IC-Highway to Hell(Randall/David/Tisha/Willie/Felice)

The dead have begun to rise, but they are not the only problem. A small group of survivors at a truck stop in southwestern Nebraska must contend not only with zombies, but with internal division, a nearby group of heavily-armed skinhead survivalists, and even more horrifying dangers. Can they overcome their differences and survive, or will they join the ranks of the living dead?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: IC-Highway to Hell(Randall/David/Tisha/Willie/Felice)

Post by Silver Priest »

Desperation fuels Tisha, and she tries to climb up to join David.
Climb 40,[dice]0[/dice] :cry: Really hope she avoids falling into the hoard of things that want to eat her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:39:36 AM
On the highway-
As the fast one smashed through the windshield, David hauled Tisha up through the driver's door at the top with astounding ease and placed her next to him, out of harm's way - for now. Willie and Randall hastily tried to extricate themselves from their seatbelts so they could also climb out, but the red-eyed fiend attacked Randall first. He could not avoid the attack in the tight confines of the cab, and it chewed off his ear! He screamed in agony, yet somehow he was still alive and conscious. Then the two slower ones reached the front of the cab, and there were more closing in behind them.

Felice unbuckled her belt and quickly hauled herself through the door and onto the driver's side, which was now on top, drawing her pistol in one fluid motion. The two infected people reached the car and grasped feebly for her legs, which David couldn't help notice were as gorgeous as the rest of her.
OOC,[b]Felice[/b]'s Climb roll (40% base skill) trying to get out of her car again: [dice]0[/dice] [b]David[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) on top of the truck: [dice]1[/dice] [b]David[/b]'s Idea roll (55% stat) on top of the truck: [dice]2[/dice] Resistance Table roll: [b]David[/b]'s STR 14 vs. [b]Tisha[/b]'s SIZ 13 (55% chance) trying to pull her out of the truck: [dice]3[/dice] Who does the runner attack? (1=[b]Willie[/b], 2=[b]Randall[/b]): [dice]4[/dice] Bite attack (30% chance) on [b]Randall[/b]: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Randall[/b]'s Dodge roll (26% base skill) to avoid the bite: [dice]7[/dice] [b]Randall[/b]'s Parry roll (65% skill) to block the bite with his baseball bat: [dice]8[/dice] Hit location on [b]Randall[/b]: [dice]9[/dice] Damage to [b]Randall[/b]: [dice]10[/dice] Grapple attack (25% chance) on [b]Randall[/b]: [dice]6[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Tisha looks at David with obvious gratitude. "Thanks, you just saved my life!" She decides if she does survive this she'd most likely sleep with him. She was at the point now where she'd hardly regret it.

But they were still in an incredibly dangerous situation, and she knew she needed to do something. For now, her only goal was getting Willie to safety. She leaned down and spoke to her cameraman. "C'mon Willie! You have to hurry!" She reaches down to support him if he needs it. As for Randall, it was far too late for him-- but her instincts had told her he wasn't going to make it to the base anyway. All they could do now is use the distraction he had provided for them and hope it was a quick death.
Str Roll,I think this would be 55% based on the one helping Tisha, but could be wrong. [dice]0[/dice]
"Help me David!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:39:48 AM
On the highway-
"Any time, babe," said David with a wide grin. He bent down to help Tisha pull Willie out of the truck as the cameraman scampered up, not needing their aid after all, fear and adrenaline spurring him out of harm's way. Randall was not so lucky. After the fast one did its Mike Tyson impression on him, the two slower ones followed it into the cab and began to feast, one of them ripping open the poor man's stomach with its teeth so that his entrails spilled loose. With one final scream, Randall fell unconscious at last and began to bleed out onto the passenger side window, now flat against the asphalt. Two more of the infected arrived at the front of the truck, with another three coming from the north.

