IC-On the Grill(Rosie/Charlie Moon/Ashley/Lynne/Thomas)

The dead have begun to rise, but they are not the only problem. A small group of survivors at a truck stop in southwestern Nebraska must contend not only with zombies, but with internal division, a nearby group of heavily-armed skinhead survivalists, and even more horrifying dangers. Can they overcome their differences and survive, or will they join the ranks of the living dead?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-On the Grill(Rosie/Charlie Moon/Ashley/Lynne/Thomas)

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:28 AM
In the kitchen-
Beth nodded and hurried with Thomas into the liquor closet just as someone tried to open the kitchen doors. The table, on its side, was in the way, but it was slowly being shoved aside.

In the liquor closet-
Lynne and Charlie started down the stairs below the trapdoor. There was a lightbulb dangling from the ceiling below, a short distance from the trapdoor, with a chain hanging next to it. Lynne pulled it, which lit the bulb and relieved the darkness somewhat.

Thomas and Beth entered, and Beth quickly shut the door behind them.

On the stairs-
The stairs descended to a landing, where another flight led further down. "How deep does the rabbit hole go?" asked Charlie as they reached the landing.

"We're about halfway down the stairs," said Lynne, "but there's a lot more to this place than that. It's some kind of old facility from the Cold War, Earl said. The T-Bone was built on top of it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Holding onto Beth, Thomas quickly starts down the stairs.

"Hopefully we can find the guns quickly. Otherwise we may have to just hide and hope for the best, but I prefer our chances armed."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:29 AM
On the stairs-
Beth followed Thomas down the stairs, closing the trapdoor behind her. They soon reached the landing halfway down, where the stairs turned a corner before continuing.

Below, Lynne and Charlie reached the bottom of the stairs.

In the fallout shelter-
Lynne and Charlie found themselves in a larger room that had many boxes of both wood and cardboard. A quick look around revealed that there was another exit of the room leading to another stairwell down.

The place was some kind of storage room. The boxes were all marked: VCRs, Levi's Jeans, Liquor, Cigarettes, Watches, Expensive luggage, DVD players, Sweaters, Beer, Cooking supplies, Leather jackets, televisions, cellphones.

The shelter was not earthen but seemed hardened and old, concrete and wood with materials unlike that of the rest of the diner.

"Hammond said the guns are in crates marked 'pots and pans,'" Lynne told Charlie. "Let's start looking for them."
OOC,Everyone in the shelter may roll Idea, Spot Hidden, and Listen. The base skills for Spot Hidden and Listen are 25%. [b]Thomas[/b], if you continue down the stairs, please roll as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas continues to move down the stairs as quickly as he safely feels he can.

He reaches the bottom of the stairs and looks briefly surprised by the number of boxes, but focuses on finding the guns. He had to assume the skinheads were right behind them.
Idea 65%,[dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden 44%,[dice]1[/dice]
Listen 25%,[dice]2[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:30 AM
In the fallout shelter-
"This place is definitely older than the T-Bone," said Charlie, "and that dates back to the seventies. You know what it reminds me of? Those old missile silos they've been turning into private residences. It must have been built by the government back in the fifties, when the Cold War was heating up. They did a lot of work in this area at the time. If this is like those missile silos, it may go down very far. But if it's not, what is it?"

"Found the crates," said Lynne, pointing out three crates labeled "pots and pans." All of them were nailed shut. She also located a crowbar, which she handed to Charlie. "Here, see if you can get them open."

"If we open them here, there's gonna be a confrontation. We'll have guns, but I don't think they'll be loaded when they're packed away. Maybe we should just try to carry the crates below. They could search this room a long time before they realize the crates aren't here." Then Charlie held up a finger. "Shh. Hear that?" Lynne shook her head. "It sounded like screaming, from below, but distorted somehow.

"I heard it too," said Beth as she and Thomas reached the bottom of the stairs. He also heard the screaming, which sounded like a woman's voice, hoarse and weak. In addition, he could hear a low moaning from the same direction.

Lynne examined the dust. "Looks like someone's been dragged across the floor and further down the stairs." There was an old, ragged curtain that had been pushed aside in front of the stairway.

"Why would someone have done that?" asked Beth.

Lynne shook her head. "Earl and Hammond maybe. You have no idea what they were up to. This stuff here, probably all stolen. Considering how deep this thing is, hell, there could be someone down there."

