IC-Guns and Ammo(various)

The dead have begun to rise, but they are not the only problem. A small group of survivors at a truck stop in southwestern Nebraska must contend not only with zombies, but with internal division, a nearby group of heavily-armed skinhead survivalists, and even more horrifying dangers. Can they overcome their differences and survive, or will they join the ranks of the living dead?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Guns and Ammo(various)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 9:47 AM Mountain Daylight Time - Underneath the T-Bone
In the cell block-
Though Alex's rifle's magazine was mostly full, it didn't hurt to top it off after an engagement, so he swapped it out for a full one on his way back to the cell block. In response to his queries, the blonde woman merely kept screaming.
OOC,It would take a Psychoanalysis roll to bring her out of it, and the base skill is only 1%. A Psychology roll would at least tell you what's wrong with her, but the base skill is only 5%. Also, now that you've seen the dead body, you too will need to roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1D3.
In the common area-
Horst entered the common area with Ashley still gripped tight, followed by Flip with Rosie and then Buzz and Mutt with Earl. They made Charlie, Lynne, Thomas, and Beth back away from the weapons. Robert, Duke, Alice, Bud, and Rita entered behind them. This was a large area where prisoners could gather outside their cells for exercise or socializing. A metal door stood at the far end with a sign over it that read: "Lab Entrance. No Unauthorized Entry Beyond This Point." There were three crates in the room near the entrance. One of them was still sealed. One contained two M4 carbines, two shotguns, and plenty of ammunition, with plenty of room left. Presumably the M-16s and Grease guns had come from it. The third crate contained an M79 grenade launcher and plenty of grenades, both for the launcher and of the hand variety.

"At last!" said Horst, practically drooling. "My guns!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: IC-Guns and Ammo(various)

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas has no idea what to do, but he hopes that Horst is in a good enough mood to no longer need them. Unfortunately, that might just mean he would kill them all. He chooses his words carefully.

"They're all there. Um, Mr. Horst? You don't really need us now. I mean, you probably want to go back to your compound, and so many hostages would slow you and your men down. Not to mention, how would you feed them all,right? So, um, would you let the girls go? And my friends? You've got your guns now, there's no use for them.

"If you're willing to let everyone go
," and God did he hate what he was about to say, but when dealing with a psycho like Horst one had to butter him up, " I'll uh, join your group. I don't think my job is really an option anymore, given all the craziness out there, and honestly, sticking with the guy with all the guns seems the safest bet."

Ash, Lynne, Beth, even you Charlie...This is for you,though you'll probably all hate me for it.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

psychology,5%[dice]0[/dice]
Alex shakes his head over the poor woman but it's no wonder she's screaming; chained up, starved... he looks a bit more carefully at the body on the floor. It looks dead but that doesn't t seem to mean much today.
"Fire in the hold, Miss! That dead body's gotta die" He says in apology and the fires one shot into the dead woman's head.
sanity rifle,[dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice]
ooc,Oops, what does a critically failed sanity roll mean?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cell block-
The bullet hit the dead woman in the head, right next to the other bullet already in her head. She remained motionless. The live woman just continued to scream.
OOC,[b]Thomas[/b], please roll Persuade. The base skill is 15%. [b]Alex[/b], you should just roll 1D3 for your Sanity loss in this instance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Persuade 15%,[dice]0[/dice] Ack! So close. If Thomas says [i]Please [/i]does that get him a bonus? :p
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Sanity loss,[dice]0[/dice]
Alex says, "Better safe than sorry. We'll pick you up on the way back out, Miss." Although he has no idea what to do with a semi-naked, totally delirious woman. He turns to walk up the corridor to the others.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:48 AM
In the common area-
"Buzz, grab one of the M-16s and sling the other over my shoulder," said Horst. "Then you and Mutt load the other weapons and carry the crates. Earl, you bring the sealed crate. We're gettin' outta here."

"Right, Horst," said Buzz as he and Mutt obeyed quickly. Buzz picked up the crate with the guns, while Mutt took the one with the grenades. Neither of them had any problem with them. However, when Earl tried to lift the third crate, he pulled a muscle and had to set it down.

