usually deal with smaller stakes than that, though. Sara's employer, Oscar Moreton, spends most of his time digging up dirt on one private citizen for the sake of another - he's managed to parlay this into a lot of upper class clients and connections. As a boss, he's middling to work for - he's a sexist toad, but at least he doesn't get grabby.

You can tell he's just been a sexist toad right now, as his latest appointment, a young woman by the name of Carol Osborne, emerges from his office, sobbing.

Re: Part 1A - The Cad - Sara

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Sara London gets up and goes over to Carol Osborne to comfort her. "What's wrong, Miss?" she asks. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:56 am
by SunlessNick
"I came about my friend Elsa," she says. "She's walking into trouble - that man's bad news, I just know it. But your boss doesn't think it's worth his time. No, worse than that, he said 'If she gets her heart broken, it would the kind of lesson valuable to any young woman,'" she quotes bitterly.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I think it's worth my time," says Sara. "I've learned a lot about investigations in my job, and I have enough skills to be a private investigator. If you give me the details, I can look into it."

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:30 am
by SunlessNick
"Oh, thankyou," she gushes. "Her name is Elsa Hauser, she's been my friend since we were little girls. The man she's taken up with is called Austin Kittrell. He's very rich, and... you know that kind of charming that you can tell isn't right? I know he's toying with her, he's had a string of girls in the past, but he's got her under his thumb, thinking it'll be different with her."

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome," says Sara. "I know the sort. Someone like him would be in Who's Who, which will make it easier to get some basic information on him, and I can check the periodicals to see when he's made the news. I can also try following him around and see where he goes and what he does, and once I find out about people he's connected to, they can also be sources of information. Is there anything else you can think of that might be helpful?"

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:16 am
by SunlessNick
"I know where he's going to be tonight. He's taking Elsa to a club called the Royal Hunt. Usually it's a 'Gentleman's'" - you can hear the scarequotes in her voice around Gentleman's - "club, but every month they throw a ball for all the rich folks in Melbourne."

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that will help," says Sara. "I'm not exactly rich, but maybe I can dress up as one of the staff. Do they have women on staff?"

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:41 am
by SunlessNick
"I think so," she says. "Thankyou so much for helping. I can pay you what I was going to pay him."

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're quite welcome," says Sara. "It'll just be the standard rate, plus expenses. I'll be sure to itemise them all. I'll need to buy a waitress outfit for the Royal Hunt, for starters. Since he didn't want the case and I'll be doing it on my own time, I'll just have the entire fee for myself."

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:21 am
by SunlessNick
The rest of the day goes without incident. Another client - a well-to-do man, obviously far more worth Oscar's time, in Oscar's estimation - comes for a report on his case (he is worried his wife is cheating on him, which she apparently is not).

You have a short window after work to buy an outfit you think will suit a waitress at such a party.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Sara looks for a shop near the Royal Hunt, reasoning that not only would it allow her to get to the club faster, but also that that is where employees of the club would be most likely to get their own work clothing.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:18 am
by SunlessNick
You can find a shop still open. A suitable outfit doesn't break the bank, but it costs enough to make you wish you'll have another use for it after tonight.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Sara keeps the outfit on after trying it on and buying it, keeping her old clothes in a shopping bag to change back into later. It occurs to her that she might find a use for it again later. If she's successful with this case, she could go into business for herself full time as a private investigator, and such a disguise could be useful in future cases. In any case, she knows she'll be reimbursed for the expense. She heads over to the Royal Hunt, looking for the staff entrance.
OOC,I presume [b]Carol[/b] gave me a description of [b]Elsa Hauser[/b] and [b]Austin Kittrell[/b], but I don't see it in the above posts.

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:37 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,I presume [b]Carol[/b] gave me a description of [b]Elsa Hauser[/b] and [b]Austin Kittrell[/b], but I don't see it in the above posts.
OOC,Yes. Elsa is 22, blonde with green eyes, with a full figure and a loud laugh - she's planning to wear a green flapper dress. Austin is in his late twenties, thin, brown hair and eyes, and with a "smile like a wolf."
The Royal Hunt has four entrances, whose locations make them easy to sort into members, staff, trade, and back door. There are men at all four, but the one at the staff entrance is clearly bored...
OOC,Sara's Luck: 45 Rolled 1D100: 30
... and waves you in having barely looked at you.