Then Thomas heard the trapdoor opening far above.
OOC,[b]Charlie[/b]'s Idea roll (65% stat) in the shelter: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Charlie[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) in the shelter: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Charlie[/b]'s Listen roll (67% skill) in the shelter: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Idea roll (45% stat) in the shelter: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (67% base skill) in the shelter: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Listen roll (61% skill) in the shelter: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Beth[/b]'s Idea roll (85% stat) in the shelter: [dice]6[/dice] [b]Beth[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (50% skill) in the shelter: [dice]7[/dice] [b]Beth[/b]'s Listen roll (75% skill) in the shelter: [dice]8[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Guys!" Thomas says, his eyes darting up the stairs. He heads over to one of the gun crates and attempts to lift it, then attempts to head to the stairwell. Hopefully the skinheads would get distracted searching the room for long enough for the rest of them to get to safety. And maybe help free that woman that was apparently being kept prisoner.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thomas,[b]Thomas[/b] could hear a single rifle shot coming from far above.
OOC,[b]Thomas[/b], please roll STR x 5.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Str 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
Thomas figures the shot means Horst's men have started executing people. He tries to move as fast as he can. But the box is too much for him to lift in his current condition, and he hisses in frustration.

"C'mon, C'mon!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:31 AM
In the fallout shelter-
Charlie and Beth each picked up one of the crates, and they had no problem with them. Lynne helped Thomas with his crate, and between the two of them they were able to manage it. The four of them carried all three crates down the stairs, Beth drawing the curtain shut behind them.
OOC,[b]Charlie[/b]'s STR x 5 roll (75% stat) trying to lift a crate: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Beth[/b]'s STR x 5 roll (60% stat) trying to lift a crate: [dice]1[/dice]
Thomas,A second rifle shot rang out seconds later, then silence. "Where's the explosion?" asked an unfamiliar man's voice. "I told [b]Nitro[/b] to blow up the pumps if he heard a shot, and that's two of them." "It was probably just [b]Deadeye[/b] taking care of some trouble," said another unknown man. "I guess [b]Nitro[/b] must have thought it wasn't necessary yet." "Dammit, he's not supposed to think, he's supposed to obey orders. I'm gonna have to have a talk with him later." "Never mind, let's just get the guns," said [b]Horst[/b]. Then [b]Thomas[/b] could hear eight people start walking down the stairs from above. He could still hear the screaming and moaning far below.
On the stairs-
Everyone continued to move down into the fallout shelter, entering the next corridor and another set of steps leading down. They were narrow, so they could only descend in single file.

"How big is this thing?" asked Beth.

Charlie looked down the stairs. "Hell, this thing could go on forever."

Lynne standing behind them nodded. "You bet. This is real old, something the government made back in the day. I don't think Earl or Hammond ever explored it all. There's even a laboratory down there, and some rooms, and bunks. I think there's even jail cells too. Also there is the elevator...but I never did trust that."

The four of them had carried the crates down one flight of stairs so far, reaching a landing beyond which they kept going down. The temperature had dropped since they had started descending.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Thanks Lynne," Thomas is pretty embarrassed a girl needed to help him with his crate, but he puts his ego aside when he hears what the others are saying.

"I heard another shot from up above. Sounds like the skinheads are planning to blow the gas pumps too if they hear a shot! They've not gone up yet, but it's something that could happen. I don't think getting caught by them is something we can afford, I think they're gonna kill us all when they get the guns."

I think all we can do is keep going down and hope they get distracted searching upstairs
."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:32 AM
In the fallout shelter-
"No sweat, Thomas. Yeah, they could keep searching forever and never find them," said Lynne with a smirk as they proceeded down another flight of stairs carrying the heavy crates.

"How far down is the bottom?" asked Beth.

"The bottom of this whole place? I don't even know if it has one. Could go all the way to the center of the Earth for all I know. But we'll get to the bottom of these stairs after one more flight."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Well let's keep going. The more space we can put between us and them the happier I'll feel. Though I am worried about Ash and everyone else. If those skinheads don't get what they want are they going to start hurting them? I hate to leave them, but I'm not much of a gunslinger and I don't want to get any of us hurt, either."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:33 AM
In the fallout shelter-
"They'll probably take it out on Hammond first," said Lynne. "I won't be too sorry about that."

