Page 1 of 1

Part 1 - Ice and Time

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:15 pm
by SunlessNick
It's June 1927, and the Renaissance is in full swing. Black literature, art, dance, stage, and most especially music have gained a level of recognition that would have seemed an impossible dream only a decade before. Even whites flock to see pianists and hornmen perform at the clubs in Jungle Alley - though staff and bouncers are still careful not to allow the musicians to mix with the audience. Harlem has become a place where black men and women can stroll with pride and dignity.

Despite these accomplishments, many still find it hard to make ends meet. Leonard and Amelia Wright are in that boat right now, and are holding a rent party to cover their apartment for the month. The food is good, and the cover charge to get it in is easily worth it, because Leonard served with legendary pianist Willie Smith, the Lion himself, in the Hellfighters, and Willie has agreed to take some turns on the keys himself. The party will be loud, but the neighbours are sure to be stomping along instead of complaining.

The Wrights have a son in Mott Hall, which secured Mr Lammons's invitation. Meanwhile Miss Johnson was brought along by her friend Charlotte Covington (whom she gets to call CC) - who also has a son in Mott Hall, through which connection she knows she Wrights - JJ has paid to get in, so no one's going to make her sing, but more than a few people will be hoping she does.

[It's up to you two whether Ellis and JJ know each other already]

Both JJ and Ellis know that Charlotte is a widow - her husband Alexander died a few years ago of tuberculosis - her oldest son Alexander Junior works to help support the family, and between them they've managed to keep his brother (James, now 15) and sisters (Mary and Judith) in school.

As the party goes on, JJ increasingly gets the feeling that Charlotte really doesn't want to be there, and is badly bothered about something. Ellis can see it too every time their eyes meet, and it reminds him that James has seemed troubled lately as well, though he hasn't spoken about it to anyone that Ellis knows of.

Re: Part 1 - Ice and Time

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:25 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis feels a little out of place at the party, not sure why he accepted the invitation. As a school teacher, he has a reputation to consider, so he is on his best behavior. Therefore he is kind of glad of the excuse to talk to James, and find out what is bothering him.

James he begins. “Can you spare me a minute?”

He cocks his head, indicating that they go outside.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline Johnson is more than happy to sing. During a lull in the party, she takes Charlotte aside and speaks privately with her. "Is something wrong?" she asks her. "Whatever it is, you can tell me, just between us girls."

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:30 pm
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:James he begins. “Can you spare me a minute?”

He cocks his head, indicating that they go outside.
"Of course, sir," James replies. "Is it about school? I know I've not been my best." He follows Ellis outside and waits for whatever the teacher wants to ask. The party is still quite audible, either in the street or the hallway, but at least somewhat muted - the conversation can be quiet enough to be private.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:34 pm
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:Jacqueline Johnson is more than happy to sing. During a lull in the party, she takes Charlotte aside and speaks privately with her. "Is something wrong?" she asks her. "Whatever it is, you can tell me, just between us girls."
"I... I don't know what to do," she blurts out. "I only came to help Amelia out. I couldn't leave her in the lurch. But I should be at home. It's Alexander Junior. I haven't seen him in three days, and I don't know where he is. He's never stayed away like this, I'm so worried, but I don't know who to go to for help. There's no point asking the police, they'll just look for a reason to arrest him. What do you think I should do?"

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:02 am
by HoneyDog
"Would you like to tell me what's on your mind, James?" Ellis asks. "You seem out of sorts lately. I don't want to intrude, but something's obviously troubling you."

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course I'll help you, CC," says Jacqueline. "I'm sure there are other people here who would be willing to help out too. We can ask questions around the neighborhood, see if anyone else has seen him or knows what happened to him, talk to his school friends and teachers, that sort of thing."

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:22 pm
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:"Would you like to tell me what's on your mind, James?" Ellis asks. "You seem out of sorts lately. I don't want to intrude, but something's obviously troubling you."
"I've been having-" he starts. Then he seems to switch tack. "It's my brother, sir. None of us have seen him for days, not me or Mom, or Mary or Judith. Mom tells me not to be scared, that he's just working hard, but I know she's scared too. I'm afraid the..." he tails off again, but he obviously wants to unburden himself, and it only takes a little more prompting to make him continue. "There's a man in my dreams, looking for me. But I know he's real, because Alexander's seen him too."

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:28 pm
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"Of course I'll help you, CC," says Jacqueline. "I'm sure there are other people here who would be willing to help out too. We can ask questions around the neighborhood, see if anyone else has seen him or knows what happened to him, talk to his school friends and teachers, that sort of thing."
"Oh thankyou JJ! Alexander Junior works delivering ice. I think he's got friends there, but I don't know them. I think he's talked about an Elijah somebody, but I don't want to go to the company by myself."

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:24 am
by HoneyDog
James’ reply startles Ellis.

“What man? Do you know him?”

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"No problem," says Jacqueline. "I can go with you. What's the company's name, and where is it located?"

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:01 pm
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:“What man? Do you know him?”
"No, sir. But I think he knows me. He calls me by name. He says he needs my help, but I'm afraid of him."

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:07 pm
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"No problem," says Jacqueline. "I can go with you. What's the company's name, and where is it located?"
"He buys from Colonial," CC replies. JJ would be aware that that's the wholesaler, Colonial Ice and Coal on 8th and 151st - ice deliverymen buy direct from it and sell to homes and businesses around Harlem - but most of the deliverymen are Italian, and a lot of them resent the black segment of the workforce - it's not a surprise that CC would be worried about going there alone, especially if it would give them an excuse to think Alexander Junior is unreliable.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:07 am
by HoneyDog
“Why?” asks Ellis. "Why does he need your help, and why are you afraid?"

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:59 pm
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:“Why?” asks Ellis. "Why does he need your help, and why are you afraid?"
"He says I'm his blood, sir. But he's a white man. And the look in his eyes. They're like a monster's eyes." With a slight choke in his voice, he says, "I know I sound like a little boy. Not the way you teach me to be. I told Alexander about my dreams, and he said he had them too."

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Okay, we'll go there together first thing in the morning," says Jacqueline. "In the meantime, we can canvass the other guests at the party and see who else might know something or be willing to help."

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:26 am
by HoneyDog
“It’s okay, James says Ellis, patting his shoulder. “I can’t blame you for being unsettled. Did Alexander tell you anything else about the dreams?”

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:41 pm
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:“It’s okay, James says Ellis, patting his shoulder. “I can’t blame you for being unsettled. Did Alexander tell you anything else about the dreams?”
"Only that the man had said the same things to him, sir."

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:43 pm
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"In the meantime, we can canvass the other guests at the party and see who else might know something or be willing to help."
"Thankyou. Thankyou, JJ." CC brushes her eyes briefly. "I think I saw James with his teacher just now."

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:43 am
by HoneyDog
“I see” says Ellis. “Well, we’d best try to find out where he is. Have you contacted his workplace?”

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome, CC," says Jacqueline. "Let's go talk to them now."

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:43 pm
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:“I see” says Ellis. “Well, we’d best try to find out where he is. Have you contacted his workplace?”
"He delivers ice around Harlem," James answers - "he buys from that Colonial place."
Mr. Handy wrote:"You're welcome, CC," says Jacqueline. "Let's go talk to them now."
The two pairings find each other easily enough. James hugs his mother and confesses that he told Mr Lammons Alexander is missing - he doesn't mention having spoken about his dreams. CC says that's all right, they might have found some help.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi, I'm Jacqueline Johnson," says Jacqueline. "James, I'm helping your mother find your brother. Did he have a particular steady route for his ice deliveries? If he did, we can retrace the route and see at what point he didn't show up on the last day he worked."

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:46 pm
by SunlessNick
"Yes, Ma'am," James says, looking between Ellis and JJ. "He mostly worked in the Valley - apartments on 132nd and 133rd."

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:14 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis tips his hat to Jacqueline.

“Why don’t we head on down to the Valley, then, and see if there’s been any sign of him.”

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Excellent, that helps a lot, James," says Jacqueline. "We can just go door to door like Alexander Junior did and ask the people he delivered to about him."
OOC,What time of day is it? I was under the impression that it was evening, but I don't think it specifically says.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:43 pm
by SunlessNick
The next day is warm and muggy, though the Valley is still a place for strolling, and the streets are far from empty (it's also a Saturday, so Ellis doesn't need to be in school). Both Ellis and JJ are greeted frequently, be it by parents or listners. Music radiates from windows, and more than one wall sports a mural by Aaron Douglas.
HoneyDog,Does Ellis tell JJ about James's dreams? He didn't mention them to her himself, and seemed embarassed about them, so it's reasonable to presume he would want them kept confidential. However it may also be relevant to Alexander's problem.
132nd Street is mostly apartment blocks, while 133rd also contains a row of clubs known to New York's white inhabitants as Jungle Alley (but Alexander didn't deliver to those).

Asking at doors reveals that that Alexander last made his rounds three days ago, in the afternoon - that is a few hours after Charlotte last saw him. He should have made another delivery yesterday, but none of the residents or caretakers you speak to claim to have seen him. A few of the caretakers have already complained to Colonial Ice and Coal, and are confident of a new deliveryman taking over.

One of the caretakers on 133rd has a slightly different attitude: "He seemed nervy, like he was a afraid someone was gonna jump him. I almost asked if he needed any help, but it wasn't my business. He looked all right when he left, anyway."

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Jacqueline. "Did you see which way he went?"

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:21 am
by SunlessNick
He indicates down the steet toward the clubs. "I didn't see where he went after that."

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:45 pm
by HoneyDog
SunlessNick,No, Ellis will keep that to himself. It felt like James told him in confidence.
“Did you see anyone else around?” Ellis asks. “Like, a white man?”

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:57 pm
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:
SunlessNick,No, Ellis will keep that to himself. It felt like James told him in confidence.
Ok.
“Did you see anyone else around?” Ellis asks. “Like, a white man?”
"There were people about," the caretaker muses, "but I didn't see anyone following him. I took a look, as he was nervy like I said, but no one took notice of him except to say hi."

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:23 am
by HoneyDog
“Thanks” says Ellis to the man.

To the others he says, “Maybe we could check the clubs?”

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's our next stop," says Jacqueline. "I know my way around the clubs. I've performed at several of them."

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:53 am
by SunlessNick
JJ has indeed performed at several of the clubs, although there are a lot of them, ranging from dance halls to basement speakeasies to restaurants to pool halls. Most are white owned, but the owners (and white customers) tend to show in the evening - during the day, premises tend to be left to local staff, variously Black, Jewish, Latino and Italian. It's your call whether you start at the nearest, or continue on to one JJ is familiar with.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:49 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry just to confirm - CC and James aren't present?

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe we should start with one of the clubs where I've worked," says Jacqueline. "They're more likely to be willing to help."

