IC-Beneath the Surface(Hammond/Earl/Rosie/Ashley/Horst/Flip)

The dead have begun to rise, but they are not the only problem. A small group of survivors at a truck stop in southwestern Nebraska must contend not only with zombies, but with internal division, a nearby group of heavily-armed skinhead survivalists, and even more horrifying dangers. Can they overcome their differences and survive, or will they join the ranks of the living dead?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

IC-Beneath the Surface(Hammond/Earl/Rosie/Ashley/Horst/Flip)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 9:30 AM Mountain Daylight Time - At the T-Bone
In the kitchen-
"Where the hell are Charlie and Thomas?" asked Hammond, looking around.

"They probably slipped out the back while the getting was good," said Rosie. "Can't say as I blame them."

"Liquor closet," said Horst. "Now. I want those guns."

"That way," said Hammond, pointing out the door. Flip opened it and led the group inside.

In the liquor closet-
The closet was full of cases and kegs of beer and other alcoholic beverages. There was a trapdoor set into the floor, and Flip pulled it open.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: IC-Beneath the Surface(Hammond/Earl/Rosie/Ashley/Horst/F

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:31 AM
In the liquor closet-
A second rifle shot rang out seconds later, then silence.

"Where's the explosion?" asked Buzz. "I told Nitro to blow up the pumps if he heard a shot, and that's two of them."

"It was probably just Deadeye taking care of some trouble," said Mutt. "I guess Nitro must have thought it wasn't necessary yet."

"Dammit, he's not supposed to think, he's supposed to obey orders. I'm gonna have to have a talk with him later."

"Never mind, let's just get the guns," said Horst, heading down the stairs with Flip. The bosses and waitress followed, with Buzz and Mutt bringing up the rear.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:32 AM
In the fallout shelter-
The eight people reached the bottom of the stairs and found themselves in a larger room that had many boxes of both wood and cardboard. A corner of the room was blocked by an old, ratty curtain.

The place was some kind of storage room. The boxes were all marked: VCRs, Levi's Jeans, Liquor, Cigarettes, Watches, Expensive luggage, DVD players, Sweaters, Beer, Cooking supplies, Leather jackets, televisions, cellphones.

The shelter was not earthen but seemed hardened and old, concrete and wood with materials unlike that of the rest of the diner.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:33 AM
In the fallout shelter-
"Where are the guns, Hammond?" asked Horst.

"They're right over-" started Hammond, heading to a stack of crates and scratching his head. "They were right here."

"Well, I didn't move 'em," said Earl.

"You better not be bulls***ting me," snarled Horst. "Make with the guns fast, or I'm gonna hafta play This Little Piggy some more."

Hammond swallowed, sweating bullets.

Flip and Horst both noticed a set of footprints and drag marks leading to a ratty old curtain at the far end of the room. "There's a lot of footprints," said Flip. "Some of them are real recent. Whoever made them was real heavy - or carrying something heavy."

"I hear screaming," said Mutt. "It's faint, but coming from far below. Moaning too."

"Yeah, I hear it," said Horst. "Hammond, you got a girl down here somewhere?"

"That scream sounds very familiar to me. That's Kerry! She screamed just like that when I...you know..."

Horst rounded on Hammond, pistol in one hand and cigar cutter in the other. "You better explain this. Fast."
OOC,[b]Hammond[/b]'s Listen roll (70% skill) in the shelter: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Hammond[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) in the shelter: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Earl[/b]'s Listen roll (25% base skill) in the shelter: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Earl[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) in the shelter: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Rosie[/b]'s Listen roll (60% skill) in the shelter: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Rosie[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) in the shelter: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Ashley[/b]'s Listen roll (50% skill) in the shelter: [dice]6[/dice] [b]Ashley[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (30% skill) in the shelter: [dice]7[/dice] [b]Horst[/b]'s Listen roll (25% base skill) in the shelter: [dice]8[/dice] [b]Horst[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) in the shelter: [dice]9[/dice] [b]Flip[/b]'s Listen roll (36% skill) in the shelter: [dice]10[/dice] [b]Flip[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (37% skill) in the shelter: [dice]11[/dice] [b]Buzz[/b]'s Listen roll (49% skill) in the shelter: [dice]12[/dice] [b]Buzz[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (51% skill) in the shelter: [dice]13[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Listen roll (56% skill) in the shelter: [dice]14[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (54% skill) in the shelter: [dice]15[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Flip listens carefully for any sort of clue as to what these fuckers were going on about.

