Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 3-Madhouse(Archie/Phyllis/Benjamin/Anna)

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy
Maxwell's Sanitarium- London, England
7:30 AM - Monday, September 9, 1940

It did not take long for Archie, Phyllis, Maggie, and Benjamin to reach Maxwell's Sanitarium. The ivy-coated marble building stood proud, barely damaged by the raids of the last two nights. The windows had been shattered by blast, though they had been boarded up, and some of the stonework on one corner had minor chunks blown out of it. They ascended the broad steps to the front doors and went inside. A pretty young brunette sat behind the reception desk. "I'm sorry," she said. "It's not time for visiting hours yet."

Re: IC-Ep 3-Madhouse(Phyllia/Benjamin)

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:21 am
by Pastiche
"Actually, we're not here to visit a patient. We're here to see Anna Jerkins. It's a matter of some urgency..." Benjamin adds nervously.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
"Dr. Jerkins came in to start her shift half an hour ago," she said, concerned. "Are you...patients of hers?"

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:16 pm
by aine
"No we are not. But it does concern a patient of hers. Could you let her know we are here? Thank you." Phyllis looks around the reception and finds a chair to sit on. "Oo look Maggie, old Knitting Monthlies!" She picks up a copy.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy
Maggie sat down beside Phyllis and perused the magazines. "I'll say," she said. "It looks like this one's left over from the last war. Still, knitting never goes out of style."

"I'll call upstairs," said the receptionist. She picked up the receiver and dialed. "Is Dr. Jerkins available?" she asked. "There are three older folks to see her, a man and two women. They said it's about a patient of hers." She paused. "Right, I'll hold." After a minute, she spoke again. "Thank you, I'll send them on up." She hung up the phone. "Dr. Jerkins will see you now. Through the door behind me, up one flight, first door on the right. She's with a patient now, but she says you should meet him."

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 pm
by aine
"I'll give her 'older folk'." Phyllis mutters as she climbs the stairs behind reception. She waits for the others to catch up and then knocks on Dr. Jenkins door.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:09 am
by Pastiche
"A patient we should meet... I'm not sure I like the sound of that..." Benjamin is slightly out of breath by the time he reaches the top of the stairs.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:36 pm
by aine
"It is rather alarming. I wonder how she knows it's us; maybe she thinks we are somebody else." Phyllis whispers to the others as she waits.

Re: IC-Ep 3-Madhouse(Phyllis/Benjamin/Anna)

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:26 am
by Mr. Handy
Anna opened the door from the other side and ushered the three of them into the room. It was a large ward with about a dozen beds, several of them occupied. It seemed that the bombing was causing a lot of stress in people. She led the way to one bed beside a window, where a white-haired man lay, a wild look in his eyes. In spite of the sunlight streaming in through the window, there was also an electric lamp on the bedside table, its bright light shining on his face. "This is Sergeant MacDonald of the Home Guard," she said. "Sergeant, are you feeling up to visitors?"

"We're doomed!" cried the man.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:50 am
by Pastiche
"Doomed? What do you mean, poor man?" Benjamin looks concerned, first at the Sergeant, and then at Anna, with a quizzical look.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:39 pm
by aine
Phyllis sits down by the man's bed, "Pull your self together, Sergeant MacDonald!" She says not unkindly. "Please make your report!" She looks round to the others,

"My husband used to say this was the best way with soldiers who had got themselves in a bit of a muddle. 'Back to basics, Phyllis.' He'd say. Of course this was the Boer War but I'm sure it applies now."

Was he part of the home guard sent to investigate the beast? Is that why you've introduced us?" Phyllis asks Anna.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy
"I believe so," said Anna, "but the other Home Guard men who brought him in wouldn't tell me anything about it. That's why I suspect he was there. I've been trying to get through to him, but he's just not responsive. He's terrified, and he insists on having lots of light."

Sergeant MacDonald saluted Phyllis. "Ma'am, my report is: we're doomed!" he said.
OOC,[b]Anna[/b]'s Psychoanalysis roll (90% skill) to bring [b]Sergeant MacDonald[/b] around: [dice]0[/dice] Anyone else may attempt a Psychoanalysis roll. The base skill is 1%. You may also roll Psychology, but that will only diagnose him.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:08 pm
by Pastiche
Benjamin pulls out his lighter from his pocket, flicks it open and brings the flame right up to face, obviously taking care not to burn the man.

