Part 3A - Die Söhne von Meyernick (Alex)

Welcome to Weimar Berlin, where a heady stew of occultism, art, politics, and decadence barely covers the scars of the Great War and desperate poverty that followed - and where the veil between the waking world and the Dreamlands is wearing thin.

Year 1926.

Moderator: SunlessNick

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Part 3A - Die Söhne von Meyernick (Alex)

Post by Philulhu »

Alex took a deep breath and opened the door. ”Can we help you?” he said.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Outside are three men dressed in the same manner as the kripo-alikes you saw breaking up the riot at the temple. "How do you know the man next door?" the oldest of them barks, without making any introduction.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“We met in a bar,” Alex replied, as calmly as he could. “We needed somewhere to stay and he and his friend offered use of this room.”
Last edited by Philulhu on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Where is his friend now?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“I don’t know,” replied Alex. “We saw him yesterday but we didn’t see him after that.”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"You will have to accompany us for more questions. The dead man was one of the followers of Meyernick." Their faces don't look willing to take no for an answer, although they at least aren't producing ropes or handcuffs or anything.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Who are the followers of Meyernick?” asked Alex, playing for time. He glanced at Elsie - he didn’t fancy going with the Polizei but wasn’t sure what options they had.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"They have been causing trouble in the city, and this murder is no doubt part of it. Anyone involved will be held until we get to the bottom of it."

"We're not involved!" Elsie says forcefully.

"You are sleeping in a room the two men rented and admit to knowing them," the man says. Looking back at his younger fellows, he says, "Take them to the guardhouse for now." The other two straighten up got to step around him.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex looked at Elsie, unsure what to do. ”If we could just have a moment to get our belongings?” he said, stalling for time.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

He frowns, but nods. The other two step back slightly - they don't close the door, but you have room to do so yourself.

"I need to change," Elsie adds - she has no other clothes, so she's presumably giving you an excuse to close it.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”If you can just give us a moment, she won’t be long,” Alex smiled at the Polizei with a ‘what can you do?’ shrug and closed the door.
OOC, What’s the room layout? Presumably just one door, but any windows? Fire escape? What floor are we on?
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

First floor (the British first I mean) but the floors aren't too high - the window is big enough to get out of and it's not a long drop. The bed is too heavy to move, but the chair fit into the door pretty well the night before. There's another chair, and a table that's not too heavy - the table is by the window and opposite the door, while the bed is along one of the side walls.

Elsie is stuffing the books into her purse. It doesn't look like they ought to fit, but they seem to.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex quietly picked up the chair and wedged it under the door handle again, moving slowly so as not to make any noise. He’d prefer to lock the door, but the key turning in the lock would most likely give them away.

He crossed quickly to the window and looked out, checking to see if there were any more police outside. The coast looked clear so he carefully slid the window open and beckoned Elsie towards him. ”I’ll lower you down as best I can,” he whispered, “then I’ll follow you. Hopefully we can be out of her before they get impatient and try to come in!”
Last edited by Philulhu on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

The chair makes enough noise for you to wince, but they don't seem to have heard it outside. The room is at the back of the hostel, and the street outside is narrow and quiet. You and Elsie are able to get out and down without attracting attention. A short run in either direction is enough to get out of easy line of sight from the window, and there are plenty of turnings into Hlanith's backstreets. It's the city's version of daylight, the streaks across the sky being bright and faintly tinged with gold.

"I guess we're fugitives now," Elsie says ruefully. "I always half expected to be."
OOC,Alex knows her last name is Levy.
"What now?" she asks. "Try to find Jürgen, or just somewhere to hide until we wake up?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Let’s go and find Jürgen,” said Alex. ”We need to tell him about Konrad and let him know the Kripo are looking for him.”

He looked around to get his bearings. “By the sounds of it, we can’t go around asking where to find the Sons of Meyernick so I think our best option is to head back to the church and see if we can see him. Failing that, we can try the bar we were at yesterday. That sound like a plan to you?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Yeah," she says. "We should try that roundabout way of getting to the church, in case the Polizei they're still watching it."

It's a ride by taxi-cart back to the neighbourhood of the temple and the familiar clubs, although you're able to find one with a semi-roof, where you can keep your faces hidden from the street - at least the Kripo don't seem to be out in force yet.

When you get there, it's easy enough to work your way round for a covert look at the temple. Two of the brown-clad guards/officers are on guard outside it, and the crowd of Meyernick followers has gone. There's no sign of Jürgen.

You have more luck when you head for the bar, though in the sort-of-daylight it looks (and smells) more like a cafe. In the better light, you can see that the Three Magahs sign is adorned with a trio of colourful looking birds, though with claws at the joints of their wings. Jürgen is inside, eating and drinking with a couple of other men. He waves you over when he sees you.

Elsie seems slightly hesitant, but follows you if you go over to him.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Can you keep an eye out in case the Polizei turn up again?” Alex asked Elsie quietly.

Alex walked over to the table and sat down. Ignoring the men with Jürgen, he said, ”We missed you at the hotel.”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Elsie nods and buys a drink, before finding a table where she can see the window and doorway.

"Ja," Jürgen says to your comment. "I got caught up elsewhere with these fellows" - he gestures to the other two - "Ainan and Kluse, and this is Alex. I slept elsewhere. last night. Perhaps I could have helped Konrad if I hadn't, or perhaps I would be dead too. It's good to see you two well."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex nodded a curt greeting to the two men. ”What happened to Konrad? I must say you don’t seem overly concerned.”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"... Of course I am," Jürgen says. "We were talking about how to find who did it before you got here."

"We don't trust the guardsmen to care who killed a follower of Meyernick," the one he called Kluse adds.
OOC,Psychology 25; Rolling 1D100 with bonus die because you've already expressed suspicion: 22.
Jürgen's hesitation was a 'busted' reaction, yeah. Kluse seems more on the level though.

Return to “Berlin: The Wicked City”