Part 3A - Die Söhne von Meyernick (Alex)

Welcome to Weimar Berlin, where a heady stew of occultism, art, politics, and decadence barely covers the scars of the Great War and desperate poverty that followed - and where the veil between the waking world and the Dreamlands is wearing thin.

Year 1926.

Moderator: SunlessNick

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Part 3A - Die Söhne von Meyernick (Alex)

Post by Philulhu »

Alex reckoned Jürgen was telling the truth but still wasn’t happy. ”How come you stayed elsewhere?”he asked sharply. “Did you know you were going to be a target?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"No! Guardsmen don't like us, but I didn't expect assassination. Look... I promised I would take you meet the Son of Meyernick this morning. That offer is still open."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex glanced at Elsie. Consorting with the Son of Meyernick seemed like it could be bad for your health but it also looked like it might be the only way to resolve the situation that they found themselves in.

He nodded. ”Where are we meeting him?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"The apartment is near here," Jürgen says, "only a few minutes' walk."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex looked at Jürgen for a long moment. He nodded. “Let me just talk to Elsie.”

He stood and moved over the her table. He quickly explained the situation to Elsie and said, ”Do you want to come with us or would you prefer to stay here until I get back? The Sons of Meyernick aren’t exactly flavour of the month so I could be putting us in danger but I think I need to see him. He seems to be key to us getting out of here.”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I'd rather we stay together," Elsie says.

Jürgen and Klusse get up to leave with you, while Ainan remains behind. You only travel a short distance on the street, before they head into a building - they go straight through it to the alley at the back - this goes on for a while before they enter the back door of another building. The interior walls and floor are tiled, giving the place a faintly institutional air, though the layout seems to be that of another apartment building. They lead you three storeys up a winding flight of stairs, to a plain wooden door. Jürgen opens it with a key.

Inside are three people. Two - a man and a woman - look like anyone you'd meet in a Berlin street. The other is a duskier-skinned man.

The Berliner-looking man is dressed in a blue tunic and trousers. He stands and extends a hand. "This is Galles," Jürgen says. "The Son of Meyernick in Hlanith."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Guten morgen,” said Alex, shaking Galles’ hand. “I’m Alex and this is Elsie.”

“Do I take it from Jürgen’s introduction that there is more than one Son of Meyernick?” he asked.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"You are correct, though I am the only one of his sons in Hlanith. The others reside elsewhere."

"So Meyernick is a person?" Elsie says.

"Yes. A dreamer like you, with great power to reshape this world. He changed my face to resemble his own."

"He... changed your face?" Elsie says in a strangled tone.

"That is why I now call myself his son. And it is what taught me the unreality of this world in comparison to yours."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Forgive me for asking, but if Meyernick has such great powers, how is it that he cannot use those to resolve whatever problem it is that is keeping us here?” said Alex.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"You do not wish to be here?" Galles says, apparently taken aback. "Meyernick tells us that you and your kind are blessed. Chosen."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Chosen? Chosen by whom?” said Alex. “It certainly wasn’t my choice to be here or to be mixed up in this.”

“I’m a barman. I don’t want to be blessed, other than with good health and good friends. If you can get me back home in Berlin and I’m not dreaming of this place every night, then I’ll work with you. If not... ...” he shrugged.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Do you feel the same way?" Galles asks Elsie.

"I haven't had a good time of it here," she says. "Kidnapped, tied up, chased, and witness to a murder, and now maybe hunted by the Polizei."

"That is your answer?" he replies, though it doesn't sound like a question.
OOC,Alex's Pschology 25, Elsie's 45; Rolling 1D100 with bonus die 26, 38.
As bartenders, you and Elsie are attuned to when violence is imminent - and each attuned to when the other senses it. You feel Elsie tense up, allowing you to act simultaneously with Galles, saying "Kill them."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex didn’t hesitate or try to argue, he just struck out at Galles, trying to knock him on his arsch.
OOC, Fighting Brawl - 6/50 - extreme success! https://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceVerifier?RID=cce826e6-dbb3-4e72-b229-267c6bf0af5b
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Alex not only knocks Galles over, but into Jürgen for good measure. Both men fall into a heap that will imepde the other two in the room from reaching you for a moment. Behind you, Elsie darts to the apartment door and pulls it open.

Whether you want to run or continue the fight is your call - or get in one good kick before running :) - either way, you and Elsie each have two free actions before any of them can act against you (Jürgen and Galles have to get up, the others have to go round them).
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex pulled his brass knuckles from his pocket and slipped them on. ”Follow us and you’ll pay the price,” he said, calmly but with a steely tone.

“Let’s go,” he said, taking Elsie’s arm and leading her to the door. He glanced about as he did so, searching for something big and heavy, preferably made of metal...
OOC, Hmmm... I think not... (fumbled - rolled 100 vs 45 :o ) https://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceVerifier?RID=7e39c306-49a2-4c5e-985f-e1a8a3eadce6
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

OOC,I'm not using fumbles, as the recompense for not using pushed rolls, so it's just a fail.
You can't see anything to block the door with, but you can get out and make the stairs before anyone reacts. You reach the first turning before you hear Galles's voice saying "Stop them!"

Footsteps clatter on the landing above.
OOC,Because the chase is on stairs, I'm going to use Jump as the skill - in this case, a fumble will mean falling down them - one roll per flight. Alex's STR and DEX are both higher than his SIZ, so he gets a bonus die. First round: everybody but Alex fails. Second round: Elsie and one pursuer succeed, Alex and the other pusuer fail.
In spite of himself, Alex finds himself pulling ahead of Elsie after the first flight of steps, but she puts on a burst of speed and has caught up by the time you reach the storey below - one of your pusuers seems to be closing the distance as well.

Do you want to stop and fight, get off the stairs on this floor, or keep descending?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC, Is it an open staircase I.e. can you see up and down or are you hidden from sight every time you turn a corner? Also, does Alex have any concept of which floor of the building they are on?
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Yes, you went up three flights, so you were on the third floor (in British terms) - you've made it down to the second, two more floors/four more flights till you're on ground level - the stairs are open enough that you can see it's Jürgen who's closed the distance on you.

Seeing you looking, he calls out, "Stop!" though he's not taking his own advice, and his holding a long knife.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Keep moving!” Alex urged Elsie on. He continued to make his way quickly down the stairs, but looked out for something he could use to fight back against Jürgen.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

OOC,Two chase rounds: everybody fails rolls in the first, but Jürgen succeeds in the second.
You make it down to the first floor without anyone tripping, but Jürgen has closed the difference - maybe one person can navigate in the narrow space more easily than two.
OOC,Dreamshaping roll: 01.
You don't find anything to fight Jürgen, but your mind shapes a weapon into your hand (for an 01, you get to decide what said weapon is, so long it can be carried at a run with one hand - it can be a pistol if you want).

Return to “Berlin: The Wicked City”