"Relax, old chap. Plenty of light here! Now, can you be any more specific?"
Spoiler:
Psychoanalysis, 1%, you never know! [dice]1[/dice]
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy
"The thing in the dark!" cried Sergeant MacDonald. "The red eye! It saw me!"
Benjamin Klein,[b]Benjamin[/b] could tell that the sergeant was terrified out of his mind, and he was particularly afraid of the dark. He found the flame from the lighter comforting. His symptoms reminded him very much of [b]Eugene[/b]'s behavior, though [b]Eugene[/b] was not this far gone.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 am
by aine
Phyllis has a think, 'Sergeant. The red eye is not here in the daylight and you are safe. We need more details. How did you escape?'
So close!,Psychoanalysis. Phyllis rolled....3%

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy
"I ran, soon as I saw it," choked out the sergeant. "I heard shooting and screaming, and then...nothing. I left my men. I'm a bloody coward!" With that, he broke down and sobbed.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:42 am
by Pastiche
"Now, no need to get upset here. There's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of self-preservation! Had you stayed, you would have ended up dead anyway. Now, is there anything more you could tell us? Where did this happen?"

Benjamin awkwardly tries to pat the man on the back.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 pm
by aine
"Yes, if you hadn't made it back then we would have no warning about this; you did well, Sergeant, in the circumstances." Phyllis nods.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy
"Warehouse..." he mumbled. "In the basement...Egyptian room...God, it's horrible! Keep it away! No! NOOO!" He began flailing his arms, clearly agitated. The other patients were looking very disturbed by this as well.

"I'm going to have to sedate him," said Anna, taking a syringe and injecting the sergeant in the arm. After a little, he settled down and lay his head back on the pillow, a glazed look in his wild eyes. Those eyes slid closed, and he was soon snoring. "He's not as old as he looks, you know," she added quietly. "He's only in his forties. Don't let his hair fool you. I have it on good authority that it wasn't white yesterday." She shuddered.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:27 pm
by aine
"Goodness! Poor man." Phyllis shakes her head. "And is he the only survivor? I assume this was the home guard that were sent to investigate what we and the others uncovered? What have the authorities said? Is there an official report do you know?" Phyllis talks in a low voice.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:17 am
by Mr. Handy
"I don't know," whispered Anna. "They wouldn't tell me anything about that when they brought him in. All they told me was what they thought I'd need to treat him, which wasn't much. I presume that's what happened. If there's an official report, it'll be sealed tight."

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:40 am
by Pastiche
"What now? Should we try to get our hands on that report, or is there something more we could get out of this poor fellow?"

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:31 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Right now, he won't be talking, unless he talks in his sleep," said Anna. "I'll be around here all day, so if I can get anything more out of him, I'll be sure to let you know. I wouldn't bet on being able to get a hold of any report on the matter. It'll be classified Most Secret and kept guarded and under lock and key."

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:54 pm
by aine
Phyllis looks at the sleeping home guard.

"Poor man, let's leave him to rest now. Maybe someone like Lord Coalville would have access to the report. We certainly wouldn't I'm sure!
Doctor, thank you for this. We came originally to tell you that Catherine Exeter is still at large but I suppose you know that. It seems she has something to do with the murder and most likely on the attack on the home guard."

She looks at Maggie and Benjamin, "Do you think his account is quite similar to young Eugene's?"

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:04 pm
by Pastiche
"Yes, the similarities are too big to ignore. It seems the scale of this problem is expanding. Question is now, what's the best way to put a stop to all of this? Perhaps we should join up with the others again?"

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:25 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I quite agree," said Maggie.

"Yes, I'm aware that Catherine Exeter is still loose," said Anna. "I doubt she'll be easily caught, and if she is found, what's to stop her from escaping again?"
OOC,If you want to think of a way to find [b]Lord Rufus Colville[/b], please roll Idea.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:16 am
by Pastiche
"Colville you say? That's actually a good suggestion! Now, what would be the best way to go about this..."
Spoiler:
Idea 70%:[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:08 pm
by aine
Phyllis has a think,
"Ohoho I've just thought! That Eugene, he said the Steamans were after Lord Coalville and Anna - they know we are onto them- he said. Oh Doctor, you must be careful; you could be in grave danger!" Phyllis is alarmed.
idea,(70) roll; 80

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:33 pm
by Mr. Handy
Anna gulped. "Yes, I suppose I'll have to be," she said. "Madeline Steadman must have gotten suspicious after I visited her yesterday, and her mother and husband know who I am. I'll avoid being alone. If they do come after me, I doubt they'll want witnesses."
Benjamin Klein,It occurred to [b]Benjamin[/b] that [b]Lord Rufus Colville[/b] would be listed in [u]Who's Who[/u], and that the entry should include properties that he owns. He would also probably work at the Foreign Office, in King Charles Street near Whitehall, though it was anyone's guess what time he'd get there.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 pm
by aine
"But they took down a whole platoon of home guard! Anna, do you think a few witnesses would be enough? Land sakes! Maybe you should ask for protection from the army!" Phyllis gets rather flustered with the idea.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:55 pm
by Mr. Handy
"It's that creature that's the real danger," said Anna. "The only defense against it is light, so if I can't get back to the church in time, I'll have to get to a Tube station by the time it gets dark and stay there until morning. There'll be more than a few witnesses sheltering there. If that isn't good enough, nothing is. What could I tell the Army, anyway? If I tried to explain it to them, I'd be a patient here, not a doctor!"

