Chapter 8: October 30th

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 8: October 30th

Post by HoneyDog »

“Justice?”

The doctor grimaces.

“So you would take her to the police. I’m afraid I cannot help you gentlemen.”

Again, he moves off.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Not necessarily," says Alexander quickly. "We did not know the circumstances at the outset, and we are still largely ignorant of them. If she belongs in your institution, and it sounds like she does, then she would not be turned over to the police, but instead to its care so that she can get the help she needs."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Alexander’s words produced the desired effect. The doctor stops and turns around again.

“Yes” he nods. “It is treatment, medical treatment, that she needs, not justice or punishment.”

He looks around him to see if they are being observed. After a moment’s hesitation, he comes to a decision.

“Very well gentlemen. I will talk with your group. But not here. In fact, we should leave this area completely.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier's ugly face lights up with a beatific smile. "Ah, well now, that is something I can assist with. May I suggest we collect our colleagues from outside. Then we hail a few cabs and head to my club, the Naval and Military in Mayfair. I'm certain I can arrange a private meeting room for us there. With appropriate refreshments, most importantly."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“That’s a kind offer, Captain, but I would think the establishment would be off-limits to your female members. Besides, Mayfair is a little far for me. I will need to return to Malbray. I know of a suitable place.”

A couple of carriages are hailed and the doctor asks to be taken to Finsbury. There, they stop at a small restaurant with private rooms. Safely ensconced, the doctor begins to speak.

“Firstly, I must ask that you tell me what you have discovered through your investigations so far.”
OOC,You don’t have to describe and dialogue everything for the sake of our sanity, but how much do you want to tell him?
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

In the carriage on the way to Finsbury, Isolde talks to her companions,
“The Doctor seems to be our best hope of a lead.” She says. “It almost seems as if he knows who the woman is who is involved; if we can help him help her then we can keep the local people safe. And that, surely is our main objective here?

I also feel we should minimise mention of our ne’er-do-Wells for the moment as it seems to antagonise him, as does any mention of authority for some reason.”

Once in the private room she introduces herself and then explains that the Seekers were considering that a woman was involved with the murderer somehow and had tracked down a place where she may be staying. They were still working on the meaning of the symbols. She looks to her companions for other evidence.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC,Had we tracked down a place a potential murderess may be staying at? Other than the doctor's asylum.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

At the news of the killer's location, the doctor becomes animated.

"You know where she is staying? I must accompany you!"

He stands up as if to leave immediately.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

This is news to Alexander, who listens with interest.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“No, no, I’m sorry, I should have been more specific. A placed she may have passed through; a haberdashers in the East End. With their casual use of female workers we might find a girl who knows her. That was our next port of call and if you could give us a description, Doctor, then it would vastly help our efforts.” Isolde feels sorry to have got everyone’s hopes up.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Oh” says the doctor, looking crestfallen. “Still, that is good news, and I trust that I can accompany your party.”

He sits back down again, suddenly looking very tired.

“I’m sure you must have many questions for me. I will try to answer them, although I warn you that for now the identity of whom we’re looking for must remain my secret for now, until we find her. My name is Christopher Blessing, and for the last two years I have been assistant physician at Malbray Asylum. The… killer…”

He pauses – saying this obviously pains him.

“We believe to be a nurse at the asylum. She disappeared before the killings started. I do not know her precise motives, but there is a history of hereditary madness in her family. I wish to find her, and bring her back so that she can be treated. I’m certain that if she is indeed responsible, it is because she is not of sound mind, and my duty is to help her. I’m not very convinced that police and courts would treat her in a humane manner, thus my reluctance to involve them.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”So this is someone you know and would recognise?” asked Vic.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Yes" says Blessing, colouring slightly. "We don't have a large complement of staff."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry notes the doctor's reaction, 'Somebody you're perhaps close to?'
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Blessing’s colour deepens.

“The point is, if you have an idea of where to find her, I will help identify her. But only on the condition she is returned to Malbray. If you inform the police, then I will deny that we ever had this conversation.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Dr Blessing.” Isolde says gently, “It seems likely that your nurse may indeed be involved in the killings but, and this is important, she may well not be the murderer. All I’m saying is there may be hope for her yet and you should remain steadfast.
You see, the way the murders have happened; it would be difficult for a woman to perform and it seems possible that two people were involved. Could she have maybe been led astray?”
And may I ask why you refer to them as ‘killings’ and not ‘murders?”

“I think I speak for all of us; we will not go to the authorities from now on. It seems this case will require a high degree of tact and compassion; something I’m afraid our esteemed police force often falls short on.” Isolde looks at her companions to see if they concur.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry meets Isolde's gaze and very slightly inclines his head. He is deeply uncomfortable at the idea that they would not inform the police that they have a lead on the murder but he decides to keep that to himself for now. He will have to navigate his relationship with Sergeant Craig even more carefully in future.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Vic wasn’t sure how Isolde planned to navigate the moral maze she was setting herself but Blessing wouldn’t help without their concurrence, so she too nodded her head.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Blessing

“I don’t even know for sure that she is responsible. But I don’t get the impression from the inquests that there is more than one killer. I call them killings, because it pains me to think about them as murders, although that is what they undoubtedly are. Are you planning to conduct your investigations tomorrow morning?”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Another cigar between his teeth, Crozier produces his map and clears his throat diplomatically, keen to get on with practical matters. "Dr Blessing, might I ask you to have a look at this? I've tried to map the locations of the killings, and I've noted the other details."

"Do the symbols mean anything to you? 'V's and triangles and 'X's and squares?"

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”