Page 1 of 1

Chapter 8: October 30th

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:39 pm
by HoneyDog
Sunday 30th October, 1881, 10 am

Swanlea School, Brady St., Whitechapel

Despite it being a Sunday, the urgency of the current situation means that the inquests into the recent murders continues, even though it seems that coroner Partington-White’s holiday is ruined, as he continually informs the participants, although no-one seems to care. The coroner is looking increasingly frazzled; his usually neat appearance is disheveled, and it is clear that the strain of holding these sometimes raucous and chaotic sessions is getting the better of him.

Today is no exception, and the number of attendant rowdies seems to be continually growing. The shout in protest and insult the officials on duty, leading to multiple ejections and arrests. The name of ‘Jill the Ripper’ is heard through the crowd.

Officially present are Inspector Spaulding and Sergeant Craig, for once giving evidence and out of disguise. Apart from the usual reporters, there are unfortunately no other familiar faces to be seen.

Because of the unrest, the current Vernon inquest is quickly brought to a close, with the announcement of a verdict of murder by person or persons unknown. Partington-White announces that the inquest into Charles Pettit, the fourth victim, will begin that afternoon at 2pm.

Re: Chapter 8: October 30th

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:13 pm
by aine
“Oh dear, poor Mr Partington-White, I do feel sorry for him. This raucous rabble is enough to fray anyone’s nerves.” Says Isolde as they prepare to leave after the hearing.
“Harry, are you able to ask your source about the spool of thread before he leaves and then we must find some lunch before the inquest starts.”

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:44 pm
by Mephistophilis
After Sergeant Craig gives his evidence Harry will look for the opportunity to talk to him surreptitiously. 'Sergeant, how goes the investigation? Can't say we're having a lot of success ourselves. Something fishy going on at the asylum though, young doctor popping up all around the town, my colleagues intend to approach him and pump him for more information, apparently my demeanour is too humble for such purposes.' He gives a little mock bow. 'I was hoping you could do me a favour, the bobbin found at the site of the Vernon murder, my female associates tell me that these are often marked with the shop where they were purchased, if you could find out if the spool had anything written on it we could pursue that line of enquiry.'

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:14 am
by HoneyDog
Craig takes Harry aside so that they can talk privately.

“As far as the asylum goes, I’ve heard nothing. There’s no escapes reported. Its reputation is pretty much as you might expect for an establishment like that; not somewhere you want to end up in, but I don’t hear about anything particularly egregious.”

He looks around the room, before taking out a small notebook from his pocket.

“The bobbin is the first real clue we got. It hasn’t really led us anywhere, but it helped to narrow our search. I’m telling you this as the locals have been investigating, but haven’t really got anywhere, so if you do find anything, I’d appreciate being told.”

He consults his notes.

“The bobbin was sold by a shop called F. Francis Haberdashers, in Wentworth Street. Francis says that he cannot remember who bought the spool, and we have no reason to doubt him, but you're welcome to talk to him. There are a number of sweatshops in the area, but as we have no idea as to the woman’s appearance, it’s not easy to look for her. But we’ll get her, hopefully before the citizens decide to start taking matters into their own hands.”

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:17 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain pulls his rather durable-looking pocket-watch out and glances at the time. "I normally try to make a service on Sundays, wherever I am across the world. Never hurts to have the Almighty onside."

"I may look for a late service after this afternoon's hearing. Perhaps in a more civilised part of London though."

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We can use all the help we can get," says Alexander.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Thank you Sergeant' says Harry, 'I'm hoping our lady investigators might be able to offer some leads, I will keep you updated.'

Harry returns to his companions and recounts what Sergeant Craig has told him.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:23 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

"Good work, handsomely done." The Captain discreetly pulls out his map and marks the location of F Francis Haberdashers, assuming he can find Wentworth Street.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:55 am
by Philulhu
“Hopefully this Mr Francis will give us something to go on,” said Vic. “But I don’t suppose he will be open on a Sunday, will he?”

