IC-On the Grill(Rosie/Charlie Moon/Ashley/Lynne/Thomas)

The dead have begun to rise, but they are not the only problem. A small group of survivors at a truck stop in southwestern Nebraska must contend not only with zombies, but with internal division, a nearby group of heavily-armed skinhead survivalists, and even more horrifying dangers. Can they overcome their differences and survive, or will they join the ranks of the living dead?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-On the Grill(Rosie/Charlie Moon/Ashley/Lynne/Thomas)

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cell block-
"It's coming from number 4," said Lynne. Charlie nodded.
OOC,[b]Charlie[/b]'s Listen roll (67% skill) in the cell block: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Listen roll (61% skill) in the cell block: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Beth[/b]'s Listen roll (75% skill) in the cell block: [dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Question,Does the sliding panel look big enough that Thomas or others could open it and stick their guns in and hope to get a decent shot at any threat they saw inside?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,It's big enough that you can point one gun barrel through it, though your field of fire will be limited.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas points to the door. "I'll open the sliding panel and see what's causing that moaning. If I see anything dangerous, one of us needs to try and get a shot through the hole. I don't want to open until we know we'd be safe."

He approaches door 4 and attempts to open the panel.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thomas,[b]Thomas[/b] slid the panel aside and looked through it. The scene on the other side of the cell door was horrifying. The walls were made of thick, old stone. Two young women were manacled to opposite walls, wearing only their underwear. One was alive and screaming, straining to break her chains free from the wall. The other was dead and moaning inhumanly. She was also pulling at her chains in an effort to reach the living woman - and she was a lot stronger. There was no way to shoot the dead woman through the panel, as their guns were too long. A pistol might work, but nothing larger. [spoiler][b]Thomas[/b], please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 1/1D8. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, you must roll Idea. If you succeed at the Idea roll, you will go temporarily insane. Otherwise, you may act freely.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas san 60%,[dice]0[/dice] Possible loss [dice]1[/dice] Idea 65 [dice]2[/dice]
Thomas looks in the panel and his mind shatters.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:41:12 AM
In the cell block-
Thomas began to scream in unison with the woman in the cell, paralyzed with fear.

"Good thing Ashley isn't hear to see this," said Lynne, elbowing Thomas aside and fiddling with the lock. She had it open in less than half a minute and threw open the cell door to reveal a horrifying sight which made her scream too, albeit briefly. The walls were made of thick, old stone. Two young women were manacled to opposite walls, wearing only their underwear. One was alive and screaming, straining to break her chains free from the right wall. The other was dead and moaning inhumanly. She was also pulling at her chains from the left wall in an effort to reach the living woman - and she was a lot stronger. Lynne scrambled into the cell, hurried over to the living woman, and began to try to pick the lock on her manacles. The other woman's chains finally snapped free. She turned to look at the newcomers, then surged across the cell toward Lynne, whose back was to her.

"Lynne, look out!" shouted Beth.

Lynne spun around as the dead woman charged her, barely having enough time to raise her Grease gun and fire at full auto. The bullets sprayed all around the dead woman, but none of them hit due to her lack of skill with the weapon, even at such close range. The woman rushed forward and wrapped her arms around Lynne, crushing her with inhuman strength! Beth raised her rifle and snapped off a single shot from her M-16, not wanting to risk hitting Lynne with stray bullets by firing a burst. The bullet struck the dead woman square in the head, blowing a massive hole in it and dropping her like a bad habit.
OOC,[b]Thomas[/b]'s temporary insanity type: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Thomas[/b]'s temporary insanity duration: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Thomas[/b] is having a screaming fit. The duration is six rounds, but they have now passed, so you may act freely again. [b]Charlie[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 50) for seeing the zombie: [dice]3[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Locksmith roll (48% skill) to pick the lock on the door: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 45) for seeing the zombie: [dice]4[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Sanity loss: [dice]6[/dice] [b]Beth[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 80) for seeing the zombie: [dice]5[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Locksmith roll (48% skill) to pick the lock on the living woman's chains: [dice]7[/dice] [b]Lynne[/b]'s Submachine Gun roll (15% x 2[point blank] = 30%[burst with at least 6 bullets] + 30% = 60% base skill) shooting at the zombie, point blank, full auto: [dice]8[/dice] Zombie's Grapple attack (25% chance) on [b]Lynne[/b]: [dice]9[/dice] Zombie's Bite attack (30% chance) on [b]Lynne[/b]: [dice]10[/dice] [b]Beth[/b]'s Rifle roll (50% x 2[point blank] = 100% skill) shooting at the zombie, point blank: [dice]11[/dice] Hit location: [dice]12[/dice] Damage: [dice]13[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas screams his head off, fully comprehending the sight in front of him. That woman had to be dead. It had to be dead. But it wasn't, and worse was that it was moving with such purpose.

He continues to scream, only being dimly aware of Lynne getting the lock open and rushing into the room. He screams louder when the thing grabs her, and only quiets down when Beth gets a shot off and brings it down, this time for good (he hoped.) He looks around, shaky and embarrassed for how he had acted. But honestly, he'd rather focus on that then what he just saw.

"You alright, Lynne?" He says, still not being willing to get closer. "Nice shooting, Beth. Sorry I couldn't help, but I was...really not expecting that. The government's keeping dead people down here?"
ooc,I have a feeling we got VERY lucky there.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:41:24 AM
In the cell block-
"Thanks," said Beth, finally exhaling. "Didn't know I had it in me."