"Smart kid," said Horst to Thomas. "We still need the girls a while longer, though. Not everyone's as smart as you, after all. You're right that we need to be careful who we spend our food on. Not just anyone can join us. You want to become one of us, you gotta prove yourself, like that Marine did. Helping Fatso over there carry that sealed crate would be a good start. Now there's someone who isn't worth keeping fed." He and Flip followed Buzz and Mutt, still with their hostages at gunpoint.

Lynne came to her senses and stood up, drying her eyes. "I was so scared they were going to take me," she said.

"So was I," said Beth.

"Are you okay?" asked Robert. "Duke and I couldn't leave without making sure." Beth nodded and went over to Robert, throwing her arms around him.
OOC,[b]Mutt[/b]'s STR x 5 roll (85% stat) carrying the gun crate: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Buzz[/b]'s STR x 5 roll (75% stat) carrying the grenade crate: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Earl[/b]'s STR x 5 roll (60% stat) carrying the sealed crate: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Thomas[/b], if you want to help [b]Earl[/b] carry the crate, there is no need to roll. Between the two of you, your STR scores are enough to guarantee success.
In the shower room-
Alex entered the shower room from the cell block as the skinheads and their hostages returned with the crates. "Everything good?" asked Horst.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas hates that he feels slight appreciation at Horst's words. Scumbag that the man was, it was still more affection than his own father had ever shown him. He goes and helps Earl with the crate. If Ash is still a hostage he needed to look after her, make sure she was safe.

At least it did not sound as though Horst was going to keep the rest of their group as hostages as well. He looks to Lynne, Beth, and Charlie. "Hey uh, guys. If you get out of here and are able to, could you do me a favor? My folks live not too far from here. I don't care about my dad, but if you could, could you go and check on my mom? I just hate to imagine something happening to her, and I'm not in a position to do much about it right now. " He gives the address.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Alex shrugs and says to Horst
"The exit is clear for the moment. Hold it! Who are all these other people?" He looks at Thomas and the men and women with him in surprise.
"Are you hiding down here? It's not a good idea; it's a death trap- only one route out."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Oh, um, we had a... misunderstanding." Thomas explains. "But it's cleared up now. We're getting out of here. Trust me, I don't wanna spend any more time down here than necessarily. Place gives me the creeps."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"That's some haul you've got there." Alex looks in the tops of the crates with an expert's eye and taking a swift inventory. He then assesses the room.
"What's past that door? Did you go down there? Is it clear?" He points his rifle at the metal door at the back, the one with 'Lab Entrance' on it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:49 AM
In the common area-
"I'll look in on her if I get the chance," said Charlie as Thomas left.

"Look after Ashley," added Lynne.

"Maybe we should get out of here," said Beth, "but then we'd have to follow them."

"I think we'll wait until they've gone first," said Robert.

"In the meantime, let's see what we can find down here," said Duke. "I wonder what's behind that door?"

"Me too," said Bud

"There's only one way to find out," said Lynne. She went over to the locked door, took out her lockpicks, and set to work.

"Hey, this ain't your property!" protested Rita.

"It ain't yours either. It belongs to the U.S. Government...if there even is such a thing any more."

"Fine, go ahead," said Rita.

Lynne had the door open in short order. Beyond it was a round chamber with a hatch in the center of the floor that resembled one from a submarine. Next to the hatch was a small control panel. At the back of the chamber was a small door.

"I...don't feel so good..." mumbled Alice, sitting down.

"Here, let me help," said Beth. She tied a tourniquet around Alice's bitten arm and tried to stop the bleeding, but she couldn't. Duke tried as well, with no more luck. Robert applied pressure to the wound, and Alice helped as well, but not much. Finally, Charlie and Bud tried.
OOC,[b]Lynne[/b]'s Fast Talk roll (62% skill) to convince [b]Rita[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Locksmith roll (48% skill) trying to pick the lock: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Beth[/b]'s First Aid roll (50% skill) trying to treat [b]Alice[/b]'s wound: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Duke[/b]'s First Aid roll (50% skill) trying to treat [b]Alice[/b]'s wound: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Robert[/b]'s First Aid roll (40% skill) trying to treat [b]Alice[/b]'s wound: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Alice[/b]'s First Aid roll (30% base skill) trying to treat her own wound: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Bud[/b]'s First Aid roll (30% base skill) trying to treat [b]Alice[/b]'s wound: [dice]6[/dice] [b]Charlie[/b]'s First Aid roll (30% base skill) trying to treat [b]Alice[/b]'s wound: [dice]7[/dice]
In the shower room-
"They took our guns," said Horst, "but they didn't know they were ours. Probably thought they were Hammond's, but he'd already sold them to us. The skinflint lied and said he didn't have them yet, but we'd already paid him. So I called up my men, and we came and got 'em." The skinheads and their hostages proceeded back toward the exit, along with Alex and Thomas.