Realizing that she was outnumbered and not high enough to evade their grasp as those on the truck were, Felice slid down the hood of her car, relying on her speed to make a break for the truck. However, she was not fast enough. While one of the two infected after her tripped over itself and fell flat on its face, the other intercepted her and grasped for her. Fortunately, she managed to elude it and sprinted for the fallen truck, still gripping her gun. "Help!" she shrieked.
OOC,[b]Willie[/b]'s Climb roll (40% base skill) to get out of the truck: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s DEX x 5 roll (80% stat) to avoid the zombies: [dice]1[/dice] Walker #1's Bite attack (30% chance) on [b]Randall[/b]: [dice]2[/dice] Walker #1's Grapple attack (25% chance) on [b]Randall[/b]: [dice]3[/dice] Walker #2's Bite attack (30% chance) on [b]Randall[/b]: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Randall[/b]'s Dodge roll (26% base skill) to avoid the Bite: [dice]7[/dice] Hit location of Bite attack: [dice]14[/dice] Damage to [b]Randall[/b]: [dice]6[/dice] Walker #2's Grapple attack (25% chance) on [b]Randall[/b]: [dice]5[/dice] Walker #8's Bite attack (30% chance) on [b]Felice[/b]: [dice]8[/dice] Walker #8's Grapple attack (25% chance) on [b]Felice[/b]: [dice]9[/dice] Walker #9's Bite attack (30% chance) on [b]Felice[/b]: [dice]10[/dice] Walker #9's Grapple attack (25% chance) on [b]Felice[/b]: [dice]11[/dice] Runner's Grapple attack (25% chance) on [b]Randall[/b]: [dice]12[/dice] Runner's Bite attack (30% chance) on [b]Randall[/b]: [dice]13[/dice] Everyone may roll Idea and Spot Hidden. The base skill for Spot Hidden is 25%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Nice of you to join us, Willie." Tisha jokes, but it's clear from the relief on her face that she'd very glad her cameraman made it up here. The screams down there made it very clear that Randall would not be joining them-- and this made getting her video to the military more important. The world needed to know how brave he was.

Seeing Felice come towards them and narrowly escape death, she frowns. She's no fan of the other woman and still does not quite trust her, but no one deserves that fate. If she can do it without putting herself at risk, she reaches down and tries to help her climb up.
Idea 65%,[dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden 35%,[dice]1[/dice] Not sure what the exact roll is to help Felice up, but I'll roll that as well. [dice]2[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:40 AM
On the highway-
"Thanks," said Willie, running with Tisha and David to the rear of the truck, dashing across the side of the trailer that was now on top. Behind them, they could hear the horrible chewing sounds from the cab.

"We have to get back to the on-ramp and get off this highway!" Willie added. "There's more of them in front of us than behind us, and there will be still more coming from Cheyenne, which is the way we were going. If we get off the highway, we can follow it from below. There's no roads down there, but now that we're on foot, we don't need to stay on the roads. At least we're not terribly far from the base at this point. We can make it on foot. We just have to do something about those two in our way."

"Give me my gun, darling, and I'll keep them off her back," said David to Tisha. "You two can pull her up when she gets here."

Behind the truck, Felice sprinted across the open ground, the two infected slowly pursuing her. The one that had fallen had now regained its feet, but it was a distance behind the others. She hadn't quite reached the rear of the truck yet, but she would soon.
OOC,[b]David[/b]'s Idea roll (55% stat) on top of the truck: [dice]0[/dice] [b]David[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) on top of the truck: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Willie[/b]'s Idea roll (50% stat) on top of the truck: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Willie[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (43% skill) on top of the truck: [dice]3[/dice] Everyone but [b]Felice[/b], please roll Sanity for [b]Randall[/b]'s death. Sanity loss is 0/1D6, so you lose no Sanity if you succeed but 1D6 if you fail. If you lose at least 5 Sanity, please roll Idea as well. If you succeed at that roll, you go temporarily insane. Otherwise, you may act freely.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

San 47%,[dice]0[/dice] Possible loss [dice]1[/dice] Idea 65 [dice]2[/dice] Phew! Though I think she may still be indefinitely insane. :cry: I think she's lost just 10 san in the last hour, so she may [i]just[/i] miss it. [i]Fingers crossed.[/i]
Tisha's going to say something, but the last shrill desperate scream of Randall hits her at that moment, and she finds words flee her. She couldn't help but suspect she had been responsible for his death. She had recruited him to join them on this assignment-- maybe if she hadn't he'd still be safe back at the truck stop. Or maybe she could have done more for him now, rather than already having given up on him. It's all she can do to avoid breaking down and sobbing

But she forces down her guilt and retains control, and hands the gun over to David, before considering Willie's plan.

