Part 1 - Ice and Time

It's the Harlem Renaissance, hepcats, where no one can take away a Black man's self-respect. But even in a promised land, people have their troubles, and people have to do for one another - so put on your righteous duds and make Harlem all it can be!

Year 1927.

Moderator: SunlessNick

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Re: Part 1 - Ice and Time

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:"I have a way to bring him out of it" Ellis says. "A sharp shock will wake him up."
Mr. Handy wrote:"Good thinking," says Jacqueline. "If we approach James and try to get through to him, we may be able to bring him back to himself."
"I'll try," Alexander says. "If I can't make him leave, maybe I can make him go into me instead."

He goes into the apartment. You hear low voices, followed by the sound of flesh hitting flesh. Then low voices again. Then Alexander saying, "It's safe."

Isiah is reaching the top of the stairs, helped by Washington.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Ellis enters, hoping that James is safe.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacqueline also ventures into the room.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Alexander and James are both within, picking up some sheets of paper from where they were strewn about.

"I'm sorry, Momma," James says, rubbing his cheek.
"It's all right," Charlotte says. "JJ and Mr Lammons have brought someone who can help."

Washington and Isiah make it to the door and introduce themselves. Isiah asks for a couple of hairs from Alexander and James, and for Charlotte to fetch a blanket, while Washington clears the table. He spreads the blanket on the table, and carefully lays down the hairs - including yours - on small pieces of cloth he takes from his pocket. He then removes a small bag, and starts pouring what looks like cornmeal into designs.

"Washington, would you take Mrs Covington outside please? Only the boys and their protectors should be here."

Charlotte starts to object, but relents and after kissing her sons allows herself to be led outside.

"Now we can get started," Isiah says. "You can all sit down. No need for joining hands or anything like that."
OOC,Unexplained 1D100 roll: 43.
He starts to trace his fingers next to the cornmeal designs, reciting something under his breath.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacqueline takes a seat at the table and observes the ritual.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ellis sits too, feeling uneasy and apprehensive.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Still voicing prayers, Isiah adds a few powders and some cornmeal to the hairs on the small cloths, and begins to wrap them into bundles.
Ellis,Idea: 80 Rolled 1D100: 53 Something's nagging at your mind. When you came in, James was rubbing his cheek, but when you kicked Alexander to break him out of the other personality's trance, he didn't feel any pain once he'd reverted to himself.
Jacqueline,Psychology: 55 Rolled 1D100: 53 Both Alexander and James seem tense, as you'd expect, but James seems more watchful than afraid.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacqueline is also watchful, ready to act in case the ghost intervenes. She prays for protection for the boys while she observes the proceedings.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Ellis will give Alexander a good slap. Should I roll for this? I don't know how much distance is between them, but Ellis will attempt to close the gap without giving his intentions away.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog,So you mean Alexander or James?
Ellis gets up and walks about a little, presumably to ease his cramp. Neither of the boys pay any mind to him, both intent on Isaiah. Isiah himself glances up briefly, then returns to the cloth bundles.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacqueline remains attentive and continues praying.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC, I'm sorry, I meant James - late night!
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Out of nowhere, Ellis delivers a huge slap to James.
OOC, Ellis's Brawl: 45 Rolled 1D100: [redacted]
"What are you-" Alexander burst out, before being interrupted by James: "Where did you come from? ... I'm sorry sir. What's happening?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC, Ellis will attempt the same on Alexander, if possible.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Both of you, remember who you are," says Jacqueline in earnest. "You are Alexander and James. You love each other. Your mother is Charlotte. You love her too, and she loves both of you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Both of you feel a pain in your heads, but sudden come and gone, more of a blow than an ache. Then-
Ellis,You're in a wide, grassy yard outside a large house, the kind bitterly asociated with Southern plantations. You're stripped to the waist, your arms tied above you to a broad wooden frame - Alexander is next to you, similarly restrained. In front of you both is a white man in archaic dress. "Your foolish witchdoctor binds you to my descendants," he says, "but that only allows me to reach into your minds also." Time for your first SAN roll...
Jacqueline,You're in a parlour, the kind you'd imagine from the previous century - and dressed in a maid's uniform. Beside you is James - pushed to his knees by a white man in archaic dress. "Your foolish witchdoctor binds you to my descendants," he says, "but that only allows me to reach into your minds also." Time for your first SAN roll...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The sudden realisation of what has happened overwhelms Ellis.
SAN, SAN 50: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/880827]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]52[/b]
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:08 amThe shock overwhelms Jacqueline.
Jacqueline,Sorry, you lost 6 SAN on a D6. However, you now have 2% Cthulhu Mythos. For a few seconds, all you can do is scream in the face of this monster violating your mind - from his eyes and expression, it's clear why James called him that. James responds by struggling to free himself from Covington's grip, but he's much smaller, and Covington holds onto him. "Now," Covington says. "I need no longer trust your treacherous man friend. Instead I may simply will your bodies to slay these boys, and my return to life will finally be assured."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:13 am The sudden realisation of what has happened overwhelms Ellis.
Ellis,You lose 4 SAN on a D6. However, you now have 2% Cthulhu Mythos. You hear a scream from the house, which sounds like Jacqueline. "Now," Covington says. "I need no longer trust in your treachery. Instead I may simply will your bodies to slay these boys, and my return to life will finally be assured." From his eyes and expression, it's clear why James called him a monster. "Let Mr Lammons go!" Alexander pleads. "Let my brother go. You only need me." From the corner of your eyes, the yard and the house flicker - replaced by intricate geometric traceries - some part of you senses your surroundings are an illusion.

Return to “Harlem Unbound”