IC-Ep 3-Revival(Archie/Phyllis/Benjamin/Anna)

While Story, his companions, and their friends learn more about the threat they face and how to stop it, they also track down those responsible for unleashing it - with dangerous results.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 3-Revival(Archie/Phyllis/Benjamin/Anna)

Post by Mr. Handy »

St. James's Church- London, England
8:30 PM - Monday, September 9, 1940

"I am sorry, my dear," Giles said to Phyllis. "I knew these were your friends, and I didn't want to wake you unnecessarily. You looked so peaceful sleeping there. I cannot lock the door. This is a public shelter, open to everyone who wants to be protected from the bombs."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: IC-Ep 3-Revival(Archie/Phyllis/Benjamin/Anna)

Post by Snapper »

Archie quickly bounds up the stairs to Giles' office to put through a short call to the sanitorium, just to report he and his companions had arrived safely at the St James' Church and had indeed located Phyllis.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Phyllis pats her hair back into shape, somewhat mollified.
"Well no one has come to any harm when all's said and done. I'm glad to see you all here anyhow." She looks around the small group.
"But where are all the others- and Mrs Duncan? I hope they aren't getting into any mischief?"
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Relieved by the familiar sound of Phyllis's fussing Anna explains "The others stayed back at the sanatorium. But the three of us wanted to check that you were all right. What did you find out about the Steadmans' movements? The ARP warden said something about the East End."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What are you going to do now?" Eugene asked Archie on the other end of the line. "Stay put or go looking for the Steadmans?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Well, that's the question isn't it," Archie answers Eugene. "I haven't really had a chance to talk with Phyllis yet. I'd like to hear what else she's discovered but if we have any chance to stop these people even for just this night, I feel duty bound to try."

"So, I'lll go and see what we know and if there's a good enough reason to risk our necks out in the air raid. Cheerio then."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Phyllis waits until Archie is back downstairs,
"Well, that young girl, Brook, and I followed the Steadmans back to their house. About an hour or so later they came back out; dressed to the nines they were and going to the theatre so they said when I asked them.

I pretended I was just passing. And then I followed back onto the tube and we came out at Liverpool st. It was dark by now but I managed to follow them to a bombed area and a ruined house. It had a basement stairs and who was hiding out there? Lo and behold; Catherine Exeter!

I could hear them discussing Dr Jerkins but they knew about everyone at the sanitarium so they decided not to risk trying to catch her. And Elizabeth Young too, who they seemed to know as a child; but they didn't know where she was. But..."

Phyllis lowers her voice,
"They need somebody tonight for some dark purpose and as they couldn't get at the women they decided to look for any one else who was handy. I was rather frightened I can tell you. Luckily they started walking off to look for someone and I went the other way. And eventually got here."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Anna looks troubled: "Phyllis, this sounds very serious, we know Catherine Exeter and the Steadmans have already killed and they're going to kill again. I understand that many of you have had some...unusual experiences from dealing with them but surely the time has come to go to the authorities, I do not see that we can prevent another murder ourselves."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Archie considers this but shakes his head. "Anna, are you going to ring the local police station and say people are conducting human sacrifices? With no evidence to support your claim? Or will you call Mr Churchill? I admire your desire to help but I don't think that plan will work."

"You are right that this sounds serious and we should try to stop them but I think we will have to take matters into our own hands. Some poor innocent's life could be at stake."

He turns to Phyllis. "Could you lead us back to this bombed out house they are hiding in?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,In order to find the house again, you will need to roll Navigate. While only [b]Phyllis[/b] has been there before, I'll allow anyone who accompanies her to also roll Navigate, as she can guide you as you try to retrace her steps.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Phyllis looks miserable,
"I really don't know. You see it was so dark in the blackout; there were no lights and they've taken down all the street signs. I was in rather a tiz and I'm afraid I just fumbled my way away from the Steadmans until I almost fell in the river.
Then a rather bossy Warden found me and brought me here. She wouldn't even let me telephone you." She finishes indignantly. And then she brightens,

"But I did make a big arrow on a slab next to the ruined house, pointing in the direction that they went. If we could find that it would help, wouldn't it? I wasn't too far from the Liverpool st entrance. And it was in bombed section of buildings."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Anna looks incredulously at Phyllis and Archie: "So you're suggesting the four of us just call on them for a nice chat in the blackout? And I'm the one being unrealistic!"

"One of them is a dangerous escaped psychiatric patient who we have seen in the company of her family. They've attacked Eugene and he's heard them talk about harming those of us investigating her escape from the hospital, including the late Lord Colville. I think we've got enough information to at least try and get the police involved, perhaps disrupt their activities for the moment."