"Yeah, but I'd hate for innocent people to get hurt," said Beth. "Especially Rosie and Ashley, they're nice."

"Well, once we down there," said Charlie, "we can break these bad boys open and get those guns for ourselves, even up the odds. I'm a good shot with a rifle."

Everyone continued to follow the footprints lower, noting that there was some old wiring throughout the facility. However, at the end of the long stairs going down, they found a gate with a padlock. The foot trails went under the gate and continued further. At this point everyone could hear the screams and the moans, coming from somewhere beyond the gate.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Um, I'm decent with a pistol, I guess. I mean, not enough to feel confident if it came to a fight with der fuhrer back there, but if I had to I could maybe help. And yeah, I don't want to think what they'd do to everyone."

"That doesn't sound good," Thomas says, stating the obvious. "Sounds like someone is in trouble or injured. Can anyone open up this lock?" He tries not to look at Lynne but fails.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:34 AM
In the fallout shelter-
"Sure, just give me a minute," said Lynne with a smile, setting to work on the lock with her picks. She frowned as she fiddled with it. "Or two..."

Charlie wedged his crowbar under the lid of the nearest crate and pried it off with ease. Pushing the lid aside, he tore off the wrapping paper and whistled when he saw the small arsenal within. It was a soldier's dream, containing vintage weapons dating back decades. The contents were very impressive. There were two M-16A2 assault rifles as well as two M4 carbines, with 14 30-round magazines of 5.56mm ammo for each. There was a pair of semi-automatic 12-gauge shotguns and 400 shells for them. Finally, there were two M3A1 Grease guns with 7 30-round magazines of .45 ammo for each one. All of the weapons had been packed in grease, but it would be a simple matter to clean them using the wrapping paper inside the crate. It would just take time.

Charlie whistled. "If that's what's in here," he said, "I wonder what's in the other two. I've got dibs on one of those M-16s."
OOC,[b]Charlie[/b]'s STR x 5 roll (75% stat) trying to pry open a crate: [dice]0[/dice] Which crate did [b]Charlie[/b] open? [dice]2[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Locksmith roll (48% skill) trying to pick the lock: [dice]1[/dice] Anyone may claim a weapon and ammo. You can clean off one weapon of your choice given one minute, as well as load it. The M-16s and M4s use Rifle skill, the shotguns use Shotgun skill, and the M3A1 Grease guns use Submachine Gun skill.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas tries not to grow restless as Lynne struggles with the lock. But all he can think is that those goons were right behind them. Another second and they'd have caught them up there. What if they had made too much noise and the skinheads had heard them? Even now, they could be coming down here. And they'd be sitting ducks.

Seeing the guns made him feel slightly better though. "Woah, awesome! But I've only fired a handgun, I don't think any of these would really be easy for me to shoot. I mean, they're better than nothing, if worse comes to worse we could bluff them I guess. But hopefully one of the other crates holds a handgun."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Everyone, please roll Listen. The base skill is 25%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Listen 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:35 AM
In the fallout shelter-
"They're coming down the stairs above us!" hissed Beth. "A bunch of them." She grabbed one of the M-16s and cleaned it off, then loaded it with one of the magazines.

Charlie nodded. "I recognize Flip's voice. And Rosie's. They must have her with them." He pried open the second crate. Within it he found an M79 grenade launcher with 20 rounds, as well as 20 hand grenades. "Well, that's pretty cool, but not the most useful in an enclosed place like this."

Lynne was too focused on trying to pick the lock to hear anything. "Almost got it..." she muttered. "So close..."
OOC,[b]Charlie[/b]'s Listen roll (67% skill): [dice]0[/dice] [b]Charlie[/b]'s STR x 5 roll (75% stat): [dice]1[/dice] Which crate does he open? [dice]5[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Listen roll (61% skill): [dice]2[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Locksmith roll (48% skill): [dice]3[/dice] [b]Beth[/b]'s Listen roll (75% skill): [dice]4[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Crap!" Thomas says. He grabs one of the M3A1's and starts to clean and load it. Hopefully by the time the goons showed up he'd have a fully loaded weapon capable of making Horst and his men back off.

"We should all grab a weapon," he suggests. "I don't want trouble, but 4 of us armed might convince them to leave. And I don't think they're going to stop coming even if we get that lock open."

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Beginning of the End”