Chapter 4a: 26th - Crozier & Isolde

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 4a: 26th - Crozier & Isolde

Post by HoneyDog »

Both men eye Crozier with suspicion, before the dark-haired, taller one speaks.

“Wot d’yu want?” he asks bluntly.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 4a: 26th - Crozier & Isolde

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier stands tall in his Inverness cape and top hat, both hands resting on his walking stick in front of him. He is a large man and he looks sternly at the two dubious individuals.

"I'll thank you to keep a civil tongue in your head, fellow, or I shall fetch you a clip around the ear. I have dealt with meaner sailors than either of you on docks and ships from here to Calcutta and back to Boston." Crozier speaks in a growl, his voice low but clearly audible and the Liverpool accent is more present than usual.

"Now, you may address me as captain. I wish to ask you some questions. If you answer me fully and honestly, there is a bob in it for each of you. Do we have an agreement?"
OOC,Can Crozier make a Psychology roll to gain some insight into the psyche out these two?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The taller one grins in amusement, while his companion just stares balefully.

“A bob, eh?” says the tall one. “Can’t say no to a bob. Ask away.”
OOC,Sure, you can make a roll, but you would need a separate one for each man.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Taller ruffian
Psychology 40%,[dice]0[/dice]
Shorter ruffian
Psychology 40%,[dice]1[/dice]
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier nods agreement. "Right, well shall we start with who you are and why you have been coming to these coroner's inquests."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sorry, you can't make two separate rolls in one action. We'll come to the shorter man later.
"Well," says the taller man, eyes narrowing, "who we are is none of yer damn business, and we're 'cause we wants to be, see? It's a bit of a lark, like. Now, why are you 'ere?"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The Captain shakes his head once, definitively. "No, the agreement was you answer my questions. There was no agreement that I answer your questions. And I do not accept any change to the terms of our agreement. If you wish to earn your shilling, you must answer honestly and fully."

"Answer me this question then. What is your connection to the asylum?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Lord, you do go on mate. You’re boring me now. You can stick yer shillin’ up yer backside.”

He turns and inclines his head to his friend, indicating they are leaving.

Crozier can see that the other man is quite drunk, but there is a tension in him, like he would be quick to fight.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Meanwhile, Isolde has left the building and waits in the cab, looking out for Crozier to leave through the front door.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Unfazed, unmoved, and ignoring the offensive language, Crozier fishes a half-crown out of his pocket and holds it up.

"Very well, you value your time highly. My final offer. A half-crown each if you answer my questions. Otherwise I bid you good afternoon."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

But Crozier is speaking to the men’s backs, as they are already halfway to the door. They do not turn around.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

With a sigh, Crozier pockets the coin again. Rather cautiously, he counts to 20 then follows the men out, wary in the event they wish to earn money by some 'other' method. He looks around for Isolde.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde watches the door from the cab. Does she the men’s direction when they leave? She waves to the Captain as soon as she sees him.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isolde sees the men go towards a parked cab. Malbray Asylum is written on the side.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier strides quickly to Isolde's cab and leaps in. "Shall we follow them, do you think?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Yes! Follow that cab!” She orders the cabby, “I’ve always wanted to say that.” She grins and grabs a handle as the cab lurches off. “And just because it says Malbray Asylum on the side doesn’t mean they are actually going back there.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

"I'm afraid I had no luck with them. I tried the direct approach of inducing the ruffians to answer a few questions with the promise of a bob each, but that didn't work. They're certainly unpleasant fellows. The smaller one is both drunk and violent I suspect."

"Unfortunately, they will now be alert to the fact they have been noticed. Oh well, as with cricket, you're better off to play your natural game, and my natural game is to be direct with people."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“It was worth a try. It also shows they must have an agenda, something worth missing out some easy money for. And maybe they will now associate the direct approach with us and not notice something more sneaky. I can’t see where we are going but I hope it’s not straight to the asylum- that would be embarrassing!”
Isolde tries to spot a street sign as they flash past.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The carriage is only in motion for about five minutes before it comes to a stop. The driver announces that the men have dismounted and entered a nearby tavern.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier peers out, looking for a sign naming the tavern. "I say cabbie, do you know the name of that tavern?"

Turning to Isolde, he speaks in more hushed tones. "This is a hard choice. Our attire might attract attention in this sort of area. "Might" is probably understating it. But what if these two are off to commit some foul deed?"

"Well, let's take stock before we decide which course to sail. The two ruffians are clearly working men of poor background, and ill mannered with it. They are using a carriage belonging to an asylum, which is ... odd. Having said that, the only evidence we have suggesting they are involved in foul play is their attending the coroner's inquests. And perhaps their unwillingness to answer my questions when there was a bob in it for them. Hardly damning."

"And what about the strange symbols? For surely that is the matter the Seekers are most able to assist with."

"Are you, by any chance, armed, Miss Isolde?"
OOC:   Being some old London pub in this setting, it's probably got a name like "The Gutted Man" or "The Sacrificial Offering".  

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”