IC-Get to the Choppa!(Wallace/Bo/Helicopter Group)

The dead have begun to rise, but they are not the only problem. A small group of survivors at a truck stop in southwestern Nebraska must contend not only with zombies, but with internal division, a nearby group of heavily-armed skinhead survivalists, and even more horrifying dangers. Can they overcome their differences and survive, or will they join the ranks of the living dead?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: IC-Get to the Choppa!(Wallace/Bo/Helicopter Group)

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:41 AM
On the road-
Bo and Bob were almost two fifths of the way to the truck, with Stephanie a little over a third of the way there. Jim was catching up and was now just a short distance behind her.

At the landing site-
Wallace helped Brigetta and Sean unload the second of the three barrels. "Yeah, I'll find a flat stretch of road just ahead of the truck and set out road flares," he said, "but let's get the last barrel out first. The chopper won't arrive for about five more minutes anyway, which gives us a little time. The flares will be visible from the air."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"You sure that's a good idea?" Sean asked. "I'm concerned flares would attract more of those things, though they're slow enough hopefully we could get in the air before they get here." He moves to bring out the last barrel.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

"What does attract them?" Brigette ponders aloud as she grabs the last barrel. "Is it movement? Heat? Alive bodies- or dead ones? How long will it take to fuel the helicopter?"
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Jim continues to head toward the truck which he can see just up the road. His mind wanders to what they will do when the helicopter arrives as it probably won't have enough room to take everyone when it leaves.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:42 AM
On the road-
Bob and Bo were now a little over halfway to the truck. Stephanie was a few yards behind them, and Jim was now only a few yards behind her. He was right that the helicopter almost certainly wouldn't hold them all. The one they had left at the truck stop only seated the five of them who had arrived in it. The State Police helicopter probably had a similar capacity, and it was coming with a pilot already in it.

At the landing site-
Wallace, Brigetta, and Sean finished unloading the last barrel. "I wouldn't know how long it takes to refuel a chopper," said Wallace. "It only takes a few minutes to refill my truck with diesel, but the chopper would take longer, since the fuel has to be pumped manually. It's up to you about the flares. I guess she can see our truck just fine, and she knows where we're meeting her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I think it's safer without the flares," Sean offers. "Though the noise of the helicopter might attract those things anyway. Still, no sense in attracting more attention." He tries to estimate how long it might take to fuel the bird.
Mechanical repair 20%,[dice]0[/dice]
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Jim continues to make haste towards the truck. He will glance from side to side occasionally to ensure that it's clear on the sides of the road ahead.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Brigetta rubs a grimy hand over her face leaving an oily streak. "So now we wait. I can't believe we got here before the helicopter. Thanks for helping me, Sean. And you too, Wallace."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:43 AM
On the road-
Bo and Bob had now made it almost two thirds of the way. Stephanie was about five yards behind them when Jim caught up to her. He could see the truck and its former occupants a few hundred yards ahead, but nothing else yet.

At the landing site-
"No problem," said Wallace. "At least I can do something. It's a shame about Baldwin, though..." He sighed. "All right, no flares." He reached into the cab of the truck and picked up the CB. "Trooper, this is Wallace. We're at the landing site with the fuel unloaded and ready. Just follow the spur to the south and you'll see the truck. Over."

"Roger that," said Erica over the radio. "My ETA's about three minutes. I have just enough fuel to make it to your location, but I'm cutting it real close."

Sean had no idea how long it would take to refuel the helicopter, but he realized that Bob would, being a pilot.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Sean grins. "My pleasure, Dr. Hausman. It's my job, and I'd do it anyway. I know you can fix this mess for us."