"Just...just shaken up," said Lynne. "I'm not hurt. We have to get her out of here fast!" She went back to work on the manacles. "I hear them trying to break through the barricade we made, and they're screaming. There was also gunfire coming from that direction."

"It's not the government keeping people down here, it's Hammond and Earl," said Charlie. "I doubt she was dead when they chained her up."

The dead woman was young and African-American, with dark hair. She was so skinny that her rib cage was visible. The living woman was blonde, also skinny, and still screaming her head off.
OOC,Yeah, you might say that (especially in [b]Lynne[/b]'s case). Also, [b]Beth[/b] is awesome.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas tries to put the dead woman out of his mind and focus on the monsters he knew were right behind them. "Yeah, maybe... maybe she was, like, crazy with hunger or something. Look how thin she is.." He is entirely unconvincing, even to himself.

"Once we get her free, I think we need to prepare for a confrontation. If Horst is still following us he and his men are not going to give up. I don't want to fight, but honestly with what we've just seen? I'm pretty sure if Horst does not try to kill us Hammond will. There's enough down here to send him and Earl away for a long time." .
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:42 AM
In the cell block-
"Let's move these crates along now," said Charlie. "This hall's not a good place to fight them, but maybe we can ambush them from the next room." He and Beth each grabbed one of the full crates and lugged it through the doorway at the end of the cell block. The remaining crate only had two rifles and most of the ammo in it, so Thomas would be capable of carrying it on his own. Lynne kept working on the manacles.

In the shower room-
This was a larger room that was intended for the prisoners to shower and relieve themselves. There was no privacy here, just showers along the left wall and urinals and toilets on the right. At the back of the room was a doorway leading to a common area for the prisoners. Charlie and Beth each moved along a wall around a corner and set the crates down out of view of the hallway. "This isn't the best spot," said Charlie, "but we can lean around the corners and fire our rifles down the hall if we need to. Ideally, we'd want to move further so we can get a better range advantage, but we don't want to get too far ahead of the others."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas follows the others, bringing his crate along and similarly hiding it..

"I wish we could chuck one of those grenades down the hall and call it a day, but they probably still have hostages." His heart sinks when he thinks of Ash. "Hopefully we can get enough distance to drop the skinheads and Hammond and Earl before they can threaten any of us with return fire. Man, I feel sick even thinking this, but these guys are monsters, and I don't think they're going to just let us go."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the shower room-
Thomas carried the crate into the room, following the others, and set it down out of sight. "I just heard the barricade go down," Charlie said. "Lots of screaming and shouting. Yeah, these rifles give us the edge we need."

In the cell block-
Lynne kept working on the manacles, so far without success.
OOC,[b]Lynne[/b]'s Locksmith roll (48% skill) trying again to pick the lock on the manacles: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas anxiously calls out to Lynne.

"If you can't get the lock off leave her, Lynne! They'll be here in a few seconds!" He reasons that with the insane other captive dead, the screaming woman was safe for the moment. Horst only cared about the guns.
Fast Talk,Trying a roll to convince Lynne if needed: [dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:43 AM
In the cell block-
Lynne gave up on the lock and bolted down the hall at high speed, entering the shower room to rejoin the others.

In the shower room-
"I heard shooting back there too," said Lynne.

"Let's put some more distance between us and them," said Charlie. He and Beth each picked up a crate and continued through the doorway to the common area.

In the common area-
This was a large area where prisoners could gather outside their cells for exercise or socializing. A metal door stood at the far end with a sign over it that read: "Lab Entrance. No Unauthorized Entry Beyond This Point."

"So unauthorized entry up to this point is okay?" said Beth. She ducked around the corner to the left, while Charlie went around the corner to the right.

"We can lean around the corner and see down the hall from here," said Charlie. "That'll give us a good shot with our rifles, and probably nobody without one will be able to hit us from the cell block."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thomas follows, dragging his crate with him. He also goes around the right corner and gets his gun ready.

"I guess it's too late to hope we can convince them to back off, huh? Maybe after we take out Horst."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:44 AM
In the common area-
Lynne darted around the corner to the left, joining Beth. "They're almost here," she hissed. "I hear them coming, right outside the cell block."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"So do we yell out a warning first or..." Thomas trails off. He's not eager to kill anyone in cold blood, even a monster like Horst or Hammond. "I mean, we have rifles. When we see them can't we just tell them to, I dunno, freeze? If they still try to attack us they'll have to get closer, and we'll be able to shoot them down before they have a good chance of hitting us."

"But I'll go with what the rest of you think. We're all in danger here, after all."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:45 AM
In the common area-
The door to the cell block opened, and two skinheads cautiously entered, one with an M-16 and the other with a large handgun. They were followed by Horst, who Thomas saw to his horror was gripping Ashley about the waist and holding her in front of him, with a pistol in his free hand and a shotgun slung over his shoulder. Next came Flip and Rosie, and then Earl. The women looked terrified, but they seemed to be unhurt. They were followed by more people, but it was hard to see through the crowd in the narrow hall.
OOC,Everyone, please roll Spot Hidden. The base skill is 25%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Spot Hidden 44%,[dice]0[/dice]

Thomas'
eyes widen when he sees Ash, but he forces himself to focus on the goon with the M-16. He aims for him but holds his fire for the moment, still not certain if he should shoot but ready if he needed to. Hopefully the screaming would distract the skinheads.

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Beginning of the End”