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:59 pm
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,Sorry just to confirm - CC and James aren't present?
OOC,No, just you two. (James has a Saturday job while he's not at school, delivering newspapers elsewhere in the Valley, and Charlotte works in a shop).

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:18 pm
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"Maybe we should start with one of the clubs where I've worked," says Jacqueline. "They're more likely to be willing to help."
Evan's Place is a pool hall by day, with a speakeasy that opens at night in the basement, where JJ has performed more than once. James Evans is the owner and a famous pool hustler - most of the daytime staff take after him, and you'll get more out of them if you play a few racks.

The Barbary Club is run by the Reyes family, Pueto Rican immigrants to Spanish Harlem. It's another speakeasy, but has a bigger dance hall than Evan's. JJ is one of the bigger draws.

Tillie's is a kitchen run by Tillie Frip (although she herself works nights) - it serves food to club employees during the day and party goers during the evening. You can find a crowd there any time.

The Nest is the big place on the block, a dance hall, gambling joint, pool place, and speakeasy all in once. It tend to the loud and wanton - JJ has performed there, but the audience likes their performers scantily clad - it pays well, but the staff aren't likely to be friendly unless they think there's a chance to book her again.

The Loa Club is named for the spirits of Voudun, and is popular with who've immigrated from the Caribbean. They put on both music and conjure acts, Caribbean music as well as American styles.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"We could try The Barbary Club first," says Jacqueline after she describes the clubs she knows. "I perform there a lot, and they really like me, so I think they'll help me out."

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:30 am
by HoneyDog
"Sure" says Ellis. "I'm not very familiar with these places, to be honest. It's not my scene" he adds, apologetically.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:10 pm
by SunlessNick
Closed, the interior of Barbary Club seems large and echoing - however the murals of Spain's Mediterranean coast that decorate the walls lend it a bright and warm air. A few members of staff are cleaning the tables that run down the far side of the dance floor - the stage is to the left and the bar to the right. At the bar is Daniel Reyes, who handles the accounts - JJ has talked to him a few times when getting paid for a gig - in conversation with a couple of the barmen.

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hey, Daniel," says Jacqueline, sauntering up to the bar. "I was wondering if you might be able to help us. This is Ellis Lammons. One of the students at the school where he teaches, Alexander Covington Junior, has gone missing. He was last seen three days ago heading this way." She describes him.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:46 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"Hey, Daniel," says Jacqueline, sauntering up to the bar. "I was wondering if you might be able to help us. This is Ellis Lammons. One of the students at the school where he teaches, Alexander Covington Junior, has gone missing. He was last seen three days ago heading this way." She describes him.
OOC:   Alexander Junior is the brother of one of Ellis's students - or were you just cutting the length of the story down for the sake of the witness?  
Daniel greets you and admires your look before addressing the question. "I don't remember seeing a boy like that. Do you know if he planned any business here?"

One of the barmen interjects, "Was he driving a cart?" [The answer to that question is likely to be yes - icemen deliver their wares via a horse-drawn cart]

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:03 am
by HoneyDog
"Yes, most likely" Ellis replies.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"He was delivering ice," adds Jacqueline.
OOC,Oh, I thought they both went to the same school.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:21 pm
by SunlessNick
"I did see a horse drawn cart," the barman says. "It turned north on eighth. The driver was just a blur to my old eyes though - I don't know if it was your guy. Sorry." Going north on Eighth Avenue would take Alexander Junior well away from his delivery route - however the timing of the sighting checks out with what the caretaker told you.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that does help," says Jacqueline. "Now we know where to continue our search. "

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:47 am
by SunlessNick
The nearest prominent landlarks on the indicated route are:

The White Rose Mission is on 136th Street - it was founded by a teacher and a former slave and provides safe harbour for young women newly arrived in Harlem. Ellis is vaguely acquainted with the teacher in question, Maritcha Lyons - she works in Brooklyn, but has helped women in her care get in touch with schools in Harlem. However, as I said, the Mission serves women rather than men.

The Wiley Wilson Sanitarium on 138th and 7th is a small clinic that offers medical services to people in the Valley unable or afraid to go to Harlem Hospital itself. JJ has met Dr Wilson, who is the ex-husband of A'lelia Walker, one of the more notorious bookers of acts, holders of salons, and patrons of artists in Harlem. However, if that's where Alexander Junior is going, he's taking an indirect route.

If he kept going west, he'd cross St Nicholas Avenue and end up in St Nicholas Park, a strip of green on craggy and narrow ground. It's one of the few places where you could hide a cart, although it going undiscovered for three days is very unlikely.
OOC,Ellis's Intelligence: 80 Rolled Idea: 68
At that thought, it occurs to Ellis that if Colonial Ice and Coal (which is on 151st and 8th) had been missing its horse and cart for three days, it would probably have called the police, who in turn would have visited the Covingtons' apartment. But neither Charlotte nor James mentioned anything like that.
Also Ellis,Finally on 134th Street, just north of Seven Avenue, is St Phillips's Protestant Episcopal Church.
There are of course a variety of smaller shops and alleys.

The sidewalks are bustling with people out strolling, although the likelihood of getting useful out of a randomly accosted passerby is low.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:10 am
by HoneyDog
“Has Alexander been reported absent from his work, do you know?” Ellis asks Jacqueline.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know," says Jacqueline. "We could inquire at Colonial and see if he returned the cart, and the last time they saw him. He may have been heading back that way."

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:01 am
by HoneyDog
"Let's do that."

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:51 pm
by SunlessNick
It's quite a walk to Colonial, and it's near lunchtime by the time you arrive. It's a wholesaler, so regular folks don't go there to buy - only the icemen themselves come and go. Most of them are Italian, and have locked themselves into getting all the commercial custom - the black deliverers are limited to dealing with apartments and private homes. The better off own their own carts or trucks, while others (like Alexander Junior) have to rent them, the cost of which gets added to what they pay for the ice.

JJ will remember CC telling her Alexander Junior had a friend called Elijah. Or you could talk to the sales clerk in Colonial (a glance through the door tells you that's a white man sitting a desk, currently speaking to an Italian iceman).

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's try to find Alexander Junior's friend Elijah first," suggests Jacqueline. "He's more likely to want to help."

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:08 pm
by HoneyDog
"I think so too" says Ellis. "And we don't want to get Alexander into any trouble."

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I was thinking the same thing," says Jacqueline.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:44 pm
by SunlessNick
Asking among the few black icemen who are around elicits the information that Elijah is currently making his own rounds, but should be back in a little under an hour. It gives you both time to get some lunch if you want.

When he appears, he turns out to be a tall man in a scraggy greatcoat you recognise as coming from an army uniform. He stops his cart and fusses briefly over his horse giving a chance to accost him before he enters Colonial's office. "Yes?" he says. "Are you here to arrange a purchase?"

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No, we're looking for Alexander Covington Junior," says Jacqueline. "I'm Jacqueline Johnson, a friend of his mother's. When is the last time you've seen him?"

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:51 pm
by SunlessNick
"You're here about Alexander?" He looks suspciously at you both for a moment, before apparently deciding he can trust you. He asks you to wait while he talks to the clerk inside, before he wonders what Elijah's up to.

When he emerges a few minutes later, he says, "I brought Alex's cart back here, like he asked, but I can't keep covering for him. I've told them his arm got hurt, but the Italians are already sniffing after his route, and if they get it for good, Alex is fired. Wait... you're looking for him? How long is it since his mother saw him?"

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Three days ago, as of last night," says Jacqueline. "We're afraid something may have happened to him. Someone saw what was probably his cart heading up 8th from 133rd. Where and when did you talk to him and get his cart to bring it back? What did he tell you?"

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 pm
by SunlessNick
Elijah brushes a hand over his mouth. "Three days? I saw him then. I'd finished by round, and I was heading down Eighth - I like to visit St Nicholas Park, you know - anyway, I ran into him and said hello. He asked if I could look after the cart. He said he had something he had to do real urgent. I was a bit put out, but I said yes. But then he didn't come back for his next round. I told the clerk Alex was hurt, and he gave the round to Guiseppe - that's that guy there - but if I keep doing that they'll just fire him anyway.
"But I saw him again yesterday. I was passing by St Phillip's and he was outside, looking like he wasn't sure about going in. I asked him what was up, and for a second it was like he didn't know me. Then he said he was in trouble, but he ran before I could ask if I could help.
"I swear I didn't know he hadn't gone home, or I would gone and told his Mother about it. Alex's eyes were scared though. I don't know what's wrong, but if he's staying away from his family it's because he's scared for them, I'm sure of it."

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that really helps," says Jacqueline. "We'll be off to St. Phillip's then. Do you have directions to it?"

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:28 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"Thank you, that really helps," says Jacqueline. "We'll be off to St. Phillip's then. Do you have directions to it?"
OOC,No need, it's the biggest church in Harlem - everyone knows where it is (134th Street).

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:13 am
by HoneyDog
"Thanks for your help" says Ellis. "Let's go."

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:14 pm
by SunlessNick
The route back to St Phillips is a long one, down either Seventh or Eighth Avenues. It is afternoon now, and the shoppers and strollers of the morning have been replaced with small gatherings and impromptu music in porches and alcoves. Invitations to join the former are not infrequent, and JJ is known among several of the latter, eliciting a few risque if veiled comments to the effect of whether Ellis is a new boyfriend. Despite the problem you are investigating, Harlem's community has a way of buoying the mood.

When you reach St Phillips, there are a few people entering and leaving, although Alexander Junior is not among them right now.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:51 am
by HoneyDog
"Let's find the Pastor" says Ellis.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline nods and goes inside with him.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:00 am
by SunlessNick
The interior of the church is cool, but well lit through the stained glass windows. It's not Sunday, but there are plenty of people within, most sitting quietly, perhaps praying. A few speaking to the two Pastors currently on duty.
OOC,Average of your two Luck scores: 47 Rolled 1D100: 35
You are pretty sure the young man speaking to one of the pastors is Alexander Junior. His body language is hunched and cowed, no matter the reasurance that the pastor is trying to project.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:15 pm
by HoneyDog
Ellis is torn between eavesdropping and being a good Christian. In the end, his honesty wins out.

“We should wait until he’s finished” he whispers to Jacqueline. “Better not interrupt.”

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 pm
by SunlessNick
The conversation continues a few minutes more, with both men growing slightly more agitated - whatever Alexander Junior wants from the pastor, he does not appear to be getting it. However they keep their voices low, and make an effort to end their talk amicably. Alexander Junior sits quietly for another more minutes, seemingly in prayer, before getting up and making his way toward th exit. As he grows closer, you can both see tears in his eyes.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:03 am
by HoneyDog
"Alexander!" Ellis calls out. "May we speak with you?"

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's me, JJ," says Jacqueline. "We're here to help you."