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"That is a good point," says Alexander. "First thing tomorrow, then. In the meantime, we should get some lunch before the afternoon session."

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:41 am
by HoneyDog
1 pm sees the inquest into the death of Charles Pettit begin. Because of this, there are many more attendees compared to the morning, and the room is almost full. Inspector Spaulding is again giving testimony, and he is joined by Dr. Raffin. In the crowd the young doctor from Malbray is witnessed, and sitting away from him are the two ruffians from the asylum. They are accompanied by a third man, who gets the attention of many of the other people present. He is a huge man, almost seven feet tall, and he must weigh close to 300 pounds. His black hair is long, and is complemented by a long beard.

Spaulding begins giving testimony. He reports that Pettit, aged 24, was a sailor from Liverpool. His body was found just after 2 am on the morning of the 28th by a serving girl, behind The Blind Horse public house in Denmark Street. His throat had been cut cleanly, apparently with a straight-razor. His shirt was cut open and a design carved into his chest; a small triangle within a larger triangle, both enclosed within a circle.

As the proceedings are drawing to a close, and Partington-White announces a resumption from tomorrow afternoon, a rumour is circulating the crowd, that Pettit was last seen leaving the pub in the company of a young woman.
OOC,If you are looking at the two ne'er-do-wells during the proceedings, you can roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we approach the doctor now, Captain?" Alexander asks Captain Crozier.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (67% skill) about the goons: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:40 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier regards the two ruffians with disapproval.
Spot Hidden 50%,[dice]0[/dice] [ooc]Win![/ooc]
Turning to Dr Campbell, he nods. "No time like the present. Let's go and have a cordial conversation."

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:21 pm
by aine
“And what might a serving girl be doing behind a drinking establishment at that time of night!” Exclaims Isolde with disapproval. She takes out a notebook and draws the symbol with the triangles and circle. “Another unfathomable symbol.” She mutters, frowning at it, turning it this way and that.
During the inquest she keeps an eye on th young doctor and the incredible giant.
Spot hidden,40[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:29 am
by Philulhu
Vic studies the two ner-do-wells, to see if their behaviour gives anything away.
Spot Hidden,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:49 am
by Raiko
aine wrote:“And what might a serving girl be doing behind a drinking establishment at that time of night!” Exclaims Isolde with disapproval.
"Depends what she's servin' Miss Isolde," says Melody quietly.
Spot Hidden,Melody - Spot Hidden(60%): [dice]0[/dice]
Normally sharp eyed, Melody finds herself completely distracted by sight of the giant man accompanying the asylum doctor.

"Please take care Doctor Campbell, that man is huge!"

"'E'd snap you both like twigs,"
she adds under her breath as Alexander and Crozier move away.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, we'll be careful," says Alexander, looking up - and up - at the large man.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:12 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry takes up his usual position at the back of the room surveying proceedings. He notes the doctor, the two scruffy men, and their new companion. He particularly focuses on the asylum workers.
Harry Spot Hidden 66%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Get in  

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
Harry & Vic & Crozier,From time to time during the proceedings, the two men glance over at the doctor. It is plain that there is some hostility towards him being shown.
Isolde,Isolde doesn’t notice anything particular about the men. They seem intent on the proceedings. The doctor looks much more tired than he did previously, and his suit is soiled.
As Crozier and Alexander approach the doctor, he regards them warily. He seems even more tired and disheveled than previously.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:07 pm
by aine
“Excuse me one moment!” Isolde says to the other women and she walks purposefully after Crozier and Alexander,
“Wait up.” She says, catching up. “I wonder if it would be better to speak to the doctor when you are not being watched by our three thugs. There’s obviously some feud between them; the doctor is looking tired and stressed and he might appreciate a degree of consideration and tact.”

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Alexander, stopping. "We'll wait until they've gone their separate ways, and then speak to the doctor."

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:38 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"I bow to your instincts, Miss Isolde." Crozier gives the asylum doctor a glance. "But if they all leave together, we shall have to approach that doctor come what may."

