Page 1 of 1

OOC-Chapter 2-The Quick and the Undead-General Discussion

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy
This is the thread where we'll post anything that's completely Out Of Character, whether it's game-related questions that can be asked in public or simply out-of-game chatting. Anything that involves your characters' secrets or any information that you'd rather not share with everyone can be sent to me in a PM, or better still in a spoiler button in your post with your character's name. You may only read spoiler buttons with characters' names if you are playing at least one of those characters. You can also include OOC comments or questions in your In Character posts - just use the spoiler or spoiler-button tags. You'll see how to do it in the instructions in the Rules and Guidelines thread in the main forum or when you see me use it in the IC threads. You would do this if you want to say or ask something about what's going on in that particular thread.

Remember that if you're playing in this game, you are only allowed to read the threads that have your characters in them. The title of each IC post will indicate which characters are involved, and the Current Location thread also will have this information along with a thread history (complete with hyperlinks to the exact post where each character enters each thread), but you can ask here if you're uncertain which thread you're supposed to be in. When characters move between threads, I'll indicate which new threads they go to and post links in their old threads that you can follow.

Right now, this is the only thread I've had time to create, but I hope to add more over the next couple of days. I'll want to transfer the character sheets over from Chapter 1, and then add the sheets for the new characters.

Re: OOC-Chapter 2-The Quick and the Undead-General Discussio

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:20 am
by Dave Syrinx
Looking forward to this. :twisted:

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:24 pm
by Raiko
I'll try to catch up on my surviving characters stories over the next day or two. :)

Looking forward to joining in again. I did find running three characters in a single game tricky, so I'll stick with Lynne and Bud for now if that's okay? Or perhaps those plus a chapter two new survivor.

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, both of you, and thank you! I'm looking forward to running this again. Running two characters is fine, though you'd be welcome to pick up one of the new characters. Tonight and tomorrow I plan to post the new characters and put out an invitation for new players to join, though I'll wait a week or two before actually starting. During that time, I should be able to get the initial posts in various IC threads made. I would like to give new players priority on the new Chapter 2 characters, as they won't require any knowledge of Chapter 1, but I intend to open them up to returning players after new players have had about a week to choose.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:19 am
by Silver Priest
I'm looking forward as well. I'm in a CoC discord, assuming I get permission, I'll post a link to your recruitment thread once you make it, hopefully you can nab a few players that way.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, that'll be great! I didn't have time to put up any of the new character sheets tonight, but I should have more time tomorrow.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:33 am
by Starspawn338
I was just wondering when the zombie apocalypse would be continuing. See you all in game soon.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thank you! It's good to see the players from Chapter 1 eager to return.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:42 pm
by aine
Oh my, into the breach again. I’m happy with four characters; from what I remember of Mr Handy’s parting words in the Spring, it’s unlikely they’ll be surviving for very long...
Looking forward to it, Mr H!

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:31 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, great to hear! So far everyone who was there at the end of Chapter 1 except Leonulf and dustakr has checked in; they haven't logged in since the middle of May. Hopefully they'll return, but we have enough players to keep going even if they don't and nobody new comes aboard. Still, the more players, the merrier!

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy
I've only managed to write up about a third of the new characters' sheets today, and I won't have time until the weekend to get the rest done. Fortunately, I'm also off next Monday and Tuesday, so I should have enough time to finish them and make the announcement. I'm looking to get the whole thing going by October 10-12.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish the character sheets in the last few days, but I've cleared my decks and should be able to get it done October 10-12. Then I can allow another week or so to recruit new players before getting started.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:17 am
by Dave Syrinx
Sweet!

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Unfortunately, I couldn't find enough time to finish the character sheets yet.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:35 am
by Silver Priest
No worries.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:07 pm
by aine
No problem; happy to wait.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:25 pm
by Raiko
No worries, I've not had chance to catch up with what happened since I dropped out yet.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, everyone. I'll try to get it done this weekend if I can.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Chapter 2 is happening! 8-)

It'll be a couple of weeks before we can get properly started, but the Chapter 2 characters have been posted. There are 36 of them, and all but a few of them are playable. However, I'd like to give new players first crack at them for a week, as they don't require catching up to play. After that, they'll be up for grabs to existing players. I'll go post a recruitment thread next.

