IC-Into the Abyss(Earl/Rosie/Ashley/Thomas/Horst/Flip)

The dead have begun to rise, but they are not the only problem. A small group of survivors at a truck stop in southwestern Nebraska must contend not only with zombies, but with internal division, a nearby group of heavily-armed skinhead survivalists, and even more horrifying dangers. Can they overcome their differences and survive, or will they join the ranks of the living dead?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Into the Abyss(Earl/Rosie/Ashley/Thomas/Horst/Flip)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 10:22 AM Mountain Daylight Time - Underneath the T-Bone
In the shaft-
"We're going down into hell," said Mutt as the elevator descended. "The devil's down there."

Flip shook his head. "The devil's back up there," he said. "Horst is the devil. But the demons are below. The demons are below, and they are hungry."

"Did you hear that?" asked Rosie.

Ashley nodded nervously. Everyone except Earl could hear a kind of sloshing sound not far below the elevator in the shaft, and it was getting closer...
OOC,[b]Earl[/b]'s Listen roll (25% base skill) on the elevator: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Rosie[/b]'s Listen roll (60% skill) on the elevator: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Ashley[/b]'s Listen roll (60% skill) on the elevator: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Flip[/b]'s Listen roll (36% skill) on the elevator: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Listen roll (56% skill) on the elevator: [dice]4[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: IC-Into the Abyss(Earl/Rosie/Ashley/Thomas/Horst/Flip)

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas looks towards the others. "We need to get these crate open and arm ourselves. I know Horst wanted us to wait, but if something's down here and it kills us all he won't get any of the weapons anyway.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Thomas[/b], please roll Fast Talk. The base skill is 5%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Fast Talk 5%,Thomas is a teenager with an abusive father he had to walk on eggshells around his entire life. I think his Fast Talk should be a bit higher. ;) No worries though, let's see what happens! [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:22:12 AM
In the shaft-
"Oh, God, it's so close!" screamed Ashley. "Take us back up! Take us back up!" Her face had lost all its color.

"I want to," said Flip, "but Horst said-"

"Never mind him, darling," said Rosie. "I can smooth things over."

Flip waited, unsure of what to do, and that hesitation was fatal. Viscous black liquid began to flow up around the edges of the elevator and coat the surface. The goo began to sprout tentacles that reached out for the hapless passengers, and eyes began to open. So many eyes...
OOC,[b]Ashley[/b]'s Fast Talk roll (60% skill) to get the skinheads to turn the elevator around: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Rosie[/b]'s Charm Customer roll (80% skill) to get the [b]Flip[/b] to turn the elevator around: [dice]1[/dice] Everyone, please roll Sanity for seeing this thing. Sanity loss is 1/1D10, so you lose 1 Sanity if you succeed or 1D10 if you fail. If you lose at least 5 Sanity, please roll Idea. If you succeed at the Idea roll, you will go temporarily insane. Regardless of whether you do or not, it acts before everyone except for [b]Flip[/b], who has a ready firearm.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas screams when he sees the goo.
San 53%,[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] if fail.
But he mostly keeps his cool,and he looks around for a way to get the elevator to go up again-- maybe the goo would fall off?
OOC:   Pretty sure you're going to need to be updating that death toll thread soon Mr.Handy. :(  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. :twisted: You were really unlucky, with everyone failing their rolls to get [b]Flip[/b] to be sensible. [b]Earl[/b] had an excellent chance, but he didn't even try because he's the only one who failed his Listen roll to hear what was below. [b]Earl[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 55) for seeing the monster: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Rosie[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 44) for seeing the monster: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Rosie[/b]'s Sanity loss: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Rosie[/b]'s Idea roll (55% stat) to avoid temporary insanity - failure is good: [dice]9[/dice] Type and duration of temporary insanity: [dice]15[/dice] [dice]16[/dice] [b]Ashley[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 52) for seeing the monster: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Ashley[/b]'s Sanity loss: [dice]6[/dice] [b]Ashley[/b]'s Idea roll (50% stat) to avoid temporary insanity - failure is good: [dice]10[/dice] Type and duration of temporary insanity: [dice]17[/dice] [dice]18[/dice] [b]Flip[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 29) for seeing the monster: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Flip[/b]'s Handgun roll (31 x 2 = 62% skill) shooting at the monster, point blank, shot 1 of 2: [dice]7[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 25) for seeing the monster: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Sanity loss: [dice]8[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Idea roll (70% stat) to avoid temporary insanity - failure is good: [dice]11[/dice] Monster's Whip attack (90% chance) on random target (1=[b]Earl[/b], 2=[b]Rosie[/b], 3=[b]Ashley[/b], 4=[b]Thomas[/b], 5=[b]Flip[/b], 6=[b]Mutt[/b]): [dice]12[/dice] [dice]13[/dice] Number of targets for Tentacle attacks: [dice]14[/dice] Random targets for Tentacle attacks (except [b]Flip[/b]): [dice]19[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the shaft-
Rosie stood stock still, and Ashley began to scream, which reminded Thomas of Kerry's screams. A tail-like appendage formed out of the goo. Flip fired at it from the hip, missing by a fraction of an inch. Then it whipped around him, and he howled. Two tentacles emerged and wrapped themselves around Rosie and Ashley, which made Ashley scream even louder. Then a large column of black goo rose up and came down on Thomas like a hammer.
OOC,Tentacle attack (60% chance) on [b]Ashley[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Random target for second Tentacle attack (1=[b]Earl[/b], 2=[b]Rosie[/b], 3=[b]Thomas[/b], 4=[b]Mutt[/b]): [dice]1[/dice] Tentacle attack (60% chance) on [b]Rosie[/b]: [dice]2[/dice] Random target for Bludgeon attack (1=[b]Earl[/b], 2=[b]Thomas[/b], 3=[b]Mutt[/b]): [dice]4[/dice] Bludgeon attack on [b]Thomas[/b]: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Thomas[/b], please roll Dodge, and try very hard to succeed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Dodge 22%,[dice]0[/dice]
Thomas tries to move out of the way, but the tentacle is too fast. It's probably the last mistake he'll ever make.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:22:24 AM
In the shaft-
The column of goo was much thicker than a tentacle, and it crushed Thomas to a bloody pulp, shattering his left arm.