She looks sharply at Archie and adds
"We don't need to talk about human sacrifices and flying monsters"
, unsure she believes any of that supernatural talk herself.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Archie thinks for a few seconds. "Whether we confront these people directly or call the police, I think we need to locate them first. Once we know where they are, if you, Anna, want to call the local police station or Scotland Yard, that is up to you."

"Phyllis, I was a junior naval officer in the Last Show and I've spent a fair amount of the intervening time on archeological digs. I'm a reasonable if not particularly gifted navigator by training and experience. I believe you and I working together could retrace your steps, if you're willing to give it a crack. I'm hopeful Benjamin will join us too."

"We must remember these people are talking about taking another human life."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Phyllis digs around in her large handbag for a hankie and then dabs her nose.
"Naval officer or not, the Steadmans went off to look for a hapless n'er-do-well but only because they can't capture Anna or Elizabeth tonight. I'm sure one of us would do just as well so I'd rather not go chasing in their footsteps thank you very much; I've already almost been their quarry tonight and once was more than enough.

"However, I'm concerned at how long my lipstick arrow might last so we should try to find it as soon as there is enough light not to trip over things."
Phyllis rubs at her shin which has a torn worsted stocking as she remembers the earlier evening.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Archie looks disappointed for a second then nods and smiles, gently patting Phyllis' arm. "Of course, Phyllis, you have in fact been very brave today and taken great risks already. Dawn it is for the hunting trip."

"Anna, if you wish to call the police station, I'm sure the Reverend Curry will be happy for you to use his telephone." Archie tells her where to find the telephone.

Prompted by this thought, Archie heads over to the elderly rector himself to make sure Giles had eaten properly, had a cup of tea etc.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Anna thanks the Rev Giles Curry and hurries upstairs to phone the police.
OOC,If she gets through she will say [color=#FF0000]"I am [b]Dr Anna Jerkins[/b], psychiatrist at the Maxwell Sanatorium. As you may know a patient of ours, [b]Mrs Catherine Exeter[/b], has absconded and remains at large. We are very worried about the risk she poses to the public. I, along with other members of our staff, and with the able assistance of [b]Lord Rufus Colville[/b] from the government, have been attempting to ascertain the whereabouts of [b]Mrs Exeter[/b] in order to return her to custody. As a result of these enquiries I have reason to believe she is being assisted by her daughter and son-in-law Major James and Madeline Steadman. A member of my staff reports that the Steadmans assaulted him when he confronted them and spoke openly of their intent to harm those seeking [b]Mrs Exeter[/b] including myself and the [i]late[/i] [b]Lord Colville"[/b].[/color] She'll give the Steadman's address and information that they were last seen in the East End near Liverpool St Station but not who was assaulted on her staff (since it was actually Eugene) or who followed the Steadmans (implying it was the same person) saying they don't want to press charges due to the shock of the experience. If necessary she'll emphasis the risk of violence Catherine Exeter poses. She won't talk about flying monsters or cults. If possible I'd like to try a Persuade to get the police to go looking for the Steadmans tonight (although I have a very low chance of success).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Giles seemed as well fed as anyone else under rationing, and he was drinking tea, though he assured Archie that he had already eaten. He welcomed Archie to help himself if he was hungry, however.

Anna got through to the local police station and spoke to WPC Fenella McBride, who did press Anna for further information, including what she didn't want to divulge. "We are aware of Mrs. Exeter's escape," she said, "and thank you for reporting this, Doctor. We'll notify our constables patrolling the East End as they come into the station, but there's no way to reach them while they're out on patrol. They already know to be on the lookout for her, but everyone looks pretty much the same in the dark. Perhaps in the morning they'll have better luck."
OOC,[b]Anna[/b], you may use a Credit Rating roll instead of Persuade to try to get her to take action tonight.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

"Officer McBride, I must insist you pass this information on tonight, it is my professional opinion as a psychiatric doctor that Mrs Exeter is dangerous and may have played a role in the death of Lord Colville" presses Anna in her most authoritative tone.
Anna Credit Rating 40,[dice]0[/dice]
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Satisfied that Giles is eating, Archie does a quick round of the shelter, offering a kind word or joke to anyone still awake, as well as the opportunity to pray together. (Archie tactfully does not make this offer to Benjamin.)

Archie follows this up with some quiet theological and liturgical discussion with Giles (as long as he's awake) then finds a free pew to stretch out on and sleep.
OOC:   There's nothing else Archie wants to do this evening barring further unexpected events. His plan is to be up at dawn "for the hunt".  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Goodness!" cried the policewoman. "I'd heard he was killed, but I had thought it was in the bombing. All right, I'll get word to Liverpool Street Station and circulate a description. They'll be on the lookout for her both in the station itself and the surrounding area."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 3”