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:27 am
by HoneyDog
Not to fear, the doctor seems to show no signs of wanting to accompany his fellow Malbray colleagues, who exit without him.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:46 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"Excellent, let us introduce ourselves, Dr Campbell."

Crozier approaches the doctor and politely raises his top hat. "Doctor, my name is Captain Crozier, I am a merchant mariner. And this is my colleague Dr Campbell, a natural philosopher. I'm sorry to intrude unannounced but we must speak with you most urgently."

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:02 am
by HoneyDog
The doctor nods warily, tired eyes blinking..

"How do you know that I'm a doctor?" he asks, suspicion in his voice.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:15 am
by Philulhu
As the three men left, Vic slipped to the doorway, to see which way they went.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:33 pm
by HoneyDog
Although the area is crowded, the tall man makes it easy to see where the men are going. They are leaving the school grounds for the street outside.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:36 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry sees Vic leaving after the men and decides to tail at a distance. He's not very comfortable with her seeing them alone but suspects his presence won't help things either.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander lets Captain Crozier answer. He only knows the man is a doctor because the others told him.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:19 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier regards the doctor with earnest concern. "I am no dissembler, sir, I shall speak straight and plain, as is my way. My colleagues and I are seeking answers to these terrible murders. We are amateurs in the best sense of the word and we have no connection with the authorities."

"One of my colleagues is an enquiry agent who was investigating two ruffians connected with your asylum and who seem interested in these coroner's hearings. While making enquiries regarding them, he observed and then spoke with you. You identified yourself to him as a doctor at the asylum."

"Doctor, we do not seek fame or publicity or money. We hope that our skills and expertise might help put an end to these murders. Anything you can tell us may help. Nothing is too outlandish, no story will be treated as unbelievable, if it can help solve the mystery."

"And as a gentleman, I give you my word we can keep any secret you share with us private and confidential, unless lives are at stake."

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:05 am
by HoneyDog
Crozier’s impassioned speech clearly moves the doctor. He opens his mouth to speak, but shuts it again. He casts his eyes down.

“I’m sorry” he mutters. “I don’t think that I can be of any help.”

He makes to move on.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:29 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"Doctor, please, further lives may be lost. If you fear for yourself or others, we are not without connections and can protect you."

"If you think we will not believe you, I can assure you my colleagues only enquire into the most bizarre and difficult of situations. I myself have spent nearly 40 years sailing the world and have seen wonders incredible and terrifying."

"Will you not give us the benefit of the doubt?"

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:47 am
by HoneyDog
The doctor hesitates again.

“Have you or your colleagues talked to the other men from the asylum?” he eventually asks.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:53 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier nods. "As I said, I shall be completely honest with you. I tried last Wednesday to speak to the two fellows who have been attending most of the hearings. I even offered them a few coins if they would assist but they were having none of it. They refused to talk to me, were abusive, and departed."

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:58 am
by HoneyDog
"I see" says the doctor. He looks from Crozier to Alexander, and back again. "How many are in your party?" he asks.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:27 pm
by Snapper
OOC,Can Crozier make a Psychology roll to decide if he trusts the doctor?

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:22 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,You can roll Psychology, but I think it's too early to tell whether the doctor can be trusted. You will need to make sure that he can trust [i]you[/i].

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:41 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:
Psychology 40%,[dice]0[/dice] [ooc]Fail.[/ooc]
"Well, we belong to a society with more members, needless to say. Specifically involved with the matters arising in these coroner's hearings, there's me and my colleague here, Dr Campbell. You've met Brown, the enquiry agent. There are also two well educated young ladies and Dr Campbell's maid-servant."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:51 am
by HoneyDog
The doctor nods slowly.

“You are unconnected to the authorities? What is your interest in these murders?”

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Melody is more than a maid," says Alexander. "She's my housekeeper and laboratory assistant. Anyhow, some concerned citizens brought the first murder to our group's attention and requested that we investigate. As we began to do so, more murders occurred. We want to make sure the citizens of East London are safe, and that the murderer - or murderers - is stopped from killing and brought to justice."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:50 am
by HoneyDog
“Justice?”

