IC-Breakfast(various)

The dead have begun to rise, but they are not the only problem. A small group of survivors at a truck stop in southwestern Nebraska must contend not only with zombies, but with internal division, a nearby group of heavily-armed skinhead survivalists, and even more horrifying dangers. Can they overcome their differences and survive, or will they join the ranks of the living dead?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: IC-Breakfast(various)

Post by Silver Priest »

Tony opened his mouth once more to protest, but the sound of screaming cut him off. He opens his wallet and throws a few twenties down on the table.

"Needless to say, we won't be back." That said, he tries to usher his family out of the diner.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Sean slowly lowers his gun, quietly relived he did not have to shoot the man. But he's equally sure he would have had it come to that.

His head snaps around as he hears the screaming, and he looks around at the skinheads still outside to gauge their reaction.

"Man's voice, from round the rear," he tells everyone, specifically looking at Baldwin. "Listen, I don't like it anymore than you, but we have a job to do."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"I'm just a zoologist," Samantha mutters as the screaming starts. Humans were so complicated; give her animals any day. "I think I'd like to leave now." She says to the skinhead on the door. "You carry on; I'm off to track my coyote, it's probably gone already." She picks up her guns, holds them non aggressively and walks towards the door.

Michael unlocks his car and climbs in, "Come on, Jenny, get in! Do you want to be caught in the crossfire? I'll call the police once we are on our way." He can't afford to get mixed up in whatever was going down; he had more important business this morning.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"I heard it." Jim replies to Sean. Then he whispers more quietly to him, "Sounds like the skin heads are here to get some guns. I don't think they want to shoot up the place."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Gary will hop out and help load the oil in the back of the truck. He'll keep his eyes on the skinhead's movements as best he can.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:27 AM
In front of the motel-
Jenny and Michael got in his car after he unlocked the doors.
OOC,[b]Jenny[/b] and [b]Michael[/b] are moving to the thread linked below:
Wake Up Call

In the parking lot-
Across the road at the motel, everyone could see Mr. Foo and Ellen Cody emerge from the front door. Mr. Foo was carrying a large submachine gun, and he had a sword in a scabbard on his belt.

The skinheads in the vehicles kept watching the diner, unaware of anything behind them at the motel. The sniper chuckled a little when he heard the screaming.

Samantha followed the Lathan family out of the diner's front door and into the parking lot. Scotty was still playing his video game as he was walking, not paying attention to his surroundings, but Bobby was looking at the motel. "Cool!" he said. "It's that old Chinese dude who owns the motel, and he's a got a machine gun and a sword! He's a total badass!"

Baldwin and Bob helped Gary load the first of three barrels of aviation fuel into the back of the truck. "They can do whatever they want to Hammond and Earl," said Baldwin. "They made their own bed, and now they can lie in it. It's the innocent people I worry about. Horst and his racist cohorts are worse than you can possibly imagine. They've been doing business with Hammond and Earl, and now it looks like they've had a falling out. Once they've got what they came for..all bets are off. There's nothing stopping them from taking whatever - or whoever - they want. All the fuel, all the food...it's a good thing we're getting out of here in my truck, or they'd grab that too, along with your chopper and avgas. All that stuff's better than gold now, and they know it. Don't you see the world has changed?"

"We need to work out who's going, and in which vehicles, and which route to take to Brownson," said Bo. "Best to do it now before the fuel's fully loaded, so we don't waste time. My cruiser holds five including me, and Baldwin will drive his truck. He can have two passengers in the cab."

"Stephanie and I shall go with you," Brigetta told Bo. "in the back seat."

Bob nodded. "I'll ride in the back with you, ladies," he said. "I only have a 9 mil. Someone with a better weapon should ride shotgun."

"I'll stay here and do what I can to protect people," said Kimberly.

"We could take I-80 to the east," said Bo. "That's the fastest route, but probably not the safest. The highway's a mess from what I heard on the radio. There's also Route 30, which is about a mile north of here and runs parallel to I-80. The dirt road over there leads to it, but we'd have to go past the skinheads to get there."
Jim Kerr,"Where?" asked [b]Horst[/b]. "Liquor closet!" cried [b]Hammond[/b]. "Trapdoor! They're in the crates marked pots and pans!" "You're gonna show me. Get up! We're all going there." "My finger! It moved!" "I saw it too!" [b]Flip[/b] shouted. "It doesn't matter, let's go," said [b]Horst[/b].
In the diner-
Right after Samantha and the Lathans left, Horst and Flip emerged from Hammond's office, followed by Earl, Rosie, and Ashley. Then Buzz and Mutt emerged, dragging Hammond, whose face had gone ashen. They headed for the door to the kitchen.
OOC,Everyone inside the diner may roll Spot Hidden. The base skill is 25%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Language, Bobby!" Tony scolds his son.

Oh great. Things are about to kick off here, and not in a good way. Has the whole world gone mad?

He tries to hustle his family to their vehicle, intending to get the heck out of here.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I know they're not saints," says Sean. "But we have a job to do. We need to get this virus or whatever it is under control, or society will fall apart and people like Horst will get to kill everyone they dislike."