"Demon!" screamed Flip and Mutt in unison. It lunged at Mutt, trying to swallow him whole, but he stepped aside. Mutt then sprayed it with a burst of gunfire from his M-16, hitting with every bullet. They made holes in the creature's gooey surface, but those holes quickly sealed. It did not even seem to notice. Flip fired again, this time more accurately, but his shot had just as little effect. Earl grabbed the switch and flipped it, sending the elevator back up. "Bullets don't even hurt it!" he cried.
OOC,Damage to [b]Thomas[/b] from Bludgeon attack: [dice]0[/dice] Hit location: [dice]12[/dice] Random target of Bite attack (1=[b]Earl[/b], 2=[b]Mutt[/b]): [dice]1[/dice] [b]Bite[/b] attack (30% chance) on [b]Mutt[/b]: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Rifle roll (67% x 2[point blank] + 15[burst of 3 bullets] = 149% skill) shooting at the monster, burst: [dice]3[/dice] How many bullets hit: [dice]4[/dice] Damage: [dice]5[/dice] [dice]6[/dice] [dice]7[/dice] [b]Flip[/b]'s Handgun roll (31 x 2[point blank] = 62% skill) shooting at the monster, point blank, shot 2 of 2: [dice]8[/dice] Damage: [dice]9[/dice]
In the shaft room-
Buzz held Kerry tight in his grip while Horst pressed himself against her and unbuckled his belt. Then they heard the shooting and screaming from below. "If guns don't hurt it, maybe those weapons we found will!" said Buzz. Still holding Kerry with one hand, Buzz snatched the electric prod out of the open crate while Horst seized the makeshift flamethrower. They made their way to the edge of the shaft.
OOC,[b]Horst[/b]'s Idea roll (80% stat) in the shaft room: [dice]10[/dice] [b]Buzz[/b]'s Idea roll (75% stat) in the shaft room: [dice]11[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:22:36 AM
In the shaft room-
Horst and Buzz gasped when they saw the monster. Kerry kept trying to pull away and didn't see it, but Buzz held her fast. Horst readied his flamethrower and grinned maniacally. "So that's what a demon looks like," he said. "I can kill it."

