Part 1 - Ice and Time

It's the Harlem Renaissance, hepcats, where no one can take away a Black man's self-respect. But even in a promised land, people have their troubles, and people have to do for one another - so put on your righteous duds and make Harlem all it can be!

Year 1927.

Moderator: SunlessNick

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Part 1 - Ice and Time

Post by HoneyDog »

"We're going to have to wait and see, but I think he won't be troubling you" says Ellis. "Sorry, I've never done anything like this before! I wish I knew for sure."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He's been dead since 1865," says Jacqueline, "but I know what you mean. I think he went the wrong way. If he isn't dead, something worse has happened to him. Serves him right, too. When he disappeared and turned blurry, it reminded me of something that happened to the audience when another performer was on after me: Walter Locke. He called the music he played Heart Music. Well, let's get going the right way. We need to return the real world and have the ward completed, just in case."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Ellis can lead the others on the right route into the tracery.

The light feels cold against your bodies instead of warm, deep icy cold that instantly sets you shivering. The surrounding darkness seems to loom in towards you, the other patches of light of vanishing from view, obscured by the flare of the one around you. The walk takes many steps, far to many for the thickness of the strands of light.

As you go, the light becomes more enveloping, though still not bright enought to eclipse the darkness of this strange limbo.

When it comes, the transition is instantaneous.

The light of apartment living room is blinding. Jacqueline, Alexander and James are still in their seats. Ellis was standing - he feels a judder through his body, as when you fall asleep for a moment and are jolted awake by starting to fall. The excursion must have taken no time at all.

Isiah looks up from the table. "Are you all right? I will be finished soon."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"G-good" Ellis stammers, before sitting down heavily.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Something happened to us," says Jacqueline, "but we're all right now. We'll tell you about it when you're done."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Alexander and James stammer out affirmations of their own. A few minutes later, Isiah hands each of them a small bundle wrapped in string. "Wear these around your necks," he says, "especially when you sleep. That will be enough to prevent the ghost from taking control of you again."

He turns his gaze to Ellis and Jacqueline. "So what happened?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Covington pulled all four of us into his mind," says Jacqueline, shivering with the memory. "He had access to the two of us even though we weren't his blood kin because the ritual established a link between us and the boys. Fortunately, we had the strength of will to break free of his illusion, though we weren't back in reality yet. I shot him with my gun, which I still had there, and that severely weakened him. Then Ellis was able to trick him by giving him the false solution, which appears to have trapped him, while we escaped with the correct solution."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I was careless to have put you in danger," Isiah says. "For that you have my apologies. And my congratulations for handling him in his own realm."

Alexander puts his charm around his neck. "I'll get Mom and the girls," he says.

Once he's gone, James seems to deflate into his seat - his youth showing in his face and voice, he stammers out, "Th-thankyou. Y-you saved us."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're welcome," says Jacqueline. "I'm just glad we were successful. Even if we can't always prevail in this world, at least we had the power we needed in the other one."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Alexander returns with the rest of the family and Washington.

Charlotte beelines right to James, hugging him hard - Mary and Judith follow quickly, then Alexander - mother and daughters are all crying, and you can both see James is struggling not to (more or less succeeding).

Washington, seeming slightly at a loss in the face of the scene, goes to shake Ellis's hand.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ellis shakes hands absently,his mind still on the events which just occurred. The fact that he holds equations which chart the route into another reality is beginning to sink in.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Nobody outside this room would believe any of what happened," says Jacqueline, "but we can still share it with each other."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I can't ever thank you enough," Charlotte tells JJ and Ellis. Alexander and James add their own - James is back trying to look strong, and calls you Sir and Ma'am.

It's late, but Charlotte offers to make food for everyone.
OOC,This also seems like a good time for experience. Rather than track back through the thread looking for everything you used, I think I'll give you both a round 40 points, to apply to anything you wish, except Cthulhu Mythos - though remember, you both have 2% in that now from your first brush with it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC, I'll add 10 points each to Firearms(Handgun), Listen, Psychology, and Spot Hidden, raising all of them from 55 to 65.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Charlotte fixes a meal that's probably too large for the time of night, but doesn't seem offended if anyone's not hungry - though you have all exerted yourselves somewhat. Isiah pesters you both with questions about what you saw - the ghostly illusion of the plantation is something he seems to take in his stride, but he admits the black expanse with the traceries of light is outside his experience.

The Covingtons - who thanks to you can now truly claim that name for their own - don't want to kick anyone out, but it becomes gradually clearer that they're all emotionally exhausted and in need of time together. And Washington wants to take Isiah home.
HoneyDog,Don't forget to spend your 40 skill points xp.

And that is the end of Part 1.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC, Okay, done!

Return to “Harlem Unbound”