As soon as he hears Brigetta is planning to go with Bo, he raises his hand. "'ll ride with you too. Watch your back. As for the route, I'm given to understand speed is of the essence, so we should take I-80. It's a risk, but we're not in a position where we can avoid them."
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"I'll ride with Baldwin and the fuel." Jim volunteers. "We haven't much time. Hammond is giving them the guns as we speak."
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"It looks like you're going to be full so once the fuel is loaded, I'll wish you good luck. I'm going to stay here and keep an eye out for danger with the skinheads. My car is working and gassed up so I'm good. Gary says to the others. "I threw in with Bo here but I can't just drive off and leave the people here. I got your back Kimberly."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the parking lot-
"How are we going to get to the car?" asked Cathy. "It's back in the motel parking lot, and those guys are between us and it."

"Well, Brownson's about three miles away," said Bob, "though it may take a bit more than three minutes to get there if there are delays. The chopper's due to get there in about eighteen minutes, but it'll be a few before we finish loading and can hit the road."
OOC,There is still room for one more person in the truck's cab, which holds three.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"We'll just have to hope they're as willing to let us pass as the ones inside were," Tony says. "Okay Cathy, kids. I need everyone to get behind me and hold your hands up in the air, like this." He demonstrates. " Scotty, you too, put the game away. We're going to walk very slowly and non threateningly past them. If any of them make any sudden movements or point their weapons at us, you immediately stop, alright?"

Having said this, he begins to lead his family back to the motel, very slowly so as not to alarm the armed men.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Samantha looks in amazed disgust as Mr Foo exits the motel with his odd weapons. These people are going crazy! She thinks. She doesn't want to follow the family with the snotty kids either.
She turns off and walks along the edge of the diner hoping to find a dumpster or something so she can climb on the roof away from all these people and look for her animal. She walks calmly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:28 AM
In the diner-
Emboldened by seeing Samantha and the Lathans leave unmolested, more people started to get up and head for the front doors.

"Why are you letting people out, Jeff?" demanded Horst as he neared the front.

"I didn't think-" started the skinhead with the M-16 by the front doors.

"No, you didn't. Nobody else leaves, got it?"

"Yes, Horst." He gulped and moved to block the front doors again, and people returned to their seats.

Horst and Flip led the way to the kitchen doors, but when they tried to swing them open, they found that a large table on its side was blocking it. They put their shoulders to the doors and used their considerably strength to push it aside.

In the parking lot-
Scotty reluctantly put the game on pause and followed his parents and brother toward the motel, their hands all in the air.

"I'm hungry," complained Bobby. "When are we gonna eat?"

"If they kill us," Cathy said through gritted teeth to Tony, "I'll never speak to you again."

Mr. Foo ducked back into the motel. The Lathans soon reached the dirt road. The skinheads looked at them, but they made no move to stop them or aim at them.

Samantha went in the other direction, to the east, rounding the corner toward the garage.

Baldwin, Gary, and Bob loaded the second barrel into the back of the truck.

"Thanks, Gary," said Kimberly. "I'm glad I'm not alone."

Bo got in the driver's seat of the State Police cruiser and unlocked the doors for the others. Stephanie and Brigetta slid into the back.
OOC,[b]Samantha[/b] is moving to the thread linked below:
Breakdown
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Maybe we can grab something at the motel," Tony tells his son. "They had vending machines there, right? And no one seems interested in that place. How bout it, kids? Candy for breakfast!"

"You already hardly speak to me now, honey," Tony shoots back at his wife, but quickly regrets it. "Sorry. Just, trust me, alright? And if they shoot anyone, I'm in front."

He continues to lead his family past the skinheads. Smiling broadly and exaggeratedly, he nods at one in greeting, doing his very best to ignore their weapons.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Sean gets into the passenger's side of Bo's cruiser.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Gary will help load the last barrel into the truck.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Jim will keep an eye on the skinheads from passenger seat in Baldwin's truck.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:29 AM
In the diner-
Horst and Flip finished muscling aside the table and pushed their way into the kitchen. Hammond, Earl, Rosie, and Ashley followed them, with Buzz and Mutt bringing up the rear. Hammond had recovered somewhat and was now able to walk on his own.

In the kitchen-
The kitchen was deserted. A steak was still cooking on the grill, having been left there unattended.

In the parking lot-
Bo started up the cruiser's engine and got on the radio. "This is Nebraska State Trooper Bo Richards, calling Erica Spears," he said.

"Roger that, Trooper," said Erica's voice on the radio. "I'm a little more than fifteen minutes out from Brownson now. I hope you'll be there soon."

"We're about to leave now. The last of the fuel's being loaded as we speak."

Baldwin, Bob, and Gary loaded the final barrel into the back of the rig, and Baldwin pulled the trailer shut.

"Yeah, there are vending machines!" said Bobby.

"Candy for breakfast!" cheered Scotty. "All right, Dad!"

A car from the motel parking lot drove past the skinheads' vehicles and headed north along the dirt road. The skinheads watched the Lathan family carefully as they passed, but once they were well past them, they returned their attention to the diner. The Lathans continued to the motel. Mr. Foo came out of the front door to meet them.
OOC,[b]Tony[/b], [b]Cathy[/b], [b]Bobby[/b], and [b]Scotty[/b] are moving to the thread linked below:
Wake Up Call
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Sean looks back at the women. "We'll get you to Omaha as fast as we can, Dr. Hausmann. Just stay calm. Things may get dicey out here; we don't know what the roads are like."

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Beginning of the End”