I realize it's been a while, so existing players who want to keep playing, please check in by posting in this thread.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:32 am
by Silver Priest
I'll be back, as will my 4 characters (though I suspect that will be dropping to 3 shortly)

I'll try to link it to some people who may be interested to your recruitment thread.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:58 am
by Dave Syrinx
Ready. 8-)

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:58 pm
by Raiko
I'll also be re-joining. Looking forward to it. :)

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:04 am
by aine
I’ll dig my running shoes out.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, everyone, and welcome back! :)

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:38 am
by Starspawn338
Just saw this. I'm still waiting for the start of Chapter 2. Hope I'm lucky enough to survive.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy
Great, welcome back! So far there are no new players, but it's going to take me some more time to finish setting up the new chapter, so there's still time. I'm hoping now that Laraqua is back that she might join us. She was in the original Zombie Apocalypse from Chapter 3 onwards.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:55 pm
by Silver Priest
I've tried to recruit some, but had very little success unfortunately. I know one player expressed interest and said he was looking for something just like this, so I'm hoping to convince him to join. He's a great player and I think he'd enjoy it. I could also try to post an ad on a few pbp sites I know that allow advertising for games off sight. If you wanted to write up a brief description I could use sometime Mr.Handy I'll try and paste it over there, but no rush. :)

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you. It's good to hear about that potential new player. For a description, you could just use the text blurb seen on the homepage for this game. If that's too short or doesn't have enough detail, there's also the initial post of the recruitment thread.

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:09 am
by Mr. Handy
There are still no new players, so let's get started with the players we have and hope new players join soon. I have more time than I usually do over the next couple of weeks, and I've finished enough of the setup that I can get things moving. I'll start threads as I have time and get off to a rolling start, beginning with threads that are in combat situations, as those will need more updates to advance a minute of game time than the others. The Locations thread has thread names for each character, and I'll add hyperlinks to them as the threads appear. When you see your character's thread, you may go ahead and start. If you have open character slots, feel free to add some of the new (or existing) characters.

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:52 am
by Dave Syrinx
And we´re off!! Great Mr.H!

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:34 pm
by Silver Priest
Looking forward to it.:)

Shame we have no new blood, I posted an ad on a site and discord and got no takers, and the one who expressed interest never got back to me so I guess RL intervened. I'd love to have a few more but am at a loss as to how to get them.

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:52 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thank you both!

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:50 am
by Mr. Handy
I still haven't had time to get the other threads started, but I've updated the existing threads that are in combat for the first round. This will at least allow some more time for the combat to progress and for potential new players to join before everything else gets moving.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:21 pm
by aine
No problem, Alex, Mrs Foo, Brigetta and Samantha are happy waiting in the green room. Lots of tea and biscuits and no zombies.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Some of the actors in zombie costumes are in the green room, but they're getting ready to go on set... :twisted:

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:56 pm
by Raiko
I'm pretty sure that my characters (Lynne and Bud) aren't in the currently active threads?

Sorry, I've barely had a free minute this week, but I'm still here when you need me to resume. :twisted:

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! Both of your characters are not in an active thread. You are free to pick up one or two of the new characters if you like, but they aren't in active threads yet either. I'm hoping to get at least some of the other threads going this weekend, and I plan to finish up next weekend, which is a three-day weekend for me.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:58 pm
by Silver Priest
Any updates on this Mr.Handy? :)

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
I haven't had enough free time to get the rest of the threads going, but I have hope of getting it done from February 27-March 2, when I'm off from work for four days in a row.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:51 pm
by Silver Priest
Absolutely no rush, I know how much work must go into updating all the threads. But looking forward to it!

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:39 pm
by aine
Same here, looking forward to it, Mr H.

Re: OOC-Chapter 2-The Quick and the Undead-General Discussion

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:29 am
by dustakr
Hello Mr. Handy,

I have been meaning to get back on RP wagon..from last few weeks...but wasn't sure ..today I got time to reply back...can make myself available twice a week.
if there is something for me, let me know..

I see that Dave and Steph not yet started their journey..

ps: pm are not getting sent from my inbox

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, dustakr! I did receive your PM. I'm hoping to get Chapter 2 rolling in May. The other game I'm running, The Horror in the Blackout, is nearing its conclusion, so it might not be a good time to join, but after it wraps up I plan to start the sixth game in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, which will be set in Renaissance France. You could play someone from that time, and I'm also looking for a replacement player for one of the Time Lord's companions.

Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:12 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Checking in and sees that there´s a notification alert. Nice!
Do we have a dice option in the works?

I tried the Dholes House dice roller:
https://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceV ... d692544f5a

Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:13 pm
by Dave Syrinx
The link gets you to the result. Looks promising. Or do you guys have another option going?
Cheers!

Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:20 pm
by Dave Syrinx
:D OOh! We do have dice! Lots of things changing in here!
But....hmmm. It´s not integrated in the post system, right?
I have to exit my post or open a new tab. Copy the result and paste it in the post.

Result
[23] = 23
1d100: [ 23 ] = 23

So, I still ask: whtat´s the plan for dice?
Over and out for now.

