Chapter 4: October 26th

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 4: October 26th

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Malbray Asylum's somewhere in Hackney' says Harry. 'I expect a cabbie could take us there.'
Harry Know Roll 55%,[dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by Mephistophilis on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,It's in Hackney, but you still need to find the location. You'll need to edit your post otherwise it doesn't really make sense.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“I’m happy to stay round here and watch the inquest this afternoon after lunch if that frees you up for sleuthing at the asylum or following those men.” Isolde says to her companions.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, I'm not much good at sneaking around," says Alexander, "but I could certainly go to the asylum and ask questions. As long as some of us attend the inquest, they can fill in the rest of us later. Those men are bound to show up at it too, which gives an opportunity for some of those who attend to try to follow them afterwards and see to whom they report."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry says 'They drove off in a Hansom so we might struggle to keep up with them.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”We could hire our own, could we not?” said Vic. “And perhaps if we keep an eye out for when they arrive, we might find out if the cab is waiting for them or if they’re just hiring one off the street.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry chuckles, 'They drove their own cab, I know because it said 'Malbray Asylum' on the back.'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, we'll hire our own and have it ready to follow them in advance," says Alexander.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Who will stay at the inquest, and who will go to the asylum? Isolde will stay, but Alexander will go to the asylum.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

"I shall stay here and keep company with Miss Isolde. It may be that these ruffians return here in any event. And there may be more to be gleaned from these grim proceedings."

"Miss Isolde, that being the case, I believe another dash in a hansom for a quick lunch is in order? Perhaps back to the City if you have no objection?"
Captains treat,This being the Gaslight Era and Crozier a well-to-do gentleman, he will not, I'm afraid, countenance anything other than his paying for ladies' meals. Fear not, he can afford it.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

"I could look fer the asylum this afternoon with 'arry," says Melody, "Some of us should in any case. It may be that the men won't return, an' it's better to search fer the place in daylight.

"I'm sure the cabbie will find it, they know where everything is."

ooc,I had a look out of curiosity and [i]The Knowledge[/i] test that all London taxi drivers must pass to be licenced began in 1865 - I had no idea whether it was a 20th thing. This requires the cabbies to know all landmarks (including hospitals) within 6 miles of Charing Cross, and the fastest route between any two landmarks. If the Asylum is in Hackney, then Hackney is less than 5 miles from Charing Cross.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I’ll come with you to the asylum,” said Vic, thinking that too many heavy lunches would leave her unable to get into her clothes. She had enough trouble trying to find a tailor to make her trouser suit last time... ...
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'I'd rather visit the madhouse than sit through another one of these hearings' says Harry.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isolde & Crozier,Unfortunately, Isolde and Crozier find that they do not have enough time to make a fine luncheon in the City, as they become embroiled in negotiations for hiring a reliable Hansom cab to ferry the party around. Luckily, they chance upon a gentlemen who claims allegiance to the East End Citizens’ Committee, who charges a fair price considering. It is then time to get to the next inquest in Whitechapel. The venue this time is a school building, which at least guarantees the behaviour of some of the more rowdier crowd elements. The children look on curiously, and many shout cheeky insults at Isolde when they see her style of dress. A fed-up looking Partington-White announces the beginning of the inquest into one Tom Vernon, aged twenty-five, of no fixed abode. Giving testimony are Inspectors Cleveland and Spaulding. Dr. Raffin is present, but doesn’t speak. Also in the crowd are the two horrible-looking men whom Isolde spied earlier. Inspector Cleveland gives most of the details. [color=#0000BF]“Vernon was already known to local police”[/color] he announces.[color=#0000BF] “He was a notorious mutcher with several warrants pending.”[/color] [color=#800080]“Mutcher?” [/color]echoes Partington-White.[color=#800080] “What is that?”[/color] The crowd begins laughing at his ignorance, and he is quick to shush them. [color=#0000BF]“It’s a robber of drunks” [/color]answers Cleveland. [color=#0000BF]“Well, his body was found near a coalbin in the railyards near Aldgate Station at 4 o’clock on the morning of October 24th. He was known to, ahem, ply his trade on drunken vagrants thereabouts.” [/color] The inquest continues with more minor details, and presently comes to an end. It is announced that the Rodrigues inquest will continue at the same venue tomorrow morning.
Everyone else,The companions manage to find a Hansom which will take them to Malbray Asylum. It is located in Hackney Wick, in the marshes between the London Water Works and the River Lea. The driver takes them down Temple Mill Road, and turns down a narrow lane. This route obviously sees little traffic. The surroundings give the impression of countryside; there are no buildings and no other traffic. The shadows of the late autumn trees cast a gloomy, foreboding air. The asylum itself is located on a low hill, surrounded by scrub and marsh. A grim, foreboding place, it seems surrounded by an 8-foot high wall. Within, the companions can see a massive, brooding stone building, which must be the main institution. Dropping them off, the cab driver claims that he cannot wait and sets off back down the lane, oblivious to any protestations. Turning to the entrance, the companions can see that the drive continues on, but the entrance is blocked by a gate of spiked iron bars. However, a sign adjacent indicate a bell for visitors to ring.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic looked at the doorbell and paused. ”What are we going to say?” she asked. “We were in the vicinity and just popped in for a look around?”
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“Perhaps we can find tea after the inquest.” Says Isolde as they rattle over the cobbles towards the next inquest. Once inside she pays particular attention to the horrid men without being too obvious about it. She flushed at the children’s attention, “I wonder what they would have made of Vic’s clothing if they hoot over a few charms and crystals.” She thinks.
Last edited by aine on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry looks down at his clothes and then over at Melody 'P'raps they're looking for staff mam?'. He doffs his hat to Vic and gives an obsequious bow.

He straightens up again and mimes taking Vic's arm, 'Or maybe you're feeling quite frightfully unwell?' he says in a high pitched voice.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I haven’t been feeling myself recently, Doctor Brown,” replied Vic with a grin. “Seriously, though, what are we going to say? I don’t think they just let people in for a look around anymore.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'The way I see it there are two approaches, sneaky or straight up' says Harry. 'Sneaky includes me and Melody pretending we're looking for work. Straight up, some of us go in there, tell them we're investigating the East End murders, ask if they've had any recent admissions or escapes.'
OOC,How many of us are there, is Dr Campbell with us?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we should play it straight," says Alexander. "We'll get a lot further by being honest."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”