IC-Breakfast(various)

The dead have begun to rise, but they are not the only problem. A small group of survivors at a truck stop in southwestern Nebraska must contend not only with zombies, but with internal division, a nearby group of heavily-armed skinhead survivalists, and even more horrifying dangers. Can they overcome their differences and survive, or will they join the ranks of the living dead?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Breakfast(various)

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:31:36 AM
In the parking lot-
Baldwin shot wildly at Guzzmann, but he missed. Guzzmann returned fire, blowing off his left leg and killing him instantly. Baldwin fell backwards, not far from where Jim Kerr had taken cover. He wouldn't be driving the truck now.

Jeff was caught flatfooted, and Sean's rifle shot struck him in the heart and sent him sprawling flat on his back, blood gushing from his wound.

Gary pulled Kimberly around the corner of the garage, out of view.
OOC,[b]Baldwin[/b]'s Handgun roll (62% skill) shooting at [b]Guzzmann[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Guzzmann[/b]'s Shotgun roll (58% skill) shooting at [b]Baldwin[/b], close range: [dice]1[/dice] Hit location on [b]Baldwin[/b]: [dice]3[/dice] Damage to [b]Baldwin[/b], close range: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Jeff[/b]'s Dodge roll (32% base skill) to take cover from [b]Sean[/b]'s shot: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Jim[/b], please roll Sanity for seeing [b]Baldwin[/b] killed. Sanity loss is 1/1D4+1, but since you lost 1 Sanity already for something similar, you can lose a maximum of 4. Any loss of more than 4 counts as 4 instead.
In the diner-
"Damn, they killed Jeff!" cried the skinhead holding Azadeh.

"It's all gone to hell," snarled the one with Sally. "Fall back!" The two skinheads backed away from the front doors and out of sight from outside, taking their hostages with them.

On the highway-
"Oh my God!" exclaimed Stephanie.

"We need Wallace, now!" said Dr. Hausmann. "He's our only chance to get to Omaha."

"There's still one of them outside," said Bo. "It's not safe to go over to the garage yet."
OOC,Sean, please roll Sanity for seeing [b]Baldwin[/b] killed. Sanity loss is 1/1D4+1, but since you lost 3 Sanity already for something similar, you can lose a maximum of 2. A failed roll will cost you 2 Sanity no matter what.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Sanity 82 [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss 1
Jim is sad that Baldwin just died but he did it to himself so he can't feel too sorry for him. There's more important things to worry about yet, like how to stay alive and get the hell out of here. Jim is going to keep an eye on Baldwin just in case he "wakes up" and tries to crawl over to him.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

San46%,[dice]0[/dice]
Rifle 60%,[dice]2[/dice] THREE impales? Mr.Handy, I swear I am not fixing these dice rolls. :o damage[dice]1[/dice] Impale damage [dice]3[/dice] Location [dice]4[/dice]
Sean is also not too broken up over Baldwin's death. While he feels bad for the man, right now he is focused on eliminating the threat. "Let me just take care of this last one!" He fires another perfect shot.

"Everyone, stay alert! One of these guys already came back to life, so don't let your guard down!" He sees Jim has the same idea and nods approvingly at his friend.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:31:48 AM
In the parking lot-
The bullet struck Guzzmann in the groin.With an agonized scream, he fell dead right next to Jeff. Jeff had actually survived the shot somehow for several seconds, but with nobody to help him he too bled out and expired.

Jim crawled over and watched Baldwin, but the dead man showed no signs of movement - at least not yet.
OOC,[b]Guzzmann[/b]'s Dodge roll (29% skill) to take cover from [b]Sean[/b]'s shot: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Jim[/b], please roll Spot Hidden.
In the diner-
"Man, whadda we do?!" cried the skinhead holding Azadeh.

"I've got a plan," said the one with Sally. "Bring her and follow me. You too," he added to the skinhead in front of the kitchen doors. They retreated to the rear of the diner.
OOC,[b]Sally[/b] and [b]Azadeh[/b] are moving to the thread linked below:
Hostages

On the highway-
"Nice shooting!" said Bo. "Quick, get back in and I'll spin us over to the garage so we can get Wallace."
OOC,[b]Brigetta[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 51) for seeing [b]Baldwin[/b] killed messily: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Stephanie[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 88) for seeing [b]Baldwin[/b] killed messily: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Bob[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 67) for seeing [b]Baldwin[/b] killed messily: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Sean[/b], please roll Sanity for killing the skinheads. Sanity loss is 0/1D4. Also, everyone please roll Spot Hidden.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Spot Hidden 56 [dice]0[/dice]
Now that the shooting has stopped, at least briefly, the pain from the grenade shrapnel hits him. However, not willing to leave the truck, Jim continues to keep an eye out for trouble.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

San 45%,[dice]0[/dice] loss [dice]1[/dice]
Spot Hidden 39%,[dice]2[/dice]

Sean
tries to play it cool, but the fact that he had just killed three people weighs on him. Even if they were skinheads, he was pretty sure he was going to hear the scream and replay these images in his head for quite awhile. He tries to stop himself from shaking.