The door leads into a cloakroom, which in turn leads into the kitchen area. The party is close to starting, and the serving staff are all gathered there getting instruction from a man, mostly about which rooms they'll be taking trays to. He's giving several of them directions, which at least means there are extra staff here, not just those familiar with the place.

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Sara leaves her bag with her normal clothes behind in the cloakroom and hurries to join the serving staff to get her instructions, glad that there are extra staff. She should be able to blend in among them.

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:06 am
by SunlessNick
The steward or whatever he is doesn't seem to register your arrival, and keeps giving orders until he gets round to you. He doesn't bother asking your name and tells you and another girl to take trays of drinks and hors d'oeuvres to the "blue gallery" - he tells you this is up the stairs, turn left and go through two doors straight in front of you. He doesn't wait for you to acknowledge the instruction and moves on to the next person.

Your colleague waits till you're out of the kitchen and heading for the stairs before introducing herself as Maria.

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi, I'm Sara," says Sara, following Maria to the stairs. "I've never worked here before. I'm just here for this event. How about you?"

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:06 am
by SunlessNick
"I've worked a couple of these events, but that's all. That bloody Jenkins never remembers me who I am though. Sorry, that's the fella who was telling us what to do. He does work here, and fancies himself a proper English butler, as if the rich dags in this place think any more of him than us."

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Know anything about the rich dags?" asks Sara. "Any in particular I should avoid? It wouldn't surprise me if some of them had roaming hands."

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:55 am
by SunlessNick
"Don't you know it! Watch out for Wellman - he's a banker or something - he'll try to buy you if you let him. And Wally Hutchinson - owns a big chunk of Melbourne, and everyone in it, so he thinks. There's a fella called Vance Whitney - if he tells you to call Mr Whitney, it'll be ok, if he says to call him Vance, keep your hand on a fork. He hangs around with a younger guy Austin - think they work together. Another young one called Royster - you'll know him by a really thin moustache - he thinks he's god's gift. Keith Murdoch's one to watch out for, and the police commissioner's here too, not that he'll stop anyone."

[Keith Murdoch is a newspaper proprietor - your boss will have talked to reporters working for him from time to time. The police commissioner is called Harold Shaw - it's someone you've kept track of at the office, but you've never met him - not corrupt, exactly, but not one to root corruption out either]

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Sara. "Do you know anything about this Austin bloke? Do I need to watch out for him too?"
OOC, I suspected [b]Keith Murdoch[/b] was related to Rupert and looked him up to confirm that I was right - he's his dad.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:13 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:20 am
OOC, I suspected [b]Keith Murdoch[/b] was related to Rupert and looked him up to confirm that I was right - he's his dad.
OOC,Yep, he's mentioned in the Terror Australis book.
"Thank you," says Sara. "Do you know anything about this Austin bloke? Do I need to watch out for him too?"
"He's a charmer. He has a different girl on his arm every time, but that won't stop him making a move on you when she's not looking."

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not surprised," says Sara. "I'll have to be on my guard."

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:16 am
by SunlessNick
The guests start arriving. The first to show up of the guys you were warned about is Vance Whitney - however he introduces himself as Mr Whitney, which Maria said meant he would be ok. Such seems to be the case - after getting a drink, he seems to be all business with Melbourne's movers and shakers.

Kittrell and Elsa arrive soon after. While you're stuck in one room, they move like they're drifting from one to another.
OOC, Psychology: 60. Rolled 1D100: 44.
Elsa seems dazzled by the club's rich surroundings, but you notice that Kittrell isn't introducing her to anyone - from what Carol said, you might expect him to show Elsa off like a trophy, but he doesn't appear to be.

After a few minutes, he leaves her and comes over to you to get some drinks. As he approaches, Carol's description of a wolf's smile looks apt. When he reaches you, he says, "I don't think I've seen you here before. Do you work these places often?"

