Chapter 10: November 1st

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 10: November 1st

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank ye," says Alexander, "but I'd best keep my wits about me. It does warm one, though. Hmm...that is an additional advantage a carriage powered by a steam engine would have - the heat from the engine could be used to warm the interior."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

"Aye, many's the sailor who has gratefully warmed himself by the engine of a tramp steamer, I assure you, Doctor. But surely burning coal smoke would make travel on a small land vessel unsavory? In the carriage of a train you are some distance from the engine."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, that is the problem with it," says Alexander. "Perhaps what is needed is a new type of engine, one that burns more cleanly."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Isolde sighs into her muffler. With all the cooking fires burning in London it was stinking enough without all the cabs and carts carrying fires too.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry follows in a third cab with Melody. He drops the more refined accent he uses with the other members of the Seekers. 'I don't like this, I don't like this wun little bit' he says to Melody. 'Did yah see that woman? She didn't recognise the name Blessing used. And now they're disappearin' off to the asylum.' He shudders, 'Whadda we really know about 'im anyway?'
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Eventually the three cabs arrive at Malbray. Blessing climbs down and after paying the driver, helps Miss Bayldon and then Vic from the cab.

As the other companions emerge, Blessing addresses them.

“Thank you all most sincerely for your assistance. I will now see that Miss Bayldon receives the treatment she needs, and attempt to get some answers as to why all of this happened. Captain Crozier, I will send you a telegram to advise on progress as soon as I can. Until then.”

He bows his head and begins to lead Bayldon to the gate.
OOC,Whatever you want to do now, you need to decide whether you want the cabs to wait. Bear in mind the drivers’ presence if you want to discuss something private.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde hides a wry smile with her hand. “I’m not sure we should stand for that!” She whispers to her companions as they alight from the cab. “After all we have done to help him, one of us at least must sit in on that discussion.”

She calls out to the doctor,
“Doctor Blessing, before you go, we have aided you as promised; at least let some of us be part of that discussion with the young lady.”
Persuade,520
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Blessing hesitates.

“I’m not against it in principle of course, you've all been of the most marvelous assistance, but I’m not sure that Dr. Vandorff would approve. It’s probably best to wait until I send word.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perhaps at least some of us can come in," says Alexander. "I'm sure if we could speak to Dr. Vandorff, we could convince him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Blessing still looks uncertain.

“Well, I will have to ask him. If you’re absolutely sure.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The Captain goes to speak to the three cab drivers. "Lads, I'm hoping I can convince you to wait an hour or two here for us. There's a half crown in it for each of you, on top of your charge for bringing us out here and for taking us back. What do you say?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The cabbies agree to wait, and seeing that the companions are determined to enter, Blessing unlocks the gate and the party proceeds up the drive towards the main asylum building.

As it grows closer, it appears even more gloomy and forbidding than from at the gate. Its stone walls are cold and streaked with moss, crumbling and grey but still imposing, and all visible windows are barred and shuttered. Very little noise can be heard. A long veranda runs along the asylum’s front and sides, while at the south end a tall tower rises above the rest of the building; a tiny circular window in its conical roof suggests an attic room. Overall, the atmosphere is one of melancholy, neglect and despair.

Blessing leads the way to the main doors. Inside is an entryway furnished with wooden chairs and a coat tree.

“You’ll be more comfortable in the receiving room” he says, and he enters an adjoining room containing plush but ageing chairs, a divan, a desk, and numerous bookshelves containing many books.

“Please wait here while I consult with Dr. Vandorffsays Blessing, and he leads Miss Bayldon away down the corridor, closing the door behind him.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The Captain's scotch-induced haze is forcibly cleared by the depressing environment. He wanders over to read the book titles.

"Hmmm, I guess we have to decide if this is an institution that will keep society safe from that young woman. We know what she's done and is capable of."

"I wonder if we might find someone here who could explain those symbols she was carving into men? Or even why she was murdering them?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Looking at the book titles, many of them seem to be medical and psychological tomes, mostly written in English, German and Latin. The other subjects represented include philosophy, history and anthropology. There is nothing about the occult.
OOC,If examining the books, you can make a halved Spot Hidden roll.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry skims the book titles but nothing catches his eye. 'So what's our plan if they whisk her away and kick us out?'
Harry Spot Hidden 66%,0
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Mephistophilis,Apologies for not replying to Harry in the cab, this week has been a nightmare due to Boris' lockdown 3.0. Anyway Melody agrees completely with Harry and I'd planned for her to say much the same thing.
"If they kick us out, we should go to the police," says Melody, "Either that or we go to Nash wi' everything we know.

"This Doctor Blessin' ain't given me any reason to trust 'im at all."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

Keeping an eye on the door, lest he return, Vic said quietly, ”There seems to be some confusion about who the woman is. She thinks she’s Annie Bayldon but Dr. Blessing thinks she is called Joan Bayldon and that Annie was her mother’s name. He’s planning to hypnotise her - he thinks she is repressing memories, but of what, he wouldn’t say.”

She thought for a moment. ”I think it might be useful if we were there when that happened. I’m not sure I completely trust Dr. Blessing.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde, out of habit, is drawn to the books.
Spot hidden,40/2 0
“I agree, we simply must have someone watching the hypnotism if that happens. Maybe this Dr. Vandorff might be persuaded by a scientific reason.” She looks at Alexander and Crozier.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Melody follows Isolde across to the bookshelf.
Half Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden(60%)/2 (30%): 0 Curses again :evil:
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

Seeing Isolde and Melody examine the books. Vic took a wander over to the bookshelf to look for herself.
Spot Hidden (25%/2),0

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”