'I guess it makes sense. I wish we could find another car in working condition. If these things attack us on foot, we'll have no protection. But you know this area better than any of us, Willie. If you think we can make it on foot, I guess we'll have to try. I sure didn't come this far to die now." She nods to herself as if lost in thought and appears resolute, before reaching down to help Felice up.
Mr.Handy,Happy holidays to you if you celebrate. Thanks for running this game and all the hard work you put into it, it's probably my favorite one I'm in now, and I don't even like zombies. Here's hoping all my characters survive until the next year and beyond. ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, you just barely avoided going indefinitely insane. I've timestamped every Sanity loss so I can tell at a glance, which is something I should have done the first time I ran this. Of course, if you lose 1 more Sanity by 11:28, you will go indefinitely insane. Fortunately, you've already lost the maximum from encountering zombies and for people dying, so you can't lose any more for those particular reasons for a while.
Silver Priest,Thank you, and to you as well. You're welcome, and I'm glad you're enjoying the game. It's as much fun to run it as it is to play, though it is a lot of work. Good luck keeping your characters alive. You're going to need it! ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:40:24 AM
On the highway-
David gripped the pistol in both hands and fired at the man in front who was stumbling after Felice, but his shot went wide. Out of breath, she finally reached the truck. He fired again to cover her, but once more he missed. She slipped her gun into her purse and scrambled up the rear of the truck, not even needing Tisha and Willie's help. She exhaled with relief as she reached the top and stood next to them. David fired again, this time barely striking the man's shoulder. He didn't even flinch when the bullet hit him and just kept on walking forward. He would reach the back of the truck soon, and the other infected man was not far behind him.
OOC,[b]David[/b]'s Handgun roll (61% skill) shooting at the lead zombie: [dice]0[/dice] [b]David[/b]'s Handgun roll (61% skill) shooting at the lead zombie, second round, shot 1 of 2: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Climb roll (40% base skill) trying to climb onto the truck: [dice]2[/dice] [b]David[/b]'s Handgun roll (61% skill) shooting at the lead zombie, second round, shot 2 of 2: [dice]3[/dice] Hit location on lead zombie: [dice]4[/dice] Damage to lead zombie: [dice]5[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Tisha bites her tongue to keep from snapping at David and his lousy aiming. "We only have so much ammo. Try to make those shots count.

She makes room for Felice, glad she made it. "At least we're safe up here, for the moment. But the question is how we get down. We'll need to deal with those two, and I also noticed one of them who was moving extremely fast; I don't want to risk going on foot without putting him down. Finally, it sounds like Randall's dead. If this is like the other ones we saw, he won't remain so for long. And once he gets back up the ones eating him right now will lose interest. Right now, I think we need to try and kill every one around us now and hope we have enough ammo for it-- that should at least clear a path for us to get off this highway safely before any other are attracted by the noise. We can figure out our next move from there."

She awaits the others response.

Of course, Tisha was also worried after seeing these things that maybe there was no way to put them down for good. In which case, things were dire. But she knew better than to say this out loud. If they were going to survive this they needed to believe they still had a chance.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:40:36 AM
On the highway-
"I'm tryin', babe," said David.

"Grazie," said Felice, gasping for breath as she fished her gun out of her purse. "Those men chase me, almost get me!"

"Hard to blame 'em," said David, lining up his next shot. "You are smoking hot."

"Grazie...I think."