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:42 am
by SunlessNick
"Miss Johnson!" Alexander exclaims. "And... Mr Lammons, isn't it? You teach James? How... how is he? They sent you to find me didn't they?"

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:58 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis spreads his arms.

“They’re really worried about you, Alexander. Do you want to tell us about it? We can help.”

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Elijah is covering for you at Colonial," says Jacqueline, "but he can't keep it up much longer before they give your route away to Giuseppe."

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:06 am
by SunlessNick
"I can't go home," he says. "I'm afraid I'll be putting them in danger. I tried getting away, but I couldn't. I'm... blacking out, I guess. When I come to, I'm always back here, a shed in the park. I don't know what I do when I'm... him."

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:59 am
by HoneyDog
"Do you mean the man in your dreams? James told me about him. Who is he?"

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:40 am
by SunlessNick
"James told you that?" Alexander's shoulders slump with mixed relief and despair. "I tried to explain to the pastor here, but he doesn't believe me. Yes, sir. I've been dreaming about him for weeks now. It's as if he's talking to me. He says... he says my family belong to him... I thought it was just nightmares until James told me he'd been having them too. What if he hurts them? If I don't let him take me, will he go after James instead?"
JJ,This would be the first time you've heard about the man in Alexander and James's dreams.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:45 am
by HoneyDog
"Take you where, Alexander? What does he want with you?"

The story seems unbelievable, but Ellis can tell that Alexander is being genuine. He's met enough dishonest kids in his time as a teacher.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is all new to me," says Jacqueline, "but I can tell it must be serious."

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:35 pm
by SunlessNick
"Not take me somewhere," Alex replies. "He wants to take me over - have my body. I think he's a dead man. The way he dresses, it's old. I know ghosts shouldn't be real, even the pastor doesn't believe me. But it's what he says to me.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Does your mother know about the dreams?" asks Jacqueline.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:04 pm
by HoneyDog
"What does he say to you?" asks Ellis.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:03 pm
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"Does your mother know about the dreams?" asks Jacqueline.
"I haven't told her, Ma'am. I couldn't."
HoneyDog wrote:"What does he say to you?" asks Ellis.
"That he can use me to come back. Make me help him. That shed I told you about - whenever I wake up there, there are numbers drawn on the walls. I think me makes me write them when I'm blacked out."

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We should go take a look at the shed and see these numbers," says Jacqueline. "Maybe they mean something."

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:20 pm
by HoneyDog
"Yes" agrees Ellis. "Let's try and make sense of this."

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:57 am
by SunlessNick
The shed is in St Nicholas Park, a thin strip of rough greenery along the edge of St Nicholas avenue. It's clearly meant as storage for gardening tools, though the New York city concil doesn't bother maintaining a park in Harlem, and neither of you recall ever seeing any workers going in or out of it - the lock has been broken open, which Alexander admits was probably him during one of his blackouts. Inside there are some tools piled up near the far end - a couple of rakes, a set of shears, a rusty mower. Otherwise there is an open can of paint, presumably the source of the numbers daubed on every interior wall.
OOC,Ellis's Mathematics skill: 70 Rolled 1D100: 65
Ellis can tell that numbers are clearly equations, and advanced ones - they're repeated many times, in slightly different versions. They appear to be vector calculations, but in four dimensions rather than three.

"Every time I wake up here there are more of them," Alexander says.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:25 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry, the significance is lost on me! Perhaps Ellis can scribble them down, take them home and work on them.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, that stuff's over my head, and I'm not bad at math," says Jacqueline. "You're the teacher, Mr. Ellis. Maybe you can make more sense out of these numbers."

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:44 pm
by SunlessNick
From what Ellis can glean, the equations seem to be describing movement and direction [that's the vector part], but they reference four directions of movement rather than three - as if they were describing were length, width, height, and something else. Most of them have the same basic construction, which you can note down on its own - they then plug different numbers into the calculation, yielding different answers.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:25 am
by HoneyDog
“It’s almost like there’s another, a fourth dimension, in these equations” Ellis muses. “Maybe that’s where you go to in your dream, Alexander. This is fantastic.”

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:53 pm
by SunlessNick
"Is that where he is then? This fourth dimension?" Alexander asks. "How can he get into my head?"

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:26 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis shrugs. "I guess the natural laws must be different somehow. People are able to do things that they couldn't do here. Question is, why is he doing this? You'd better tell us everything he tells you, if we're going to figure this out."

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think I get it," says Jacqueline. "I once read a book called Flatland, which was about a two-dimensional world with which a three-dimensional man observes and interacts. It does suggest that there could be a fourth dimension beyond ours. A four-dimensional being could look into this world in a similar way. If it were to physically interact with our world, all we'd see of it is a three-dimensional cross-section. Just like if I were to move my finger through Flatland, a Flatlander would see a circle that changes in size. I can't even imagine what a four-dimensional being would look like to us. Shifting spheres, maybe?"

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:13 pm
by SunlessNick
"He just looks like a man in my dreams, Ma'am. Dressed rich, but very old-fashioned," Alexander says. Turning to Ellis he adds, "He says my family are... his. And that I have to help him come back. He doesn't say where from. Every time I sleep, I dream about him, and then I wake up here with more of the math written on the walls. He never calls me by name, just 'boy.' But a lot of white men do that."

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:19 am
by HoneyDog
"That's what these numbers are about, then" says Ellis. "A way to come back."

He stops, unsure of how to proceed.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, no white man is going to make you his slave, dream or not," says Jacqueline. "I'm not sure how to stop him yet, but we'll find a way. This sounds like a spiritual problem to me, and you were right to come to the pastor. Maybe if we go have a talk with him, we can convince him to help."

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:35 am
by HoneyDog
“No” Ellis shakes his head. “Sorry, Miss, normally I’d agree. But these equations show that the problem has a logical explanation, which can be solved scientifically. It’s just that the usual rules don’t apply. I don’t think the pastor would be able to provide any explanations for this. I want to show these equations to someone who could make sense of them.”

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe it's a little of both," says Jacqueline. "We can pursue both avenues. A religious expert can help us with what sure looks like an attempt at demonic possession, and a math expert can help us with the numbers."

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:34 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis shrugs, unconvinced. He’s not sure he’ll be able to do anything to help, but if it can make Alexander feel better, he’s willing to try.

“Sure. But if you bring the pastor here, don’t let him touch these numbers. For now.”

He starts to copy the equations into his notebook.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:53 am
by SunlessNick
"Thankyou, Ma'am," Alexander says to JJ.

Ellis: You would be aware of a physicist named Dr Elmer Imes, who lives in New York - the second black man to be awarded a physics doctorate - and he works in quantum mechanics. at the City University of New York. Most others in the field, in the physics department or otherwise, would be white and it might be hard to get them to listen.

JJ: Do you plan to approach the same pastor Alexander was speaking to, or find another one?

And in the meantime, what are you advising Alexander to do?

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:42 am
by HoneyDog
There's a physicist I know of at City University. I'm going to see if I can show these numbers to him. It might have to wait until Monday though. You should contact your family Alexander. Let them know you're okay. If you're afraid to go home, you can stay with me."

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome, Alexander," says Jacqueline. "That's a good idea. In the meantime, we can speak to the pastor at St. Phillips. I think we can convince him either to help or to point us to someone who can, and we won't have to explain everything all over again, as he's already aware of the situation."

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:57 pm
by SunlessNick
"I will do as you say, sir," Alexander says. "And I will return to work on Monday." His voice has a new confidence now he's not alone in this. And he accepts Ellis's offer to stay with him.

It's getting toward Saturday Evening. Will you try to see the pastor again immediately, or wait for tomorrow?

It's true that Dr Imes won't be in his office until Monday, although Ellis will be teaching that morning too (it is the last week of the semester before the summer break).

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Let's see the pastor right now if we can.

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:50 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Ellis will telephone the university now, and leave a message for Imes to contact him as soon as he can.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:37 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,Ellis will telephone the university now, and leave a message for Imes to contact him as soon as he can.
OOC,There is a secretary there who takes the message.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:41 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Let's see the pastor right now if we can.
The church has about as many people in it as it did before, though a few of the faces are different. You can see the pastor in question, just finishing a conversation with a colleague. He looks as if he's about to go, but you're able to get his attention first.

"I'm glad you came back," he says to Alexander, before looking quizzically at you two. "Are you all together?"

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we're together," says Jacqueline. "I'm Jacqueline Johnson, a friend of Alexander's mother. We're hoping you can help, Pastor."

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:09 pm
by SunlessNick
"I advised Alexander to seek the help of a doctor for his nightmares and sleepwalking. I realise such a recommendation may be unexpected from a man in my profession, but we must consider the explanations of this world alongside that of the next. Unless there is more..."

"I didn't tell him about the numbers," Alexander says to the group as a whole.

"What numbers?" the pastor asks.

"I write numbers down when I'm blacked out. Equations, Mr Lammons called them."

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You should see them for yourself," says Jacqueline. "They're so complicated no child can understand them, but he wrote them."

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:23 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis doesn't see much point to this conversation, but he asks one question.

"Have any others of the congregation ever mentioned anything like this before?"

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:30 am
by SunlessNick
"Obviously I cannot speak freely of what others have confided in me, but I think I can fairly say I know of no others with troubles like Alexander's. I was about to leave for home, so I can take the time to see these equations."

Back at the shed, he looks over the painted equations, and admits that he cannot make head or tail of them. "But if they are genuine equations, and not randomly written - I defer to your expertise on that, Mr Lammons - then I admit there may be more to this than simple somnambulism. Alexander, tell me about this man again, if you would."

Alexander repeats the information he has given you.

The pastor thinks for a moment and says, "I know I am asking a difficult question, but where did your family come from before living in Harlem?"

"When he said my family was his..." Alexander hesitates. "You don't think he meant..." He tails off again.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"A white man dressed in the style of the last century?" says Jacqueline. "I think that's exactly what he meant. Did he have a Southern accent?"

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:11 am
by SunlessNick
"Yes..."

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:27 am
by HoneyDog
“So,” says Ellis, thinking through the implications, “he really could be, a er… relative.”

He pauses.

“We need to know more about your family history, Alexander he says quietly.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, and the best way to learn that is to ask members of your family if you don't know it yourself," says Jacqueline. "It's good to know where you come from anyway, and if we can identify this man and learn more about him, that will help us break his hold. Our families have backgrounds involving it too. My grandmother is old enough she was born a slave. She was emancipated when she was a little girl."

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:40 am
by SunlessNick
"Then I suppose I must go home after all," Alexander says.

The Covingtons' apartment building is also the Valley, so it's not a long walk to get there. Still, it's getting toward evening now, so Charlotte, James, Mary and Judith are all home from their various workplaces. Your arrival is greeted with tearful thanks from all, hugs for Alexander, an invitation for the two of you to share dinner, and questions from Charlotte about what happened.

