Chapter 6: October 28th

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 6: October 28th

Post by HoneyDog »

Friday 28th October, 1881, 9 am

Swanlea School, Brady St., Whitechapel

The same venue is used again for yet another session of the ongoing inquests. Today there are more journalists than usual, for the police have yet to catch the killer, and a dark rumour has begun to circulate through the crowd – news of another murder.

Partington-White ends the Rodrigues inquest with another verdict of death by foul play. Inspectors Cleveland and Spaulding look on, as does Sgt. Craig. Estes Hackett and his men are making a scene, berating the police for their lack of progress, and professing a quick end to the killer should they be caught. Hackett is whipping up the crowd, and he is summarily ejected before long. Also present at the proceedings are the two horrid individuals whom Capt. Crozier previously accosted, and sitting across the room from them is the young doctor from Malbray Asylum, looking tense and tired.

The Vernon inquest continues, with evidence being given by a local constable. He adds confirmation to the poor reputation of the deceased; namely that many local vagrants around the railyard were heard to cheer as Vernon’s body was removed. However, no witnesses to the slaying have come forward. A spool of thread was found very close to the body.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 6: October 28th

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier once again attends in suit, Inverness coat, and top hat. Prior to the inquest commencing, he regales the other Seekers with a tale of the jolly good pheasant being served at the club the night before. Crozier contrasts this with an unhappy experience some years earlier eating roast penguin while sailing in colder climates. He finishes by insisting he be allowed to take the entire entourage out for a good roasted avian, once this mystery is solved. But not penguin.

If he chances to catch the eyes of the two ruffians, he will give them his best look of steely disdain, and indeed contempt.

Later, after hearing further ghastly details, he turns to his colleagues. "I cannot fathom what the point is of carving these symbols on the victims. The murderer should be trying to sail for clearer waters, you should think. What mean these symbols?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Perhaps it is a message, or a cipher,” said Vic thoughtfully. “We talked about the letters V and X being Roman numerals, but the square would seem to discount that theory. I’m at a loss how else to explain it.”

She leaned forward and looked across to the more-established members of the Society and said, ”Do we know of anyone who might assist us?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry tries to find a way to talk to Sergeant Craig. 'See those two ugly fellow over there, and that nervous looking young doctor opposite. They're all from Malbray Asylum. It'd be worth you checking out what they're all so interested in.'
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde casts a surreptitious glance at Crozier’s belly, wondering where he puts all that food and then says,
“Do we know if that young doctor and our two ruffians know each other? They all come from the asylum but seem very different sorts. I could ask the doctor perhaps.

“And don’t forget, Harry, we are hoping you and Melody might investigate the Blimd Begger where Captain Crozier and I followed the ruffians to in the cab. It needs someone who can impersonate a working class citizen as it is a rough place.”

“I’m sure I’ve seen a book on ciphers and symbols at the library when I was researching a haunting in Elstree once. I could see if I can track it down.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Perhaps we could visit the library this afternoon?” said Vic, with a smile. She remembered spending long afternoons in Lord Armstrong’s library at Cragside, wiling away the time, browsing through his collection. But then she thought of the less pleasant revelations in the Forby’s library and her mood grew more sober.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier is still contemplating symbols. He takes a small notebook and pencil from a pocket. "What was the order of the symbols, does anyone recall?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

"I'm hopeless in libraries," says Melody, "As I recall, las' time I ended up just makin' everyone a cuppa tea.

"Per'aps that would be a good time fer me an' Harry to visit the Blind Beggar?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Guys, please be careful with the posts. I think Harry has approached Sgt. Craig?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd like to go to the library too," says Alexander. "I believe Miss Miller mentioned that the X was first, then the square, and then the V."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC,All good. Can the rest of us be sort of gossiping (nay, deliberating) among ourselves in the background while Harry chats to the good Sergeant? But we can be quiet until that conversation is finished if it helps.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,By all means, discuss your plans. I’ll presume Harry is in conversation with Sgt. Craig then.
Harry,Craig looks indiscreetly at the men Harry indicates. [color=#0000FF]“What makes you think they’re connected to this, Mr. Brown?"[/color] he asks.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry frowns, 'Not so obviously Sergeant! Well it is all circumstantial I'll grant you. But two...I don't know, orderlies perhaps, and separately a doctor, all from the asylum, but separately visiting the inquests during working hours. And refusing to explain why when we've questioned them.' Harry brow wrinkles deeply, 'I know, I know, it's thin gruel, but I think there's something there to be discovered. Perhaps a patient has escaped from the asylum.'
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,Craig raises his eyebrows. [color=#0000FF]“Well, I haven’t heard about any escaped lunatics. I know very little about Malbray, but I know it doesn’t have any reputation for housing particularly violent patients. I’ll ask around though and see if anyone’s heard anything. As for their visits…”[/color] He shrugs. [color=#0000FF]“Does an asylum have working hours? I don’t know. If you want me to take a good look, you’d best find something to justify it. In the meantime, we’ll keep pounding the streets. Keep your eyes and ears open.”[/color] He tips his hat and moves on.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry gives Sergeant Craig a nod and returns to his companions.

'The Sergeant says he'll ask around about the asylum but he didn't look too convinced.' He laughs at Isolde's suggestion he impersonates being working class, 'Not gonna take much pretending Miss Beauchant'. He turns to Melody, 'Appy to take yer for a few beers me dear'.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde smiles at Harry, “Well I didn’t like to presume. That’s settled then, as long as there’s no inquest this afternoon, we others will spend it in the British Library I suppose. Captain, will you join us or do you have other plans? And before I forget, there was mention of a spool of thread by the body but I can’t for the life of me think of any significance.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe the killer was getting sloppy, but I doubt we're so lucky," says Alexander. "I think that spool was left there for a reason. We just don't know what it is yet. Maybe it's a mythological reference to the threads of fate. If the thread were cut, that would be an indicator. I should be able to get us access to the Reading Room."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The captain smiles happily. "I should be most interested to see the inside of the British Library."

"I am keen to get a map of the city that I might draw on. Then I should like to plot the murders and the symbols used. I wonder if the library might have good maps of the city?"
Last edited by Snapper on Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Using the library at the British Museum means asking to see specific texts. It's not like a public library, you can't just browse the stacks.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

"Perhaps I shall visit a few map-makers to find a good, detailed map of the city, then I shall come and find you at the great library?"

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”