The doctor grimaces.

“So you would take her to the police. I’m afraid I cannot help you gentlemen.”

Again, he moves off.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not necessarily," says Alexander quickly. "We did not know the circumstances at the outset, and we are still largely ignorant of them. If she belongs in your institution, and it sounds like she does, then she would not be turned over to the police, but instead to its care so that she can get the help she needs."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:16 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander’s words produced the desired effect. The doctor stops and turns around again.

“Yes” he nods. “It is treatment, medical treatment, that she needs, not justice or punishment.”

He looks around him to see if they are being observed. After a moment’s hesitation, he comes to a decision.

“Very well gentlemen. I will talk with your group. But not here. In fact, we should leave this area completely.”

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:43 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier's ugly face lights up with a beatific smile. "Ah, well now, that is something I can assist with. May I suggest we collect our colleagues from outside. Then we hail a few cabs and head to my club, the Naval and Military in Mayfair. I'm certain I can arrange a private meeting room for us there. With appropriate refreshments, most importantly."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:12 pm
by HoneyDog
“That’s a kind offer, Captain, but I would think the establishment would be off-limits to your female members. Besides, Mayfair is a little far for me. I will need to return to Malbray. I know of a suitable place.”

A couple of carriages are hailed and the doctor asks to be taken to Finsbury. There, they stop at a small restaurant with private rooms. Safely ensconced, the doctor begins to speak.

“Firstly, I must ask that you tell me what you have discovered through your investigations so far.”
OOC,You don’t have to describe and dialogue everything for the sake of our sanity, but how much do you want to tell him?

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:56 pm
by aine
In the carriage on the way to Finsbury, Isolde talks to her companions,
“The Doctor seems to be our best hope of a lead.” She says. “It almost seems as if he knows who the woman is who is involved; if we can help him help her then we can keep the local people safe. And that, surely is our main objective here?

I also feel we should minimise mention of our ne’er-do-Wells for the moment as it seems to antagonise him, as does any mention of authority for some reason.”

Once in the private room she introduces herself and then explains that the Seekers were considering that a woman was involved with the murderer somehow and had tracked down a place where she may be staying. They were still working on the meaning of the symbols. She looks to her companions for other evidence.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:13 pm
by Snapper
OOC,Had we tracked down a place a potential murderess may be staying at? Other than the doctor's asylum.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:47 am
by HoneyDog
At the news of the killer's location, the doctor becomes animated.

"You know where she is staying? I must accompany you!"

He stands up as if to leave immediately.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

This is news to Alexander, who listens with interest.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:38 am
by aine
“No, no, I’m sorry, I should have been more specific. A placed she may have passed through; a haberdashers in the East End. With their casual use of female workers we might find a girl who knows her. That was our next port of call and if you could give us a description, Doctor, then it would vastly help our efforts.” Isolde feels sorry to have got everyone’s hopes up.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:00 am
by HoneyDog
“Oh” says the doctor, looking crestfallen. “Still, that is good news, and I trust that I can accompany your party.”

He sits back down again, suddenly looking very tired.

“I’m sure you must have many questions for me. I will try to answer them, although I warn you that for now the identity of whom we’re looking for must remain my secret for now, until we find her. My name is Christopher Blessing, and for the last two years I have been assistant physician at Malbray Asylum. The… killer…”

He pauses – saying this obviously pains him.

“We believe to be a nurse at the asylum. She disappeared before the killings started. I do not know her precise motives, but there is a history of hereditary madness in her family. I wish to find her, and bring her back so that she can be treated. I’m certain that if she is indeed responsible, it is because she is not of sound mind, and my duty is to help her. I’m not very convinced that police and courts would treat her in a humane manner, thus my reluctance to involve them.”

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:58 am
by Philulhu
”So this is someone you know and would recognise?” asked Vic.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:03 am
by HoneyDog
"Yes" says Blessing, colouring slightly. "We don't have a large complement of staff."

