Page 1 of 1

Chapter 4: October 26th

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:48 am
by HoneyDog
Wednesday 26th October, 1881, 9 am

Wilson’s Music Hall, Stepney

The morning is cold and foggy as the companions arrive again for the inquests. Some faces in the crowd are becoming familiar now; the journalists, furiously scribbling away; Hackett and his louts, muttering darkly to themselves, and the disguised Craig, loitering around the edges of the crowd. There are some new faces too; while some watch the proceedings intently, others glance around at the other spectators.

Giving evidence to Partington-White today are Inspectors Cleveland and Spaulding. The initial statement is quite brief, and brings an end to the Clark inquest; the verdict is ‘murder, by person or persons unknown’.

They then continue with the Rodrigues inquest. Cleveland gives evidence concerning the killing.

“Rodriques was bald” begins Cleveland. Someone in the crowd guffaws loudly.

“Silence!” roars Partington-White.

“But in his hand we found brown hair, obviously not belonging to him. There were several strands, seventeen inches in length. Witnesses report hearing shouts and sounds of struggle about half-past 11 the night of the 22nd, but saw nothing.”

The session comes to a close, with an announcement that the Tom Vernon inquest, the third victim, will begin in Whitechapel that afternoon.

Re: Chapter 4: October 26th

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:43 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The weather turning chilly, Crozier attends the third day in his dark grey suit and top hat, to which he has added a grey herringbone Inverness cape.

He turns to the female society members. "Ladies, Miss Flores, how long is 17 inches of hair, would you guess? Shoulder length?"

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:43 pm
by Raiko

"More like 'alf way down yer back," Melody chuckles, "unless they 'av an enormous head."

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:48 pm
by Philulhu
”A woman?” said Vic, quietly. “It isn’t like a woman to kill, though the carvings in the flesh suggest there might be another motive.”

She glanced around the room to see if any of those at the inquest had long hair...

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry takes an interest in those people in the crowd who are not watching the proceedings but others in the crowd. He is quietly amused that this includes him.
Spot Hidden 66%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Success  

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:16 pm
by aine
“You look rather dashing today, Captain; a sight for sore eyes on this damp and cold day.” Smiles Isolde. “As for the hair, I would have thought a lady would have had her hair pinned tightly up. A woman not so much. To my mind it is a man with long hair: a gypsy, an artist or a sailor perhaps.” Isolde also looks at the crowd carefully for anyone looking out of place.
Spot hidden,40 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"There are some women who kill," says Alexander, "though it could be a man with long hair."

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:00 am
by HoneyDog
Harry & Isolde,The hall is full of rough-looking characters, but two in particular stand out. In front-row seats, they are surveying the crowd, but due to their mean look, most people avoid eye contact for too long. One is shabbily-dressed and unshaven, with dark hair and moustache. His squinting eyes give him a cruel countenance. His companion is shorter but stocky, with stringy white-blond hair. He is dirty, and his rather vacant face is flushed, as if he has been drinking. He is even dirtier and shabbier than the other. He meets[b] Isolde’s[/b] look and leers horribly.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:32 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier barks a happy laugh for a second. "You are too kind, Miss Isolde but I thank you for it. I assure you I am an old barnacle but I am most fortunate to be in the company of such radiant young ladies."

He turns more serious for a moment. "To the matter in hand. It is true sailors hail from all lands with many fashions but generally, long hair is no longer the custom with your British tar. A few old salts may still have their hair long and in the queues. Even then, strands from hair in a queue seem unlikely to end up in the hand of the poor victim."

"And in my travels, I have encountered women who are as capable of killing as men. All in all though, we are still guessing."

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:19 am
by aine
“I must admit, my knowledge of all things nautical comes from reading history books to the children so I am likely quite out of date!” Isolde’s face darkens and she purses her lips,
“Do you see those two characters in the front row? One with a black moustache and his dirty companion with white hair; I’ve never seen such a pair of n’er do wells!”
Isolde subtlety indicates this one. His squinting eyes give him a cruel countenance.

