Page 1 of 1

Cozy chat

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:29 am
by HoneyDog
Welcome everybody!

We'll discuss OOC matters here. We can start when everyone feels ready. We might have a new player so that could influence the starting time.

I'm not sure how long this game will take - it could actually reach the conclusion quite quickly (relatively speaking), depending on choices and rolls. There are a number of NPC characters, so I recommend taking notes of who you meet.

Re: Cozy chat

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:11 am
by HoneyDog
Oh, by the way, the events will transpire in October, two months after the Forby affair.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 am
by HoneyDog
Snapper will be joining the game, so we have six players.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:01 pm
by Snapper
Hi everyone!

I'm Snapper, I'm a very old CoC player but still fairly new to this whole playing online using an internet forum thing. I'm already playing in a few other games with several of you and looking forward to this one! And thank you GM Honeydog for inviting me to join!

I'll crack on and create a character tomorrow so I'm not holding you all up.

Cheers,

Snapper

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:01 pm
by Snapper
Let me know if you're happy with the direction my PC is heading. I'm happy to reassess. Otherwise, I'll get the skills done tomorrow

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:30 pm
by HoneyDog
Looks fine!

What brought him to the Seekers of Enlightenment? Was it meeting some Inuit spirit monster which wiped out his command?

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:33 pm
by aine
Snapper, welcome to the Seekers of Enlightenment. I’m sure we are very glad to have a naval captain aboard. I hope he fares better than our last military gentleman. Actually, come to think of it, the last two military gentlemen but then they were in the army and the Royal Navy is far superior of course. ;)

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:40 am
by Snapper
Aye, ye have the right of it! The Royal Navy is, after all, the Senior Service. Capt Crozier will be most pleased to be of assistance.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:38 am
by HoneyDog
But what is his interest in the spiritual? Why would he join a group like the Seekers of Enlightenment? Is he skeptical, or is he a believer?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:26 pm
by Snapper
OK, first test!

Well, Crozier has spent virtually his whole life as a sailor. Sailors are notoriously superstitious. So I will say that Crozier is without question superstitious. Now that success and wealth have provided him with some free time, he is taking that time to explore and investigate rumours of the uncanny and evidence of the "hidden world".

Having said that, I don't know very much about the Seekers group yet so I hope that fits in with the group's interests?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:09 pm
by HoneyDog
That sounds perfect. But you know what they say about curiousity…

We’ll begin tomorrow.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:05 pm
by Philulhu
aine wrote:Snapper, welcome to the Seekers of Enlightenment. I’m sure we are very glad to have a naval captain aboard. I hope he fares better than our last military gentleman. Actually, come to think of it, the last two military gentlemen but then they were in the army and the Royal Navy is far superior of course. ;)
”I beg your pardon!” harrumphed the late, unlamented (and not to mention insane) Captain Aubrey FitzWilliam. “Senior service, my posterior! Gadding about on a glorified dinghy, leaving the actual fighting to us chaps who get our boots dirty! Pah!”

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:49 am
by Snapper
:D

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:28 am
by HoneyDog
I'll try to upload images, but I keep getting the message the the board attachment limit has been reached, so apologies if the posts will look a little plain.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy
You can still upload images to a website and then use the Img tags to embed them into your posts.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:04 am
by HoneyDog
Thanks! I'll see what I can do.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:24 am
by Philulhu
This one works for me: https://postimages.org/

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:26 am
by Raiko
I've been using imgur.com for images.
Create a post named after your game or the current chapter, and just keep adding images to that post.

Each image has a "get share links" button that includes a bbcode option which can then be pasted straight into a post on here.

The post / image isn't published to the social media part of imgur unless you press the "public" button.

I've been using imgur for about 5 years for forum image posting and all my images are still stored there and still work in the forum posts.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:48 pm
by HoneyDog
Thanks guys! I'll do some experimenting.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:07 am
by Raiko
I'll wait until Mr. Handy has posted for Alexander before making a first Melody post. I'll check back first thing in the morning.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:26 pm
by Raiko
Ha, the irony of it being Alexander the group's sceptic who offended him in that way!

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:23 pm
by HoneyDog
Oh dear! This isn't going well! :shock:

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:24 pm
by Raiko
So are you not allowing Melody to roll fast talk?