Meanwhile the pastor promises to speak to some of his colleagues for advice about cases of spiritual possession.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, CC, I'd be delighted to stay for dinner," says Jacqueline. "I'm not due to perform until later tonight. I think we'd better let Alexander Junior explain what happened."

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:13 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis is also happy to stay for dinner, not being a particularly good cook himself.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:20 am
by SunlessNick
Alexander waits until after dinner - and time for Charlotte to send the children to their rooms - before relating to her everything he told you. The only thing he leaves out is that James dreamed of the white man too. He ends with the question you asked.

Charlotte takes a long breath. "Your father and I hoped we would never have to tell you this. It's... it's true. Your grandfather was born as a slave in Lousiana, and his father was his mother's... owner. It's where the Covington name came from from. Alexander" - presumably she means Alexander Senior here - " was so ashamed of it when he told me, but we could never afford the fees to get it changed. But he was a good man, so I said we should make it a good name. Our name, not that of a dead monster."

"But he's not dead," Alexander replies. "Or he is and he's trying to come back."

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"He seems to know a lot about advanced math too," says Jacqueline. "Even Mr. Lammons is going to have to consult with an expert on those equations. Where in Louisiana did the Covingtons live? Anything we can learn about the man and his background could help us defeat him."

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:17 am
by SunlessNick
"The north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, I think... the nearest big town was Madisonville. Alexander's father was thirty when he was born... sorry, I meant my husband Alexander, his father was thirty. So he would have been born around 1860 or so, maybe a few years earlier. I never knew him, I'm afraid. He died just before Alexander and I met. It's why he came to New York."

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sure there will be records," says Jacqueline, "but it would be an awful long way to go, and I wouldn't want to set foot down there. Let's see what we can find out here in New York before we consider that."

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:42 pm
by HoneyDog
"Do you know anything about this owner, Covington? His history, his character? You described him as a monster. Why is that?"

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:27 am
by SunlessNick
"His name began with A, but I don't remember exactly. Alexander's father told him the slaves used to say he worshipped the Devil."

"Is Hell where he is now, then?" Alexander Junior says. "Is that where he's trying to come back from."

Charlotte shakes her head. "It's an easy thing to think about a slave owner. He was as cruel as a monster, and he didn't need anything else to make him one."

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Are there any other members of Alexander Senior's family still around who might remember more?" asks Jacqueline.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:11 pm
by SunlessNick
"He had an uncle. I think I still have some letters from him, which would have his address. I'll have to hunt around a bit to find them." She goes into her room briefly.
OOC,Charlotte's Spot Hidden: 25 Rolled 1D100: 63
"I'm sorry," she says when she reemerges. "It's going to take me a while to go through everything. I'll let you know as soon as I find them."

"The public records office in Louisiana must have a telephone," Alexander Junior suggests. (Although it would likely not be open until Monday).

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that's a great idea," says Jacqueline. "They probably won't be open until Monday, of course. Not only could we get the information faster and without a possibly dangerous trip down South, but the another good thing about the telephone is that they can't see the color of our skin."

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:45 am
by SunlessNick
It's close to the time that JJ will have to head back to Jungle Alley for her scheduled performance (this one at the Savannah Club).

Alexander Junior would still like to stay with Ellis if that is possible, as he remains afraid of staying with his family. It's up to Ellis whether he wants to attend JJ's performance or head home to settle Alexander in.

Charlotte promises to keep looking for the letters from Alexander Senior's uncle.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:49 am
by HoneyDog
"Come home with me, Alexander" says Ellis. "We'll both go to work tomorrow. Hopefully I will hear from Dr. Imes, and find something more about those equations."

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I need to go to the Savannah Club soon for tonight's performance," says Jacqueline. "Gotta earn the money to pay the rent and the bills. Good thing it's something I enjoy doing."

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:11 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:"Come home with me, Alexander" says Ellis. "We'll both go to work tomorrow. Hopefully I will hear from Dr. Imes, and find something more about those equations."
Charlotte thanks you for looking after her son, while Alexander fetches a change of clothes.

Once at your home, he proves a respecful house guest, and the rest of the evening passes without incident.
OOC,Ellis's Listen: 20. Rolled 1D100: 16.
However, during the night you are awakened by what sounds like someone creeping past your room.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:22 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"I need to go to the Savannah Club soon for tonight's performance," says Jacqueline. "Gotta earn the money to pay the rent and the bills. Good thing it's something I enjoy doing."
There are three acts tonight at the Savannah Club. The first, which is just coming to an end as you arrive is from a conjurer named Washington Hughes.
OOC,JJ's Singing: 65 Rolled 1D100 3 times: 83,58, 25
Your own act gets off to a rough start - maybe because of Alexander's problems intruding on your mind - but you quickly get back into the swing of things, and by the end you're eliciting cheers (and catcalls) from the mostly white clientele.

There are many clubs who would shove you out of the back door as soon as you were done - the Savannah still want you to leave by the back door, but they will let you stay and watch the third act if you want to - a horn player named Walter Locke, playing something he calls the "Heart Music." Alternatively, you discover that Washington Hughes has also stayed behind, and offers to escort you home should you need it.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," Jacqueline says to Washington Hughes. "I would like a walk home when I'm ready to leave, but first I'd like to stick around and listen to Walter Locke play the horn if that's okay with you."

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:31 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis awakes with a start.

“Oh shit, he’s going to write all over the walls!” he thinks to himself, and quickly climbs out of bed and opens the door.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:26 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"Thank you," Jacqueline says to Washington Hughes. "I would like a walk home when I'm ready to leave, but first I'd like to stick around and listen to Walter Locke play the horn if that's okay with you."
Hughes is happy to stay and do that.

Walter Locke's music turns out not to be jazz, or like anything you've ever heard before. The notes are long and sweeping, yet still somehow fast-paced - they feel somehow huge within your mind - it's hard to pay attention to anything but the sound, and yet a moment later it's hard to remember what you heard in the face of the next piece of melody. The crowd seem to be similarly spellbound, although it's hard to focus on them, or anyone - you keep getting double vision as if there are more people gathered than there should be.

When the piece ends, it's greeted by neither applause nor derision, but simply silence. Locke looks satisfied however. The staff are less so, and with the act finish, decide it's time to bundle the three of you out.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:28 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:“Oh shit, he’s going to write all over the walls!” he thinks to himself, and quickly climbs out of bed and opens the door.
Alexander is walking down the hallway. As he hears the door open he turns - his expression is very different from the boy you met earlier. "And who might you be, boy?" he asks, injecting bottomless contempt into the last word.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:12 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis’ mouth opens as he realizes who Alexander is.

“It must be some kind of schizophrenia” he thinks.

“I’m here to help you, master” he says, thinking that it’s pointless trying to appeal to the personality inside Alexander as an equal.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline heads out the back door with the other performers. "I've never heard anything like that music before, Mr. Locke," she says. "What's your inspiration for it?"

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:47 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:“It must be some kind of schizophrenia” he thinks.

“I’m here to help you, master” he says, thinking that it’s pointless trying to appeal to the personality inside Alexander as an equal.
"Alexander" seems surprised as your answer, but pleased. "Finally," he mutters. In a more normal tone, he says, "I require a large empty room. Clear one for me."

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:51 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:Jacqueline heads out the back door with the other performers. "I've never heard anything like that music before, Mr. Locke," she says. "What's your inspiration for it?"
"I tried to come up with a style I'd never heard," he says. "So I suppose everything I've heard was an inspiration."
OOC,Jacqueline's Psychology: 55% Rolled 1D100: 50
You don't think he's telling the truth.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"But there must have been something in particular," says Jacqueline with a smile. "You can tell me. I won't let anyone else know. It'll be our secret."

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:28 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Is it possible in Ellis' apartment?

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:19 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"But there must have been something in particular," says Jacqueline with a smile. "You can tell me. I won't let anyone else know. It'll be our secret."
Disarmed, he says "I found something written for the viol, and it occured to me that music of that kind would be a unique experience coming from the horn."

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:23 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,Is it possible in Ellis' apartment?
OOC,Not really - the contents of most of the rooms wouldn't leave enough space to get around in the rest of the apartment. The only exception is the guest room Alexander was sleeping in, which just has a bed and wardrobe, though it would take two people to move the latter.
"Alexander" asks whose home this is.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's clever," says Jacqueline. "I never thought about playing music meant for one instrument on another. But of course jazz is all about innovation and improvisation."

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:23 pm
by HoneyDog
"I'm afraid we don't have such a room" Ellis says carefully. "This isn't my property. May I ask what the room is needed for?"

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:15 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"That's clever," says Jacqueline. "I never thought about playing music meant for one instrument on another. But of course jazz is all about innovation and improvisation."
"My next performance is at A'Lelia Walker's place next Saturday," he says. "Perhaps I'll see you there? But for now I have to get home." He hurries off.

[A'Lelia Walker is of Harlem's most inspiring success stories. She is president of a manufacturing family founded by her late mother, and a millionaire, one of the first among either blacks or women. She is a notable patron of the Renaissance, sponsoring artists in all fields, and hosting regular salons at her house on the Golden Edge overlooking Central Park]

Once Locke has left, Washington Hughes escorts Jacqueline home. Along the way saying, "An evasive fellow isn't he?"

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:28 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:"I'm afraid we don't have such a room" Ellis says carefully. "This isn't my property. May I ask what the room is needed for?"
'Alexander' takes a deep breath. "Then whose?" he asks - "No, I suppose it is of no matter. I can still use that benighted shack if I must. But you might still be of help to me. Come." He turns in the direction of your front door, obviously assuming you will follow.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"He sure is," says Jacqueline. "Still, I was at least able to get him to open up a little. I'm sorry I missed most of your act. I'll have to catch it sometime."

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:08 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis quickly throws on his coat over his pajamas, and hurries after Alexander.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:01 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"He sure is," says Jacqueline. "Still, I was at least able to get him to open up a little. I'm sorry I missed most of your act. I'll have to catch it sometime."
"I usually perform at the Loa Club," he says, a trace of the Caribbean creeping into his accent, although I call myself Dr Saturday when I'm there. "Where is your next, so I can return the favour?"

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:05 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:Ellis quickly throws on his coat over his pajamas, and hurries after Alexander.
He leaves your apartment and heads downstairs to the street. Once outside he hesitates, as if unsure of his way, but quickly sets off in the direction of St Nicholas's Park, where the shed is. Now he's on the move, you can see that his manner of walking is slightly awkward, as if he's constantly having to adjust his movements.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:06 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis follows.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Where is my next performance?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:30 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Where is my next performance?
OOC,Wednesday night at the Barbary Club,unless you have a preference otherwise.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:37 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:Ellis follows.
Sure enough he makes his way back to the gardening shed in the park - once or twice he has to pause before making a turning - and once he flinches when a car goes past. Once he arrives, he inspects the equations written on the wall. "I have been trying to solve this," he says, "but it has eluded me. But there is enough here to try another way - but I need another pair of hands." He picks up a pair of shears from the few scattered tools at the end of shed, testing their edges and points.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"My next show is on Wednesday night at the Barbary Club," says Jacqueline. "Dr. Saturday? Is that based on Baron Samedi from Voodoo?" She knows enough French to know the days of the week.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:13 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis eyes the shears warily, conscious to stay out of reach.