"Fire and electricity might hurt it!" Buzz called down the shaft.
OOC,[b]Horst[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 56) for seeing the monster: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Horst[/b]'s Sanity loss: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Horst[/b]'s Idea roll (80% stat) to avoid temporary insanity - failure is good: [dice]4[/dice] Type and duration of temporary insanity: [dice]5[/dice] [dice]6[/dice] [b]Buzz[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 52) for seeing the monster: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Buzz[/b]'s Sanity loss: [dice]3[/dice]
In the shaft-
As the elevator ascended, another tail whipped around and grabbed Mutt, who cried in pain. Three more tentacles emerged from the goo, one ensnaring Earl and the other two questing after Thomas's prone form. One of those managed to grab him. The creature tried to swallow Flip whole and nearly succeeded. Mutt, having heard Buzz's warning, took out his taser and jabbed the thing with it. It reared back, this time affected. Fortunately for Mutt, the rubbery stuff of which it was composed did not seem to conduct electricity, so he was not stunned. Neither was the creature, which raised another column of its peculiar substance and brought it crashing down on Mutt's right leg,

Earl didn't really care about Thomas, but he knew that the dead were rising up and didn't want that to happen right next to him, so he tried to save Thomas, but he was too far gone. Thomas slipped away.
OOC,Random target for abomination's Whip attack (1=[b]Earl[/b], 2=[b]Mutt[/b]): [dice]7[/dice] Abomination's Whip attack (90% chance) on [b]Mutt[/b]: [dice]8[/dice] Number of Tentacle attacks: [dice]9[/dice] Abomination's Tentacle attacks (60% chance), starting with [b]Earl[/b]: [dice]10[/dice] [dice]11[/dice] [dice]12[/dice] [b]Earl[/b]'s Dodge roll (26% base skill) to avoid the first Tentacle attack: [dice]13[/dice] Random target for abomination's Bite attack 1=[b]Earl[/b], 2=[b]Rosie[/b], 3=[b]Ashley[/b], 4=[b]Thomas[/b], 5=[b]Flip[/b], 6=[b]Mutt[/b]): [dice]14[/dice] Abomination's Bite attack (30% chance) on [b]Flip[/b]: [dice]15[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Fist/Punch roll (63% skill) attacking the abomination with the taser: [dice]16[/dice] Damage to abomination from taser: [dice]17[/dice] Abomination's Bludgeon attack (20% chance) on [b]Mutt[/b]: [dice]18[/dice] [b]Earl[/b]'s First Aid roll (30% base chance) on [b]Thomas[/b]: [dice]19[/dice] I'm sorry, but that is the end of [b]Thomas[/b]. :cry:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:23 AM
In the shaft-
Mutt barely managed to cling to consciousness, his desire to stay alive very strong. Now aware that Mutt was a threat, the monster reared up above him and directed all its fury his way. The next hammer blow missed, but it managed to swallow him whole! From within the thing's interior, he again struck it with the taser, causing it pain and briefly lighting the inky interior. Then it engulfed Ashley, who was swallowed with one final scream. Mutt tried again to tase the creature from its gullet, but this time he could not bring the weapon to bear. The elevator continued to rise, and it began to near the top.
OOC,Damage to [b]Mutt[/b] from Bludgeon attack: [dice]0[/dice] Hit location: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s CON x 5 roll (85% stat) to stay conscious: [dice]2[/dice] Abomination's Bludgeon attack (20% chance) on [b]Mutt[/b]: [dice]3[/dice] Abomination's Bite attack (30% chance) on [b]Mutt[/b]: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Fist/Punch attack (63% skill) attacking the abomination with the taser: [dice]5[/dice] Damage to abomination from taser: [dice]6[/dice] Random target for abomination's Bite attack (1=[b]Earl[/b], 2=[b]Rosie[/b], 3=[b]Ashley[/b], 4=[b]Flip[/b]): [dice]7[/dice] Abomination's Bite attack (30% chance) on [b]Ashley[/b]: [dice]8[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Fist/Punch attack (63% skill) attacking the abomination with the taser: [dice]9[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

ooc,Suppose it's too much to ask that Horst or Buzz could try to save me when we reach the top. Well, I doubt Horst would even if he was sane. ;) No worries. I admit I'm a bit sad to lose Thomas, he grew on me. But them's the breaks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yeah, I'm sorry to see [b]Thomas[/b] go too. It doesn't look too good for the others on the elevator either. You should probably stop reading this thread at this point to avoid spoilers. You're free to choose a replacement character, but you might wish to wait. We're getting close to the end of the chapter (probably in May), and a whole bunch of new characters will be added for Chapter 2. It's already too late to save [b]Thomas[/b] even if [b]Horst[/b] and [b]Buzz[/b] wanted to do so. They may need saving from him once he rises up as a zombie... :twisted:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

