Part 1 - Ice and Time

It's the Harlem Renaissance, hepcats, where no one can take away a Black man's self-respect. But even in a promised land, people have their troubles, and people have to do for one another - so put on your righteous duds and make Harlem all it can be!

Year 1927.

Moderator: SunlessNick

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Part 1 - Ice and Time

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're welcome, CC," says Jacqueline. "Let's go talk to them now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:“I see” says Ellis. “Well, we’d best try to find out where he is. Have you contacted his workplace?”
"He delivers ice around Harlem," James answers - "he buys from that Colonial place."
Mr. Handy wrote:"You're welcome, CC," says Jacqueline. "Let's go talk to them now."
The two pairings find each other easily enough. James hugs his mother and confesses that he told Mr Lammons Alexander is missing - he doesn't mention having spoken about his dreams. CC says that's all right, they might have found some help.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hi, I'm Jacqueline Johnson," says Jacqueline. "James, I'm helping your mother find your brother. Did he have a particular steady route for his ice deliveries? If he did, we can retrace the route and see at what point he didn't show up on the last day he worked."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Yes, Ma'am," James says, looking between Ellis and JJ. "He mostly worked in the Valley - apartments on 132nd and 133rd."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Ellis tips his hat to Jacqueline.

“Why don’t we head on down to the Valley, then, and see if there’s been any sign of him.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Excellent, that helps a lot, James," says Jacqueline. "We can just go door to door like Alexander Junior did and ask the people he delivered to about him."
OOC,What time of day is it? I was under the impression that it was evening, but I don't think it specifically says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

The next day is warm and muggy, though the Valley is still a place for strolling, and the streets are far from empty (it's also a Saturday, so Ellis doesn't need to be in school). Both Ellis and JJ are greeted frequently, be it by parents or listners. Music radiates from windows, and more than one wall sports a mural by Aaron Douglas.
HoneyDog,Does Ellis tell JJ about James's dreams? He didn't mention them to her himself, and seemed embarassed about them, so it's reasonable to presume he would want them kept confidential. However it may also be relevant to Alexander's problem.
132nd Street is mostly apartment blocks, while 133rd also contains a row of clubs known to New York's white inhabitants as Jungle Alley (but Alexander didn't deliver to those).

Asking at doors reveals that that Alexander last made his rounds three days ago, in the afternoon - that is a few hours after Charlotte last saw him. He should have made another delivery yesterday, but none of the residents or caretakers you speak to claim to have seen him. A few of the caretakers have already complained to Colonial Ice and Coal, and are confident of a new deliveryman taking over.

One of the caretakers on 133rd has a slightly different attitude: "He seemed nervy, like he was a afraid someone was gonna jump him. I almost asked if he needed any help, but it wasn't my business. He looked all right when he left, anyway."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Jacqueline. "Did you see which way he went?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

He indicates down the steet toward the clubs. "I didn't see where he went after that."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

SunlessNick,No, Ellis will keep that to himself. It felt like James told him in confidence.
“Did you see anyone else around?” Ellis asks. “Like, a white man?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:
SunlessNick,No, Ellis will keep that to himself. It felt like James told him in confidence.
Ok.
“Did you see anyone else around?” Ellis asks. “Like, a white man?”
"There were people about," the caretaker muses, "but I didn't see anyone following him. I took a look, as he was nervy like I said, but no one took notice of him except to say hi."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Thanks” says Ellis to the man.

To the others he says, “Maybe we could check the clubs?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's our next stop," says Jacqueline. "I know my way around the clubs. I've performed at several of them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

JJ has indeed performed at several of the clubs, although there are a lot of them, ranging from dance halls to basement speakeasies to restaurants to pool halls. Most are white owned, but the owners (and white customers) tend to show in the evening - during the day, premises tend to be left to local staff, variously Black, Jewish, Latino and Italian. It's your call whether you start at the nearest, or continue on to one JJ is familiar with.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sorry just to confirm - CC and James aren't present?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe we should start with one of the clubs where I've worked," says Jacqueline. "They're more likely to be willing to help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,Sorry just to confirm - CC and James aren't present?
OOC,No, just you two. (James has a Saturday job while he's not at school, delivering newspapers elsewhere in the Valley, and Charlotte works in a shop).
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Maybe we should start with one of the clubs where I've worked," says Jacqueline. "They're more likely to be willing to help."
Evan's Place is a pool hall by day, with a speakeasy that opens at night in the basement, where JJ has performed more than once. James Evans is the owner and a famous pool hustler - most of the daytime staff take after him, and you'll get more out of them if you play a few racks.

The Barbary Club is run by the Reyes family, Pueto Rican immigrants to Spanish Harlem. It's another speakeasy, but has a bigger dance hall than Evan's. JJ is one of the bigger draws.

Tillie's is a kitchen run by Tillie Frip (although she herself works nights) - it serves food to club employees during the day and party goers during the evening. You can find a crowd there any time.

The Nest is the big place on the block, a dance hall, gambling joint, pool place, and speakeasy all in once. It tend to the loud and wanton - JJ has performed there, but the audience likes their performers scantily clad - it pays well, but the staff aren't likely to be friendly unless they think there's a chance to book her again.

The Loa Club is named for the spirits of Voudun, and is popular with who've immigrated from the Caribbean. They put on both music and conjure acts, Caribbean music as well as American styles.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We could try The Barbary Club first," says Jacqueline after she describes the clubs she knows. "I perform there a lot, and they really like me, so I think they'll help me out."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Sure" says Ellis. "I'm not very familiar with these places, to be honest. It's not my scene" he adds, apologetically.

Return to “Harlem Unbound”