"We gotta take down those two as fast as possible, yeah," said Willie, "but I don't think we can take on all the ones at the cab. We have to use the distraction Randall's providing while it lasts and get out. The fast one will catch up to us, but I'm hoping we can take him down when he pursues us. Then we just have to outrun the slow ones. We don't have much more time. Once they come out of the cab and surround us, we'll be like people on a lifeboat in a sea full of sharks."

David aimed for the center of mass, his first shot hitting the lead man hard in the chest. He didn't even slow down. Felice fired a shot, but it went very wide. Then David fired again, winging his target in the side. "Why won't he go down?!" he complained. "It's like he's hopped up on PCP or something. He doesn't realize he's supposed to be dead." The red-eyed man with three of David's bullets in him reached the rear of the truck and reached in vain for those on top. The other one wasn't far behind.
OOC,[b]David[/b]'s Handgun roll (61% skill) shooting at the lead zombie, third round, shot 1 of 2: [dice]0[/dice] Hit location on lead zombie: [dice]1[/dice] Damage to lead zombie from 9mm bullet: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Handgun roll (45% skill) shooting at the lead zombie, third round: [dice]3[/dice] [b]David[/b]'s Handgun roll (61% skill) shooting at the lead zombie, third round, shot 2 of 2: [dice]4[/dice] Hit location on lead zombie: [dice]5[/dice] Damage to lead zombie from 9mm bullet: [dice]6[/dice] Shots at the lead zombie are now point blank, which doubles effective skill when shooting at it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"That one David's shooting at just took 3 shots and is still up," Tisha points out. "I don't think we have much of a chance at taking down one running at us."

"I don't think shots on the chest or shoulder are effective," She tells David after observing his work. "But the thing must have a weak point. Keep firing!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:40:48 AM
On the highway-
Felice fired again, this time hitting the man square in the chest. It was a powerful shot, but he remained standing. "Maybe he wears bulletproof vest," she suggested.

David shot him in the right leg. The man should have been dead, and certainly should have been on the ground. He didn't even seem to notice. "Nope," he said. "That ain't it."

Felice fired again, putting a bullet right in the man's brain, and this time he went down. "Si!" she shouted triumphantly. "You have to hit them in the head!"

"I could kiss you." David tried to shoot the second man, who had just reached the back of the truck. The gun made no noise. "Damn, why'd it have to jam now?!"
OOC,[b]Felice[/b]'s Handgun roll (45% x 2[point blank] = 90% skill) shooting at the lead zombie, fourth round, shot 1 of 2: [dice]0[/dice] Hit location: [dice]1[/dice] Damage from 9mm bullet: [dice]2[/dice] [b]David[/b]'s Handgun roll (61% x 2[point blank] = 122% skill) shooting at the lead zombie, fourth round, shot 1 of 2: [dice]3[/dice] Hit location: [dice]6[/dice] Damage from 9mm bullet: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Handgun roll (45% x 2[point blank] = 90% skill) shooting at the lead zombie, fourth round, shot 2 of 2: [dice]4[/dice] Hit location: [dice]7[/dice] Damage from 9mm bullet: [dice]8[/dice] [b]David[/b]'s Handgun roll (61% x 2[point blank] = 122% skill) shooting at the second zombie, fourth round, shot 2 of 2: [dice]9[/dice] Shooting at a zombie's head requires using precision aim, which means you can only fire once per round, and it also halves your skill. The second zombie is at point blank range, which doubles your skill, so those will cancel each other. [b]David[/b] cannot fire in the coming round, as he has to try to clear the jam. Only [b]Felice[/b] may shoot. Everyone, please roll Listen and Spot Hidden. The base skill for both is 25%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Hell, I could kiss you," Tisha adds. "Nice work."

Then she groans in frustration as David's gun jams. "Damn it! Fix that gun or we're all screwed-- and not in the fun way!"
Spot Hidden 35,[dice]0[/dice]
Listen 45%,[dice]1[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:41 AM
On the highway-
Felice stood with her legs spread, her pistol in both hands and taking careful aim at the second man's head. She fired, and her bullet creased its scalp, but it did not fall. However, its movements did seem slower.

