Part 1 - In Zwei Städten

Welcome to Weimar Berlin, where a heady stew of occultism, art, politics, and decadence barely covers the scars of the Great War and desperate poverty that followed - and where the veil between the waking world and the Dreamlands is wearing thin.

Year 1926.

Moderator: SunlessNick

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Re: Part 1 - In Zwei Städten

Post by SunlessNick »

Philulhu wrote:”He had her tied up in a cupboard,” replied Alex tersely. ”Just as well we got here when we did. He was talking about putting her on a boat to God knows where!”
"Mein Gott," Louis says. "We should leave here at once!"
Philulhu wrote:He tried to give Elsie a reassuring pat on her arm but he was tense - they weren’t out of the wood yet. He looked back at the building they had come from. He walked back towards the doorway and shouted through, “Cone on you two! Let’s go!”
Elsie presses closer, clearly welcoming the gesture.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:"Will you join us, Helmut?" asks Karl.
"Indeed I will," Helmut replies. "I am curious to see this temple for myself. And how far this world extends."
Mr. Handy wrote:"What about provisions for the journey?" asks Max. "There will be more of us than you had planned."
"The rest of my people here know of the voyage. They will be willing to give up some of theirs. It is no less than we suffered back in Dother."

At this point you hear Alex's voice through the door calling you to go with him.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Karl goes outside to speak to Alex.

“We’ve agreed to go with them” he says. “You should return to the city with the brothers. I guess we’ll see you back at the Café, eh?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Max follows. "If we don't, they'll just kidnap someone else,' he says. "I don't like it, but it's the best way to stop him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”You’re mad,” snapped Alex, bluntly. “If he says he’s going to do it again, you don’t go along with him! You report him to Kripo!”

He glanced around. “Or whatever passes for the Kripo around here...”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"What does pass for Kripo in this city?" Louis asks. "We have seen nothing that might."

"I'm not going anywhere with them," Elsie says.

"Nor I," Friede agrees, looking at Elsie's dishevelled state.

"I intend to go," Helmut says.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think people usually settle things in Hlanith by dueling," says Max, "but even if one of us won a duel, there's more than one of them, and sometimes people here don't stay dead."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Alex looked aghast at Max and shook his head. ”And you think that’s a reason to stay here?! You’re crazy! We’re better off sticking together and working out how to get out of here than going on some boat trip with a would-be kidnapper!”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"It shouldn't be difficult to get out of here" says Karl, following the sounds of the raised voices. "Just wake up, back in Berlin. We're just going to stay a little longer."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

“How does that work?” said Alex, irritably. “Do I fall asleep here and just wake up back at home?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not sure, but I can remember we've been here before several times and woken up normally," says Max. "We should be able to will ourselves to wake up, just like we can alter the world around us through will."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"We have been here a few hours, but we cannot be sure time passes the same way, so there is no telling how much time there is before we wake up," Helmut says. "However, I do not recall my previous visits with any clarity, both Karl and Max remember my being killed, and here I am. So it appears the danger in this journey is limited."

"There are other dangers than death," Friede puts in.

Louis hunches down at the mention of his killing Helmut, trying to look small.

"I am not getting aboard that ship with them, no matter what," Elsie insists.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't blame you," says Max. "There's no need for everyone to go. Anyone who doesn't want to go can certainly stay behind."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”That settles it. I’m staying here,” said Alex, adamantly. He looked at Max and Karl. “You really think it’s safe to go with him?’ He shook his head. “I’ll see you back in Berlin. Come to the bar and let me know you’re ok.”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Karl shrugs. “I honestly don’t know. But my curiosity to find out more about this place is too strong. I want to see what the stars look like.”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Good luck to us all, then," Helmut says.
Max and Karl,The Dotherite's prediction proves true. The rest of his community are willing to give up some of the donated food for Max, Karl, and Helmut - they are also effusively grateful to the three dreamers for being willing to help in this quest - and it does indeed appear that most were unaware of the preceding kidnapping plot. After a short while, one of the Dotherite's colleagues comes to say the ship is ready, and you're all led there. The ship is small and the six Dotherite men appear to be enough to sail it by themselves. It's two-masted, with lines low to the water, and space below decks where the supplies are stored and half the crew sleep at a time. There's a built up cabin at the stern, which is set aside for you - it's cramped, but you can all fit - there are three cots, but it appears two of them are hasty additions, as only one is bolted to the floor. The physicist in Karl finds himself very much hoping you don't run into a storm. As you cast off, the water is that inky shade of blue the Mediterranean sometimes takes on, the one the Greeks called wine-dark. The docks of Hlanith recede from view remarkably quickly, far more so than the speed you're travelling should indicate. The pale streaks across the sky gradually turn golden, the black expanse between them filling with blue - none of you consciously see the moment it changes, but in time the Sun is up in a normal sky, its reflected light making the dark water glitter. At some point during the voyage, each of wakes up back in Berlin, though you all have the sense in your mind that the journey is still happening, and when you next dream, you will find yourselves still upon it.
Alex,When you Elise, Friede and Louis find yourselves back on the streets of Hlanith, the pale streaks in the sky are darkening again, as if for evening, though it's many hours too soon for that to be happening. You can hear the distant sound of what appears to be cars, although you heard nothing of the kind earlier, and the dockside streets retain their mediaeval character. As you walk, one by one each of Louis, Friede and Elsie disappear from sight, and then you awaken to a Berlin morning.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

And on to part 2...

Return to “Berlin: The Wicked City”