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:06 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry notes the doctor's reaction, 'Somebody you're perhaps close to?'

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:04 pm
by HoneyDog
Blessing’s colour deepens.

“The point is, if you have an idea of where to find her, I will help identify her. But only on the condition she is returned to Malbray. If you inform the police, then I will deny that we ever had this conversation.”

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:51 pm
by aine
“Dr Blessing.” Isolde says gently, “It seems likely that your nurse may indeed be involved in the killings but, and this is important, she may well not be the murderer. All I’m saying is there may be hope for her yet and you should remain steadfast.
You see, the way the murders have happened; it would be difficult for a woman to perform and it seems possible that two people were involved. Could she have maybe been led astray?”
And may I ask why you refer to them as ‘killings’ and not ‘murders?”

“I think I speak for all of us; we will not go to the authorities from now on. It seems this case will require a high degree of tact and compassion; something I’m afraid our esteemed police force often falls short on.” Isolde looks at her companions to see if they concur.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:11 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry meets Isolde's gaze and very slightly inclines his head. He is deeply uncomfortable at the idea that they would not inform the police that they have a lead on the murder but he decides to keep that to himself for now. He will have to navigate his relationship with Sergeant Craig even more carefully in future.

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:19 am
by Philulhu
Vic wasn’t sure how Isolde planned to navigate the moral maze she was setting herself but Blessing wouldn’t help without their concurrence, so she too nodded her head.

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:07 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing

“I don’t even know for sure that she is responsible. But I don’t get the impression from the inquests that there is more than one killer. I call them killings, because it pains me to think about them as murders, although that is what they undoubtedly are. Are you planning to conduct your investigations tomorrow morning?”

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:08 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Another cigar between his teeth, Crozier produces his map and clears his throat diplomatically, keen to get on with practical matters. "Dr Blessing, might I ask you to have a look at this? I've tried to map the locations of the killings, and I've noted the other details."

"Do the symbols mean anything to you? 'V's and triangles and 'X's and squares?"

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:14 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing shakes his head.

“No, neither the symbols nor the purpose behind them is known to us. I’ve been trying to think about what they mean, but I really have no idea. I’ve never seen anything like them before. As for the locations, it seems to me to be more of a matter of opportunity. She is obviously targeting inebriated men.”

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:15 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"Very well. My next thought is to assess any possible opposition we may face while trying to locate the nurse. Who are these other three ruffians we've seen and what is their connection to this?"

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:45 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing

“They are also searching for her. The reason I am conducting my search independently is because, frankly, I do not trust them to treat her respectfully; they may well hurt her. If the big one, Mansche, is present, she would be safe as he is not a bad man, but the other two are well, frankly, cruel and sadistic. They treat the inmates terribly if they can get away with it.”

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's also Estes Hackett and his vigilantes," says Alexander. "They've made it quite clear they'll string her up if they find her first."

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:47 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing nods.

“Yes, she’s in great danger. And she’s also of course dangerous to those around her. She must be found. I will try to join forces with you tomorrow so search for her. She won’t be easy to find. You say this Haberdasher’s might have information?”

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:18 am
by Philulhu
”We certainly hope so,” replied Vic. “If we can identify the buyer of the cotton reel, it may lead us to where she has been working.”

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:41 am
by HoneyDog
"Excellent!" exclaims Blessing. He is looking more cheerful than previously. He checks his watch.

"I should return to Malbray soon. Let us meet tomorrow at this haberdashers".

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:24 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier, nods, happy to have a plan of action.

"Right, batten down the hatches, ladies and gentlemen, and be ready for anything. Tomorrow morning we start the search. Where shall we meet, and at what time?"

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:30 pm
by HoneyDog
Blessing

"It appears that the inquest resumes in the afternoon, so if you give me the address of the haberdashers, I can meet you there at 9 am".

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:32 pm
by Snapper
OOC,Could Crozier make another psych roll at this point to make some assessment of Dr Blessing's state of mind?

