Chapter 8: October 30th

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 8: October 30th

Post by HoneyDog »

Sunday 30th October, 1881, 10 am

Swanlea School, Brady St., Whitechapel

Despite it being a Sunday, the urgency of the current situation means that the inquests into the recent murders continues, even though it seems that coroner Partington-White’s holiday is ruined, as he continually informs the participants, although no-one seems to care. The coroner is looking increasingly frazzled; his usually neat appearance is disheveled, and it is clear that the strain of holding these sometimes raucous and chaotic sessions is getting the better of him.

Today is no exception, and the number of attendant rowdies seems to be continually growing. The shout in protest and insult the officials on duty, leading to multiple ejections and arrests. The name of ‘Jill the Ripper’ is heard through the crowd.

Officially present are Inspector Spaulding and Sergeant Craig, for once giving evidence and out of disguise. Apart from the usual reporters, there are unfortunately no other familiar faces to be seen.

Because of the unrest, the current Vernon inquest is quickly brought to a close, with the announcement of a verdict of murder by person or persons unknown. Partington-White announces that the inquest into Charles Pettit, the fourth victim, will begin that afternoon at 2pm.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 8: October 30th

Post by aine »

“Oh dear, poor Mr Partington-White, I do feel sorry for him. This raucous rabble is enough to fray anyone’s nerves.” Says Isolde as they prepare to leave after the hearing.
“Harry, are you able to ask your source about the spool of thread before he leaves and then we must find some lunch before the inquest starts.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

After Sergeant Craig gives his evidence Harry will look for the opportunity to talk to him surreptitiously. 'Sergeant, how goes the investigation? Can't say we're having a lot of success ourselves. Something fishy going on at the asylum though, young doctor popping up all around the town, my colleagues intend to approach him and pump him for more information, apparently my demeanour is too humble for such purposes.' He gives a little mock bow. 'I was hoping you could do me a favour, the bobbin found at the site of the Vernon murder, my female associates tell me that these are often marked with the shop where they were purchased, if you could find out if the spool had anything written on it we could pursue that line of enquiry.'
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Craig takes Harry aside so that they can talk privately.

“As far as the asylum goes, I’ve heard nothing. There’s no escapes reported. Its reputation is pretty much as you might expect for an establishment like that; not somewhere you want to end up in, but I don’t hear about anything particularly egregious.”

He looks around the room, before taking out a small notebook from his pocket.

“The bobbin is the first real clue we got. It hasn’t really led us anywhere, but it helped to narrow our search. I’m telling you this as the locals have been investigating, but haven’t really got anywhere, so if you do find anything, I’d appreciate being told.”

He consults his notes.

“The bobbin was sold by a shop called F. Francis Haberdashers, in Wentworth Street. Francis says that he cannot remember who bought the spool, and we have no reason to doubt him, but you're welcome to talk to him. There are a number of sweatshops in the area, but as we have no idea as to the woman’s appearance, it’s not easy to look for her. But we’ll get her, hopefully before the citizens decide to start taking matters into their own hands.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The Captain pulls his rather durable-looking pocket-watch out and glances at the time. "I normally try to make a service on Sundays, wherever I am across the world. Never hurts to have the Almighty onside."

"I may look for a late service after this afternoon's hearing. Perhaps in a more civilised part of London though."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We can use all the help we can get," says Alexander.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Thank you Sergeant' says Harry, 'I'm hoping our lady investigators might be able to offer some leads, I will keep you updated.'

Harry returns to his companions and recounts what Sergeant Craig has told him.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

"Good work, handsomely done." The Captain discreetly pulls out his map and marks the location of F Francis Haberdashers, assuming he can find Wentworth Street.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

“Hopefully this Mr Francis will give us something to go on,” said Vic. “But I don’t suppose he will be open on a Sunday, will he?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That is a good point," says Alexander. "First thing tomorrow, then. In the meantime, we should get some lunch before the afternoon session."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

1 pm sees the inquest into the death of Charles Pettit begin. Because of this, there are many more attendees compared to the morning, and the room is almost full. Inspector Spaulding is again giving testimony, and he is joined by Dr. Raffin. In the crowd the young doctor from Malbray is witnessed, and sitting away from him are the two ruffians from the asylum. They are accompanied by a third man, who gets the attention of many of the other people present. He is a huge man, almost seven feet tall, and he must weigh close to 300 pounds. His black hair is long, and is complemented by a long beard.

Spaulding begins giving testimony. He reports that Pettit, aged 24, was a sailor from Liverpool. His body was found just after 2 am on the morning of the 28th by a serving girl, behind The Blind Horse public house in Denmark Street. His throat had been cut cleanly, apparently with a straight-razor. His shirt was cut open and a design carved into his chest; a small triangle within a larger triangle, both enclosed within a circle.

As the proceedings are drawing to a close, and Partington-White announces a resumption from tomorrow afternoon, a rumour is circulating the crowd, that Pettit was last seen leaving the pub in the company of a young woman.
OOC,If you are looking at the two ne'er-do-wells during the proceedings, you can roll Spot Hidden.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Shall we approach the doctor now, Captain?" Alexander asks Captain Crozier.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (67% skill) about the goons: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier regards the two ruffians with disapproval.
Spot Hidden 50%,[dice]0[/dice] [ooc]Win![/ooc]
Turning to Dr Campbell, he nods. "No time like the present. Let's go and have a cordial conversation."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“And what might a serving girl be doing behind a drinking establishment at that time of night!” Exclaims Isolde with disapproval. She takes out a notebook and draws the symbol with the triangles and circle. “Another unfathomable symbol.” She mutters, frowning at it, turning it this way and that.
During the inquest she keeps an eye on th young doctor and the incredible giant.
Spot hidden,40[dice]0[/dice]
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Vic studies the two ner-do-wells, to see if their behaviour gives anything away.
Spot Hidden,[dice]0[/dice]
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

aine wrote:“And what might a serving girl be doing behind a drinking establishment at that time of night!” Exclaims Isolde with disapproval.
"Depends what she's servin' Miss Isolde," says Melody quietly.
Spot Hidden,Melody - Spot Hidden(60%): [dice]0[/dice]
Normally sharp eyed, Melody finds herself completely distracted by sight of the giant man accompanying the asylum doctor.

"Please take care Doctor Campbell, that man is huge!"

"'E'd snap you both like twigs,"
she adds under her breath as Alexander and Crozier move away.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, we'll be careful," says Alexander, looking up - and up - at the large man.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry takes up his usual position at the back of the room surveying proceedings. He notes the doctor, the two scruffy men, and their new companion. He particularly focuses on the asylum workers.
Harry Spot Hidden 66%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Get in  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry & Vic & Crozier,From time to time during the proceedings, the two men glance over at the doctor. It is plain that there is some hostility towards him being shown.
Isolde,Isolde doesn’t notice anything particular about the men. They seem intent on the proceedings. The doctor looks much more tired than he did previously, and his suit is soiled.
As Crozier and Alexander approach the doctor, he regards them warily. He seems even more tired and disheveled than previously.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Excuse me one moment!” Isolde says to the other women and she walks purposefully after Crozier and Alexander,
“Wait up.” She says, catching up. “I wonder if it would be better to speak to the doctor when you are not being watched by our three thugs. There’s obviously some feud between them; the doctor is looking tired and stressed and he might appreciate a degree of consideration and tact.”

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”