If only I hadn't fired that first shot. Baldwin would not have gotten out and gotten himself killed. Damn it, four people dead.

Bo brings him back to the present, and he yells back to him, his eyes not leaving the road. "Wait just one minute! One of these guys already got back up, and I need to make sure no one else is going to before it's safe." He keeps an eye on the corpses, waiting for the first sign of one of them moving.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:32 AM
In the parking lot-
Jim Kerr,[b]Jim[/b] could see that there was some commotion between the motel and the dirt road. The old Chinese man was being helped up and back toward the motel by the maid, with the [b]Lathan[/b] family close behind. The old Chinese woman was running as fast as she could move, which wasn't very fast, across the highway and toward the motel. On the highway across from diner, the police cruiser was stopped. [b]Sean[/b] was standing behind it, his rifle aimed across the roof toward the diner. The two skinheads lay motionless in front of the diner's front doors, and [b]Baldwin[/b] was also unmoving next to him. There may have been more happening that he couldn't see, but the building and the vehicles blocked his view. Then he glanced behind him and saw a small group of people on I-80 almost a mile to the east, slowly walking this way. [b]Mitchell[/b] had climbed up on the roof of the garage, and [b]Gary[/b] was again looking around the garage's corner.
On the highway-
"We're running out of minutes!" protested Brigetta. "That chopper can't wait!"

"We've got more trouble," said Bo. "Four of the skinheads just slipped out the back and making a run for their vehicles on the dirt road, two with pistols and two with shotguns. They've got two female hostages. And down I-80 to the east, I see some people almost a mile away slowly walking closer. At this rate they'll be here in about ten minutes. We may want to reconsider going that way to Brownson."

"I see 'em too," said Bob.
OOC,[b]Bo[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (56% skill) on the highway: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Brigetta[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) on the highway: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Stephanie[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (66% skill) on the highway: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Bob[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (70% skill) on the highway: [dice]3[/dice]
Trooper Bo Richards/Bob Larkin,Four skinheads were moving from the rear of the diner toward the vehicles on the dirt road with two female hostages. One of the skinheads with a pistol and one of the hostages had pulled ahead, and the other three skinheads, two with shotguns and one with a pistol and the other hostage, followed close behind. There was some commotion between the motel and the dirt road. The old Chinese man was being helped up and back toward the motel by the maid, with the [b]Lathan[/b] family close behind. The old Chinese woman was running as fast as she could move, which wasn't very fast, across the highway and toward the motel. On the highway across from diner, the police cruiser was stopped. [b]Sean[/b] was standing behind it, his rifle aimed across the roof toward the diner. The two skinheads lay motionless in front of the diner's front doors, and [b]Baldwin[/b] was also unmoving next to him. Then he glanced to the east and saw a small group of people on I-80 almost a mile away, slowly walking this way. [b]Mitchell[/b] had climbed up on the roof of the garage, and [b]Gary[/b] was again looking around the garage's corner.
In the diner-
"Is it safe to leave?" asked Alice, nervously.

"I don't know," said Bud. "I thought I heard something back there, but I'm not sure what."
OOC,[b]Alex[/b]'s Listen roll (25% base skill) in the diner: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Bud[/b]'s Listen roll (45% skill) in the diner: [dice]5[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Q

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Hey!" Jim yells over to Gary. "We need someone to drive the truck. Is there anyone in the garage that can help? It's vital!" He adds for emphasis.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Shit" Sean mutters. He hates to leave, especially while the skinheads have hostages and could still be a problem, but Dr. Hausmannwas right, and any further delay could prove fatal to their mission.

He gets back in the vehicle and reloads his rifle as Bo takes them to the garage. "Sorry I got you folks roped into this," he tells the scientists. "You said this other trucker is bitten? I hope we can convince him to help us, and he's not contagious."

"I still think we need to take I-80 if it's the fastest way, especially given the delay. But if you're not confident in getting us there in one piece I guess we have no choice." He tells Bo.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:32:24 AM
On the highway-
After Sean got back in the car, Bo turned back onto the parking lot. "Route 30 may not be safe either," he said. "We'd have to get past the skinheads to go that way."

In the diner-
"There are those guys who went into the kitchen," said Alex, "but they didn't come back out when the shooting started."

In the parking lot-
Jim kept watching the corpses, but none of them moved.

As Bo drove past the truck and was about to head for the garage, he saw Wallace come trudging over from around the corner. "Wallace!" he called. "We need your help. These scientists have to get to Omaha, it's urgent. Their helicopter is broken down, but there's a State Police helicopter heading our way to pick them up. It can't make it all the way here, so it's gonna land in Brownson. We have to bring the fuel out there. It's all packed in Baldwin's truck, but...he can't make it."

Wallace winced when he saw his friend's body - or what was left of it. "Man..." he said, shaking his head. "I'm not in such great shape myself, but these ladies patched me up and gave me something for the pain. I reckon I owe them one. It's only a few miles, anyway."
OOC,[b]Wallace[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 64) for seeing gruesome corpses: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Thank you sir," Sean nods in relief to Wallace. "You may be saving humanity here with your actions."