"Yeah!" cheered David. "Do it again!" Unfortunately, he was so distracted that he wasn't able to clear the jam in his own gun yet. However, he did take a look around and noticed something else. "We're running out of time. More of them are climbing out of that pileup to the south, and if we don't hurry, they'll cut us off from the ramp. There's a whole passel of them coming from the north, too. It'll be a while before they get here, though. Oh, crap! They're coming out of the cab and around the sides of the truck!"
OOC,[b]David[/b]'s Listen roll (25% base skill) on the truck: [dice]0[/dice] [b]David[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) on the truck: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Willie[/b]'s Listen roll (35% skill) on the truck: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Willie[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (43% skill) on the truck: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Listen roll (25% base skill) on the truck: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) on the truck: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Handgun roll (45% / 2[head shot] x 2[point blank] = 45% skill) shooting at the zombie's head: [dice]6[/dice] Damage to zombie's head, 9mm bullet: [dice]7[/dice] [b]David[/b]'s Handgun roll (61% skill) trying to clear the jam: [dice]8[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Tisha curses in frustration as the zombie remained up. Her mood does not improve by David's news.

"That last shot looked like it slowed the one down-- should we just try and run for it? I think we're faster than everyone except for the runner, but I don't see it now. If we're quick we might be able to get away before he's finished his meal. If not, we'll have to try and shoot it and hope for the best. Equally though, I don't want to go down there if there's a chance one of these things can bite us-- I suspect that's game over."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:41:12 AM
On the highway-
"It's too late to go down there now, they're already out and heading our way!" said David. No sooner had he spoken than the fast one raced alongside the toppled truck and reached the back. There were seven other slower ones coming around both sides.

Felice fired again, and the man was hit in the head once more. He dropped to the ground, but he was still crawling.

"Wow!" said Willie. "Remind me not to mess with you."

David began to clear the jammed bullet from his pistol.
OOC,[b]Felice[/b]'s Handgun roll (45% / 2[head shot] x 2[point blank] = 45% skill) shooting at the zombie's head, round 1: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to zombie's head, 9mm bullet: [dice]2[/dice] [b]David[/b]'s Handgun roll (61% skill) trying to clear the jam, round 1: [dice]1[/dice] Rounds to unjam the pistol: [dice]3[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Tisha's glad to see another one go down, although it still moving was a problem. Still, it would be a heck of a lot easier to outrun a crawling zombie than one that could still walk.

As she looks at the crowd assembling, she considers their options. "Target the fast one first," she urges. "Then we need to focus on making a path for us and hoping we have enough ammo. We may not be able to get off the expressway before others block us in, in which case we may have to run for one of the vehicles around here and hope one of them still works. At the worst case scenario, we'll need to try a running jump and make a break for it, but I don't want to consider that unless there's no other option."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:41:24 AM
On the highway-
Felice turned to fire at the head of the fast-moving infected person, but the bullet whizzed overhead. Seven more slower ones also approached the back of the truck, but Randall for whatever reason wasn't among them. Maybe he had stayed dead.

"Good thinking," said Felice. "See how the follow us?" David and Willie nodded. "We should go to front of truck, and they follow us there. Then we kill fast one, run to back of truck, and get down before they come."
OOC,[b]David[/b]'s Idea roll (55% stat) on top of the truck: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Willie[/b]'s Idea roll (50% stat) on top of the truck: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Idea roll (70% stat) on top of the truck: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Handgun roll (45% skill / 2[head shot] x 2[point blank] = 45% skill) shooting at the fast zombie's head, round 2: [dice]3[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Tisha nods, Felice's words offering her a sense of hope and calmness. She's glad they kept the woman around, despite how much she distrusted her(and despite how much she still does.)

"Let's do that then." She moves forward, making noise as she does so to show she was a moving target.

"I don't see Randall down there," she says once she's moved. "He was pretty beat up, so he might have stayed dead. But we need to remain vigilant just in case." But she did hope he remained dead. Not just due to practicality, but because he did not deserve that. Not when they couldn't even save him.

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Beginning of the End”