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:19 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sure!

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:02 pm
by aine
Isolde says nothing but inclines her head. She does, however, want a private word with her companions before the morrow.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:26 am
by Snapper
Crozier:
Psychology 40%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:53 am
by HoneyDog
Crozier,Blessing seems to be energized by the conversation. He is obviously motivated by concern for the woman, and this feeling appears genuine.
Blessing stands up again.

"I really should take my leave" he announces. "I must thank you all for your assistance, and I will see you tomorrow."

He gets the address of the haberdasher before he leaves.
OOC,You can stop him if there is anything else you want to ask.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome," says Alexander, "and thank you, Doctor. We shall see you in the morning."

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:28 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier tips his top hat. "Until the morning, doctor."

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:51 pm
by aine
Isolde waits for the doctor to go before turning to the others.
“I’m not sure what else we could do; more murders will happen if we dont catch the culprit soon and the doctor is our best lead; he knows who she is. He’s so jittery it seems to be the best thing to go along with him.”

Isolde sighs, “I don’t like keeping the police in the dark either and we’ll have to be careful not to become accomplices. If you’re not happy to meet the doctor on his own grounds tomorrow, I do understand.”

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:58 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry grimaces, 'I'm no gentleman, if I need to report this doctor to the police to save more lives I will, whatever we've promised him. It seems to me his fancy for this woman has put the lives of many people in danger.'

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:05 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier smokes his cigar in silence, waiting for the others.

"I am confident this man's concern for the nurse he talks about is quite genuine, and I'm a reasonable judge of character. I believe we can trust him to act accordingly, for what it's worth."

"Brown, we all want to stop this woman. But that is not the same as surrendering her to the police. Events may satisfy us that she is no longer a danger to anyone once back at the asylum. In the meantime, we need the doctor's assistance, if only to identify her. What I can say without doubt is he won't help us if he thinks we'll involve the police."

"I would also say that Dr Blessing and Dr Campbell here have reached a gentlemen's agreement, however little you care about such matters. For anyone to break that agreement would be to dishonour the Seekers."

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I quite agree," says Alexander in a firm tone. "I willna go back on my word."

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:05 am
by Philulhu
Vic looked uncertain. ”If the woman has committed murder, she should face justice, surely?”

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:31 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain waves his cigar. "If the agreement we have sees the doctor help us find her, and then the nurse herself spend the rest of her life in a lunatic asylum, how is that not punishment enough? Especially if it means we find her before she takes another life."

"And what does justice mean to such a disordered mind? Should she be hanged?"

"None of this changes the basic proposition, Miss Vic, that we have come to an agreement with Dr Blessing, in order to obtain his assistance. We are honour-bound not to break it."

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:25 pm
by aine
“Yes, the seekers often have to tread where the police dare not or can not and we must maintain our integrity by keeping our promises. And I agree with Captain Crozier; what justice is another innocent man’s death?” Isolde shakes her head.

“Tomorrow we need the nurse’s description from the doctor and I feel he may be loath to give it. But I think we’ll want to talk to the women in the sweatshop and that might work better if we ladies speak to them.”

She shrugs, “I’m only guessing of course. But they may stay mum if the band of gentlemen arrive and start asking questions. What do you think? If so, the doctor will have to be persuaded to stay outside.”

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:21 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry shrugs, 'The luxury of deciding exactly what to do with the killer is one we can return to when we have her, if it is even her.'

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps we could speak to the proprietor while the ladies speak to the workers," suggests Alexander.

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:40 am
by Philulhu
Vic rolled her eyes. This felt like the men talking to the managers while the female members of the society would be relegated to talking to the staff...

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:15 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain rises. "Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm away to my club. Outdoor clothes tomorrow, I believe." He tips his hat to the assembly, and heads off to hail a cab to the Naval and Military.

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Good night, Captain," says Alexander. "See you in the morning."

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:12 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I think the discussion is finished - I can move things on to the shop.