Page 1 of 1

Chapter 10: November 1st

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:36 am
by HoneyDog
Tuesday 1st November, 1881, 9 am

Thrawl St., Spitalfields

The companions meet at the same spot the next day, on a cold and damp November morning. Blessing is already in attendance, shivering in his cheap suit.

The morning does not bring glad tidings however. Late editions of the previous day’s papers carried stories of another murder. This time the victim has already been identified as David Cook 26, whose body was found in Sidney St. He was apparently last seen in the company of a young woman. But this was no ordinary fruit-seller or sailor; Cook was the son of Sir Brian Cook, Lord Rexford – an MP and wealthy landowner. Lord Rexford has offered the sum of 500 pounds for the apprehension of his son’s killer.

Consequently, the streets are even more tense as usual, with groups of young men openly prowling around. The police are more in attendance now too, and reinforcements have been drafted in from other boroughs.

Re: Chapter 10: 1st November

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to find her today," says Alexander. "There must be no more deaths. We couldn't have prevented last night's murder, as she never came home beforehand, but now she must be here - unless there's somewhere else she may have spent the night."

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:57 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing looks pained at the mention of the murder.

“Perhaps if some of us enter the lodging house, and the rest wait here in case she comes by?” he suggests.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:53 pm
by Raiko

"I'll take a look inside," says Melody, "who's comin' with me?"
ooc,I've finished f'#*ing work for Christmas & New Year now, so no more absences!

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:27 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier appears on time, in the same rather nautical coat and cap as yesterday. "There's no room for regrets here. We chart the best course we can on what we know."

"Melody, I think you and Brown have had the greatest success entering those premises without causing a riot. I am more than happy to let you continue that winning streak. Just shriek if you need us."

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:54 pm
by aine
“And perhaps we should check around the back to watch any rear exits. I’ll stay and watch the front” Isolde is not keen to delve into the jumble of buildings at the back on her own. She is looking a bit under the weather today.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:25 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry frowns, 'More luck than anything else but at least we know where we're going, come on Melody'

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
“I will accompany you” says Blessing to Melody and Harry.

Leaving the others on the street, they enter the familiar jumble of houses, seeking out the lodging house where Crazy Annie could be found.

Familiar sights and sounds greet them, along with the suspicious stares of the residents.
Melody & Harry,Group halved Luck roll.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll go round the back and watch from there," says Alexander. "Who will go with me?"

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:23 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

"Happy to, doctor," Crozier says to Campbell. He accompanies the doctor to the rear of the premises, treading carefully.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:10 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,You might want to check to see if it's actually possible to gain access.
Alexander and Crozier attempt to make their way to the back of the lodging house. There is a narrow passage, but it is filthy and rubbish strewn, and smells terribly.

“What’re ye doin?” cries a voice. A rough-looking man stands regarding them. “What business d’ye have here, eh?”
OOC,Blessing, Harry & Melody have entered the doss. Crozier and Alexander are outside, being accosted. Isolde and Vic are in the main street and cannot see what's going on.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:05 pm
by aine
“Do you know anything about, er, prostitutes, Vic?” Asks Isolde slightly distastefully. “I mean; I was wondering if Annie went off on her own accord or would she be working for someone.”
She watches the passers-by.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:33 pm
by Raiko
Luck roll,Luck 75% / 2 (37%) : 0 :roll:

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:55 am
by HoneyDog
Vic & Isolde,One of you make a halved Luck roll.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:23 am
by Philulhu
Luck,Halved Luck roll - 60%/2 - 0
Vic felt herself blushing. ”Well, I’m aware that some women work as prostitutes and I understand that they might work from a brothel or even in the street, but I don’t know much more than that....” she said to Isolde.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're looking for a criminal suspect," says Alexander, deciding that honesty is the best policy. "Our colleagues are round the front. We're just here to make sure our quarry doesn't slip out the back."

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:02 am
by HoneyDog
“POLICE!”

The man starts shouting at the top of his voice.

Within the house several of the inhabitants hear the cry, and instantly take off running, the man himself joining them. The call also goes out around the other dosses, and soon there is a stream of people in the narrow lane, looking to escape the area. Our companions are barged around in the fray of panicking and shouting people, trying to stay on their feet and keep hold of their possessions.
OOC,All of you can each make a halved Luck roll. If you succeed, you might see someone familiar in the throng.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:56 am
by Snapper
Crozier:
Half Luck 30%,0
OOC:   Good grief.  
Crowley looks at Campbell with mild amusement. "Perhaps you might warn me before the next time you do that, Doctor." He keeps an arm tight across his torso to keep his valuables close and safe.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think that's her," whispers Alexander as he sees someone.
OOC,Luck roll (80 / 2 = 40% stat) to see [b]Annie[/b]: 0

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:16 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander has seen a thin, pale but very pretty young woman in the crowd of people fleeing. She looks very much like the drawing made by Isolde of Blessing’s description.
OOC,The companions are separated right now, but Alexander and Crozier can approach the woman if they hurry.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:53 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"Come on Campbell! No time to lose!" Crozier heads for the presumed nurse.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:18 am
by HoneyDog
The woman passes out of the passage into the main street.
OOC,A successful Spot Hidden roll from Isolde or Vic will notice her as she passes by.