In the cell block-
The group returned to the cell block, where the woman was still screaming hysterically. Horst called a halt outside the open cell door. "Get her out of there," he said to Earl. He then regarded Thomas. "See if you can carry that crate by yourself."

Earl released his end of the crate and headed for the cell.
OOC,[b]Thomas[/b], please roll STR x 5 to see if you can handle the crate by yourself.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas gives a nod in appreciation to Charlie. Funny, he had never liked his coworker, but he had proven to be a good man to have by his side in a crisis. He knew he'd keep the rest of the girls safe.

He nods to Horst's instructions and tries to keep hold of the crate.
str 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
The box is too heavy for him, and he sets it down, but tries to pretend he's only resting while Earl's busy inside. Trying to forestall Horst's anger, he attempts to please him by playing to his ego.

"Hey, Mr. Horst? Or uh, what should I call you? Commander Horst, Herr Horst ?" Most skinheads like that, right? "That girl you have there is my girlfriend." He points out Ashley, fairly certain she'd be understanding of his lie. "Obviously you can't let everyone go of course, but do you think you could let her free? She's good and I'll keep an eye on her."
Persuade 15%,If needed [dice]1[/dice]
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Whilst they wait for Earl, Alex looks behind him; he's concerned for the civilians still in the common room; murmurs of 'It's still bleeding' and 'Oh, you have a go if you think you can do any better' float down the hallway.

"Horst. You should get on much faster not dragging these civilians with you. You don't need them anymore; there's no resistance upstairs, not from people, and you'll need your hands free to deal with any more crawling dead. You've got the guns so get out of here fast. I'll keep your retreat clear, bring these civilians up, find somewhere safe for them and then make my way to your compound.

"Oh, and if you see any dead guys; shoot them in the head; it's the only way to drop them."
Persuade,(75%)[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:50 AM
In the common area-
Lynne came back from the door and tried to close up Alice's wound, but she only made it worse. Alice cried out in anguish. "Sorry," said Lynne. She glanced at Rita. "Can you help?"

"Fine," said Rita with a sigh. "Don't want her dying on me." She did an astounding job, and Alice's wound was completely stitched up, even undoing the damage Lynne caused.

"Thank you," said Alice. "It still hurts, though. It burns...my head..."

Meanwhile Robert, Duke, Beth, Charlie, and Bud continued through the open door.
OOC,[b]Lynne[/b]'s First Aid roll (30% base skill) treating [b]Alice[/b]'s wound: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Rita[/b]'s First Aid roll (35% skill) treating [b]Alice[/b]'s bite wound: [dice]2[/dice]
In the chamber-
"There are two buttons," said Robert, examining the control panel, "one red and one green. Seems pretty self-explanatory."

"The hatch is locked," said Beth, "but it can be unlocked from above. There's a glass window in it." She peered through. "Looks like it goes down about thirty feet. There's a ladder, and I see a flat lift at the bottom."

"There's writing on the hatch too," said Duke. "It says: 'QUARANTINE: By order of the Department of Defense'"

In the cell block-
As soon as Earl released the crate, Thomas dropped it on his foot, unable to hold onto it. Earl proceeded into the cell, took out a ring of keys, and unlocked the manacles around the young woman's wrists. She shrieked even louder and cringed when he touched her.

