Chapter 3: October 25th

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Chapter 3: October 25th

Post by Philulhu »

”Normally men aren’t shy if they take offence to my choice of attire,” said Vic to Isolde. “But I agree, it was rude of him not to make eye contact. Should we follow him?”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier looks quite scandalised. He whispers to Vic and Isolde, "Ladies, you cannot seriously suspect the police surgeon? And if you were caught following him, I'm sure you would be in serious trouble."

"My plan for today is not to skip lunch. There must be somewhere around here that serves edible fare."
Last edited by Snapper on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,Harry looks at the man closely. There is something familiar about him. He is roughly dressed, with a beard and a cap pulled down over his eyes. But the nose and jawline – then Harry realizes that he has seen the man in the inquest the day before. It is Sergeant Craig, operating in disguise.
Alexander & Melody,[color=#0040FF]“Wull, if ye can find oot, tha’ wid be grand” [/color]says Hackett. [color=#0040FF]“Thas whit them shopkeepers are payin’ ye for, isn’t it?”[/color] He winks facetiously. [color=#0040FF]“But if we find summat, we’ll share it.”[/color] Then his face darkens. [color=#0040FF]“If we find this murderer, then there might nae’ be mich left o’ him when we’re done. Remember tha’”.[/color] He beckons to his men, and walks away.
Isolde & Vic & Crozier,[ooc]Don't forget, Raffin said he would be preparing for the afternoon, so he will be returning.[/ooc]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry sidles up to Craig, trying to avoid any attention. He whispers so that only the policeman can hear, 'Sergeant, a word.'
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,Craig’s eyes narrow as he stares at Harry. Then he cocks his head, indicating he wants to be followed. Finding a quiet space in the large room, away from any bystanders, Craig speaks. [color=#0000FF]“Who are you?”[/color] he asks in a neutral tone.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Sergeant Craig, my name is Harry Brown, I am an inquiry agent by profession, I am being retained to investigate these killings by a private organisation, 'The Seekers of Enlightenment'., he gestures towards the others looking conspicuous among the East End committee. 'I don't wish to interfere with your work but I think we might be able to share information.' Harry lets the possibility that he could expose the Sergeant's undercover investigations go unspoken, he is pretty sure Craig realises this.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

"It's not so very far from here to the City of London. What say we catch a hansom, find somewhere that will do a sailor proud for lunch in the city, I'm sure the cabbie will have some suggestions, be back by the Afternoon Watch and the next session of this inquest. And at the end of the next session, I'll try talking to this doctor chap?" Crozier looks earnestly at Vic and Isolde.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“Luncheon sounds a marvellous idea, Captain! Just so long as it doesn’t involve those infamous biscuits of yours- or limes.” Isolde finishes darkly. “And I promise we’ll be on our best behaviour.” She says as Crozier hails a Hanson cab.

“I do have my suspicions about the police surgeon however, he looks so sinister. Now, what about the others; we seem to have lost them in the crowd.”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,[color=#0000FF]“The Seekers of Enlightenment? I remember that group from the papers”[/color] says Craig. [color=#0000FF]“That’s whom I’m reckoning your companions there might be part of. But I overheard them telling Hackett there that they’re working for the East End Citizens Committee. So what exactly is the arrangement, Mr. Brown?”[/color] Craig waits for an answer. His relaxed attitude doesn’t entirely hide his tension.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'That's a very savvy question Sergeant, the East End Citizens Committee called on the Seekers to ask them to look into these killings, given their experience. So we've agreed to look at the murders. My friends are talking to the Committee members trying to find if there's anything more known about these murders. Looks to me like you might be doing the same thing.

Harry holds up his hands in a gesture of openness. I'm not working for the East End Committee, they seem a rough lot even if their concerns are genuine. I work for the Seekers, and the Seekers are looking to help solve these murders. They've agreed to help the East End Committee as far as that.

But they're more interested in helping the police bring the killer to justice. Which is why I've approached you. I think we could help each other. We've got access to the Citizens Committee that you need, you have access to the police and their investigations that we need. If we pool our resources we might get this thing solved a bit quicker. And hopefully there won't be so many bodies.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic allows herself to be lead outside by Isolde. She thinks the police surgeon’s response was suspicious but doesn’t intend to try to follow him on her own.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

As Melody watches Hackett and his thugs walk away she says to Alexander, "The murders are so wicked. Would it be so bad if Estes Hackett and his men were to get to the killer first?"
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier hails equine locomotion for Vic, Isolde and himself. He instructs the cabbie to take them somewhere in the City of London where "gentlemen and ladies might find a decent luncheon." Crozier promises an extra half-crown if the cabbie can transport them in good time and the destination does indeed look to have good food.

(If Crozier can see the other Society members, he will invite them to follow.)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,Craig nods. [color=#0000FF]“Very well, Mr. Brown. I’d appreciate being kept appraised of anything you find. As for us, we don’t have much to go on so far. We don’t know what the symbols on the victims signify, and we cannot find any connection between the men themselves. We have patrols in the streets every night, at the moment all we can hope for is to catch the killer in the act, hopefully before Hackett and his mob get there first. Be careful with that lot, Mr. Brown. I fear they have their own agenda, and you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of the law.” [/color] He stands up. [color=#0000FF]“I’ll be here during the afternoon session. And, I’d appreciate your discreetness in the matter of my disguise.”[/color] He winks and nods in farewell.
OOC,Maybe we can move on to the afternoon session now.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's tempting to say nae," says Alexander, "but it wouldna be right. I dinna think they'll find him first anyhow, nor that he'd be so easily defeated if they did."
OOC,I'm ready to move on to the afternoon.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Happy to move on.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   No description of our lobster luncheon with perhaps a cheeky French white?

Otherwise, I'm good. :)  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

After lunch, it is time for the Rodrigues inquest to continue. The crowd is less rowdy than previous, as those with little invested in the murders look for more amusing pastimes. Hackett and his associates are here, as is a contingent of newsmen, scribbling in their notebooks. The disguised figure of Sgt. Craig can be seen too.

Again, the tall figure of Dr. Raffin is giving testimony, describing the details of Rodrigues’ death. Again, Partington-White asks for a less graphic account.

“The throat was slit, from ear-to-ear. The weapon was most likely a straight razor. But it was a clumsy job – the cuts were irregular. More like a hack, than a clean slice”.

“Doctor, please!” cries Partington-White, wincing.

“The victim sustained many lacerations on his face, arms and hands, indicative of defensive wounds” Raffin continues. “His shirt was cut through, and a symbol was cut into his stomach, but much more hastily this time. The victim’s wallet and watch were left behind.”

“The same symbol?” asks Partington-White.

“No. Similar though. Again, a circle, but this time containing a square, with its four corners touching the edge of the circle.”

“A square within a circle?”

“Yes”.

The circumstances of the death are recorded, and the session eventually drawers to a halt. Partington-White announces that they will resume at 9 am at the same venue tomorrow.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry recounts his discussions with the undercover Sergeant Craig. 'He says the police don’t know what the symbols on the victims signify and they cannot find any connection between the men themselves. They have patrols in the streets every night hoping to catch the killer in the act. He also warned us off "Hackett and his mob" who he thinks have their own agenda.'
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde is in a good mood after such a fine lunch.
“I wonder, does one cut a throat from the front or behind the victim? If behind then one might surmise that there were two murderers. One for the defensive cuts and one for the throat.” She thinks about it and shudders. “ I suppose we could research into the meaning of the symbols.”

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”