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:22 pm
by aine
"Well you know best I'm sure, dear." Says Phyllis. "I'm tempted to try and buy a big torch or maybe a hurricane lantern, do you think Mr Klein? I've no idea how to contact his lordship but maybe we can meet back at the church and someone may know."
idea,To know where one might buy a suitable light source. idea (70) roll:12

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:14 pm
by Pastiche
"Hmm, Colville will probably be listed in the Who's Who, together with the properties he owns. Or, we could try and visit him at the Foreign Office, in King Charles Street.."
Spoiler:
Sorry for the delay, the email indicating new messages ended up in my spam folder...

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:54 pm
by aine
"Well it is rather urgent so maybe we should go to King Charles St. I'd like to buy a nice sturdy hurricane lantern from somewhere along the way. If we hurry we can do all that by lunchtime perhaps." Phyllis smiles at Anna, "We'll be on our way. Thank you, Doctor and good luck. I'm sure you can find us at the church later."

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy
"Cheers," said Anna.
Phyllis Cruckshank,[b]Phyllis[/b] realized that she could buy such a lantern in any general store. [b]Charles[/b]'s store would be perfect. While he wasn't there right now, he no doubt had employees working for him to open it.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:37 pm
by aine
"Let's stop at a general store if we see one, or at least visit Charles' shop by the church for a lantern or two. I'm afraid I've never been to the Foreign Office; had anyone got a map?" Says Phyllis as they bustle out of the hospital.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:07 pm
by Mr. Handy
"The Foreign Office is in Westminster, near Whitehall," said Maggie. "I can find it. Getting inside might be a bit harder."

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:35 pm
by aine
Phyllis says, "Humpf! When has that ever stopped the members of the Women's Institute?" she stands on the pavement and looks up and down the street, "Now, do you think there's a bus in the right direction?"

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I'm sure there is," said Maggie.

It was a simple matter to stop at Charles's general store and buy a couple of hurricane lanterns. He wasn't around, but he did have employees who were more than happy to make the sale. Anna and Benjamin each took a lantern.
OOC,Does everyone want to try to go to the Foreign Office, or would you rather try to look up [b]Lord Rufus Colville[/b]'s address in [u]Who's Who[/u], or try something else?

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:06 am
by Pastiche
"Let's try and go to the Foreign Office. I'm sure that all of us together can be very persuasive when it comes to gaining entrance!"

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:58 pm
by aine
"You have a treat in store, Mr Klein!" Says Phyllis as they board a bus,"Maggie here once sold two dozen jams to a closed meeting of deacons and bishops! She is a wonder to behold when it comes to shut doors!"

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, credit where credit is due," said Maggie. "I may have got the door open, but 'twas your umbrella kept it that way."

The three boarded a red double-decker bus that took them southwest to the seat of government in Westminster. There hadn't been any bomb damage here that they could see, but sandbags were piled up outside buildings and soldiers were on patrol and guard duty. They walked the short distance to King Charles Street.

The building entrance was guarded by a pair of soldiers with stern looks on their faces.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:36 am
by Pastiche
Benjamin clears his throat, straightens his jacket and walks up to the guards. "Greetings, fine gentlemen. We're personal friends of Lord Colville, and we urgently need to see him. It's a matter of life or death and national importance. Would you be so kind as to tell us where his office is?"

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:20 pm
by aine
Phyllis walks with him and gives the guards one of her 'special' looks. "Yes, we are involved with a special case with Lord Coville and have essential information for him."

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'm afraid he isn't in yet this morning," said one of the Tommies. "If you'd like to leave a message for him, I'll see that he gets it."

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:44 am
by Pastiche
"Could you tell us where he is instead? As we said, it's rather urgent that we talk to him in person..."

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:14 pm
by aine
"Yes, and some of the information is very sensitive, you know. For safety we can only pass it on verbally. Nothing against you and your men of course, but Lord Colville works on a need to know policy as you must be aware." Phyllis sighs.

"Which doesn't make it any easier for us old people. We are trying to do our bit for the war effort but the legwork doesn't half do one in. I really wish his Lordship would sit down and stay in one place sometimes!"

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,If [b]Anna[/b]'s player returns or she gets a new one, I'll post a link here to direct her to a new thread. Everyone except [b]Anna[/b] is moving to the thread linked below:
Convergence