Chapter 10: November 1st

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 10: November 1st

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There's nae time for one of us to read a whole book," says Alexander, "but what if we tore the pages out and divided sections of the book between us? If we skim them rather than read them in detail until we find a relevant part, we might get through them in time. If we could trap the beastie in a round chamber with no corners, it would be unable to escape. But I'm not sure where we could find a suitable place."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

“But surely Joan must commit the sacrifice?” Vandorff says. “Otherwise, how do you know what symbols you will need?”

“That’s true” Blessing nods. “And it’s Joan the creature wants, she has been killing in order to distract the creature. Vandorff is right. I can’t ask Joan to kill anymore, but for what is left of Billy Ashworth, it would be a mercy.”
OOC,I don't think scanning a book like this is possible. It's handwritten on very old paper. And you don't exactly know what you're looking for.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”You’re as bad as he is!” snapped Vic, rounding on Blessing. “If Billy’s beyond saving then put him out of his misery, but don’t let him be killed so to save the worthless hide of this godless wretch!” She stabbed an angry finger in the direction of Vandorff.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde is quite shocked at the turn of events. “Alexander, we couldn’t possibly rip this book up; it would be sacrilege; it’s a priceless artifact! Why don’t you look at that other book, Hermes Trismegistus, and I’ll continue with this one.”
She draws the book protectively towards her.
“You never know, we might be lucky.”
And to everyone else she sternly says,
“We are the Seekers of Enlightenment; we have values and a reputation to uphold. I insist that we maintain our integrity. We have to find a better way than a sacrifice which is only a temporary measure as it is.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The Captain nods to Isolde. "Hear, hear!"

He turns to Vandorff and Blessing. "Are there no rounded tunnels under this building or nearby? Or any rooms or large containers even that are rounded, or spherical, or oblong even I suppose?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Luckily, the Hermes is in English, but will also take a long time to read, probably including the entire next day.
“I have no idea” says Vandorff.

“It will take too long to search for something like that” says Blessing.

He takes the handles of Vandorff’s chair.

“I will return the Doctor to his cell.”

He pushes the chair towards the door.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Angry with Dr Blessing, Vandorff and generally feeling powerless, Vic stomped out of the room and up the stairs to check on Billy.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Vic,Billy is slopping wetly around his cell. He barely resembles anything human anymore.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, I'll get started," says Alexander, picking up Hermes Trismegistus and beginning to look through it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

"I'll come with you, Doctor Blessing. Then perhaps you could show me around? We need to search this place for a room or space without angles, apparently."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Blessing looks at Crozier in puzzlement.

“I can assure you, Captain, that no such room exists at this establishment. Better use of your time would be in helping me to get the patients settled for the night.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Please could you check on Greta on your rounds?” Isolde asks as they leave the room. As she turns back to the book she spits the cabinet in the corner of the room. “We never checked this.” She says to Alexander and she goes over to open it.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

'I can help you with the patients' says Harry. 'I'll leave the bookwork to wiser minds than mine.'

He takes Blessing to one side and asks, 'Is it possible for you to hypnotise Dr Vandorff, or does he need to be a willing participant?'
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,The only cabinet is the one where the drugs were found.
“No, it’s not possible, unless you have some means of keeping his eyes forced open” says Blessing to Harry. “I appreciate any help with the patients.”

With the help of Harry, Crozier and Melody, Blessing sees to the patients’ needs. He arranges a place to sleep for the companions – Greta and Rolf will stay in Vandorff’s room for now, and someone is able to have their room. There is a spare bed belonging to one of the nurses, but Rutherford and Niewicki’s room is too foul to consider.

Apart from the occasional shout from a patient, the asylum begins to quiet for the evening. Blessing announces his intention to retire, after making sure that Joan is safely secured.
OOC,Please let me know your evening plans. Melody will sleep.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I willna sleep," says Alexander, still reading. "I'll stay awake as long as I can going through this book. All I need is an ample supply of tea to keep me going and some light to read by."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde settles back down to read; she’s prepared for a long night. She’s oftentimes watched over a sick child all night but it’s been a while since then.
“I’ll go and find tea at midnight.” She promises Alexander.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry ensures he has a set of keys for the asylum and finds himself a corner to get some sleep. He keeps the revolver with him.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic came back down in time to here Alexander’s about tea and headed off to the kitchen to find a kettle. She returned shortly with a catering-size teapot, a jug of milk and a sugar bowl. The teapot was swathed in tea towels to try to keep it warm.

’I’m going to get some rest,” she said. “But come and wake me if you need anything.” Picking up the poker, she headed off to sleep in the spare nurse’s bed. She took her boots off, but didn’t get undressed, just lay on the bed, with a blanket over her, thinking of the events of the day.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The Captain keeps his pocket-watch handy and every hour goes for a patrol through the asylum, careful not to disturb any sleeping occupants.

He hopes his drug-induced earlier nap will help him fight off fatigue.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Darkness has closed in, and the asylum is quiet. Blessing convinces Alexander and Isolde to move to the dining room, where a fire is blazing.

Crozier determines to patrol the asylum but soon falls asleep, suffering from the after-effects of the drugged tea. Isolde also has a similar problem, and although her mind is slowly warped by the weirdness and horror of the Die Vermis Mysteris, she cannot stay awake any longer. And although Alexander is making good progress with his book, fatigue overtakes him too. The asylum is silent.
OOC:   I will begin a new thread.  

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”