IC-Ep 3-Deeper Mysteries(Everyone else)

While Story, his companions, and their friends learn more about the threat they face and how to stop it, they also track down those responsible for unleashing it - with dangerous results.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Ep 3-Deeper Mysteries(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

The British Museum, Great Russell Street - London, England
11:05 AM - Monday, September 9, 1940

Story, Elizabeth, Brook, and the others arrived at the British Museum, which was open to the public at this time. They made their way inside and were soon directed to Carole Siddons's office, which Story and his companions recalled as having formerly belonged to the mad Professor Exeter. Carole had been his secretary then, but now she was in charge and had her own secretary. Carole was in the inner office, behind her desk, and she gladly allowed them in. "It's good to see you again," she said with a smile. "What can I do for you?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: IC-Ep 3-Deeper Mysteries(Everyone else)

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene leaves the explanations to Story. As the mysterious traveller talks to Carole, he takes out a pencil and notebook and makes a sketch of the jewel from memory.
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Story smiles at Carole and says, "It is good to see you as well. You look lovely today." He looks around her office briefly recalling its former owner and continues, "I was wondering if we could look at the books in the Vault once more. We gathered some valuable information last time, but I don't think we dug far enough."
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," said Carole, standing. "Of course I can take you to the vault again. There's not as much to do here these days." She led the group back to the antechamber. "Brigid, I'll be out for the next couple of hours. Heading to the vault again."

"Yes, ma'am," said the secretary, a pretty young woman with red hair and freckles.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years

Post by Pastiche »

"Déjà vu all over again!" whispers Benjamin.
Shelfunit
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Shelfunit »

Charles looks mystified by the surroundings, and situation, but feels slightly comforted by the knowledge that it is books they will be looking through, which he is familiar with, even if the ones he is used to are filled with numbers rather than words...
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Story thanks Carole and follows her.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Carole led the group outside and to Holborn Station, where she paid everyone's fares and they rode the short distance to Aldwych. Once on the platform, she led the way to a locked and guarded door at the far end, where the guard let the group through into a tunnel. She stopped at a sliding metal door and slid it open, to reveal a vast storage room with shelves loaded with crates. There was also a desk with a binder on it. "There's the catalogue," she said, indicating it. "Feel free to look through it, and I'm here to help you if you need it."
OOC,Everyone may choose a topic to research and roll Library Use.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Eugene is completely out of his depth among all the books, but decides to look for something about the magic he has been subjected to. Surely a weird subject like that should stick out like a sore thumb?
Library Use 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
Much to his surprise, he finds a likely looking tome.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth decides to look for references to the jewel, that Story named as the Shining Trapezohedron.
OOC:   Library use roll (stat 75%),[dice]0[/dice]  
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Story has also decided to try and find additional information on the Shining Trapezohedron.
FAILURE,Library Use - 90% [dice]0[/dice]
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Shelfunit
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shelfunit »

Charles hasn't the faintest idea where to look, so goes with looking for the stone...
Charles Library Use:25,[dice]0[/dice]
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years

Post by Pastiche »

Benjamin tries to see if he can find more information about the procedure to banish the monster.
Spoiler:
Library use 50%: [dice]0[/dice]
Turstrigo
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Turstrigo »

Eddie recalled Brook and Eugene mentioning Ancient Egypt, so he will start from there. He's going to focus on the more obscure parts.
Library Use: 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

