Chapter 9: October 31st

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 9: October 31st

Post by HoneyDog »

Monday 31st October, 1881, 9 am

F Francis Haberdasher’s, Wentworth St., Spitalfields

The companions meet on a sunny but cold morning at the appointed time. Sure enough, Dr. Blessing is also there, shivering in the cold, but with a determined look on his face.

They enter the tiny, dingy shop, which is cluttered with bolts of cloth, racks of thread and lace, bins of buttons, and other sundry sewing suppliers. Francis himself stands behind the counter; a tiny, wizened old man. The sudden arrival of so many people causes him to scowl in suspicion.

“Can I ‘elp ye?” he asks.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 9: October 31st

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier greets his colleagues this morning in a dark blue nautical duffle coat, sturdy walking stick, and his captain's peaked cap. He is content to wait in the background and let someone more appropriate talk to the haberdasher.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde looks at the others and then steps forward.
“Good morning, Mr Francis. I wonder if we could have a moment of your time? We are looking for a missing person; a woman who we believe may have spoken to your ladies or even passed through your workshop. Could we talk to your girls? Of course, we’ll try not to disrupt their work.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Show him the cotton reel. See if he recognises it,” prompted Vic.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Workshop?” queries Francis in a high, reedy voice. “It’s just wot you see, luv. ‘Ere, you’re not looking for the same woman as the police, are you? I told ‘em, I sell dozens of bobbins ev’ry day. I can’t remember any p’ticular customer.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perhaps you might remember if you had a description of the woman," says Alexander.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Blessing steps forward.

“She’s about twenty years old, short, thin with long brown hair and fine features. She has blue eyes.”

He blushes slightly as he gives his description.

“Sir, I see dozens of women ev’ryday” complains Francis irritably. “I can’t be expected to remember all of ‘em. 'Specially wiv my eyesight.”

“Look” he continues. “There’s a bunch of tailoring shops up Flower & Dean Walk, and more further down the street. I just sell cloth and sundries ‘ere. If you fink she might be sewing, then yer moight find ‘her there. I told them police the same thing.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier steps out of the shop to find Flower and Dean Walk on his map. Every now and then, he checks the passing parade for any suspicious characters, knife-wielding nurses or the like.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“Thank you, Mr Francis. If you should think of anything that may help us, or see a woman of that description, please could you send us a message?” Isolde gives him a ‘Seekers of Enlightenment’ card with the Moon St address and enough coins to pay for a message boy.
“Doctor Blessing, what is the name of the young lady?” She asks before she turns and goes to stand in the street.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I’m not prepared to divulge that yet” says Blessing apologetically. He hurries down the street, in search of the tailoring shops.

Flower and Dean Walk is a narrow alley off Wentworth Street. Together with the shops on Wentworth St., it takes some time to make enquiries. However, at most of the shops the investigators are sternly warned away. It is nearing midday when in Flower & Dean Walk they encounter a proprietor who is less surly than most. Over his shoulder, the companions can see dozens of women, some mere girls, huddled over tables and sewing machines, working on everything from men’s shorts to baby hoods.

The man sullenly listens to the description of the missing nurse. Persuaded by Blessing with a few shillings to loosen his tongue, he says:

“Ain’t no girl like tha’ ‘ere. But chances are, if she’s workin’ around ‘ere, she’ll be staying at one o’ the dosses in Thrawl or Dean Streets.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Is the asylum near here?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,No, you're deep in the East End. At that time I think Hackney Wick, where the asylum is located, was considered as suburban. It's probably a 20-30 minute train ride.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"She doesn't work nearby," says Alexander, "but why would she be shopping here if she didn't live nearby? She could take the train to work, I suppose."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"I think the gentlemen is saying that she is likely to be staying in one of the lodging houses in this area, if she is indeed getting employment at one of these establishments" explains Blessing. "Perhaps we should conduct our searches there."
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

"Very well, ladies and gentlemen, doss houses in Thrawl or Dean first?" The Captain has a cigar between his teeth and is enjoying being out in what passes for "fresh" air in the East End.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Perhaps we shouldn't all arrive mob handed, frighten her off' says Harry, 'But without the doctor we won't be able to identify her.'
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,Roll Know.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry Know 55%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Pass  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,It occurs to Harry that dosshouses are usually populated by very poor and desperate people. The companions need to tread warily.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry looks concerned, 'A dosshouse is not somewhere you just turn up and start looking around, there will be a lot of poor and desperate people. We need to tread carefully.'

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”