ooc,That's fair. If it's alright can I take over Flip? It may be a short time playing him but I kind of want to see if any of the characters survive.:P
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, you can have [b]Flip[/b]. He's been abandoned for quite a while. He is currently grabbed by the creature (which is too strong for him to break free) and indefinitely insane, but he's yours if you want him. Maybe he'll even survive. I'll send you his secrets in a PM. You can go ahead and post for him once you've read his secrets.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Flip knows the demon has him, and he's being dragged to hell. It was a long time coming, he had committed many sins in his life. But maybe he could yet do some good.

Knowing that guns don't hurt the thing, he tries his boot, hoping to connect. He doubts it would do anything either, but at the moment he's trying to make himself as big a nuisance to this thing as possible and help as many of the others escape as he can.
Kick 44%,[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice]
"Keep tazing it Mutt!" He calls to the man inside the thing's gullet. "It ain't like the Light! The rest of you run, you don't need to be judged! Horst, hit it with the Flames of God's Judgement! Satan cannot abide the Lord's Light!" He begins to laugh, tears running down his face. The thing will burn, and so will he in the purifying flames of God. A baptisms to wash away all his myriad sins. He'd be as pure as a newborn babe!

"Cleanse me Horst! Cleanse me of my sins!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:23:12 AM
In the shaft room-
"I will, my son!" Horst called down the shaft to Flip as he stood ready with the flamethrower. "I will have mercy on you, for you are faithful to me! I bear the flames, and I will burn the demon!"

Kerry squirmed and shrieked in Buzz's grasp as the elevator got closer to the top.

In the shaft-
Flip kicked the monster hard, but it did not seem to react to the blow. Instead, the black goo got on his boot and dissolved its way through the leather. He recalled the boots of those suits they had found in the decontamination chamber, and how their soles had been eaten through.

The creature attempted to engulf Rosie, but it missed due to the motion of the elevator in spite of the fact that she wasn't moving at all. The elevator was now nearly at the top.

Inside it, the goo continued to eat away at Mutt and Ashley. All Ashley could do was keep screaming, but Mutt managed to tase it again. It wasn't enough to stop the thing, but he was definitely hurting it.
OOC,Abomination's Bite attack (30% chance) on [b]Rosie[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Fist/Punch roll (63% skill) attacking the abomination with the taser: [dice]1[/dice] Damage to abomination from taser: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Flip[/b], you may act again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Flip continues to struggle. He kicks out again.
Kick 44%,[dice]0[/dice] Damn these rolls that don't matter. I'll just say I kick with his other shoe if allowed. [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice]
"Bless you Horst! Be His Avenging Angel!

"Keep it up Mutt! The Light of Judgement rebukes the Demon! It must be sanctified!
"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:23:24 AM
In the shaft room-
Flip kicked the monster with his other boot, with much the same result. It didn't seem to damage the beast, but the black goo began to dissolve the leather. Then the elevator reached the top of the shaft.

The monstrosity loomed over Horst and Buzz. It was just about to strike when Buzz lunged forward with his electric prod and struck it. The cattle prod-like device shocked it and left it immobile. However, within it Mutt and Ashley were still being eaten slowly. Mutt finally blacked out from the pain, but he had at least done some serious damage first.

Buzz had had to release Kerry in order to strike the thing, as it required both of his hands. She ran shrieking back into the decontamination chamber.

"Burn in hell, you fiend!" roared Horst. "This is the fate of all who disobey me!" He fired a stream of flame from the tip of his improvised flamethrower, but he had misjudged the range slightly. The flames stopped mere inches from it.

Rosie came to her senses, but she was still held fast, as were Earl and Flip.
OOC,[b]Kerry[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 38) for seeing the abomination: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Buzz[/b]'s Large Club roll (58% skill) attacking the abomination with the electric prod: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to abomination from electric prod: [dice]1[/dice] Duration of stun: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Horst[/b]'s Flamethrower roll (5% x 2[point blank] x 2[confined space] = 20% base skill) shooting at the abomination: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Flip[/b], you may act again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Beginning of the End”