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, sir," says Sara. "This is my first time. What can I get you?"

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:12 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:04 am "No, sir," says Sara. "This is my first time. What can I get you?"
"Two champagnes, unless I can tempt you to a third. It is the first of many visits, I hope."

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, but I couldn't possibly," says Sara, pouring two glasses of champagne. "They wouldn't like it if I drink on the job. What can you tell a new girl about what goes on here?"

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:28 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:55 am "Thank you, but I couldn't possibly," says Sara, pouring two glasses of champagne. "They wouldn't like it if I drink on the job. What can you tell a new girl about what goes on here?"
"Then I shall have to bring you back one night when you are not working. As for what we do here... well, mostly we talk business. Make deals. Exchange news from around the Country and elsewhere. Decide who should be elected, and to what position," he laughs. "When we're not doing that, we talk of shard interests, gamble, show off new treasures we've found. Like anyone else, really - we're not so mysterious as all that. Come with me as my guest, and you can see for yourself, even the rooms closed off for the party."
OOC,You know the Royal Hunt doesn't allow female members, nor guests outside functions like this one. You don't need a psychology roll to realise the offer he's making likely means something very different to what he's expecting you to think.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Wouldn't your lady friend get jealous?" asks Sara.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:43 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:23 am"Wouldn't your lady friend get jealous?" asks Sara.
"Perhaps she would," he says, in a dismissive tone.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Don't you care?" asks Sara.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:31 am
by SunlessNick
"Jealousy is for those who do not know how to live for themselves," Kittrell replies.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe she wouldn't see any reason to be jealous of me," says Sara. "She's prettier than I am."

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:11 am
by SunlessNick
"Just as you say," KIttrell replies, his voice turning crueler.

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, you didn't have to agree with me so quickly," says Sara.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:03 am
by SunlessNick
"Perhaps it's the uniform," he says. "Seeing you in something else might easily change my mind."
OOC,Charm 60: Rolled 1D100: 56.
You manage not to look queasy. For someone said to have a different girl on his arm every time he comes here, he's not very good at this.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm afraid I can't afford the same sorts of wardrobes that the ladies who come here wear," says Sara. "If I could, I wouldn't be working at this job."

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:03 am
by SunlessNick
"She couldn't afford her dress either. I can be generous when a girl catches my attention."

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah," says Sara. "And what does a girl have to do to catch your attention?"

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:56 am
by SunlessNick
"Well... a certain force behind her eyes... the sign of a keen mind... a spark in her soul that says she is meant for more than menial work, were the staid rules of society not holding her back."

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"You sound like you're describing me," says Sara.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 pm
by SunlessNick
"Perhaps I am at that," he says. "So, what do you say? Are you ready to break some horizons?"
OOC,Psychology 60. Rolled 36.
Apart from his obvious sleaze, you also have the impression he's been gauging you, and has come to a decision of some sort.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"What do I need to do?" asks Sara.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 pm
by SunlessNick
He hands you a card. "Just come to my house tomorrow evening. You shall be my guest at a club even more exclusive than this."

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"What time?" asks Sara, reading the card.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:31 pm
by SunlessNick
"Seven O'Clock?" he suggests. "That will give each of us a chance to eat after our days' business. It was a delight to meet you."

He takes the two champagnes and returns to Elsa, never once having asked your name.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

Sara puts the card away after she finishes reading it and continues working. Her plan is to contact Carol Osborne and let her know what happened, then have her arrange for Elsa Hauser to be outside Austin Kittrell's house before 7:00 tomorrow evening so that she can see him let Sara into his house.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:02 pm
by SunlessNick
The rest of the evening passes without too much more incident, though your feet ache like hell once the function is over.

The following morning you're able to reach Carol, and she agrees to your plan, vowing to knock Elsa out and carry her there if need be.