“May I ask what you are attempting, master?”

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:21 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:“May I ask what you are attempting, master?”
"This boy's blood carries my own. I can use it to make up the shortfall in these," he says gesturing at the equations on the walls. "But these are too blunt to use myself. However, you could." His tone is entirely matter-of-fact despite what he appears to be asking of you.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:24 am
by HoneyDog
“Uh-oh” thinks Ellis, his heart beginning to race.

“Of course, master” he says. “may I ask what the equations are for?”

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:03 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"My next show is on Wednesday night at the Barbary Club," says Jacqueline. "Dr. Saturday? Is that based on Baron Samedi from Voodoo?" She knows enough French to know the days of the week.
"It is," he says in delighted tone. "I am not myself a practitioner, but I believe in its power to raise up the spirit. If I can do my part and entertain at the same time... well, I am sure you share that sentiment yourself."

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:16 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:“Of course, master” he says. “may I ask what the equations are for?”
He opens his mouth, then - in a process you have seen enough times in misbehaving children to be obvious to you - alters what he says from what it was about to be. "A relative of mine is trapped. Where he is trapped is hard to explain - not Hell or Heaven - these equations are supposed to describe the route between here and there, but I can't get them right. I want to save him, but I fear it will take some of my blood to accomplish. That is where I need you - these are too blunt and large for me to use on myself."

[Looking at the shears, the physical side of what he's saying makes sense - it would be hard for a person to get sufficient leverage to pierce their own skin]
OOC,Ellis's psychology: 10 Rolled 1D100, w/bonus die: 05
He's dropped his previous arrogance from his tone, but you can still see it in his face.

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, indeed," says Jacqueline with a smile. "Tell me, do you know any practitioners?"

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:20 pm
by HoneyDog
"I understand, master".

Ellis bows his head, positioning himself directly in front of Alexander, holding out his hands for the shears.
OOC,Ellis will put himself as close as possible to Alexander in order to kick him in the groin, hoping to break him out of this spell. In case it needs a roll, Brawl is 45: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/875122]Brawl[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]26[/b]

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:09 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"Oh, indeed," says Jacqueline with a smile. "Tell me, do you know any practitioners?"
"Ah, you wish to unravel every man's mysteries do you? I suppose it is a beautiful woman's prerogative. I do indeed know a few practitioners, and I can introduce you if you are interested."

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:14 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:Ellis bows his head, positioning himself directly in front of Alexander, holding out his hands for the shears.
OOC,Ellis will put himself as close as possible to Alexander in order to kick him in the groin, hoping to break him out of this spell. In case it needs a roll, Brawl is 45: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/875122]Brawl[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]26[/b]
Alexander eyes briefly cross and he staggers back. Ellis's strategem seems to have been successful as his expression returns to his normal self. "What- where- We're back here. Did I walk back here, sir? And you followed me?" Oddly, he doesn't appear to be in any pain from the kick.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Jacqueline. "I would like that."

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:07 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis looks at Alexander closely.

"You ancestor was in you. He took control of your body. He said that your blood would help to finish the procedure which would bring him here. I thought that you might be having a schizophrenic attack, but then I remembered that your brother also dreamed about this man. I don't think he's going to stop - we need to find a way to stop him."

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:33 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"Thank you," says Jacqueline. "I would like that."
"Then I will put it to them. We will have to attend each other's shows on Wednesday so that I can give you their answer." [While you and he are both performing on the same day, his performance is earlier than yours - he suggests you come to his, then he can walk you to yours while you discuss it]

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:34 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:Ellis looks at Alexander closely.

"You ancestor was in you. He took control of your body. He said that your blood would help to finish the procedure which would bring him here. I thought that you might be having a schizophrenic attack, but then I remembered that your brother also dreamed about this man. I don't think he's going to stop - we need to find a way to stop him."
"My blood? Thankyou for stopping him, sir. Did he... say anything that gave you a clue?"

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I look forward to it," says Jacqueline.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:10 am
by HoneyDog
"The equations are supposedly describing the route from wherever he is, to here, but he can't get them right" Ellis replies.

"Something is bugging me - they way he spoke. He spoke like he was you, talking about "my blood", "my relative". But it wasn't you. If he's not talking about freeing himself, is there someone else?"

He is suddenly very tired.

"Come on, let's go home."

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:23 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:"I look forward to it," says Jacqueline.
The rest of the walk home passes smoothly, and Washington bids you good night, adding that he looks forward to seeing you on Wednesday.

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:27 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:"Something is bugging me - they way he spoke. He spoke like he was you, talking about "my blood", "my relative". But it wasn't you. If he's not talking about freeing himself, is there someone else?"
"He's said nothing about anyone else to me. Maybe he wanted you to think he was still me?"
HoneyDog wrote:He is suddenly very tired.

"Come on, let's go home."
"Yes, sir." He registers what you're wearing, and adds "You must be freezing."

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:32 am
by SunlessNick
Sunday passes with neither opportunity to investigate further, nor any incident with Alexander. On Monday, Ellis and Jacqueline can put their plans into motion, while Alexander returns to Colonial Ice and Coal in an attempt to repair his standing there.

Ellis is teaching in the morning, but free from lunchtime onwards. While at school he receives the telephone call he requested from Dr Imes.

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd like to place a long-distance call to Louisiana in the morning to find out if there are any records about [b]Covington[/b]. I was thinking I could call Tulane University's History department and say I'm doing genealogical research into a friend's ancestors, which is true.

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:01 pm
by HoneyDog
“Dr. Imes!” Ellis explains. “I’m so glad to hear from you. I’m Ellis Lammons and I teach math at Mott Hall High. I would really appreciate just a little of your time if you’re able to see me. I have a math problem involving vector calculations. These equations were developed by one of my students, and they are like nothing I’ve ever seen before. I really need some help understanding them.”

Ellis is sure that the Professor has a curious mind, and hopes to get his attention.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:32 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:“Dr. Imes!” Ellis explains. “I’m so glad to hear from you. I’m Ellis Lammons and I teach math at Mott Hall High. I would really appreciate just a little of your time if you’re able to see me. I have a math problem involving vector calculations. These equations were developed by one of my students, and they are like nothing I’ve ever seen before. I really need some help understanding them.”

Ellis is sure that the Professor has a curious mind, and hopes to get his attention.
"One of your students you say? I would be very intereted in taking a look at that if they are remarkable as you say. I can extend my lunch hour a little and meet you around two O'Clock perhaps? Where would be convenient for you?"

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:49 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I've no idea, whatever is easiest for both men.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:54 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,I'd like to place a long-distance call to Louisiana in the morning to find out if there are any records about [b]Covington[/b]. I was thinking I could call Tulane University's History department and say I'm doing genealogical research into a friend's ancestors, which is true.
OOC,Good call. If anyone can discern your race from your accent, they're less likely to fob you off over a project like that. Luck roll: 50
You're put through to a Dr Taylor, who sounds very youthful over the phone, and seems to greet the prospect of geneological research with enthusiam. It takes a few calls back and forth over the course of the morning, but with the details you supply, he is able to confirm the existence of a Harlen Covington (it looks like CC was mistaken about his name beginning with A) who owned a plantation called Les Trois Lacs (the Three Lakes, though Dr Taylor opines they were probably ponds) near Madison in Louisiana. He was born in 1816 and died shortly after the Civil War - by which point he seems to have been the last of his family - Dr Taylor can't immediately discover the cause of death, and suspects that during the chaos of the period, that may not be possible. The plantation didn't survive intact, and broken up to be sold to carpetbaggers from the North (as he puts it).

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:55 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,I've no idea, whatever is easiest for both men.
OOC,There are enough cafes in New York that you can find one midway between Harlem and the University, which you can both easily reach in the time you have.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:02 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis sets off with his notebook to meet Dr. Imes.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Dr. Taylor," says Jacqueline, "you've been a great help." After she gets off the phone, she arranges to meet Ellis for lunch and fill him in on what she's learned.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:50 am
by SunlessNick
Jacqueline and Ellis are able to fill each other on what they've learned - there's time for Jacqueline to make it to the cafe where Ellis is meeting with Dr Imes, if you wish.

Dr Imes is a sturdy looking man, with a kind of unobtrusive dignity about him. He wears glasses, and you glimpse a pipe case in his inner pocket when he extends his hand for Ellis. (If JJ is there he bows to her rather than shaking her hand).

"Let's see what you have to show me," he says once he's settled into his seat and ordered.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline goes with Ellis to the cafe and introduces herself to Dr. Imes. While she's well-educated, she doesn't know as much about math as Ellis, so she lets him explain it to the professor.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:27 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis shows Imes his notebook with the equations, waiting to hear what the physician will say.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:02 am
by SunlessNick
Dr Imes studies the notes for a while, noting what the various versions of the equations have in common, and where they differ. Finally he indicates several clusters of differing numbers and says, "I think these variables are meant to be quaternion numbers, but your student has neglected to account for non-commutative multiplication."
OOC,Ellis's Mathematics: 70. Rolling 1D100 with penalty die: 74
Ellis has heard the term quaterion, though a few words serve to remind him - until recently, such numbers have only ever been a theoretical curiosity in pure mathematics, and well beyond anything he would be dealing with in his job. He and Dr Imes are able to explain them to Jacqueline.

Briefly: Quaternion numbers are an extension of the concept of complex numbers to four components instead of two. Where a complex number is a+bi, where i is the square root of -1, a quaterian is a+bi+cj+dk - where i, j, and k are all square roots of -1. However when multiplied among themselves, they don't follow the usual rule of algebra where two numbers multiplied together have the same product regardless of which is being multiplied by which - ij=k, jk=i, and ki=j - but ji=-k, kj=-i, and ik=-j. It's this last bit that Dr Imes says has been missed, and why the equations' creators have failed to solve them.

Dr Imes adds that quaternion numbers can be used to describe complicated three dimensional rotations, and that it's been shown in his own field that they can be used to describe the spin on elementary particles.

"For a high school student to be working at such a level," he says. "That is remarkable. Prodigious, even. Would he be willing to come to the university?"
OOC,Rolling Ellis's mathematics again: 13
With this detail accounted for, the equations are just regular algebra, if lengthy - it might take a bit of time, but they're well within Ellis's ability to solve.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:15 am
by HoneyDog
“I don’t think so” says Ellis uneasily. He decides to be partially truthful.

