Chapter 1: A New Investigation Opens

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 1: A New Investigation Opens

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier relaxes now that the brief contretemps is resolved. He produces a hip flask from a jacket pocket and from it pours a healthy dash of whisky into his coffee. With a contented sigh he takes a sip while discreetly offering a splash from the flask to those around him. Otherwise, he is quietly attentive.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

“We don’t have the foggiest” Nash says to Melody. “The p’lice weren’t forthcoming ‘bout that. Honestly” he appeals to the group, “there ain’t much we can tell abaht it. It just ‘as to stop.”

Nash’s companion, Ned, speaks up for the first time.

“Thur ‘avin tha’ inquest t’morrer. Mebbe they’ll talk abaht it then.”

"Will you 'elp?" says Nash. "We'll pay for it. Seventy pound if yer can catch 'im."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde picks up the newspapers and places them carefully on a side table. Then she sits quietly on a stool and looks at her companions to see what they decide. Although the investigation could prove dangerous she feels that they must do everythng they can to help apprehend the murderers.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Harry gives a slight nod to his companions to indicate his agreement. This is a little bit too close to his day job so he'd be happy to receive some pay for his trouble, but Harry is intrigued by these hints of ritual mutilation.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd be willing to help," says Alexander. "It's for a good cause, and it does sound an intriguing case as well. We cannae guarantee success, of course, but we have a fairly good track record."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Terrific!” says Nash. He takes a pen and paper from his pocket and starts writing. “’Ere’s the address of my pub, the Brick Corners. You can find me there most o’ the time. The other address is where they’re ‘avin’ the inquest termorra. Some ‘o us from the committee will be goin’ along.”

He and Ned stand again.

“We’d best be getting along. If you need me, you know where to find me. Thanks fer yer ‘elp! It’s much appreciated.”

He shakes hands with the gentlemen.
OOC,Any questions before he leaves?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Before you leave, gentlemen,” said Vic. “Would you happen to have known either of the two unfortunates? Their habits? Home life? Where they worked?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Both shake their heads.

"Don't know a thing, love" says Nash. "Only what we've told you, I'm afraid. Yer'll 'av to find aht fer yurselves".

He tips his hat and bows to the ladies, then the two men leave.
OOC,They really don't know anything more about the crimes or victims, so we don't need to spend time on that. If there's a different question you have, you can call them back. I don't know if they can answer it though.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Well we know where to find them when we need them.” Says Isolde as the men leave and she turns to the captain.

“Captain Crozier, welcome to The Seekers of Enlightenment. As Dr. Campbell says, we have had some success with recent cases although we have had our work cut out to make it so; and there had been an element of personal danger too I have to say. Nevertheless, I’m sure you will certainly find it most interesting!” She smiles.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier rises again when he's addressed by Isolde. "You are most kind, Miss, and I am right keen to see the society in action. And I hope I may be of some small service." He gives her a polite short bow.

Returning to his seat, he continues to the whole group, "Do you take many matters such as this? I am no expert but this sounds rather more mundane than I would have thought the society should be interested in. A horrible crime no doubt but is it of the Other World?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, well, it very well may not," says Alexander. "I have my own doubts about the Other World, as the rest of the Society well knows. I have seen some very unusual things, but I believe science can explain them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Percy checks his watch.

“I wish I could assist, but I have other duties. It looks like the inquest will be the place to start. Good luck everyone! Try not to get killed.”

With that, he bids his leave.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”It is the ‘strange symbols’ that has our interest piqued, Captain Crozier,” said Vic. “That suggests there may be an additional motive to the killing, other than lust, greed, ire, etc. ...” She gave a wry smile. “There are so many reasons, it seems...”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

Crozier does his level best not to look surprised by Vic's attire, not wishing to be impolite. "Ah, I'm, ah, sure you're right Miss. Maybe the society's knowledge can chart a course to this murderer with an interest in strange symbols. A gruesome interest, it must be said."

Crozier turns his attention back to his coffee, it being far less controversial than clothing choices.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic smiled to herself. Giving more traditional members of society conniptions over her clothing choices was one of her pleasures in life...
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'It's a bit early to reach any conclusions I'd say' snorts Harry, still a bit annoyed at Dr Campbell offending their guests.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde raises an arched eyebrow at Vic’s quiet smile.
“I’m afraid Dr Campbell and I generally agree to disagree about the existence of the non-mundane world.” Smiles Isolde.
“And Vic is right; the symbols carved into the bodies make it look like ritualistic killings which are definitely of interest to the society.

It often means the murderers are trying to bridge the gap between this world and another; perhaps trying to make contact by worship. But I won’t bore you all any further, what can we do before tomorrow’s inquest? Maybe visit the East End? Or do some general research into East End cults perhaps?”
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Melody smiles, "I'll ask around in the East End, it my neck o' the woods.

"Be handy if one o' you were to join me."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Looking around the room Harry raises his hand. 'I think that'd be me Melody, I'd hate to think what trouble Dr Campbell could cause talking to a couple of half-rats in an East End pub.'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"So you don't think it would go over well if I were to lecture them on the toxic nature of alcohol and its effects on the liver and brain?" asks Alexander, tongue firmly in cheek. "I'd be more at home in a library in any case. Perhaps I can find out if there have ever been similar murders in the past."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”