Re: Chapter 10: November 1st

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:14 pm
by aine
Spot hidden,400
Isolde is so alarmed by the sudden rush of people that she sees nothing but a blurred mass of worried faces.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander also hurries after her, pretending to be just another member of the crowd fleeing the "police."

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:23 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander and Crozier are catching up to the fleeing figure.
OOC,If you want to stop her, you'll need to speak to her.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:57 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry continues to talk to the denizens of the doss house, looking for Annie.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander knows better than to open his mouth again. If Captain Crozier wants to say something to her, that's fine with him, but otherwise he will follow her to see where she goes.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:52 am
by HoneyDog
Now safely ensconced in the crowds of Commercial St., Annie ducks into a nearby tea shop, where she takes a seat inside.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:56 pm
by Philulhu
Vic looked on with bemusement. She’d been brought up to respect the police so to see the effect of the shouted warning was a new one to her. ”I shouldn’t imagine that will help our search,’ she commented to Isolde.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You should stay here and keep watch," says Alexander to Captain Crozier, "while I go get the others and bring them here." Not for the first time, he wishes that wireless telephones already existed and were commonplace. It would have been so much easier to contact them.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:11 pm
by aine
“Someone certainly stirred them up!” Grins Isolde. “Can you see any of the others or are they still in there?” She looks up and down the street once the glow of people slackens.
Spot hidden,40 0 some fine dice rolls going on here!

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:28 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"Good planning, Doctor, I'll wait here." Crozier stands a few yards down the footpath, watching the door to the tea shop.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:06 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander hurries back to where the others are still searching for Annie and each other. The panic has subsided now, and some of the residents are starting to realise that there is no danger.

Alexander manages to gather the companions together, and they rush back to Commercial St. and the tea shop.

Their quarry is still inside, nursing a cup of tea. Blessing's face lights up as he sees her, and he heads for the door.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:41 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain places a hand lightly on Blessing's shoulder for a moment. "Gently, doctor, you cannot guess what reaction you will receive. Go slowly. We will be near you but still not crowding the lass. And remember what she may have done, we must assume she is very, very dangerous."

Crozier will stick close by Doctor Blessing.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:55 pm
by HoneyDog
Blessing looks at Crozier, and nods gratefully.

“Thank you Captain he says. “It is her, for sure.”

He hesitates for a moment.

“One thing has been nagging me all this time” he eventually says. “What was the cause of this? What has compelled her to commit these obscene crimes? I must discover the reason in order to end all of this.”

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:21 pm
by aine
“It’s probably more important to get her somewhere safe without anyone else realising who she is. Finding out the reasons can happen later. If we lose her again we’ll never find her so be careful; she may not be happy to see you, Dr Blessing.” Isolde says, very concerned. “If she feels threatened she may well run again.”

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:58 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry stands outside the tea shop covering the door. 'Is there a rear entrance?' I suggest we block the exits while Dr Blessing tries to persuade the young lady to accompany us somewhere less public.' He takes out a match and lights a cigar, taking the opportunity to feel the presence of the weighted cosh in his coat pocket.

Harry suspects this may be the moment when he has to make a choice between upholding the gentlemen's reckless promise to the doctor and preventing someone else getting murdered. He looks around for any sign of a police officer.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, let's wait until she's safely at the asylum before we try to find out why she did it," says Alexander. "I'll stay out front this time. It didn't go so well when I covered the back last time, but someone should."

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:21 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The police are on high alert so the chances of an officer being in shouting distance are very high. A successful Luck roll means that there is one in the street. Will anyone enter with Blessing?

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:28 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier follows Dr Blessing in, close behind his shoulder, with a thoughtful expression on his face. He is not best pleased at the idea of having to use violence against a member of the distaff side.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:21 pm
by aine
Isolde looks at Melody and Vic. “We ought to keep an eye out for any police men. We could try to distract them if they venture this way.”
Isolde looks up and down the street looking for any blue uniforms.
Spot hidden,40 0

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:19 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks up and down the street for a police officer but can't see any sign of one. 'Someone had better supervise Blessing, maybe one of the lady's, but I'll go with him if no one else wants to.'
Harry Luck 50%,0

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:43 pm
by Philulhu
Vic glanced down at her legs that were clad in jodhpurs and riding boots. “I’m not sure my ankles will distracting anyone dressed like this, so I think,I’ll come with you, Mr Brown,” she said.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:41 am
by HoneyDog
Crozier, Vic and Harry enter the tea shop with Blessing, while the others remain outside.

