IC-Ep 3-Darkness Falls(Phyllis only)

While Story, his companions, and their friends learn more about the threat they face and how to stop it, they also track down those responsible for unleashing it - with dangerous results.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 3-Darkness Falls(Phyllis only)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Queensway, Bayswater- London, England
7:00 PM - Monday, September 9, 1940

Phyllis waited for almost an hour watching the house after Brook left. The sun was starting to set and she was getting ready to call it a night when the front door opened and Major Steadman and Madeline emerged. The major was in uniform, and his wife was wearing a black dress.
OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b], please roll Hide if you don't want to be seen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: IC-Ep 3-Darkness Falls(Phyllis only)

Post by aine »

Hide,10% [dice]0[/dice]
Phyllis is right on the pavement when the door opens and there is no time to hide so she draws herself up and continues towards the house next door and raps on Doris's door. She nods politely to the couple,
"Lovely evening, are you off to a dance?" She says brightly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The theatre," replied Madeline, barely glancing in her direction and giving no sign of recognition. She locked her door, linked arms with her husband, and walked away to the south.

Doris opened her door a moment later. "Oh, good evening, dear," she said. "What brings you back?"
OOC,[b]Madeline[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Oh Doris!" Exclaims Phyllis, "I've got so much to tell you; you'd barely believe what's happening!" She lowers her voice, "I'm sorry I only knocked on your door so not to alarm your neighbours; you see, I'm secretly following them and must continue. Do you have a telephone, Dear? It's vitally important we keep tabs on all the Steadmans and now they've split up I'll have to leave Catherine Exeter unwatched next door."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You mean that madwoman is right next door?" gasped Doris. "Yes, I have a telephone. You're welcome to use it. If you need to follow them, I can keep an eye on things here. Or perhaps I could follow them and you could stay here, but they know me. I'm their neighbour, after all."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"You have a telephone? That's marvellous. Yes, the mad woman is next door. It would be very helpful to know if she leaves. Could you keep an eye out and if she leaves call this number to let them know." Phyllis gives Doris Anna's details at the hospital.
"I'd better toddle off, I want to keep Mr and Mrs Steadman in sight. Thank you so much, Dear and good luck!" Phyllis turns and walks back down the steps to the pavement to follow in the direction of the Steadmans.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, I was going to head to the shelter when the sirens go," said Doris, "but the bombs didn't fall around here the last two nights, so it should be safe enough. I'll call if I see anything. You're welcome, dear, and be careful!"

Phyllis followed the Steadmans to Queensway Station, which they entered. They went to the eastbound platform and waited until a train arrived. Once again, Phyllis had the dilemma that if she got in their car, they would probably see her. However, if she got in an adjacent car, they could get out without her spotting them and she could lose them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Phyllis decides to enter the same car at the far end. She takes a seat and picks up a discarded newspaper which she pretends to read; she's far too excited to concentrate on the ads and propaganda inside.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Major Steadman and Madeline were too distracted to pay any attention to Phyllis. They remained on the train until the last stop, Liverpool Street Station, when they alighted. Phyllis followed them onto the platform, which was already filling with people carrying blankets and pillows, preparing to spend the night here to wait out the air raids. The Steadmans headed up an escalator, and Phyllis got on behind them. When they reached the turnstile, an elderly conductor stopped them. "Best to stay below," he said. "The sirens have gone while you were on the train. It won't be safe out there."

"Thank you, but we're on official business," said the major, indicating his RAF uniform.

"Very well, sir," said the conductor, and he let them pass.
OOC,[b]Major Steadman[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Persuade,70[dice]0[/dice]
Phyllis breathes a sigh of relief as she leaves the train undetected.
"Now where? I wonder." As she climbs the long steps up to the surface.

When it's Phyllis' turn through the gate she says,
"I've got to go up to my friend's house and help her into the shelter; she's infirm and dotty and I know her little ways. We'll be all snug in time, don't you worry!" Phyllis crosses her fingers to cover the white lie.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right, make it quick," said the railway employee, stepping aside so Phyllis could pass. "The bombs will start falling any minute now!"