“You see, Doctor, this student, well, he seems to have some kind of split personality. This other personality comes out while he sleeps, and writes these equations. He seems to think they are a route or guide of some kind.”

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:32 am
by SunlessNick
"I see. Have you... No, my apologies, you know how best to care for your student. A route... I would posit that these describe the rotation of a three dimensional object, but in a four dimensional space - or else spacetime - it is hard to be certain without a longer examination. Your student, consciously or unconsciously, seems to be trying to solve the equations for a particular alignment, though I fear I am at a loss as to its significance compared to any other."

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:02 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis thinks he can start to make headway with the equations now.

“I’m going to try to puzzle these out. It should help him. Thanks so much for your help, Doctor. It was a pleasure and I hope I get the opportunity to talk with you again.”

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you, Dr. Imes," says Jacqueline. "It's been very enlightening. You've helped me understand something that seems complex in terms with which I'm familiar."
OOC,I've studied a lot of math, and I knew about imaginary and complex numbers, but I'd never heard of quaternion numbers before.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:46 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:“I’m going to try to puzzle these out. It should help him. Thanks so much for your help, Doctor. It was a pleasure and I hope I get the opportunity to talk with you again.”
Mr. Handy wrote:"Yes, thank you, Dr. Imes," says Jacqueline. "It's been very enlightening. You've helped me understand something that seems complex in terms with which I'm familiar."
OOC,I've studied a lot of math, and I knew about imaginary and complex numbers, but I'd never heard of quaternion numbers before.
"Indeed, a pleasure to meet you both. I would welcome hearing how things turn out." He insists on paying the bill before he departs.
OOC,If one of the Investigators wasn't a maths teacher I probably wouldn't have thought of using them explicitly, but I'm glad I did.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:18 am
by HoneyDog
“I’d better get back to school” says Ellis, but he quickly informs Jacqueline about the events of the previous night.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have an opportunity to meet a Voodoo practitioner Wednesday night," says Jacqueline. "I don't know if it'll help, but it's worth a try. We need all the help we can get."

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:09 am
by HoneyDog
"Sure" says Ellis. "I don't really know what to do. But I'll get to work on these equations after school finishes."

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:48 am
by SunlessNick
The immediate question is how much to tell Alexander of what you've discovered. There's no real way to gaugue how much of it would be known to the other personality if it emerges again.

----

The rest of Ellis's school day passes in something of a blur. Once at home for the evening, Alexander tentatively suggests tying him to the bed while he sleeps, so that he can't go walking again (especially if he's going to try hurting himself while he does).
OOC,Ellis's Mathematics: 70. Rolled 1D100: 50.
The evening's work on the equations goes well enough, but it will probably take another day to solve them fully. However one thing does become apparent at this stage: the final stage of the calculation involves a product of the three unreal terms of a quarternion number, the i, j, and k parts. ijk = -1, but given the noncommutative aspect to their multiplication that Dr Imes revealed, you can get a second real number solution out of them: kji = 1.

----

During Monday evening, Jacqueline gets a knock at her door. It's Judith Covington, bearing a couple of letters from Alexander Senior's uncle that CC has managed to find. They don't mention anything about Harlen Covington, but they do contain his current address in New Orleans.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Jacqueline, accepting the letters. "I think these will help. At the very least I can write him a letter asking him what he remembers about Harlen Covington, though it will take some time to get a reply."

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:13 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis is pleased at his progress. He agrees to Alexander's suggestion - he's worried that the young man might hurt himself, and the other personality is likely to be more antagonistic now.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:35 am
by SunlessNick
Monday night...
Jacqueline,You find yourself tossing and turning, and waking frequently during the night. You have a sense of having had bad dreams, but the images fade quickly. Once or twice you find yourself humming what you think is Walter Locke's "Heart Music," but as soon as you become conscious of it, the memory of the notes slips away as quickly as it did on the night he performed.
Ellis,You are awakened once in the night by sounds from Alexander's room. It seems to be the other personality struggling, but the bonds hold - you hear a stream of racist invective that confirms your suspicion that he will be more of an enemy now.
In the morning, Ellis has to teach, while Alexander has to do a round of ice deliveries. I presume Jacqueline will be writing the letter to Alexander Senior's uncle (what do you plan to ask him?).

At lunchtime, you can all meet. Alexander says that nothing untoward happened during his rounds.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline explains in the letter that she is a friend of Charlotte Covington and asks for any details he knows about Harlen Covington, specifically asking if he ever displayed an interest in or knowledge about advanced mathematics.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:14 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis announces his intention to keep working on the equations, and hopefully he'll have some answer tonight.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:17 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:Ellis announces his intention to keep working on the equations, and hopefully he'll have some answer tonight.
OOC,Ellis's Mathematics: 70. Rolled 1D100: 64.
Ellis finishes the equation late on Tuesday afternoon. As he had gleaned over the course of his study, and in keeping with Dr Imes's theory, it proves to be a rotational vector describing the alignment of a three dimensional object in a four dimensional space - he has calculated the correct alignment, though the question remains of what it should be applied to. And as he realised the day before, he has two solutions, one the diamtetric opposite of the other.

It's now early Tuesday evening - are you meeting up or waiting until Jacqueline has had news about meeting the Voodoo practitioner?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I think we'd still meet up, at least to fill each other in on what we've done and learned.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:47 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Is it necessary to play a meeting? There isn't much new information. We could just meet again when it's time to see the voodoo guy.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:32 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,Is it necessary to play a meeting? There isn't much new information. We could just meet again when it's time to see the voodoo guy.
OOC,Fair enough.
On Wednesday Night, Ellis and Alexander attend Washington Hughes's conjure at the Loa Club, along with Jacqueline. Unlike many clubs, this one allows somewhat mixed audiences, although the spaces for black and white are segregated, and separated by a bamboo rail. True to his stage name of Dr Saturday, Washington incorporates much Voodoo imagery into his conjuring act - this goes over very well with the white patrons, but the reaction of the black audience is mixed - some are enthusiastic, while others seem to find it disrespectful, although none of them heckle.

After his act, Washington was to walk Jacqueline to the Barbary club for her own act. He seems a little disappointed at two other men being present, but is amenable to you all walking together - it's not far, anyway.
"As you asked, I have a arranged for a meeting with a practitioner," he says as you go. "I am pleased to say he will be in attendance at Miss Johnson's performance and you can speak to him afterward."

The Barbary club caters to whites, so you aren't allowed on the main floor. However, the Reyes family have installed a backstage audience box, where friends and family of performers can watch them, and surruptitiously be served by the bar staff. Once Jacqueline is on stage, he says to Ellis, "Are you a good friend of Miss Johnson?"

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:39 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis suspects that the man has intentions on Jacqueline, but doesn’t know how she feels about it, so he decides for honesty.

“I’ve only known her a couple of days” he admits.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:27 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:Ellis suspects that the man has intentions on Jacqueline, but doesn’t know how she feels about it, so he decides for honesty.

“I’ve only known her a couple of days” he admits.
"I see," he says. "Your business together must be quite important, if you come here with an acquaintance. May I take it that this request to meet with a Voudunista is not entirely a matter of idle curiosity?"

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:02 am
by HoneyDog
“We’re looking for help with something” Ellis admits.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline gives a good performance, especially knowing that the one they came to meet is in the audience and wanting to make a good impression.
OOC,Art/Craft(Singing) roll (65% skill) performing at the Barbary Club: 0

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:23 pm
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:“We’re looking for help with something” Ellis admits.
"Thankyou," Hughes replies, in a pleased tone.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:29 pm
by SunlessNick
When Jacqueline's act is finished, Hughes leads her, Ellis and Alexander to an old, but still well-built man at the back of the audience box. "This is my father," he says. "Father, this the girl I told you about, Miss Johnson. She came with friends too."

The old man extends a hand, midway between Jacqueline and Ellis, and says in a thick Caribberan accent, "A pleasure to meet you. Isiah Hughes. Since it's three of you, I presume you wish to see me over something troublesome."

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:33 am
by HoneyDog
"Why don't you explain the situation?" Ellis asks Alexander.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for coming here," says Jacqueline, shaking Isiah's hand.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:49 am
by SunlessNick
Alexander relates the situation: the man in his dreams speaking to him, his sleepwalking, his writing the equations, and that the two of you are helping him. Once he's finished, Isiah says, "Washington, could you wait with the lad by the fire door for a few minutes while I walk with these two in private." It's not really a question, and Washington leads Alexander off.

Turning to Ellis, Isiah says, "Mathematics goes over my head. Not an easy thing for a conjure-man to admit, but at my age pretension is just that. But you have them figured out, yes?"

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:22 am
by HoneyDog
"Possibly" says Ellis. He explains what he has found.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"We consulted with a professor who's even better with mathematics," says Jacqueline, "though my friend here is quite advanced with the subject as well. We need your assistance with the more spiritual aspects of this."

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:17 pm
by SunlessNick
Isiah listens attentively to Ellis's explanation of the equations. "It seems to me you have the solution in your hand. This evil ghost is trying to return to this world, but the door is only half open, and it seems these numbers are his way of opening it fully. But you, Mr Lammons, have found both that solution and its opposite. A door which can be opened can also be closed, if you can fool him."

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:12 pm
by Mr. Handy

"But can we be sure which is which?" asks Jacqueline.

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:12 am
by SunlessNick
Ellis,Between the attempted solutions by the other personality that you've recorded, and the mistake he made about non-commutative multiplication, you can at least be certain which of your two solutions he was homing in on.

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:37 am
by HoneyDog
"But what's to stop him from trying again?" asks Ellis. "And he might just transfer his attention to someone else, like Alexander's younger brother."

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:10 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:"But what's to stop him from trying again?" asks Ellis. "And he might just transfer his attention to someone else, like Alexander's younger brother."
"That is a question which implies another. Why has he not tried before now? What has changed to give him this chance? Is there anything else you have observed?"

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:13 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis shrugs.

“I just assumed it was the first time. Maybe he needed to acquire the knowledge or power from somewhere in order to make the attempt.”

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"That is a good question," says Jacqueline. "I did some background research on him. I know he needs a blood descendant, but he had no legitimate heirs. His only known descendants are Alexander Senior's family. The man's been dead for about sixty years, so why would he wait until now? Or did he? Maybe he tried before. Or maybe he only recently found out about his descendants."

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:42 am
by SunlessNick
"Both good answers," Isiah says. "I can attempt to craft wards for him and his brother, but I will need help from the two of you, since it is you who have come to stand as his protectors."

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:55 am
by HoneyDog
"Of course" says Ellis. "What do you need?"

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll be glad to help too," says Jacqueline. "What do we need to do?"

