Part 2 - Silberne Träume

Welcome to Weimar Berlin, where a heady stew of occultism, art, politics, and decadence barely covers the scars of the Great War and desperate poverty that followed - and where the veil between the waking world and the Dreamlands is wearing thin.

Year 1926.

Moderator: SunlessNick

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Part 2 - Silberne Träume

Post by Philulhu »

”That’s a possibility,” replied Alex, looking back to the artist. “Well, if you don’t want it, I’ll take it. It’s certainly a talking point.’ A glance to the young man suggested that he’s be interested in talking about this place that both of them seemed to have experienced.

He took the picture and thanked the artist. ‘I’ll get you a drink,” he said. “What would you like?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"Schnapps, bitte," the artist replies. Helmut takes the chance to buy a round for himself, Karl and Max, as well as Alex and Elsie if they can drink on the job (no one's going to fire them if they do).

The champion of New Objectivity pipes up again, citing alcohol as an appropriate price for an Expressionist sketch, and the gathered artists begin debating the merits of the two schools.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Danke," says Max. He listens to the debate with interest while he drinks his schnapps. While he's familiar with and admires Expressionism, a style used in some of his films, he doesn't really know much about New Objectivity and wants to learn more about it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

"Do you have any more paintings like this?" Karl asks the artist.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:While he's familiar with and admires Expressionism, a style used in some of his films, he doesn't really know much about New Objectivity and wants to learn more about it.
From the sound of the debate, it's mostly confined to painting and literature so far, though it's branching out - its core is an unflinchingly realistic portrayal of violent and degrading themes - it began among war veterans coming to terms with the things they'd seen and done on the Front. Its chief proponent in this gathering frequently praises an artist called Otto Dix for two series of paintings called Der Krieg (The War) and Lustmord (Lust Murder), and claims it exposes the hollow nature of Berlin's party life - the latter is greeted with a rejoinder that it hasn't stopped him from taking part in said party life.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:"Do you have any more paintings like this?" Karl asks the artist.
"Nein, only this one. It is not my usual style. I prefer nature."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Max has seen enough violent and degrading things in the war himself, and he has no desire to look at more. Besides, he enjoys Berlin's party life too. He definitely agrees more with the proponents of Expressionism, though he does not voice this. There is no point to alienating half of the crowd when he would much rather be everyone's friend.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"May I ask why you chose this subject, then?" says Karl.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:"May I ask why you chose this subject, then?" says Karl.
"I painted it in my sleep, strange to say."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Philulhu wrote:He took the picture and thanked the artist. ‘I’ll get you a drink,” he said. “What would you like?”
The young man follows Alex to the bar, ostensibly to buy a round for some of his friends. Once out of earshot of the gathering, he whispers, "You have been there too?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex gave the man a sharp look, then checked to see whether they were being overheard. ”Yeah,” he said quietly. “A few of us found ourselves there last night. Some sort of crazy dream world, but one where we’re all together, and we all remember the same details the next day.”

“We started in a bar and Elsie,” he nodded almost imperceptibly towards the barmaid, “Was kidnapped. Some guy who said she was a ‘dreamer’ planned to put her on a boat and take her to a temple or some such nonsense. I reckon he planned to heading to the slave market, to be honest!” He glanced across Elsie, checking she was ok.

Alex looked back at the young man. “You said ‘you’ve been there too’ so clearly you’ve been there as well. What did you see?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Philulhu wrote:Alex looked back at the young man. “You said ‘you’ve been there too’ so clearly you’ve been there as well. What did you see?”
"A city like the one Jürgen drew" - he nods toward the artist - "the street was full of nightclubs. There wasn't much outside, so I went in one. It was like a cabaret - a lot of transvestites, but I just drank and they didn't bother me any. When it got light I went out and started looking around. Most people just seemed to be walking around like extras in a film, not really doing anything, you know? Then I got to church - something like a church anyway - I thought about going in, but that's when I woke up. I thought it was just a dream until I saw Jürgen's picture. I'm Wilhelm, by the way."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

At this point the crowd of artists has become engrossed enough in their debate that the drinks can be delivered to their destinations and Alex, Karl and Max can confer without seeming rude. Helmut joins them, along with the young man Alex was speaking to, who introduces himself as Wilhelm. Elsie does as well, though she keeps an eye on the bar in case someone needs anything.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Max gathers with the others. "Extras in a film walking around?" says Max. "Now that's something with which I'm very familiar. I'm Max von Kleist." He holds out his hand to shake Wilhelm's.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Karl holds his hand out too.

"Maybe we share something in common, Herr Wilhelm?" he says with a smile.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex watched on, looking for any signs that any of the others around the table had experienced the night-time world.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"It seems we do," Wilhelm says. "But I hear you all experienced more of an adventure than I. What happened to your poor friend," he adds, nodding in the direction of Elsie.

From what Alex can discern, the rest of the artists are only talking about the merits of the various schools of their craft - they only reference Jürgen's picture as an example of Expressionist work.

Both conversations are interrupted by an object crashing through the window. It's immediately followed by another, trailing sparks behind it.
OOC,Alex's Spot Hidden: 45, rolled 05. Karl's Spot Hidden: 50, rolled 03. Max's Spot Hidden: 55, rolled 50. Elsie's Spot Hidden: 50, rolled 05. Helmut's Spot Hidden: 45, rolled 80.
Alex and Karl recognise the second object as a petrol bomb while it's still in the air - you both get one action before it lands, as does Elsie. Max gets an action just after it lands. Helmut is completely blindsided.

Elsie is still on her feet and turns toward to the bar (where Alex knows there is a fire blanket).

From outside you hear a yell of "Degenerates!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Should I wait until it lands to post my action? The name Molotov cocktail comes from the 1939-40 WInter War between the USSR and Finland, so our characters wouldn't know it as such, but gasoline/petrol bombs probably existed before that.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Should I wait until it lands to post my action? The name Molotov cocktail comes from the 1939-40 WInter War between the USSR and Finland, so our characters wouldn't know it as such, but gasoline/petrol bombs probably existed before that.
OOC,Petrol bomb then. I will edit it. Thanks. Better to wait,because you might be affected by what the others do.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Karl screams "Look out!", and dives away from the bomb.

Return to “Berlin: The Wicked City”