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, Dave! When you roll the dice, there's an action with the roll where you can place it inline in your post, which I think is better. There's a thread here where we test and discuss the new dice roller. I intend to use it myself (I'm already doing so in my other game and in the games in which I play). Players are free to use it or to use alternative dice rollers, or even to roll physical dice and put the results in their posts.

Here's an example of an inline roll:
d%
Here's the code:

Code: Select all

[roll=39]d%[/roll]
It's the weekend now, though I'm still probably going to be too busy to get more of Chapter 2 started. However, next weekend is a three day weekend for me, so I'm hoping I get things moving then.

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:37 am
by Dave Syrinx
Looks great! Keep up the good work, H!

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:45 am
by Dave Syrinx
OK, I found the tab! Under the post. (Where added files and polls etc are located.) I was stuck at the buttons above the actual post box!!

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:46 am
by Dave Syrinx
Awesome!

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm starting to get more Chapter 2 threads going, so keep an eye out for new threads appearing. I should be able to get a little more started tonight, but not everything. I may have time tomorrow as well, but there's no guarantee. Next weekend I won't have as much time, but I'm on vacation from July 3-11, so I hope to get the rest going by then, as well as get the next adventure in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign started. I really don't want to enter into George R. R. Martin territory keeping everyone waiting for the next installment.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:01 am
by Silver Priest
No rush on the threads Mr.H! I hope we'll be able to recruit some new blood as well, though my attempts seem to have proven unsuccessful. And is the forum still closed to new registrants?

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:13 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, I'd also like to recruit some new players. I don't want to have to run dozens of new characters in addition to all the surviving NPCs from Chapter 1. I intend to update the recruitment thread in Existing Games Looking for Players soon in the hopes of getting some new ones. New players can register now, they just have to be manually activated.

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:07 am
by Snapper
Hi there team!

We're in semi-lockdown at the moment so now seems an excellent time to join a new game, and this looks fun.

Mr H, can I pick Sgt Black, Trooper Brenner, and Capt Johanssen? Hopefully, I've got this right and they are available.

Cheers,

Snapper

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome! All the Chapter 2 characters were available, and now those three are yours! I'll PM you their secrets once I can locate them again. I had them saved to the hard drive of my old computer, but when the monitor died and I couldn't get it to work with other monitors, I got a new computer. Welsh sent them to me a long time ago, so I'll have to go through my archives to find them.

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:53 am
by Mr. Handy
I've finally gotten one of the new sections for Chapter 2 up and running. Everyone in the helicopter and at the airfield may now post in the new threads when ready. The good news is that since this section is far removed from the main part of the game, I can keep it going independently even if there are further delays in getting the rest going, but I may be able to get it all started this weekend.

Snapper, Trooper Rick Brenner is in one of the new threads (The Hangar), so you can get started when you have time. Aine, you're playing Dr. Hausmann in Wild Blue Yonder. Dave is playing Bob Larkin in the same thread. The other characters are NPCs for now.

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy
And I now have another new section started, set at Warren AFB. Snapper, you are playing Captain Nils Johansen, in the thread Quarantine. Dave is playing David the truck driver, and Silver Priest is playing Tisha. Both are in the thread Sanctuary. Like the other section, this one is separated from the truck stop in time and space and can run independently. I won't get to the main section, which will include a huge thread with many characters, tonight, but hopefully I'll get it done over the weekend.

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:36 am
by Mr. Handy
All of the new Chapter 2 threads are now up and running. If you have characters in those threads, you may post in them when you have time.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:35 am
by Snapper
Right, the weekend is here and I'm going to make my entrance(s) in this game!

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy
I've updated all the threads at last! Welcome aboard, Snapper! Please don't forget that you're also playing Sergeant Sam Black.

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:56 am
by Snapper
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:10 am I've updated all the threads at last! Welcome aboard, Snapper! Please don't forget that you're also playing Sergeant Sam Black.
Ah, I misread your earlier post on this thread to mean *only* to post in the new threads. My fault!

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy
That's okay. Everyone should post for all of their characters in all of their threads when there's time, especially if a character is in combat.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome to Oriflamme, who will be taking over the characters of Azadeh Samimi, Mei Ling, Airman Carlos Duran, and Private Simone Dawkins!

I plan to update at least some of the threads this weekend, preferably all if I have enough time. The next chance after that I'll have time to do that is Thursday, but I'm hoping I can do it both times. I'm on vacation starting then through November 7, and I also have a long weekend from November 11-14, so I'm planning to get things really moving during that time. I'm going to a virtual convention from October 29-31, so I'll have less time then.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 pm
by Oriflamme
Hello, I am a player to this group! I look forward to work with you

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:46 pm
by Silver Priest
Welcome Oriflamme! Thanks for joining, and I hope you enjoy the game. :)

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:39 am
by Starspawn338
Welcome to the apocalypse.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:21 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry for the delay, but I haven't had much sleep or as much time as I had hoped. Probably my next opportunity to get things moving will be November 24-28.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:23 am
by Snapper
It's all good. :)

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:57 pm
by Starspawn338
I've been extremely busy also so I'm glad for a bit of a slow down in the games I'm in.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:11 am
by Borderline
Just want to make sure none of my characters are holding anything up correct? I check back to make sure but as long as I'm not missing anything. Otherwise no rush, enjoying the game thanks!