He eyes everyone suspiciously but tries to keep as little eye contact with Horst as possible.

Never stare down the alpha dog, lessen you be thinkin' you the alpha dog Nigey! Pops used to say after he had a few fingers and he wasn't swinging that fire-poker round at mum and me brothers no more.

Flip smiled a lopsided nervous grin at Horst.

Somethin' down there Boss? You think we should check out the pumps? See if the boys are OK?

The idea of investigating whatever made those heavy prints chilled Flip to the bone. He was no coward though and would do as Horst told.
Last edited by DSIGFUSS on Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Max[/b] didn't come down here. He's in another thread.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

OOC,I read Buzz and Mutt wrong. My bad. I'll edit
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:34 AM
In the fallout shelter-
Hammond spoke quickly, as if his life - or at least his remaining fingers - depended on it. They probably did. "Look, me and Earl found these two girls deep down in this place," he said. "I dunno how they got in, we just locked 'em up."

"One a blonde, and the other girl black?" asked Buzz.

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"Cause two girls escaped from us a few days back somehow. They must have gone through the tunnels. I bet they connect to this place."

"Yeah, you must be right. Anyway, it's obvious what's happened. Someone's been here before us, and they took the guns downstairs past the curtain."

"Makes sense," said Horst. "But who knew about them, or about this place?"

"Well, Rita."

"Nah, we left her back up top," said Buzz.

"Maybe someone on our staff has been snooping around. I never did trust those mechanics, or maybe it's that shady Injun girl Lynne."

"Had to be more than just one person to carry those heavy guns," said Horst, "but we better get after them."

"And fast," said Mutt, cocking an ear and lowering his voice. "People are coming down from above."

"Right, let's go. Keep the girls in front." Horst gestured to Flip to grab Rosie and come with him. He pulled the curtain aside to reveal stairs descending even deeper into this hellhole and led the way down, wrapping an arm around Ashley's waist and keeping his pistol on her. Rosie walked in front of Flip. Hammond and Earl followed, with Buzz and Mutt as rear guards again. Buzz shut the curtain behind them.

As they descended, there were two blasts audible even from far above. "Now that was the gas pumps," said Buzz. Hammond swallowed.
OOC,[b]Hammond[/b]'s Fast Talk roll (65% skill) to convince [b]Horst[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Everyone, please roll Listen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Flip gives Rosie a hard shove and gestures with his gun to keep moving.

He smiles mischieviously.

Keep movin yah Slag! Like the boss says!

Listen,[dice=total]0[/dice] Listen check Fail.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:35 AM
In the fallout shelter-
The skinheads and their hostages had gone down one flight of stairs so far, reaching a landing beyond which they kept going down. The temperature had dropped since they had started descending.

"I'm moving, there's no need to get rough!" protested Rosie loudly and indignantly. "Ain't I always been nice to you, Flip?"

"Quiet," hissed Horst. "There's people at the bottom of these stairs, and I hear them prying open the crates. We have to hurry." He quickened his pace, pulling Ashley with him. The second landing was just ahead, and the stairs continued down beyond it.
OOC,[b]Hammond[/b]'s Listen roll (70% skill) on the stairs: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Earl[/b]'s Listen roll (25% base skill) on the stairs: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Rosie[/b]'s Listen roll (60% skill) on the stairs: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Ashley[/b]'s Listen roll (50% skill) on the stairs: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Horst[/b]'s Listen roll (25% base skill) on the stairs: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Buzz[/b]'s Listen roll (49% skill) on the stairs: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Listen roll (56% skill) on the stairs: [dice]6[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Flip didn't like the sound of that but he was and always will be a follower. It just so happened that Hurst was pulling his strings at the moment.

Flip tried to quicken the pace but he always made sure that the dotty bird was in front of him.
ooc,Flip is scared out of his mind and scanning everything in front as much as possible. spot hidden check if you need it. If not then please disregard the roll.
ooc,[dice=total]0[/dice] spot hidden check - FAIL
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:36 AM
In the fallout shelter-
Everyone continued to follow the footprints lower, noting that there was some old wiring throughout the facility. However, at the end of the long stairs going down, they found a gate with a padlock. The foot trails went under the gate and continued further, which Buzz pointed out to everyone. At this point everyone could hear the screams and the moans, coming from somewhere beyond the gate.

"I heard something else beyond the gate," whispered Buzz. "People were moving in there, away from us."

"Right, get this gate open," said Horst to Hammond. "Where's the key?"

"I haven't got it," he said.