His companion is shorter but stocky, with stringy white-blond hair. He is dirty, and his rather vacant face is flushed, as if he has been drinking. He is even dirtier and shabbier than the other.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:31 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry tries to surreptitiously follow the men out of the meeting.
Harry Sneak/Hide,Sneak 70%, Hide 52%, [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Nice one Harry, success on Sneak and Hide, he's like a ninja  

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:44 am
by HoneyDog
Harry,You can't make two separate skill rolls at the same time, and not with one die. I'll take it as a Sneak roll.
As the crowd begins to leave, Harry follows the awful looking men out as they wend their way through the throng.
Harry,The men are still looking around at the other crowd members as they leave, but they do not notice Harry following. He sees them enter a black Hansom carriage decorated with the title [i]Malbray Asylum[/i] in white. Whipping the horses viciously, the taller of the two drives the carriage away.
Everyone else,Is there anything you'd like to do? Or would you like to move on to the afternoon?

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:50 am
by Mephistophilis
HoneyDog,I thought that was the weird way 6th edition dealt with sneaking about, 7th has combined hide and sneak into stealth (from the 6th edn rulebook): [i]"Sneak (10%) The art of moving quietly, without alerting those whomight hear. Used in combination with Hide, the inves-tigator makes a single D100 roll, the result of which is matched against the investigator’s percentages in both skills. Use this combination when silent movement is necessary. See also Hide."[/i]
Harry hurries back in to the others. 'Those two nasty looking fellas were here from the asylum. Any idea what they would want with the inquest?'

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:59 pm
by aine
Isolde looks surprised, “Do they work there?” She asks disbelieving, “Or are they allowed out for good behaviour?” She gives an unladylike snort.
“Either way, if they leave the asylum again maybe we should see where they go.”
Ooc,Happy to proceed.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:06 pm
by Raiko
"Definitely Miss Beauchant," agrees Melody. "Sneakin' about an' watchin' folk is much more my cup o'tea than these borin' inquests."
ooc,Happy to move on, once everyone decides what to do about the asylum. Melody will join any group that goes there, whether that's tonight or this afternoon - she'll leave it for her social "betters" to decide when is best. ;)

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps one or more of the killers escaped from the asylum," suggests Alexander. "Maybe we can visit the asylum ourselves and just ask them about those chaps."

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,How far away is Malbray Asylum?

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:51 pm
by Philulhu
”Do we know where the two men lived?” asked Vic “We might find out more about them by visiting their abodes.”

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:26 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier listens to everyone with interest. "I bow to the Society's wisdom on this of course. I suppose the options are, firstly, have a quick luncheon then return for the afternoon to see if these ruffians return, and to hear what further there is to learn from these inquests."

"Or else we leave the inquests and have a look at this asylum place."

"A further option still would be to have some stay here and some indirect the asylum?"

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:06 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,If you want to go to the asylum, you have to find out where it is.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Malbray Asylum's somewhere in Hackney' says Harry. 'I expect a cabbie could take us there.'
Harry Know Roll 55%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 pm
by HoneyDog
Harry,It's in Hackney, but you still need to find the location. You'll need to edit your post otherwise it doesn't really make sense.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:03 pm
by aine
“I’m happy to stay round here and watch the inquest this afternoon after lunch if that frees you up for sleuthing at the asylum or following those men.” Isolde says to her companions.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I'm not much good at sneaking around," says Alexander, "but I could certainly go to the asylum and ask questions. As long as some of us attend the inquest, they can fill in the rest of us later. Those men are bound to show up at it too, which gives an opportunity for some of those who attend to try to follow them afterwards and see to whom they report."

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:13 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry says 'They drove off in a Hansom so we might struggle to keep up with them.'

