Chapter 10: November 1st

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 10: November 1st

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Nor I," says Alexander, "but I did see a book by Prinn on the shelves: The Mysteries of the Worm. Not that we need a book to understand what Vandorrf did wrong."
OOC,Cthulhu Mythos roll (1% skill) about UVOSAVLA: 0
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier is transitioning from mildly drugged to mother of hangovers. He finds something to sit on.

"Snakes that spoke?"

"Chattering snakes aside, I'm wondering how the police will react to this. Obviously, drugging us was criminal but the doctor may be able to explain that away."

"For everything else, he may be able to argue that he was simply looking for a cure. These are experiments that went wrong but all from noble cause. Even the nurse. It had been my understanding that different treatments are trialled in lunatic asylums across this country. Dr Blessing, correct me if I'm wrong."

"The police might decide he is in the right and we the wrong."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

'If this poor wretch was the first' says Harry, relieved he wasn't able to get a look, given the description, 'Are there others?'
Cthulhu Mythos 1%,Got to give it a spin, 0
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”You didn’t see what was behind that door, Captain Crozier!” snapped Vic tartly. “He’d do very well to argue that that poor soul in there was a price worth paying for any sort of medical advancement!”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Alexander finds the Prinn book on the shelf, but it is written in German, and will need translating.

Blessing shakes his head at Crozier’s theory.

“I do not know the intricacies of the law, but such an experiment would certainly see Dr. Vandorff struck off as a practising doctor.”

He picks up the other bundle of papers.

“I would wager that the doctor has past experience with unethical treatments. Perhaps that is the real reason he left Austria, and keeps the company of such unsavoury characters as you have met.”

He spreads the papers on the worktable.

“These are about Miss Bayldon.”

‘October 2:

I have discovered my mistake in the administration of the Liao on Billy: too large and too concentrated a dose. I have decided to use a subject of stable mental bearing, in case Billy’s condition had additional effects on the experiment.’

“There, Captain Blessing says. “Proof that the experiments were not done as a treatment. This should be enough for the police.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Then we should summon them forthwith," says Alexander.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Wait” says Blessing. “We need to read more.”

‘I have begun using smaller doses on Joan. Today I administered the first dose after hypnotizing her and wiping all memory of these treatments from her mind. I was fortunate to have done so, for today her visions revealed to her not only her childhood here at Malbray, but also her mad mother’s vicious streak, and Crazy Annie’s less-than-voluntary stay here. Since Joan knows nothing of her mother’s identity, these visions have confirmed my belief in Prinn’s Liao: it is genuine!’…

Blessing’s face is a mixture of emotions.

“That vile man!” he says coldly. “But this proves that Joan was not of sound mind, her actions are the direct result of Vandorff’s cruel experiments! Surely the police and courts will see that.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic picked herself up and went over to look at the Prinn book, to see if she could make any sense of it.
OOC,German (41%) - 0 Edit: Merde!
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The Captain nods (then winces because he nodded). "Yes, you are right of course. I hadn't realised he experimented on Miss Bayldon when she was of sound mind. Whatever the law might think of experimenting on those locked away in here, there can be no excuse for that."

"Is there a cure for what has been done to Miss Bayldon, do you suppose? Should that be our priority or summoning the constabulary?"

"I do think explaining this to the police will itself be a challenge to our soundness of mind."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sorry, I made an error - the book is an English printing. But being a Mythos tome it will take several hours to read, and there will be a SAN penalty. It will take a successful English roll and the rest of the day to read.
Blessing nods.

“I will try to restore her true personality, but first we must get to the bottom of what happened.”

He turns the page.

“There’s more.”

‘October 4:

I have doubled the concentration for today’s session. She spoke of her mother again, but briefly, as she was quickly a nurse during the Napoleonic Wars, then an Irish lass, a Welsh shepherdess, a medieval lady’s handmaid. The hypnotism has worked thus far, as she remembers nothing of these sessions…’

Three more passages can be found, dated October 6, 9, and 14, all recounting results similar to the above. Joan’s visions are more controlled than Billy’s, and Vandorff shows his evident delight.

'October 16:

I have sent her back too far, though thankfully not with the same results as Billy. This time she described for me her transformation into creatures made of single cells. Then she began shrieking, and though I immediately administered a sedative, her delirium persisted. I managed to calm her down and wipe all memory of the session through hypnotism, but nevertheless I must be watchful of her for awhile. She should not remember this experiment, I think. I wish to hell I knew what it was she saw there at the end…’

This is the end of Vandorff's notes.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,If the books were in German, it made sense for Vic to try to read them. If they’re in English, I’m not sure if someone else wouldn’t take a lead?
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“It’s no wonder Joan became hysterical if her memories went back to being some sort of Darwinian slime. Gosh, if so then his theories would be correct! And What did she see at the dawn of life as it were? No simple soul could bear that revelation!” Isolde paces up and down, impassioned by the recent events.
“May I look at the book, Vic? I couldn’t pass up this opportunity to view such a rare tome.” She hefts the book. “I might be some time.”
English,80 0
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic handed over the book. It was a weighty tone and she was sure Isolde would make more sense of it then herself.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Is it not obvious what she saw?” asks Blessing. “This dog-thing that she spoke about, that still terrifies her so. The thing that she says is following her.”

He stands up.

“I will conduct another session with her this evening, and try to find out more. In the meantime, I must attend to Greta and the patients. Would anyone be willing to help prepare and serve the evening meal?”
OOC,Please let me know your plans. I’m guessing that everyone will help Blessing out in some way and get the chores done as quickly as possible. After the patients are seen to, the companions can have their dinner. Blessing will hypnotise Joan. Anyone can read the book, providing they make a successful English roll. It is about 3pm now – it will take most of the night and the entire next morning to read. If what is discovered within the book is to be studied further, it will require more time.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm a terrible cook," says Alexander, "but I've always enjoyed Melody's cooking. I'm sure there's something else I can do, though. After that, I'd like to try to analyse that 'liao' drug and find out what's in it. As for Darwin, I've never put much stock in his theories. A load of hogwash if you ask me. Keep in mind that the only evidence these notes provide of that are the ravings of a mad doctor and his unreliable descriptions of a young woman's drug-induced hallucinations. Hardly scientific, and science requires being able to repeat the results - which nobody should do, for reasons of morality. And whatever poor Billy has become, I doubt it's anything Darwin imagined even in his most bizarre dreams."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Melody agrees to help cook.

Blessing points to the notes.

"Vandorff indicates that the Liao drug is Prinn's creation, so it's recipe is probably contained in the book. I don't think an analysis is needed."
OOC,Perhaps Alexander can assist Isolde in reading the book?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Then I shall help study the book," says Alexander.
OOC,Own Language: English roll (90% base skill) reading the book: 0
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Come along, Captain Crozier,” said Vic. “You and I can serve dinner.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The Captain nods to Vic and raises an index finger to his forehead in salute. "Your servant, ma'am. I did my fair share of serving table as a cabin boy and midshipman. It's been a few decades, mind you, but I doubt the basics have changed."

The Captain pitches in with gusto to assist, and hopefully shake off the cobwebs of drug.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry looks the books over sceptically. 'I think I'd be better off assisting Rolf with the inmates.' He retrieves his cosh and tucks the revolver in his coat. Just in case.

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”