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:16 am
by SunlessNick
"I will need a few hairs from Alexander for his ward, and the same from his brother. That is to represent them, of course. Both will also need a hair from each of you, to represent protection in this world. I will add ingredients to represent protection in the next. However, when I begin working on them, the ghost will likely sense what I am doing. So I will also need you to stand guard - do what you can to prevent him from interfering - this too will lend weight to the ward's protection."

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:12 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis nods.

"When do we begin?"

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline plucks two of her lovely hairs and hands them over. "I'm ready when you are," she says. "How do we prevent him from interfering? By talking to him? By praying? How do we stop a ghost?"

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:02 am
by SunlessNick
Isiah takes the hairs with thanks.

"From what you've said, he will most likely try to take control of Alexander or his brother. Beyond that... prayer, trying to reach them so they can resist him, or simply distracting him. In any case, Alexander's bother must also be present before I can begin."

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that makes sense," says Jacqueline. "Alexander's brother would be at home now, unless he's already taken control of him. I think we should head over there now and do this tonight. We've already told his mother what happened, and I think she'd be open to any help you can provide."

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:53 am
by HoneyDog
"Yes" says Ellis. "Let's return there now."

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:30 am
by SunlessNick
"Very well," Isiah says. He stands up, revealing that he walks with a cane, and signals to Washington and Alexander to rejoin them. It being Alexander's house you're heading to, he leads the way. Washington gives every indication of wanting to talk to Jacqueline, but restrains himself, given the nature of the present mission. It's very late by the time you reach the Covingtons' apartment block, but you can see from outside that the lights are on.

In response, Alexander runs up the stairs to his mother's door. By the time you catch up, it's open and both mother and son are standing anxiously in the doorway.

"It's James," Charlotte says as you approach. "He's..."

She tails off, though you can hear the sounds of rummaging inside, and Jame's voice saying "Where are you? I need more paper!"

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"We've found someone who can help," says Jacqueline, letting her in on what they discussed. "We're going to need a few of his hairs, but his...ancestor will try to stop us once he realizes what we're trying to do. We can try to bring James back to himself through prayer and by talking to him, reminding him of who he is and how much we love him."

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:04 am
by HoneyDog
"I have a way to bring him out of it" Ellis says. "A sharp shock will wake him up."

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:46 am
by SunlessNick
Charlotte says to Jacqueline, "The girls are with a neighbour. As soon as he got like this..."

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:27 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I was thinking of having Alexander or someone else approach James, as the spirit would recognise Ellis. It would be better to surprise him.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good thinking," says Jacqueline. "If we approach James and try to get through to him, we may be able to bring him back to himself."

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:06 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,I was thinking of having Alexander or someone else approach James, as the spirit would recognise Ellis. It would be better to surprise him.
OOC,Sorry, I jumped the gun. I've scratched my last post.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:12 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote:"I have a way to bring him out of it" Ellis says. "A sharp shock will wake him up."
Mr. Handy wrote:"Good thinking," says Jacqueline. "If we approach James and try to get through to him, we may be able to bring him back to himself."
"I'll try," Alexander says. "If I can't make him leave, maybe I can make him go into me instead."

He goes into the apartment. You hear low voices, followed by the sound of flesh hitting flesh. Then low voices again. Then Alexander saying, "It's safe."

Isiah is reaching the top of the stairs, helped by Washington.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:51 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis enters, hoping that James is safe.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline also ventures into the room.

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:25 am
by SunlessNick
Alexander and James are both within, picking up some sheets of paper from where they were strewn about.

"I'm sorry, Momma," James says, rubbing his cheek.
"It's all right," Charlotte says. "JJ and Mr Lammons have brought someone who can help."

Washington and Isiah make it to the door and introduce themselves. Isiah asks for a couple of hairs from Alexander and James, and for Charlotte to fetch a blanket, while Washington clears the table. He spreads the blanket on the table, and carefully lays down the hairs - including yours - on small pieces of cloth he takes from his pocket. He then removes a small bag, and starts pouring what looks like cornmeal into designs.

"Washington, would you take Mrs Covington outside please? Only the boys and their protectors should be here."

Charlotte starts to object, but relents and after kissing her sons allows herself to be led outside.

"Now we can get started," Isiah says. "You can all sit down. No need for joining hands or anything like that."
OOC,Unexplained 1D100 roll: 43.
He starts to trace his fingers next to the cornmeal designs, reciting something under his breath.

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline takes a seat at the table and observes the ritual.

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:20 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis sits too, feeling uneasy and apprehensive.

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:49 am
by SunlessNick
Still voicing prayers, Isiah adds a few powders and some cornmeal to the hairs on the small cloths, and begins to wrap them into bundles.
Ellis,Idea: 80 Rolled 1D100: 53 Something's nagging at your mind. When you came in, James was rubbing his cheek, but when you kicked Alexander to break him out of the other personality's trance, he didn't feel any pain once he'd reverted to himself.
Jacqueline,Psychology: 55 Rolled 1D100: 53 Both Alexander and James seem tense, as you'd expect, but James seems more watchful than afraid.

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline is also watchful, ready to act in case the ghost intervenes. She prays for protection for the boys while she observes the proceedings.

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:44 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Ellis will give Alexander a good slap. Should I roll for this? I don't know how much distance is between them, but Ellis will attempt to close the gap without giving his intentions away.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:02 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog,So you mean Alexander or James?
Ellis gets up and walks about a little, presumably to ease his cramp. Neither of the boys pay any mind to him, both intent on Isaiah. Isiah himself glances up briefly, then returns to the cloth bundles.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline remains attentive and continues praying.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:24 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC, I'm sorry, I meant James - late night!

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:32 am
by SunlessNick
Out of nowhere, Ellis delivers a huge slap to James.
OOC, Ellis's Brawl: 45 Rolled 1D100: [redacted]
"What are you-" Alexander burst out, before being interrupted by James: "Where did you come from? ... I'm sorry sir. What's happening?"

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:14 am
by HoneyDog
OOC, Ellis will attempt the same on Alexander, if possible.

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Both of you, remember who you are," says Jacqueline in earnest. "You are Alexander and James. You love each other. Your mother is Charlotte. You love her too, and she loves both of you."

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:10 am
by SunlessNick
Both of you feel a pain in your heads, but sudden come and gone, more of a blow than an ache. Then-
Ellis,You're in a wide, grassy yard outside a large house, the kind bitterly asociated with Southern plantations. You're stripped to the waist, your arms tied above you to a broad wooden frame - Alexander is next to you, similarly restrained. In front of you both is a white man in archaic dress. "Your foolish witchdoctor binds you to my descendants," he says, "but that only allows me to reach into your minds also." Time for your first SAN roll...
Jacqueline,You're in a parlour, the kind you'd imagine from the previous century - and dressed in a maid's uniform. Beside you is James - pushed to his knees by a white man in archaic dress. "Your foolish witchdoctor binds you to my descendants," he says, "but that only allows me to reach into your minds also." Time for your first SAN roll...

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:13 am
by HoneyDog
The sudden realisation of what has happened overwhelms Ellis.
SAN, SAN 50: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/880827]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]52[/b]

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:00 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:08 amThe shock overwhelms Jacqueline.
Jacqueline,Sorry, you lost 6 SAN on a D6. However, you now have 2% Cthulhu Mythos. For a few seconds, all you can do is scream in the face of this monster violating your mind - from his eyes and expression, it's clear why James called him that. James responds by struggling to free himself from Covington's grip, but he's much smaller, and Covington holds onto him. "Now," Covington says. "I need no longer trust your treacherous man friend. Instead I may simply will your bodies to slay these boys, and my return to life will finally be assured."

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:05 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:13 am The sudden realisation of what has happened overwhelms Ellis.
Ellis,You lose 4 SAN on a D6. However, you now have 2% Cthulhu Mythos. You hear a scream from the house, which sounds like Jacqueline. "Now," Covington says. "I need no longer trust in your treachery. Instead I may simply will your bodies to slay these boys, and my return to life will finally be assured." From his eyes and expression, it's clear why James called him a monster. "Let Mr Lammons go!" Alexander pleads. "Let my brother go. You only need me." From the corner of your eyes, the yard and the house flicker - replaced by intricate geometric traceries - some part of you senses your surroundings are an illusion.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nooooo!" screams Jacqueline, tears streaming from her eyes.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:19 am
by HoneyDog
"This isn't real!" shouts Ellis. "He doesn't have any power over us! Boys, concentrate! Free yourselves!"

Ellis tries to imagine his bonds falling away.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:59 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:10 am"Nooooo!" screams Jacqueline, tears streaming from her eyes.
Jacqueline,You hear Ellis shouting from somewhere outside the room, "This isn't real! He doesn't have any power over us! Boys, concentrate! Free yourselves!" James continues strugging, prompting Covington to say "Hold still, you"-followed by a word you know all too well. Looking back at you, he says, "You're walking to get a knife right now. Can you feel it?" But then he looks distracted, as if something he didn't plan for has just happened.

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:06 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:19 am "This isn't real!" shouts Ellis. "He doesn't have any power over us! Boys, concentrate! Free yourselves!"

Ellis tries to imagine his bonds falling away.
OOC,POW 50 and Mathematics 70. Rolled 1D100: 13. Numbers govern this place, and you know numbers.
Ellis,The yard and house dissolve around you, revealing an infinite expanse of blackness, broken here and there with "bundles" of light, in sharp angular geometries - there's no sense of scale, it's impossible to tell how big they are - except that one of them seems to be surrounding you all. Your bonds are gone - instead you're lying on a surface indistinguishable from the surrounding darkness. Alexander, James, and Jacqueline are lying nearby, with Covington standing among you. He seems to be talking to Jacqueline, saying, "You're walking to get a knife right now. Can you feel it?" But then he stops and turns. "How have you...?" he asks

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:53 am
by HoneyDog
“I see through your lies, Covington Ellis tells him. “You took me by surprise, but you’re weak.”

Ellis tries to imagine himself holding a weapon.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:44 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:53 am “I see through your lies, Covington Ellis tells him. “You took me by surprise, but you’re weak.”

Ellis tries to imagine himself holding a weapon.
Nothing appears in response to that effort, though the geometric tracery around you all flares slightly, drawing your eye to follow it. As you do so, you realise this is what the equations were trying to model.

Searching your face, Covington takes a sharp breath. "You know it, don't you. The answer I've been searching for. Give it to me, and I need spill no blood. Give it to me and I'll spare you and your woman."

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:49 am
by SunlessNick
Jacqueline,The bout of madness is over, so you can act normally again. You're still in the parlour, though you can hear Ellis's voice from somewhere - Covington hears it too, and is replying - so you can hear everything from my previous post. It's distracted him from James, who has wriggled free of him and run over to you, clutching at your arm.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline tries to concentrate on breaking free from this illusion with all of her will.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:18 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:51 amJacqueline tries to concentrate on breaking free from this illusion with all of her will.
OOC,POW 65. Rolled 1D100: 01 - that went well.
The parlour vanishes from around you, replaced with a vista of darkness stretching endlessly in every direction - though you are lying on a surface that's solid enough, if invisible - and in your own clothes, instead of the maid uniform. Alexander and James are lying nearby, though Ellis is on his feet, facing Covington who's standing between you. Around all of you are threads of light arranged in odd geometric patterns that ping some kind of recognition at the back of your mind - there are other such traceries in the distance.