Then it's a regular day at the office. Oscar is finishing up a couple of cases - not all that different from yours, just with clients he thinks are worth working for - and has you file reports for them. He doesn't have anything he needs you to run down for him, which leaves you plenty of time to plan how you want to handle things once you're inside Kittrell's house.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Once Elsa sees me go inside, that should be enough to convince her," says Sara to Carol. "All I need to do then is get out of there. I may need your help. Elsa may be angry enough to pound on Austin's door, especially if you prompt her to, but I can't count on that. I can try making an excuse and feign a headache, but I'll also bring a whistle and a pocket knife in case he doesn't take no for an answer, and I can scream my head off too. I may also need you to convince Elsa of what I'm doing, in case she gets jealous. I can bring my camera too, in my purse. I may need to photograph evidence if something happens."

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:16 pm
by SunlessNick
Carol rubs a hand over her mouth. "I was so caught up in thinking about Elsa, I had considered what an awful risk you'd be taking. I'll make sure my brother comes with us too."

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:05 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Sara. "That's definitely a good idea."

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:01 pm
by SunlessNick
The clock rolls inexorably around toward seven. The house is in McKinnon in the south east of the city. It's large and detached, with an extensive but well kept garden. The walls are faced in a mid-brown plaster.

Carol and Elsa will presumably secrete themselves somewhere opposite Kittrell's house, along with Carol's brother.

All that remains is to ring the doorbell.

Feet sound in the hallway.

Kittrell opens the door - he's wearing a sharp suit, American in cut. "Ah, excellent. I was in two minds whether you would come. Do come in."

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

Sara took a thorough but surreptitious look around on her way to the front door to make sure that the others were in place. Provided they are, Sara steps inside and says "Thank you. I was expecting a servant might open the door."

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:21 pm
by SunlessNick
OOC,Does that roll mean you rolled a 1 or an 8? I can't really tell. Either way it's success enough to tell that the others are in place.
"There are no masters or servants tonight," Kittrell says, leading you through into a lounge and indicates a tray of drinks. "What can I get you?"

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I won't be having anything," says Sara, putting a hand to her forehead. "I'm afraid I have the most dreadful headache. I wouldn't have come at all tonight, but I felt I should at least let you know and arrange for a rain check when I'm feeling better."
OOC, I rolled an 8. The 1 is there to indicate success. When you roll on Orokos, you can use 1d100u## to let it know the target number you need to get equal to or lower than in order to succeed. A failure, over the number, would give a result of 0.

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:46 am
by SunlessNick
"What a terrible shame. I am grateful that you would take the time to tell me in person. Perhaps a glass of water before you go?"
OOC,Unexplained 1D100 roll: 27.
Water sounds pretty good.

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"No thank you," says Sara, resisting her thirst out of concern that Austin may have slipped a Mickey Finn into his drinks. "I really should be going. Another time."

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:18 am
by SunlessNick
"Then take a seat while I call you a cab, I insist."

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, I told the cabbie to wait," says Sara. "I knew I wouldn't be staying long. In fact, he's going to be wondering what's keeping me if I don't come out soon, and the meter's running."

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:11 pm
by SunlessNick
He pauses, then says, "Well, then at least allow me to pay you for it."

He goes to the mantlepiece and fishes something out of a wallet.

"This should cover it." His fingers brush against yours as he hands over what proves to be a pound note, more than enough to a cover a cab fare to anywhere in the city.
"I hope we may meet another night," he says, meeting your eyes.
OOC,Unexplained 1D100 roll: 39. Second 1D100 roll: 98.
The thought seems more tempting than you would have expected when you arrived.

He backs away, allowing you room to head for the door.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you again," says Sara. "Good evening." She heads for the door to let herself outside.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:57 am
by SunlessNick
He closes the door quickly behind you, leaving you alone in the night air. If only for a moment - once you reach the garden gate, you almost bump into Carol's brother coming in. He doesn't quite put an arm round you, but hustles you out quickly, obviously relieved to see you got out safe and sound.

Carol and Elsa are a short way down the street, arguing - they've been accosted by another pair of guys, one of whom looks like an Aboriginal.

At the sight of Elsa, that odd temptation to take Kittrell up on his last offer fades, leaving you wondering what you were thinking - but had been there, despite your mission and everything you've seen about him - it feels strange in your memory, like your mind's been scratched.

And here we go on to part 2...