"You better come up with it if you value your fingers."
OOC,As it happens, I was about to ask for a Spot Hidden roll anyway, so I'll gladly take that one. Everyone may roll Psychology. The base skill is 5%. [b]Hammond[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) at the gate: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Earl[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) at the gate: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Rosie[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) at the gate: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Ashley[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) at the gate: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Horst[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) at the gate: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Buzz[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (51% skill) at the gate: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (54% skill) at the gate: [dice]6[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Flip shakes his head not liking the notion of being at the bottom of these stairs swith a locked door at the bottom. He pushes the barrel of his gun past the others and holds it right against the padlock.

Oh Bollox to this. Out a my way yah slag!

Flip pulls the trigger.
ooc,[dice=total]0[/dice] psychology roll- FAIL
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:37 AM
In the fallout shelter-
The pistol shot had the desired effect, and the padlock was blown to bits, leaving the gate to swing open. "Nice," said Horst, leading the way through the gate, dragging his hostage at gunpoint. "Let's get those guns." The others followed.
OOC,[b]Hammond[/b]'s Fast Talk roll (65% skill) to convince the skinheads: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Flip[/b]'s Handgun roll (31 x 2 = 62% skill) shooting the lock: [dice]1[/dice] Damage to lock: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Horst[/b]'s Psychology roll (5% base skill) about [b]Hammond[/b]: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Buzz[/b]'s Psychology roll (5% base skill) about [b]Hammond[/b]: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Mutt[/b]'s Psychology roll (5% base skill) about [b]Hammond[/b]: [dice]4[/dice]
In the corridor-
Just past the gate, the corridor rounded a corner to the left. The screams were clearer now. No doubting them. There were human screams. And something else. The moaning and hunger of something not quite human anymore.
Near the gate was an open switch box on the wall with a lever and three signs, one above another. The top one said: 'Welcome to the Geronimo Federal Detention Center. Use of Deadly Force is Authorized.' The middle one said that the facility was built in 1953 by the Department of Defense and the U.S. Bureau of Prisons. The bottom one said: 'Reminder - This is a TOP SECRET facility of the U.S. Government. Failure to abide by all TOP SECRET protocols is subject to felony prosecution and imprisonment.'” The hallway was lined with tiles, and they went down at an incline toward a closed door at the bottom of the low slope.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Flip held out a hand to Horst's chest protectively.

Stay back Boss! Let me check it out...

Now, completely ignoring his hostage, Flip inches his head around the corner to try and get a better look at what was happening.
Last edited by DSIGFUSS on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the corridor-
The corridor was clear, and the only other exit was the closed door at the end.
Flip,I think you meant [b]Horst[/b]. [b]Earl[/b] is one of the bosses of the truck stop. He and [b]Hammond[/b] do business with the PMS, though [b]Horst[/b] realized that [b]Hammond[/b] at least has tried to double-cross him by withholding the guns for which he has already paid.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:38 AM
In the corridor-
"Keep moving, it's clear," said Horst. Everyone proceeded down the sloping hall to the door at the end, where Horst opened it, using Ashley as a shield. There was nobody in the room beyond.

In the reception office-
The group proceeded down into the reception office. A doorway at the back of the office led down the hallway to another closed door. There were two other doors on each side of the hallway. The reception office contained a desk, bare bookcases, and filing cabinets.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

ooc,Yes I meant Horst. changed Earl to Horst.
Flip's shakey voice betrays his lack of confidence.

Where'd they go! They were just here. I heard em boss.

Flip now grabs his own hostage he had been nudging along with his pistol and uses her as a human shield just like Horst.

Now with a human shield in tow, Flip makes hastily for the door to the right and points with his gun.

Open it! Now you dotty bird!!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:39 AM
In the reception office-
"They can't be far," whispered Horst. "Keep the noise down." Everyone proceeded into the short hallway.

In the short hallway-
Flip dragged Rosie over to the first of the two doors on the right, which was actually open already. They passed through the open doorway into a large staff room. Buzz stepped into the open doorway on the left, into a mess hall and kitchen area.

In the staff room-
There were eighteen bunks, as well as lockers and tables. To the left was an open doorway leading to a large bathroom, in which Flip and Rosie could see showers and toilet stalls. No noise was coming from that direction, though the only way to verify that nobody was hiding in there was to check.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Flip pushes Rosie aside and moves quickly to stalls tired of the slow moving human shield.

You stay here/ Don't move you hear!!

He systematically begins to kick open each stall pointing his gun into the unknown space as he does so.

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Beginning of the End”