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
No, sorry. Actually Melody stated that the Doctor's reaction was because he was used to hearing wild stories from visitors, when in fact they provided the evidence there in the newspaper! That's even worse!

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:38 am
by Raiko
I meant his referral to Spring-Heeled Jack, but never mind.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:37 pm
by Raiko
Honeydog. Modern coroners inquests in the UK are open to the general public; is the same true for Victorian era inquests? Or will this require Credit Rating rolls, or such like?

Melody will visit the East End regardless.

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:10 am
by Philulhu
I had a look out of interest and found this: http://visitvictorianengland.blogspot.c ... orian.html

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:34 am
by HoneyDog
That's a good link, Phil. As we can see, anyone can attend the inquest.

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:15 am
by Philulhu
By the sounds of it, the main difference between then and now is that the post mortem is carried out in full view of those assembled in Victorian times :o

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:26 pm
by Raiko
I've been busier than expected this weekend, so haven't been able to post.
I'll catch up in all games and, post wherever needed this evening. :)

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:00 am
by Snapper
Half-cut and smelling of garlic isn’t going to help your cause either...
*LAUGH*

Now there are words of wisdom to live by.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:47 am
by Snapper
I'm loving the descriptions of the increasingly fed-up coroner!

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:11 am
by HoneyDog
It won't get much better for him...

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:13 pm
by Raiko
I've sussed it out, they were looking at the V symbol upside down...
The solution,The next symbol is a circle inside a circle, we're all in a Playstation game! Sanity checks everyone! [img]https://i.imgur.com/JuQSvtIs.jpg[/img]

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:15 pm
by Philulhu
I’d had the same thought... :lol:

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:21 pm
by aine
It was staring us in the face all that time.

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:30 am
by Snapper
What's a good collective noun for a group of occult investigators?
A murder
A pod
A schmuck
A tentacle
A forshortened-lifespan...

You know the AD&D joke that the collective noun for dwarves is "a lakefull"?

A lakefull of dwarves is not the correct collective noun, but it is a good start.

Boom boom.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy
The appropriate collective noun is an asylum of investigators.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:41 am
by Snapper
Perfect.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:27 am
by Snapper
I seem to have become focused on the more gourmet aspects of life for the Upper Middle classes in Victorian London. Don't ask me why. I'll pretend it's good role-playing... - Snapper

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:19 pm
by aine
I’ve been in that alley off Exmouth St, a few years ago. Not for anything particularly sinister though.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:36 pm
by Philulhu
Why were you there?

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:33 pm
by Snapper
Chatham House Rule:

What happens in the alley behind the club (/venue/rave/whatever), stays in the alley behind the club.

(Except for that rash. That rash is no respecter of the Rule...)

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:18 am
by aine
Ha ha.
It was just a photo shoot. I can’t remember who for. It was a dingy alley then but I expect it’s been hipster-fied by now.

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:28 pm
by aine
Nobody picked up on my nod to the late Terry Pratchett? Prostitute-seamstress?

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:09 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm a Terry Pratchett fan too, but it went over my head. It's been far too long since I've read him, and I still have a lot of catching up to do. The last one I read all the way through was Night Watch, which was excellent. I had started on Monstrous Regiment, but I didn't get very far.

BBC America is also advertising a new show starting in January called The Watch, which is apparently about the Ankh-Morpork City Watch.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:09 am
by Philulhu
Sorry, I’ve read all the Discworld novels (except his last one) but missed the reference!

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:27 pm
by Raiko
I'm posting this same message in every game that I'm involved with:

Sorry for being AWOL so much, most of November and this last week in particular have been very busy for me at work (even though I'm mostly working from home at the moment). I kept up with at least reading every game until this last week, where I've barely been able to log in.
I have read up-to-date in every game last now, and I'll post in every game over the weekend.
I think I should have a quieter time during the rest of December, so hopefully this will be my last apology for a while. :roll:

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:58 am
by HoneyDog
No problem! Catch up when you can.

Everyone, let me know when you feel you've finished your discussion, and we can move on to the next day.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:30 pm
by Snapper
Are we just having really bad luck with the dice rolls?

