IC-Highway to Hell(Randall/David/Tisha/Willie/Felice)

The dead have begun to rise, but they are not the only problem. A small group of survivors at a truck stop in southwestern Nebraska must contend not only with zombies, but with internal division, a nearby group of heavily-armed skinhead survivalists, and even more horrifying dangers. Can they overcome their differences and survive, or will they join the ranks of the living dead?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Highway to Hell(Randall/David/Tisha/Willie/Felice)

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:41:48 AM
On the highway-
Everyone ran to the front of the truck, David still working on his pistol as he moved, and the zombies pursued them. The runner kept up with them easily, but the slower ones took longer to reach them, and the crawling one was now only halfway to the front of the truck. From here anyone who wanted to could look into the cab. Felice shot the fast one in the head, and it fell, motionless.
OOC,[b]Felice[/b]'s Handgun roll (45% skill / 2[head shot] x 2[point blank] = 45% skill) shooting at the fast zombie's head, round 4: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to fast zombie's head, 9mm bullet: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Great shot!" says Tisha.

She knows she needs to look down and confirm Randall's condition, but is not sure she can bare to look at him. Hearing his death screams had shaken her, and seeing his body torn to shreds-- or worse, him moving around and looking at them with that terrible stare-- might ruin what little self control she had left. So instead she looks to Willie, hating to have to ask her friend this.

"Do you think you can check on Randall and make sure he's dead? We need to make sure there's no one else in the cab before we make a break for it. I'd do it myself but..." she trails off, hoping he knows her well enough to know she'd not ask unless it was really important.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:42 AM
On the highway-
"Grazie," said Felice.

Willie glanced down through the shattered driver's side window and went visibly green. "Yeah, he's not getting back up," he said. "There's...not enough left of him."

"We need to go now!" said David. Everyone ran to the back of the truck. The zombies gathered around it slowly began to make their way to the rear as well. David finished unjamming his pistol just as they reached the back.
OOC,[b]Willie[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 47) for seeing [b]Randall[/b]'s remains: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice] You may roll Jump to leap from the back of the truck if you wish. The base skill is 25%. If you fail, you will be injured, but you will not be in danger of the zombies reaching you before you can run away. Or you may lower yourself from the side of the truck and let go. There is no roll required, and there is no danger of injury from this. However, there is chance that the zombies will catch up to you and get to attack you before you get away from them, as this will take more time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Tisha feels relief, and hates herself for it. But she suspected that Randall himself would have preferred things this way.

"We have to jump!" She urges. "If any of them catch us we're dead anyway!"

She runs to the edge of the truck and makes a leap.
jump 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
She lands near perfectly, and looks around for any nearby vehicles that seem functional-- preferably if there are no zombies in the way.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:42:12 AM
On the highway-
Everyone got a running start and leapt from the back of the truck to the highway below. David, Tisha, and Felice all hit the ground running, desperation spurring them on, but Willie landed horribly behind them with a sickening crunch. His accumulated injuries finally caught up with him, and he lost consciousness. The crowd of seven slow zombies came around both sides of the truck, reaching the rear at the same time as the crawling one with two bullets in the head. They were making a beeline for Willie. In the near distance ahead was the on-ramp, the way out of this deathtrap. There were no vehicles other than Felice's overturned Porsche between them and it. The only ones within sight were in the pileup further south of the ramp. Another small mob was making their way north from it toward them. They still had enough time to reach the ramp before the infected got there, but any delays could prove fatal - literally.
OOC,[b]David[/b]'s Jump roll (25% base skill) leaping from the truck: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Willie[/b]'s Jump roll (25% base skill) leaping from the truck: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Jump roll (25% base skill) leaping from the truck: [dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Willie!" Tisha screams, immediately going back for him. She calls out to the others. "We can't leave him-- he's the only one who knows how to get to the base. Help me carry him!" She looks at them both but focuses on David, and gives him a look that tells him she will do anything for him if he helps her save the man she thinks of as a father.
Persuade 75%,[dice]0[/dice] Just throwing a random str roll in here for Tish to drag Willie to safety. Hopefully she's have help, but she will try regardless. [dice]1[/dice] :o With that roll I'm hoping she's able to carry him with one arm. :lol:
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:42:48 AM
On the highway-
Before David could react, Tisha had already reached Willie and effortlessly slung him over her shoulder in a fireman's carry. "Wow, you're strong!" he said. "Let's go, it'll be better if Felice and I have our hands free to shoot." The three of them, with Tisha carrying Willie and David swapping out his pistol's magazine for a fresh one, were able to move at full speed and reached the top of the ramp just in time. The horde from the south was only seconds away, and the horde from the north was not that much further.
OOC,There's no time for Persuade, so I'll count that as a Fast Talk roll, which succeeds. However, your critical success on Strength makes it unnecessary. You can carry [b]Willie[/b] by yourself without losing speed or tiring.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Even Tisha is surprised how easy it is for her to lift Willie-- but adrenaline does funny things,and she's not about to question it. She follows the others and starts down the ramp.

"Do either of you know the way to the base from here?" She asks. "Either way, we'll need to find someplace to lose our tail. I don't think I can carry him all the way there, but I don't want to stop until I know we're not being followed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:43 AM
On the road-
David and Felice followed Tisha down the ramp, their guns at the ready. "I know it's north," said David. "That's the way we were heading. We can follow the highway from below. We'll probably see it before much longer." They reached the bottom of the ramp. Above them, the two groups of zombies coalesced at the top of the ramp and began to filter down it.