"I can't make heads or tails how long the fueling of our ride will take, but I reckon Bob will know."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Brigetta turns to the direction they originally came from and scans the horizon.
"Well, Bob and the others can't be that far away now. I wonder how fast those infected people walk and whether they are still following. Whatever happens we have to get off the ground before they get close; we can't risk being infected."
Spot hidden,20 [dice]0[/dice]
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Once Jim catches up with Stephanie, he will slow his pace to match hers as they continue to the truck.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:44 AM
At the landing site-
"Does...does that mean I'm infected?" asked Wallace. "What's gonna happen to me, Doc?"
OOC,[b]Sean[/b], please roll Spot Hidden. [b]Brigetta[/b] has already rolled and failed. I'll let you know what you see if you succeed in the next major update.
On the road-
"Good exercise, huh?" said Stephanie, smiling weakly at Jim and grateful that he was running alongside her and not leaving her to bring up the rear by herself. Bo and Bob were now over three quarters of the way to the truck, and Stephanie and Jim were several yards behind them.
Jim Kerr,Glancing back, [b]Jim[/b] could see that the horde was slowly following them, but it had not yet reached the abandoned police cruiser. It was still about a third of a mile short of it.
OOC,[b]Jim[/b] already rolled Spot Hidden a while ago and succeeded, but everyone else here should roll Spot Hidden now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Spot Hidden 39%,[dice]0[/dice]
Sean looks at Wallace and says nothing, but knows it's not looking good. Dr. Hausman had mentioned something to the effect that he was doomed anyway back at the truck stop, so he assumed it was terminal. It was tragic, but they couldn't risk the mission being jeopardized. Sean was determined to make sure Wallace did not get on the helicopter with them.

He looks around and scans the horizon for threats or anything of interest.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Good exercise, huh?"
Jim laughs. "Yea, nice weather too. Too bad it's not under different circumstances." He says as they continue jogging to the landing site.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Brigetta looks gravely at Wallace and then catches Sean's eye.
"How are you feeling, Wallace? Do you have a headache or blurred vision?"
Medicine,77[dice]0[/dice]Brigetta will look to see if there are any contraindications. However, she will not say anything either way so not to cause possible panic.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

9:45 AM
At the landing site-
"I feel like hell, doc," said Wallace. "No blurred vision, but yeah, I've got a splitting headache." He looked off to the northeast. "Look, the chopper's almost here!" He dragged himself to his feet and waved in that direction.
OOC,[b]Wallace[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (45% skill) at the landing site: [dice]0[/dice]
Brigetta Hausmann,[b]Brigetta[/b] examined [b]Wallace[/b] more closely, and she could see that his symptoms had gotten progressively worse since she had originally treated his wound. She estimated that he had a few hours to live at most. The tourniquet would help prolong his life, but not by much. One thing her examination indicated was that this did not seem to be an infection. Instead, it felt more like a venomous animal bite...and the venom was lethal.
On the road-
"I see the chopper!" called Bob pointing to the northeast. "It'll get there about the same time we do!" He glanced back. "They're still following us! There are twenty of them, and they're about a quarter mile from where we left the cruiser. I think at their current pace they'll reach the chopper's landing site in fifteen minutes, but I don't see how we can possibly refuel it by then...at least not fully." He and Bo were now just a minute away from the truck.

"I see the chopper too!" said Stephanie. She looked back. "And that horde..." Jim could see both as well. They would be at the truck in about two more minutes.
OOC,[b]Bo[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (56% skill) on the road: [dice]1[/dice] [b]Stephanie[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (66% skill) on the road: [dice]2[/dice] [b]Bob[/b]'s Spot Hidden roll (70% skill) on the road: [dice]3[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Jim will keep pace with Stephanie, jogging towards the landing site.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Sean also waves up at the chopper, hoping to get its attention.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Over the noise of the helicopter Brigetta turns her back on Wallace as he waves at the helicopter and speaks quietly to Sean.
"He only has a few hours to live; there's nothing I can do for him and he can't come with us." Brigetta looks firmly at Sean leaving the rest unsaid.

"If we can't refuel enough in time can the truck trail the helicopter with the remaining gas?"

Return to “Chapter 1 - The Beginning of the End”