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:09 pm
by Philulhu
”We could hire our own, could we not?” said Vic. “And perhaps if we keep an eye out for when they arrive, we might find out if the cab is waiting for them or if they’re just hiring one off the street.”

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry chuckles, 'They drove their own cab, I know because it said 'Malbray Asylum' on the back.'

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, we'll hire our own and have it ready to follow them in advance," says Alexander.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:40 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Who will stay at the inquest, and who will go to the asylum? Isolde will stay, but Alexander will go to the asylum.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:56 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"I shall stay here and keep company with Miss Isolde. It may be that these ruffians return here in any event. And there may be more to be gleaned from these grim proceedings."

"Miss Isolde, that being the case, I believe another dash in a hansom for a quick lunch is in order? Perhaps back to the City if you have no objection?"
Captains treat,This being the Gaslight Era and Crozier a well-to-do gentleman, he will not, I'm afraid, countenance anything other than his paying for ladies' meals. Fear not, he can afford it.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:23 am
by Raiko

"I could look fer the asylum this afternoon with 'arry," says Melody, "Some of us should in any case. It may be that the men won't return, an' it's better to search fer the place in daylight.

"I'm sure the cabbie will find it, they know where everything is."

ooc,I had a look out of curiosity and [i]The Knowledge[/i] test that all London taxi drivers must pass to be licenced began in 1865 - I had no idea whether it was a 20th thing. This requires the cabbies to know all landmarks (including hospitals) within 6 miles of Charing Cross, and the fastest route between any two landmarks. If the Asylum is in Hackney, then Hackney is less than 5 miles from Charing Cross.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:31 pm
by Philulhu
”I’ll come with you to the asylum,” said Vic, thinking that too many heavy lunches would leave her unable to get into her clothes. She had enough trouble trying to find a tailor to make her trouser suit last time... ...

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:36 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I'd rather visit the madhouse than sit through another one of these hearings' says Harry.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Isolde & Crozier,Unfortunately, Isolde and Crozier find that they do not have enough time to make a fine luncheon in the City, as they become embroiled in negotiations for hiring a reliable Hansom cab to ferry the party around. Luckily, they chance upon a gentlemen who claims allegiance to the East End Citizens’ Committee, who charges a fair price considering. It is then time to get to the next inquest in Whitechapel. The venue this time is a school building, which at least guarantees the behaviour of some of the more rowdier crowd elements. The children look on curiously, and many shout cheeky insults at Isolde when they see her style of dress. A fed-up looking Partington-White announces the beginning of the inquest into one Tom Vernon, aged twenty-five, of no fixed abode. Giving testimony are Inspectors Cleveland and Spaulding. Dr. Raffin is present, but doesn’t speak. Also in the crowd are the two horrible-looking men whom Isolde spied earlier. Inspector Cleveland gives most of the details. [color=#0000BF]“Vernon was already known to local police”[/color] he announces.[color=#0000BF] “He was a notorious mutcher with several warrants pending.”[/color] [color=#800080]“Mutcher?” [/color]echoes Partington-White.[color=#800080] “What is that?”[/color] The crowd begins laughing at his ignorance, and he is quick to shush them. [color=#0000BF]“It’s a robber of drunks” [/color]answers Cleveland. [color=#0000BF]“Well, his body was found near a coalbin in the railyards near Aldgate Station at 4 o’clock on the morning of October 24th. He was known to, ahem, ply his trade on drunken vagrants thereabouts.” [/color] The inquest continues with more minor details, and presently comes to an end. It is announced that the Rodrigues inquest will continue at the same venue tomorrow morning.
Everyone else,The companions manage to find a Hansom which will take them to Malbray Asylum. It is located in Hackney Wick, in the marshes between the London Water Works and the River Lea. The driver takes them down Temple Mill Road, and turns down a narrow lane. This route obviously sees little traffic. The surroundings give the impression of countryside; there are no buildings and no other traffic. The shadows of the late autumn trees cast a gloomy, foreboding air. The asylum itself is located on a low hill, surrounded by scrub and marsh. A grim, foreboding place, it seems surrounded by an 8-foot high wall. Within, the companions can see a massive, brooding stone building, which must be the main institution. Dropping them off, the cab driver claims that he cannot wait and sets off back down the lane, oblivious to any protestations. Turning to the entrance, the companions can see that the drive continues on, but the entrance is blocked by a gate of spiked iron bars. However, a sign adjacent indicate a bell for visitors to ring.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:18 pm
by Philulhu
Vic looked at the doorbell and paused. ”What are we going to say?” she asked. “We were in the vicinity and just popped in for a look around?”