"We must keep moving!" said Felice.
OOC,Everyone may roll Navigate. The base skill is 10%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Right, as fast as we can!" Tisha encouraged. "But keep an eye out for anymore of those runners-- we can outrun the rest of them, but I'm not sure about them. Especially with my load."
Navigate 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
"If none of us know where the base is, as soon as we lose the ones on our tail we can wake Willie up, hopefully he'll be able to tell us."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:44 AM
Below the highway-
From having listened to Willie's directions, Tisha knew that they needed to go north along the highway overhead and then west at the cloverleaf. Beyond that, she had no idea.

"Lose them?" said David as they started north, leaving the road and crossing open ground. "I don't even know if we can, but if we can get enough ahead of them, we can stop for a little to try to revive him."

Felice ejected her pistol's magazine and slapped in a fresh one as they moved. Glancing back, all of them could see the horde reach the bottom of the ramp behind them and start to head north after them.
OOC,[b]David[/b]'s Navigate roll (10% base skill) to find the route to the base: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Navigate roll (10% base skill) to find the route to the base: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"We go north along the highway, then west at the cloverleaf. After that, I'm not sure. But we may be able to see the base by then, hopefully-- it's gotta be rather big."

She keeps moving as fast as possible, looking back now and then to see if they're gaining ground on the zombies and how much.
ooc,When Tisa estimates they have a lead of about 5 minutes or so she plans to stop and try to get Willie awake.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:52 AM
Below the highway-
It took a while, but everyone ran about a mile to the north underneath the highway. Tisha was even strong enough to travel the whole distance while carrying Willie at her full speed. At this point the cloverleaf was overhead. The undead were still following them, about a third of a mile behind at this point. It would take them four minutes to catch up if they stopped here.
OOC,Everyone may roll Spot Hidden (the base skill is 25%) and First Aid (the base skill is 30%).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Before Tisha puts Willie down she looks around for any threats.
Spot Hidden 35%,[dice]0[/dice] Nice! I'll post the rest of my action now, but obviously if she notices a threat nearby I'd like to retcon this part out.
If she sees nothing in her immediate vicinity that looks like it will reach her or the others she gently places her cameraman down on the ground and tries to revive him.

"Time to wake up Willie. C'mon."
First Aid 30%,[dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Tisha,The only immediate threats [b]Tisha[/b] could see were on the highway above and the pack following them. There were numerous zombies on the cloverleaf milling around, generally moving from north to south. She also got a good look at their surroundings. A short distance to the north was a road paralleled by train tracks going northeast, the direction of Cheyenne, and southwest. The road had on and off ramps to the highway above. I-25 ran north and south, and I-80 ran east and west. She could even see the city and its suburbs, and there were more figures in the distance there, but they were far enough away that they could be avoided. Just beyond the road was a golf course. In the distance beyond that, two miles to the north, she could just make out the southern fence of what had to be Warren Air Force Base, which had an east-west road running alongside it to the south. There were actually two gates on that side too, but it looked like they were being battered by small crowds. South of the eastern gate was a high mountain which was just outside. [spoiler]Please roll 1D3 to see how many HP [b]Willie[/b] recovers. Please also roll Luck.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Look!" Tisha said and points. "There's the base! It's about two miles north, maybe, passed the golf course. Looks like their gates are being battered, but holding. Though how we'll get in is anybody's guess. We'll probably need to get closer to figure out the best approach."
Luck 55%,[dice]0[/dice] The most important roll, probably. Why do I have a bad feeling about this? Huh. No reason, apparently. :D Rolled first aid above, he recovered 1.:)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:53 AM
On the highway-
"I can see far," said Felice, "but not that far."

Willie gradually came to his senses and then his feet. "It hurts all over," he said, "but that lets me know I'm still alive. Thank you, Tisha. I thought I was a goner back there for sure. I can walk, but I can't take much more of this. A feather could knock me over. Good thing we're so close to the base. The east side is the worst, since that faces Cheyenne. The south side's a little better, but not much. I can barely see the fence from here. We need to get to the west side, so we'll have to head northwest from here."

The horde was now a quarter of a mile away.
OOC,[b]David[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) below the highway: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Willie[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (43% skill) below the highway: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) below the highway: [dice]2[/dice] Everyone may roll Idea.
Tisha,[b]Tisha[/b] could also see the southwest corner of the base perimeter now that [b]Willie[/b] pointed out where they needed to go. There was a small pedestrian entrance there, and that one did not seem to be under siege.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Surprising even herself, Tisha envelopes Willie in a hug once he opens his eyes. "You scared the hell out of me back there, Willie! Don't ever do that again."

Feeling slightly embarrassed, she draws back and collects herself. "If you think your wounds will slow you down, I can try carrying you again. You were pretty easy to carry when you were dead weight, so I think I'd be able to handle it." She looks over to the horizon when Willie points it out. "Hey, look. The southwest corner of the base seems to have some sort of side entrance-- and I don't see any zombies around it. If we can get to it without attracting any attention, that may be our way in!'
Idea 65%,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

10:54 AM
South of the base-
"Thanks, I can move fast enough now," said Willie, "especially with those things chasing us. Let's go!" The four of them headed off to the northwest as fast as they could. "I just hope the base's defenders don't mistake us for infected people running for the gate and shoot us dead!"
OOC,[b]David[/b]'s Idea roll (55% stat) about the base: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Willie[/b]'s Idea roll (50% stat) about the base: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Felice[/b]'s Idea roll (70% stat) about the base: [dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Tisha frowns; that was a good point."Do we have anything bright? I'm wondering if we could wave it over our heads-- hopefully that would let them know we're still people. Maybe one of us can remove our shirt if it's bright enough and the one in the lead can wave it around. I guess we could also fire off a few shots as we get near, but that's sure to attract more zombies our way."

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Beginning of the End”