"She's your girl?" said Horst, suppressing a chuckle at Thomas's lack of strength. "Well, at least you've got good taste. Yeah, you can keep an eye on her. Maybe she can help you carry the crate. Horst is my first name. Horst Jaegermeister. You can call me Fuhrer." To Alex he added. "We don't know what the tactical situation is topside, but we know it's bad. Someone killed my men, shot them dead. There may still be a threat, so we'll just hold onto these civilians for now."

Earl emerged from the cell dragging the screaming woman. Horst grabbed her and released Ashley in one swift motion. Ashley ran over to Thomas, wrapped her arms around him, and kissed him.

"Miss me, Kerry?" Horst asked his new captive, coiling an arm around her waist and pressing the pistol to her back. She let out her most earsplitting scream yet. "SHUT THE F*** UP, B****!" he shouted in her ear. She fell silent, tears flowing down her cheeks. "There, now pick up the crate and let's get out of here."
OOC,[b]Thomas[/b], you already attempted a Persuade roll earlier for the same purpose, which failed, so I won't count that success. However, [b]Alex[/b] succeeded, though barely. [b]Horst[/b] won't do everything you want, but you'll get something out of it. [b]Thomas[/b], you take 1 damage from the crate (1=left foot, 2=right foot): [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

The pain in Thomas' left foot hurts like hell, but as soon as Ashley kisses him he forgets all about it. He forgets about everything, really. He returns the kiss, Ashley tasting as sweet as he dreamed. Not even the screaming of the woman can phase him. At that moment he feels invincible.
Mr.Handy,I'm starting to get the feeling that Horst is not a particularly nice person. Who would have guessed? But you play him-- and all the characters-- really well, so kudos.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Alex cringes at Horst's treatment of Kerry but he can't do anything about it yet; the odds are against him and the chances of a civilian being shot in these close confines is too high. He just grits his teeth.
"I'll just check on the civilians behind us and then follow you up." He says instead and turns back to the common room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:51 AM
In the chamber-
"Uh...maybe we shouldn't open that thing, then," said Beth. "It's locked for a reason."

"How about we check that door at the back?" said Robert, already approaching it. He opened it carefully, revealing a large generator room. The generator was humming smoothly, and wires ran from it into the floor. There was no other exit from the generator room.

In the common area-
Rita backed away from Alice. "Whatever you've got, don't give it to me!" she said, wiping her hands.

Lynne looked back and waved to Alex, who was coming back toward them.

In the cell block-
"Don't take too long," Horst called after Alex. "Once we get the guns loaded in our vehicles, we're outta here. If you're not back by then, you'll have to make your way north on your own and catch up with us."

Horst dragged Kerry back toward the entrance, into the interrogation room, followed by Flip and Rosie. Earl and Ashley helped Thomas with the sealed crate and followed, and Buzz and Mutt took up their crates and brought up the rear.
Silver Priest,Thank you! Yeah, [b]Horst[/b] didn't get much of a chance to do anything the first time around, as he was one of the first ones killed, possibly the first. This time he gets to be truly nasty, and he's a lot of fun to play. You missed a scene earlier where you didn't have any characters when he did something really evil, as you didn't have a character in it. Maybe at some point one of those who was will tell [b]Thomas[/b] about it. If this were a TV show or movie, I would envision [b]Horst[/b] being played by Bryan Cranston. He has the acting chops to do the role justice.
In the shower room-
Alex returned to the shower room. He could see Rita, Lynne, and Alice in the common area just beyond.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Still smiling dopeyly, Thomas looks at Ashley.

"You alright, Ash? Don't worry, things are good now. Mr. Horst has the guns, but as long as we do what he says I think it's the safest place for us to be. Just stick with me, I'll keep you safe." He boasts.
Mr.Handy,I can understand that. I've had to play a few nasty characters over the years, and if they don't die really quickly they can be fun to write. I can definitely see Cranston for Horst; my own choices would probably be 2008 Michael Cera for Thomas, Megan Fox for Tisha, and a younger Eugene Levy for Tony. Not really sure on Sean.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Alex hopes Thomas and the other civilians will be okay; as long as they stay useful he surmises. He goes over to Lynne and Alice
" Were you shot? I'm not a band-aid but I can fix you up." He says to Alice "And then we'd better get out of here; it's a difficult place to retreat from. What happened to the others who were here?" He asks Lynne.

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Beginning of the End”