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
No, you're not holding anything up, it's me. I would have had time to get things rolling, but I found out a month and a half ago that I'm probably going to lose my job after the end of next week, and trying to find a new one is a higher priority. This is compounded by the fact that they're blocking me from using leave time that I've built up over twenty years that I'll lose if I don't use it up by the time I'm gone, which also means less time for everything.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:56 pm
by Borderline
Sorry to hear that! Pulling for you.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thank you.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:05 am
by Starspawn338
Hope you land on your feet!

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:12 pm
by Silver Priest
So sorry to hear that Mr.Handy, please take all the time you need, and we understand if you need to step back from the forum for now.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you, and I just found out today that my exemption was approved, so my job is safe until I'm ready to leave. I still want to get out of there as soon as possible, but at least now I won't be forced out before I'm ready.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:07 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Hi there! First, sorry about the job. Second, good luck and happy future when the new gig presents itself!
A couple of years since I last visited the forum, it feels.
Updated my characters´ actions and hope for a great 2022 gaming year.

Hi, Orifalmme!

And all you guys from the past too of course!!

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you, Dave, and welcome back! I've been looking for a new job, and I found one that seems a perfect fit! I had my interviews for it last week and aced them, and I expect to get an official offer on Monday or Tuesday. I'm off from work this week, and I should have about a week between when I leave my old job and start my new one, so maybe I'll finally be able to get this moving while I have time.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:32 am
by dustakr
Hello everyone, how's everyone?
I have found my way back again, how about that?
IRL is now available with no intervals.
Just like to acknowledge and share that I am quite interested in roleplaying and intrigued about Lovecraftian Horror.
Recently I have been getting confused between dark horror and Lovecraftian Horror, is Kult RPG same as CoC, or different?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back! Your characters are now yours again, and there are a whole bunch of new ones available if you want to add to them. You can post for them any time you're ready, but there's no rush. I haven't had time to get Chapter 2 properly moving. I did start my new job on March 1st, and while I had some time off in February, it was largely taken up with the transition. Now I have next to no leave time built up, and I can't use any yet anyway, but I should have a little time in late May. The new job is wonderful, though, and I'm so glad I got it. Meanwhile, my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu game The Masque of Nyarlathotep is underway, set in 1517 France. It's still early, so there's not much catching up if you're interested. I could really use players to take over abandoned characters.

Kult is not the same thing as CoC. It's its own thing. My only experience with playing it is in an archived game on this site, Hecatomb. Sadly, the Keeper disappeared before it got very far, but it may give you a taste.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:14 am
by Silver Priest
Very happy you've found a much less stressful work environment Mr. H. :)

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:36 am
by dustakr
GG Mr. Handy.
also Thanks for replying on query related to Kult ttrpg.

I feel like I want to run a ttrpg one of these days, offline of course and with player constraints either one gm one player or gm less altogether, I looked through coc quickstart guide and even 5e basic rules. I am not finding any one on one or gmless rules lite ttrpg. Just to get general Idea of what and how of running a ttrpg. I mean there is loads of material when I do google search, but I can't choose any and run with it.
can I run coc in one on one setup?

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:57 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, you can! Years ago I found out about Monophobia, a free collection of three one-on-one Call of Cthulhu scenarios. I read them, and they were excellent. I've never played or run them. I had plans to try to turn them into solo adventures playable without a Keeper, but I never had the time. The collection also contains advice on creating and running one-on-one scenarios. You can download it here.

There's also Cthulhu Confidential. It's not Call of Cthulhu but GUMSHOE, and it's far from free. I've heard it's excellent, but I've never run or played it.

Also, some existing CoC scenarios such as The Paper Chase, which I've heard is in the 4th edition rulebook and is also included (and updated for 7th edition) in the Starter Set, work well with just one investigator.

There are a variety of solo adventures that are playable without a Keeper. Alone Against the Flames, Alone Against the Dark, Alone Against the Frost, and Alone Against the Tide are available in 7th edition, the first in the Starter Set. The first three are updates of older solo adventures from an earlier edition. There's also Grimrock Isle, which I have, and Alone on Halloween, which I don't. I've been meaning to write some solo adventures for Call of Cthulhu myself, but I've never found the time. I've written plenty of works of interactive fiction before. You can actually find one of them here on this site, The End of It All