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:08 am
by HoneyDog
There are still a lot of players yet to roll.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:09 pm
by Raiko
Snapper wrote:Are we just having really bad luck with the dice rolls?
We only seem to fail the important rolls. :lol:

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:21 pm
by aine
Happy New Year, everyone. May you roll well next year!
I’m spending the evening playing D&D Basic on Skype. Is that lame or what?! :)

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:49 am
by Snapper
Old school! I love it!

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy
So do I! I still have my red and blue box sets from the 1980s. I had written a solo adventure that I was going to run someone through online via text chat on a MUD in the mid-1990s, but I don't remember if we got past character creation.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:55 am
by Snapper
Very cool. I still remember the excitement of opening those boxes.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:44 am
by Mephistophilis
Don't have my red set anymore but still have my rules cyclopedia somewhere.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:09 pm
by Philulhu
I still have the green and blue dice that came with those sets, the ones where you had a white crayon to highlight the numbers yourself :D

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:35 pm
by Snapper
Yes yes yes! I remember those dice!

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:03 pm
by Mr. Handy
I still have most of my dice too.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:39 am
by HoneyDog
Melody Luck 75: Luck: 1d100 86
Alexander Luck 80: Luck: 1d100 11

Melody drinks her tea, but Alexander doesn't.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:44 am
by Snapper
Bugger!!

Oh well, the Captain snoozes.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:17 pm
by Mephistophilis
Meta-gaming, I'm tempted for Harry to make a run for it and see if he can alert Sergeant Craig. Or should we get ready for a struggle?

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:27 pm
by aine
Awesome! :o
An excellent turn of events.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:45 pm
by Philulhu
How did you not see that coming? :roll:

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:48 am
by Snapper
Crozier snores like a giant, amiable bumblebee.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:53 am
by Philulhu
... even as Vic pushes her hat pin through his earlobe in an attempt to wake him up... ... ;)

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:14 am
by Snapper
That's going to hurt, sooner or later...

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:25 pm
by aine
Isolde is having a lovely dream about having a picnic on a riverbank.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:15 am
by HoneyDog
Apologies to the unconscious players - I'll try to get you back into the action as soon as possible.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:11 pm
by Snapper
The Captain continues his happy giant bumblebee snoring, bleeding somewhat on the carpet from when Vic decided to mutilate his ear. Clearly, he didn't buy her enough cakes.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:41 pm
by HoneyDog
The hit point loss is actually from receiving a kick from the female orderly, to check if Crozier was indeed unconscious.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 pm
by aine
There’s no rush; I know I shouldn’t but it’s like watching TV. Haven’t decided on the genre yet but it’s very enjoyable.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:06 am
by Snapper
Happily, the Captain was able to do a convincing portrayal of a drugged person. All good.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:14 am
by Snapper
Hi Team, I gather the Captain is back. Give me a tick to read where we're up to and will be right with you

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:03 pm
by HoneyDog
Thanks for waiting! That tea hit the Captain pretty badly in the rolls. Maybe he needs to take better care of his liver.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:10 am
by Snapper
Thanks for waiting! That tea hit the Captain pretty badly in the rolls. Maybe he needs to take better care of his liver.
Nothing but the very finest wines, ports and scotch from this day forward!

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:22 am
by Snapper
Billy would be a shoe-in for PT Barnum's travelling show!

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:30 pm
by aine
I’m afraid Isolde is on a slippery slope of insanity; just teetering on the brink but the pebbles are cascading into the abyss...

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:05 am
by Snapper
We know a good asylum...

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:32 pm
by aine
God forbid! Thank goodness the dice roller wasn’t the other way around for these last two SAN rolls. Else we’d all be signing up as Dr Vandorff’s victims, sorry patients.

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:16 am
by Snapper
Crozier could do a "Rochester" from "Jane Eyre", marry batshit-crazy Isolde and then keep her hidden in the shuttered West Wing. Upside is he can keep Isolde in some luxery. Downside is he's old and has a face as ugly as a sack full of crabs.

(And apologies for use of the inappropriate adjectival terms "batshit-crazy" and "sack full of crabs".)