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm
by aine
“Perhaps we can find tea after the inquest.” Says Isolde as they rattle over the cobbles towards the next inquest. Once inside she pays particular attention to the horrid men without being too obvious about it. She flushed at the children’s attention, “I wonder what they would have made of Vic’s clothing if they hoot over a few charms and crystals.” She thinks.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks down at his clothes and then over at Melody 'P'raps they're looking for staff mam?'. He doffs his hat to Vic and gives an obsequious bow.

He straightens up again and mimes taking Vic's arm, 'Or maybe you're feeling quite frightfully unwell?' he says in a high pitched voice.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 pm
by Philulhu
”I haven’t been feeling myself recently, Doctor Brown,” replied Vic with a grin. “Seriously, though, what are we going to say? I don’t think they just let people in for a look around anymore.”

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:58 pm
by Mephistophilis
'The way I see it there are two approaches, sneaky or straight up' says Harry. 'Sneaky includes me and Melody pretending we're looking for work. Straight up, some of us go in there, tell them we're investigating the East End murders, ask if they've had any recent admissions or escapes.'
OOC,How many of us are there, is Dr Campbell with us?

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should play it straight," says Alexander. "We'll get a lot further by being honest."

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:05 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,When you've worked out what you want to do, ring the bell.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:31 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier looks over at Isolde and grins. "At last, a bit of luck, time to see where the wind and tide take us."

Crozier keeps a sharp eye on the two ruffians as the inquest concludes and as everyone stands, quickly makes his way over to them. "I say, you fellows, I'd like a word."

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:23 am
by Raiko
"An' that don't rule out playin' it sneaky if honest don't work out too well.

"Per'aps they'll at least let us inside to give us the brush off."

Melody points after the rapidly retreating carriage, "If we can't get in, at least it looks like there's only the single road. Easy to watch for comin's an' goin's from the far end.

"Let's 'ope we don't need to leave in an 'urry though"

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:16 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'm going to split the narrative into two different threads from here, so please read and post accordingly.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:35 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks back up the road, 'You're right Melody, good site for an ambush. I'm happy to take the straightforward approach but I suggest one or two of us wait outside, maybe walk the perimeter and take a look around, then we've got someone they won't have seen before if we need the sneaky approach later.'

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:59 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Keep posting here then until you decide what to do.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:28 pm
by Philulhu
”Perhaps Harry should go in, if they’ll let him, as an enquiry agent. Melody could go with him, because she’s good with people,” said Vic. “And Dr Campbell and I could have a look around out here, to see what we can find.”

”How does that sound?”

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:36 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I'm game' says Harry. 'But maybe someone a bit more hoity-toity might impress them more?'
OOC,Harry and Melody both seem better at the old Fast Talk but less on Persuade, do we want a mix. We're also both low on Credit Rating

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:42 pm
by Philulhu
”Yourself and Dr Campbell, then?” suggested Vic.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:42 pm
by Raiko
Melody nods, "I'll 'elp Miss Victoria snoop around.

"If they don't see neither of us, then we still 'ave the other plans to try another time if need be."

ooc,Yes, unfortunately I picked Fast Talk as my social, it turns out that the way I've played her in both adventures, I probably should have gone for Charm.

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:59 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'm going to move this to a new sub-thread now.