Phyllis made her way up to the surface, where the sun had since set, and soon caught up with the Steadmans. The major's limp had kept them from getting too far ahead. She followed them unobserved through the streets of East London, the darkness of the blackout concealing her, until they reached a bombed out house. They made their way through the rubble to a set of exposed stairs leading into a basement.

"Mother, we're here," called Madeline.

A minute later, Catherine Exeter emerged from the basement. She matched perfectly the descriptions that Phyllis had been given, and she hadn't changed her clothes from when Brook and Eugene had seen her last night. "Let's do this quickly, dear," she said.

"Yes," said Major Steadman. "The Luftwaffe will be here very soon. We haven't much time."

"I observed the sanitarium," said Madeline. "Anna Jerkins was there, all right, but it looks like she's spending the night there. We'll never get at her with all those people there."

"A pity," said Catherine. "Still, perhaps another night. What about Elizabeth Young?"

"Can't find any trace of her," said Major Steadman. "There's no official record of her. It's like she doesn't exist. There are others named Elizabeth Young, it's a common enough name, but none of them are the right age. I seriously doubt she's the same person as a little girl living in Scotland, though she does have a Scottish accent. Looks like we'll just find the nearest miscreant, then. Can't be too hard. There've been reports of looting the last couple of nights. Sometimes I wonder what this country is coming to."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Phyllis stands in the shadows, horrified. Her heart is thumping so loud she can barely hear over it; she is in so much danger the falling bombs are like autumn leaves in comparison. And there is no hope that Doris will raise the alarm; Catherine Exeter is never going to leave the house because she is already here.

And all her companions will spend a wasted night watching for the beast that will actually be prowling on the opposite side of London; right here where poor old Phyllis stands trembling with fright.

'Now you silly old bat, get a grip on yourself. You'll just have to wait here until they go away and then you can promptly turn around and get back down to that ticket collector. This is what comes of telling lies!' She scolds herself silently and then waits as motionless as she can, wondering what they want with that nice Miss Young.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's go, then," said Catherine. The three of them headed down a darkened street. Phyllis wasn't sure which one, as all the street signs had been removed in case of German invasion and she was not familiar with the neighborhood. In fact, she couldn't be quite sure where she was now. especially considering how dark it was. At least the bombs hadn't started falling yet, but it was only a matter of time.
OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b], please roll Navigate.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Navigate,10 [dice]0[/dice]
Phyllis watches the three walk away into the gloom, breathes a big sigh of relief and turns to head back to the tube. But which is the way back? She can't remember the way through the rubble and the street is very very dark.
"Oh my, I am in a pickle." Phyllis tries to keep her mind off prowling beasts as she digs in her handbag. "My last stick of 'Autumn Rose' I won't be seeing any more of you before the war ends I don't suppose."

Without further ado she undoes a lipstick and draws a big arrow in the direction that the Steadmans took. "Let's see if you are as smudge resistant as Yardleys say. Now then, which way...?"
Phyllis grips her umbrella and handbag with determination and sets out into the dark oposite to to the Steadmans.
"I will walk for ten minutes and if I don't see anywhere I recognise I'll have to find somewhere to hide until daylight." She whispers to herself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b], please roll Luck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Luck,50 [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Phyllis wandered through the black streets, but she couldn't find her way back to the Tube station, nor could she find any other shelter. She was now hopelessly lost.
OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b], please roll Listen and Spot Hidden.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Listen & Spot hidden,listen 25 [dice]0[/dice] Spothidden 50 [dice]1[/dice]
"Hopelesser and hopelesser." Mutters Phyllis. "There don't seem to even be any shelters around here. Or people. No wardens, no police. Just, ouch, blasted brick!" She sees a bus stop and decides to sit for a moment.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Phyllis didn't hear the drone of the aircraft until they were nearly directly overhead. Incendiaries began to rain down from above, which at least allowed her to see a little, though she still had no idea where exactly she was. However, she knew she was somewhere near the Thames. She could smell it from here, and once she found the riverbank, she'd be able to follow it.
OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b], please roll Luck again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

luck,50 [dice]0[/dice]
For once, Phyllis welcomed the rank smell of the river. She followed her nose south, her pace quickening all the time as the sky began to be lit up in sooty orange flashes.

Return to “Episode 3”