He turns to Bo and frowns. "In that case, I'd rather take I-80. At least these creatures don't have guns. I hope."
ooc,Sorry, I'm guessing Sean can't see the skinheads from here right ,they're out the back?
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by Leonulf »

Father Roger McCormick spoke up before moving out to the parking lot, "I can't say how safe it is yet to go outside, but I need to do something - Im not terrible at first aid, I will try and help any injured I can".

As Father McCormick enters the parking lot he calls out "Who's hurt? Let me help".
Last edited by Leonulf on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,If you failed your Spot Hidden roll, you don't see the skinheads. [b]Jim[/b] succeeded earlier, so I'll update him on what he saw. [b]Father Roger McCormick[/b], you've actually been inside the diner, not the parking lot. You can check the Locations and Weapons thread if you're ever unsure where you are. If you'd like to, you may move out into the parking lot this round and speak to the people there.
Jim Kerr,To the west, [b]Jim[/b] could see one of the skinheads with a pistol in one hand and his other around a woman's arm. They were running toward the van parked on the dirt road, and they were nearly there.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

OOC,ah my bad, I have re-written due to the misunderstanding. Thank you for your patience.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Jim is glad that it looks like the skinheads are leaving. He can't tell at this distance if the woman with the man is willingly leaving with him or is being forced to leave with him but at this point he can't do anything to interfere. He'll try to get up into the truck if he can do so while still staying under cover from being shot. Hopefully, someone who can drive truck will get here soon.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Dr Haussmann winds down her window in the cruiser and shouts over to Jim and Wallace, "Get on that rig now! We've got to go!" She sits back exasperated, "Standing there gossiping like fishwives. Bo," how many minutes left until the rendezvous?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:32:36 AM
In the parking lot-
Father Roger McCormick stepped past the two dead skinheads, who were clearly beyond help. An M-16 with an M203 underbarrel grenade launcher lay at one's feet, and a shotgun was next to the other.

"We've got about thirteen minutes or so," said Bo, checking his watch. "I'll get us back out on the highway and get ready to lead the way, and Wallace can follow in the truck." He pulled out and onto I-80 once again.

Wallace rushed over to the truck as fast as he could and got in the driver's seat while Jim Kerr got in the shotgun seat. The shrapnel in his backside made sitting painful, but he could put up with it. No sooner had they closed the doors than Baldwin began to stir. His eyes opened, red with rage and hunger. Though he had only one leg and one usable arm, he was still somehow able to move...
OOC,Everyone, including those in the cruiser, please roll Sanity for seeing [b]Baldwin[/b] rise from the dead. Sanity loss is 1/1D8, so you lose 1 Sanity if you succeed or 1D8 if you fail. You can lose at most 8 total Sanity for seeing zombies during this chapter, so if you've already lost Sanity for seeing zombies, the maximum you lose will be capped. For instance, if you lost 1 Sanity previously for seeing a zombie, you can lose at most 7 now. Any roll of 8 will count as 7 instead. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, please roll Idea. If the Idea roll succeeds, you will go temporarily insane. If you do not go insane, you may act freely.
Jim Kerr,[b]Jim[/b] saw the skinhead and the woman with the pistol vanish around the other side of the van. Three more skinheads, two with shotguns and one with a pistol, and another woman who the one with the pistol had by the arm, moved into view beyond the edge of the diner, also heading for the van. They were almost there.
On the highway-
"Oh my God!" cried Stephanie when she saw Baldwin begin to stir back on the lot.

In the diner-
"Maybe we should get out of here too, man," Duke said to Robert.

"I'm not leaving until I make sure Beth is okay," he said. "We know they went into the kitchen, but they haven't come out." He tiptoed over to the kitchen doors and listened. Then he cracked open one of the doors and peeked inside. "It's empty. Come on." Duke followed him into the kitchen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"And how long will this trip take do you reckon? " Sean asks.

Then he sees Baldwin stir.
San 41%,[dice]0[/dice] Loss [dice]1[/dice]
The fact that another of these things was rising was a sharp punch to his already fragile psyche, but he manages to just barely keep from panicking.

The mission. Remember the mission, damn it!

He leans out the window and shouts at Wallace and Jim. "We need to go! There's no time to waste! "

Then his eyes land on Father McCormick, and he yells to signal him. "Get those weapons by the dead men, quick, and get back inside! The dead have been coming back to life, and they're a threat to everyone!"
ooc,Hopefully I'm not meta-ing here. I assume since Sean has seen two dead men come back to life he's now fearful others might. Also if he can't say all of this in a turn please let me know and I'll edit.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Sanity 81 [dice]0[/dice] Sanity Loss 1 Current Sanity 80
"Let's go. Follow that cruiser!" Jim watches as the skinheads take the two women with them to the van. He's pretty sure they aren't going willingly but to do anything more here would jeopardize their mission. "I'm sorry..." He mutters voice trailing off, knowing that his words don't matter.
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Father Roger McCormick grabs the M-16 and shotgun "This is all kinds of messed up". An expression of extreme distate covers his face as he rushes back inside the diner carrying the weapons.
Sanity,[dice]0[/dice]

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Beginning of the End”