By the time everyone was done with the research, it was late afternoon.
Elizabeth Young,[b]Elizabeth[/b] started looking through [u]De Vermis Mysteriis[/u], which [b]Story[/b] had mentioned had a reference to the Shining Trapezohedron. His description of the stone and its odd little box matched what [b]Eugene[/b] had told her. The stone was ancient even in Ludwig Prinn's day, and he cited another tome called [u]Al Azif[/u] that mentioned that it was created on the planet Yuggoth and brought to Earth by creatures called the Mi-Go, with which she was familiar from an earlier adventure. However, Prinn insisted that it was not made on Yuggoth at all, but was brought there by Nyarlatothep, another familiar name. The stone had been possessed by various beings, some of which were most decidedly not human. It was said to have been in Atlantis, and after Atlantis sank it eventually ended up in the hands of none other than Nephren-Ka, the Black Pharaoh, with whom she was acquainted as well. It had been buried in a sealed crypt along with a mirror, both of which had been taken by Queen Nitocris, whom she also recognized. After her reign, it seemed to have disappeared from the face of the Earth, but now it was back. Anyone looking at the Shining Trapezohedron risked being beguiled by its power, and only the most strong-willed could resist looking at it. Those who did not saw a series of otherworldly visions, and there was a chance they could even see and draw the attention of The Father of All Bats. This could also cause The Father of All Bats to appear as soon as the stone was immersed in darkness, such as by shutting the box. The stone was also said to have power over The Father of All Bats, which could be damaged by exposing the stone to light. [spoiler][b]Elizabeth[/b], you may roll Cthulhu Mythos.[/spoiler]
Eugene Thomson,[b]Eugene[/b] found a manuscript called [u]Ye Wytchfynder's Guyde[/u], which the catalog said dated back to the fourteenth century. The author's name was not known. The book was written in a variant of Old English that was difficult for [b]Eugene[/b] to follow, but he managed to find some useful tidbits. There was a section describing the spells and powers that witches were said to have. Between descriptions of being able to blight crops and giving someone the evil eye, the book mentioned one spell that was eerily familiar. A witch could, by making a series of arcane gestures, cause intense agony and blindness, along with blistering and disfigurement. These effects were temporary, with the blindness wearing off first, though the victim would be helpless and at the witch's mercy, a quality for which witches were not known, for several minutes. The author recommended that when a witch began to cast this spell to "stryke her down wyth all due haste."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

“I’ve found a lot about the stone in De Vermis Mysteriis, as I think you said Story,” says Elizabeth to the others. “It says that the stone was created on the Planet Yuggoth and brought to Earth by Mi-Go creatures.” She pauses, and looks at her friends before continuing. “However Ludwig Prinn thinks it was not made on Yuggoth, but brought there by Nyarlathotep. Later stories link it to Atlantis and the Black Pharoah. It was later buried in a sealed crypt with a mirror, and linked to the Egyptian Queen Nitocris. Then it disappeared. Then there’s a bit about its powers. Anyone looking at it can be beguiled by it, and only the strongest can resist. People caught by it see a series of otherworldly visions. It then talks about The Father of All Bats, who might appear if the stone is put in darkness, such as shutting its box. The stone has power over that creature, which can be damaged by exposing the stone to light. What is The Father of All Bats I wonder? Can we find anything on that? Is that the creature that is attacking people?”
OOC,Mr Handy how do I roll for Cthulhu Mythos? Is it a standard 1d100 roll? My current stat is 5%. Thanks.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

As he leafs through an ancient manuscript, Elizabeth's words wash over Eugene; Yuggoth, Mi-Go, Nyar-whatever-it-was, nothing but a stream of gibberish.
However his ears prick up at the mention of the Father of All Bats.

"That's the thing! The thing they summoned to attack me - they called it the Father of All Bats."

Pinching the bridge of his nose, he puts the manuscript down.

"I thought I could find something about the magic they used to paralyse me and how to stop it. I've found something alright, but the only advice it suggests is to 'strike her down'. I think this means we have to knock out Catherine before we do anything else."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm afraid we don't have much more time here today," said Carole, checking her watch. "It'll be time for tea before long. We can always come back tomorrow, though."
OOC,Yes, it's just a standard 1d100 roll, like any other skill. Anyone else with Cthulhu Mythos skill may also make a Cthulhu Mythos roll now that The Father of All Bats has been mentioned to everyone. That will determine what you might know about it. There isn't enough time to research it today.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

OOC,Cthulhu Mythos roll (stat 5%) [dice]0[/dice]
Shelfunit
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shelfunit »

"So this...Thing... it can be damaged, and killed by light?" wonders Charles out loud. "No wonder they want to attack at night. Is there a way to generate a lot of light very quickly, that can be hidden from them? I don't expect they'd just wander in to a well lit area knowing the harm it can do to their pet..."

Return to “Episode 3”