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:07 pm
by aine
Ha, I can just imagine Isolde as a crazy artist in the garret smoking Gauloise (Not invented), cigars and pioneering the Symbolism art movement with her mythos experiences. Could be lucrative for the Captain.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:07 am
by HoneyDog
It looks like we've come to a close. Thanks to all for playing, I hope it was enjoyable.

You actually defeated the creature very quickly - a good throw and a lot of damage sent it sniveling back to its own dimension. Let's hope he has learned his lesson. The successful SAN rolls helped a lot - I was expected more temporary insanity, but it was only Joan and Vandorff who suffered, and obviously their levels were pretty low anyway.

I'll add an epilogue, but please feel free to add your character's final thoughts to the game thread.

As well as possession of Mysteries of the Worm, there are other bonuses:

You saved Joan, but at the expense of her Sanity, so no bonus. You can roll 1d4 SAN bonus for exposing the dreadful Vandorff and putting a stop to his experiments.

1d3 SAN bonus for successfully helping Dr. Blessing.

2d8 SAN bonus for driving away the creature.

Everyone except Isolde can add 1 Cthulhu Mythos point.

I'm afraid that I don't have any more Gaslight adventures, so I will have to bring this era to a close. I'd like to concentrate on the Classic era for a while.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:09 am
by Mr. Handy
Sanity gain:
0+1+2
That's more than enough to raise my Sanity to my new maximum of 97. Alexander is now stark raving sane.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:35 am
by Snapper
Fabulous stuff! I'm a bit crushed to hear that's the end of Gaslight, I was having a ball. Oh well!

Cheers anyway!

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:27 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Total of 10.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:01 pm
by Philulhu
Thanks for running the investigation, Honeydog. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Vic - SAN rolls

Total: 9

Edit: skill checks.

German (41%) - 3
Improvement - 4

Spot hidden (25%) - 5
Improvement - 6

Vic’s inability to improve her German came as no surprise to anyone... :(

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:05 pm
by Mephistophilis
Yeah, thanks very much, for a while there I thought we were all going to end up locked up in the asylum forever, or worse!

0 SAN bonus for exposing the dreadful Vandorff and putting a stop to his experiments.

1 SAN bonus for successfully helping Dr. Blessing.

2 SAN bonus for driving away the creature.

If one of us is ever running a gaslight game in future maybe the Seekers could reform for one more adventure.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:57 pm
by HoneyDog
Gaslight is fun - I just have a lot of Classic scenarios that I want to try. This one was tricky to set up, but it got much easier once the action moved to the asylum. The scenario calls for a lot of random action happening in the East End, but it's almost impossible to deliver in a realistic way.

Entering the asylum was a very risky move! I tried to discourage you from it, but...

Blessing will be very glad to have Vic's help. Just don't ask any questions about Billy Ashworth!

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:30 pm
by aine
Another brilliant senario thankyou HoneyDog.
I suppose we did get off rather lightly. Just as well the dice roller favoured our sanity rolls over, perhaps, Vic’s German rolls.
I was just looking in the ‘New Game’ Threads for something classic so I’d be well up for that era.
See you all next time!

Astronomy 3 +6
Occult 4
History 5 +7

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry skill checks.

Hide (10%): 52%*
Locksmith (01%): 61%*
Sneak (10%): 70%*
Spot Hidden (25%): 66%*
Throw (25%)*
.Grapple (25%): 75%*

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:52 am
by HoneyDog
You can remove the game when you're ready, Mr. Handy.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy
Thank you, that was great! I'll want to roll for skill increases, but I won't have time to go through the threads looking for successful skill uses until the weekend, so I'll wait until then to move the game into the Hall of Fame.

I do have plans for a Gaslight scenario in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, but it won't be the very next one. It will probably be the one after that. It will likely take place in the late 1890s, so returning characters from this campaign will be a bit older. Alexander can return as an NPC. He'd fit right in to that scenario.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:09 pm
by Snapper
Wow, Crozier really didn't use many skills (successfully)!

Psychology 40%

Spot Hidden 50%

Throw 25%

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:16 am
by Mr. Handy
Persuade (62% skill) XP check: failure
Spot Hidden (67% skill) XP check: failure
Fist/Punch (50% base skill) XP check: success! Increase by 8 to 58
Own Language: English (90% base skill) XP check: failure