Covington is focussed on Ellis, and appears not to have noticed your breaking free.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:19 am
by HoneyDog
“Spare us?” Ellis sneers. “You talk like you’re the one in control. Stop deceiving yourself. Your time is over.”

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline prays for protection from Covington and checks to see if she still has her purse in this setting. If she does, she tries to retrieve her revolver from it.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:20 am
by SunlessNick
HoneyDog wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:19 am “Spare us?” Ellis sneers. “You talk like you’re the one in control. Stop deceiving yourself. Your time is over.”
"You-" He takes a breath. "It is within my power to keep you here. Forever, if need be."

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:22 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 amJacqueline prays for protection from Covington and checks to see if she still has her purse in this setting. If she does, she tries to retrieve her revolver from it.
OOC,Luck 65. Rolled 1D100: 51.
You still had it on you when you sat down, so yes.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline takes out her revolver and aims it at Covington.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:40 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:25 amJacqueline takes out her revolver and aims it at Covington.
You're behind him, and he's intent on Ellis, so he doesn't see you do it.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:16 am
by SunlessNick
Covingon screams as the bullet tears into him. Jacqueline sees no blood coming from the wound, but he staggers and collapses anyway. He tries to push himself back upright, but his arms don't have the strength.

"Without me, you're trapped here," he gasps.

Alexander and James both stir, looking around each other in surprise - it seems the illusion of the plantation has collapsed for them too.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:18 am
by HoneyDog
"Wrong" says Ellis, looking down at him without expression. "I know how to return."

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:28 am
by SunlessNick
"Then... take me with you. I will leave you in peace, all of you. None of you need ever hear from me again."

"Won't that be true anyway?" Alexander says.

"I will... still... have a way into your minds," Covington says. "Help me to live, or I shall haunt your dreams. Help me and you shall be free."

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:52 am
by HoneyDog
"No" says Ellis. "You're finished, Covington. You underestimated us. How does it feel?"

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:23 am
by SunlessNick
"Please..." he coughs out.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Remember what we discussed earlier with the voodoo man, " says Jacqueline to Ellis, hoping to remind him of the solution without saying what it is in front of Covington.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:51 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis has no idea what Jacqueline is getting at.

"Let's go. Leave him here."

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It was the first thing he told us," says Jacqueline, seeing he still doesn't remember, "about the solution."

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:08 am
by SunlessNick
OOC,It's only been an hour or so for Ellis, so it's fair to say he'd remember: Isiah Washington suggested that one of two solutions you found to the equation would open the "door" for Covington, while the other would fully close it.
On the other hand, while he doesn't appear injured in the conventional sense - you still can't see any blood, from his back or his mouth - the bullet from Jacqueline's gun seems to have affected him as it would any other man.

In any case, Ellis can see the correlation between the light-traceries around you all and the equation he solved - he can identify which part of it corresponds to the way out of this limbo, whatever it truly is.

Alexander and James are both on their feet now. Both are shaking, but they no longer look afraid.

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:49 am
by HoneyDog
Understanding, Ellis takes out his notebook and pen, and starts to calculate.

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:47 pm
by SunlessNick
OOC,Secret roll against mathematics.
You can calculate a direction and an angle at which to walk into the tracery, corresponding to the solution to the equation - and a second direction and angle that should leave one hopelessly caught within it.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:19 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis will lead everyone in the necessary direction.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aren't you forgetting something we have to do first?" asks Jacqueline.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:42 am
by HoneyDog
OOC, Sorry, I have no idea what Ellis is supposed to do.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC, I don't know if I'm allowed to tell you more than the Keeper already told you in [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=249669#p249669]the spoiler button in this post[/url], but please read it carefully and look back at the early part of the first conversation we had with [b]Isiah[/b].

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:53 am
by SunlessNick
OOC,As I said, it's only been an hour or so for the Investigators - say anything you want.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:24 am
by HoneyDog
OOC, Is the idea to trick him into thinking he has an exit?

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:46 am
by SunlessNick
OOC,I think that's what MrHandy is getting at. But you'd need to convince him you're being either compliant or merciful, both of which might be difficult. Or you could trust that Isiah's wards will work once you're out of here and he's completed them. Or a few more bullets might be enough to end whatever facsimile of life he's been maintaining.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC, Yes, that's exactly what I meant. It's really up to [b]Ellis[/b], as he's the one with the solution and its opposite.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:20 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis hesitates.

"I could give you a way out" he says to Covington. "But not with us. I won't have you anywhere near these boys and their family. Do you understand?"

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:35 am
by SunlessNick
Covington searches your face, but seems to believe you. "I agree," he says. His voice is growing stronger and his breathing more even. "I have no need of them once I am on Earth again."

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:44 am
by HoneyDog
"Then get out of here!"

Ellis points towards the angle which should trap Covington.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacqueline watches to see what happens when Covington tries to leave. This will also allow them to verify that Ellis has indeed calculated the solution correctly. If Covington is trapped, they'll know Ellis has the right answer. If he escapes, that would be regrettable, but they'll be able to use the same angle to escape themselves.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:57 pm
by SunlessNick
Covington climbs to his feet, the pain from injury apparently fading. "If you speak truly, I shall keep my word - you and my descendants will not be troubled again. If you lie, I will haunt your mind until it breaks beneath my hands."

Presumably you do not take the opportunity to come clean.

He walks into the tracery without looking back. His form seems to distort as he comes into contact with it - it's hard to focus on him - he seems almost to blend into the light. You hear a triumphant exclamation, which seems to come from both impossibly far away, and from all around you - and is suddenly cut short, becoming a scream, which is itself cut short an instant later.

There is no further sign or sound of him.
Jacqueline,There was something familiar about the way his body blurred... it reminds you of the way the crowd in the Savannah Club looked when Walter Locke was playing the Heart Music.
"Is... is he dead?" Alexander asks.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:31 am
by HoneyDog
"We're going to have to wait and see, but I think he won't be troubling you" says Ellis. "Sorry, I've never done anything like this before! I wish I knew for sure."

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's been dead since 1865," says Jacqueline, "but I know what you mean. I think he went the wrong way. If he isn't dead, something worse has happened to him. Serves him right, too. When he disappeared and turned blurry, it reminded me of something that happened to the audience when another performer was on after me: Walter Locke. He called the music he played Heart Music. Well, let's get going the right way. We need to return the real world and have the ward completed, just in case."

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:36 pm
by SunlessNick
Ellis can lead the others on the right route into the tracery.

The light feels cold against your bodies instead of warm, deep icy cold that instantly sets you shivering. The surrounding darkness seems to loom in towards you, the other patches of light of vanishing from view, obscured by the flare of the one around you. The walk takes many steps, far to many for the thickness of the strands of light.

As you go, the light becomes more enveloping, though still not bright enought to eclipse the darkness of this strange limbo.

When it comes, the transition is instantaneous.

The light of apartment living room is blinding. Jacqueline, Alexander and James are still in their seats. Ellis was standing - he feels a judder through his body, as when you fall asleep for a moment and are jolted awake by starting to fall. The excursion must have taken no time at all.

Isiah looks up from the table. "Are you all right? I will be finished soon."

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:04 am
by HoneyDog
"G-good" Ellis stammers, before sitting down heavily.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Something happened to us," says Jacqueline, "but we're all right now. We'll tell you about it when you're done."

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:31 pm
by SunlessNick
Alexander and James stammer out affirmations of their own. A few minutes later, Isiah hands each of them a small bundle wrapped in string. "Wear these around your necks," he says, "especially when you sleep. That will be enough to prevent the ghost from taking control of you again."

He turns his gaze to Ellis and Jacqueline. "So what happened?"

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Covington pulled all four of us into his mind," says Jacqueline, shivering with the memory. "He had access to the two of us even though we weren't his blood kin because the ritual established a link between us and the boys. Fortunately, we had the strength of will to break free of his illusion, though we weren't back in reality yet. I shot him with my gun, which I still had there, and that severely weakened him. Then Ellis was able to trick him by giving him the false solution, which appears to have trapped him, while we escaped with the correct solution."

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:54 pm
by SunlessNick
"I was careless to have put you in danger," Isiah says. "For that you have my apologies. And my congratulations for handling him in his own realm."

Alexander puts his charm around his neck. "I'll get Mom and the girls," he says.

Once he's gone, James seems to deflate into his seat - his youth showing in his face and voice, he stammers out, "Th-thankyou. Y-you saved us."

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome," says Jacqueline. "I'm just glad we were successful. Even if we can't always prevail in this world, at least we had the power we needed in the other one."

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:14 pm
by SunlessNick
Alexander returns with the rest of the family and Washington.

Charlotte beelines right to James, hugging him hard - Mary and Judith follow quickly, then Alexander - mother and daughters are all crying, and you can both see James is struggling not to (more or less succeeding).

Washington, seeming slightly at a loss in the face of the scene, goes to shake Ellis's hand.

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:14 am
by HoneyDog
Ellis shakes hands absently,his mind still on the events which just occurred. The fact that he holds equations which chart the route into another reality is beginning to sink in.

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Nobody outside this room would believe any of what happened," says Jacqueline, "but we can still share it with each other."

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:09 pm
by SunlessNick
"I can't ever thank you enough," Charlotte tells JJ and Ellis. Alexander and James add their own - James is back trying to look strong, and calls you Sir and Ma'am.

It's late, but Charlotte offers to make food for everyone.
OOC,This also seems like a good time for experience. Rather than track back through the thread looking for everything you used, I think I'll give you both a round 40 points, to apply to anything you wish, except Cthulhu Mythos - though remember, you both have 2% in that now from your first brush with it.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:48 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC, I'll add 10 points each to Firearms(Handgun), Listen, Psychology, and Spot Hidden, raising all of them from 55 to 65.

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:19 pm
by SunlessNick
Charlotte fixes a meal that's probably too large for the time of night, but doesn't seem offended if anyone's not hungry - though you have all exerted yourselves somewhat. Isiah pesters you both with questions about what you saw - the ghostly illusion of the plantation is something he seems to take in his stride, but he admits the black expanse with the traceries of light is outside his experience.

The Covingtons - who thanks to you can now truly claim that name for their own - don't want to kick anyone out, but it becomes gradually clearer that they're all emotionally exhausted and in need of time together. And Washington wants to take Isiah home.
HoneyDog,Don't forget to spend your 40 skill points xp.

And that is the end of Part 1.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:32 am
by HoneyDog
OOC, Okay, done!