Inside it is warm, and the shop is mostly full. Blessing approaches the young woman, who is intent on her cup of tea, a worried expression on her face.

Miss Bayldon? Joan?”

After a moment, the woman looks up in surprise.

“I’m Annie Bayldonshe says. “I don’t know any Joan. Perhaps you’re confusing me with someone else?”
Crozier & Vic & Harry,You can roll Psychology for getting a measure of the young woman.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:47 am
by Mephistophilis
Surprised by her response Harry looks for Blessing's reaction.
Harry Psychology 13%,0
OOC:   Fail  

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:52 am
by Snapper
Crozier:
Psych 40%,0 [ooc]Success.[/ooc]
Crozier considers the young woman thoughtfully...

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:08 pm
by Philulhu
Vic watched on, unsure as to what was happening. Why had Blessing called her Joan? Wasn’t it Annie they were looking for?
OOC,Psychology (50%) - 0

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:42 pm
by HoneyDog
Crozier & Vic,Although she denies being named Joan, she seems somehow uncertain about it, as if the name makes her recollect something.
Miss Bayldon, do you know me?” asks Blessing. “I’m Christopher Blessing, from Malbray Asylum.”

A flicker of recognition comes at the mention of Malbray, although she doesn’t seem to recognize Blessing.

“Of course I know Malbray” she says. “But they released me. What do you want?”

“We want to help you” says Blessing earnestly. “We know about the problems you’ve been having. Will you come with us?”

Bayldon looks at him quizzically, as if unsure what to do.
OOC,Blessing failed his Persuade roll. If you want her to come along, then a successful appeal and Persuade roll will do it.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:26 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier gives the others a discreet affirmative nod.

He looks to Miss Bayldon and removes his cap. "Miss, my name is Captain Crozier. The good doctor here, my friends and I are most concerned only for your welfare. You will be safe if you come with us. And if this is all a misunderstanding, it will soon be sorted out."
Persuade 35%,0

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander sees the gesture and comes inside. "I'm Dr. Alexander Campbell," he says. "I'm helping Dr. Blessing, and I can assure you that he cares about you and has your best interests at heart." She seems to waver, but he hasn't quite convinced her.
OOC,Persuade roll (62% skill) to convince [b]Miss Bayldon[/b] to return to Malbray: 0

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:04 pm
by aine
Isolde watches through the window; it doesn’t seem to be going too well. But then at least Annie hasn’t run yet and doesn’t look panicked. She wonders if she went in too whether that would prove to be too many people.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:11 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Vic is [i]inside[/i] the shop. Both Vic and Harry can still roll Persuade.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:51 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry silently slips beside Blessing. 'Miss Bayldon, we have something rather serious we need to talk to you about. It concerns the recent murders.'
Harry Persuade 15%,0
OOC:   Close but not close enough  

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:58 pm
by aine
Isolde looks at Melody. “Nothing ventured...” she says and pushes open the door.
Persuade,52 0 on trend! It’s down to Vic and Melody then.
“Hello, Annie, I’m Isolde. We are all friends and we are not with any of the authorities. We’d like to help you, if we can.”

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:16 pm
by Raiko
Following Isode through the door Melody agrees, "Yes we're just here to help."
Melody Persuade 15%,Persuade(15%): 0
OOC:   Down to Vic to save our embarrassment...  

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:44 pm
by Philulhu
Vic held out a reassuring hand. “We don’t wish you any harm,” she said.
Persuade (45%),0

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:15 am
by HoneyDog
“Oy, ain’t you gonna sit dahn?” calls the proprietor when he sees the crowd around Miss Bayldon’s table.

Miss Bayldon herself looks confused for a moment, then finally relents at the multiple requests. She stands up.

“Very well” she says. “I’ll come with you.”

Blessing lets out a sigh of relief, and begins to lead Bayldon from the shop.

“We’ll get a cab, and get you back to Malbray. I’ll help you get to the bottom of this” he says.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander heads outside to hail a cab and make sure the path is clear.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:35 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain fishes or some appropriate coins to pay for Miss Bayldon's tea, and a tip for good measure.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:47 pm
by HoneyDog
Cabs are plentiful and Alexander is easily able to hail one. It comes to a rest at the kerb, waiting for instruction.

The companions stand outside the tea shop, while Dr. Blessing negotiates the fare to Hackney Wick with the cabby. Miss Bayldon waits patiently, wrapped in her shawl against the cold autumn wind.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,How many passengers can fit in the cab?

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:04 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,A Hansom cab would take 3 people at a squeeze.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:10 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain quickly hails another pair of cabs, that the entire party could travel together. "Shall one of us travel with Dr Blessing and the young lady?"

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:11 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Slow down! Is the plan to go to Malbray too?

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:12 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry whispers to Vic, 'Miss Miller, you'd best go with the doctor and Miss Bayldon, we'll follow behind.'

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander nods and looks around for additional cabs.
OOC,Yes, let's all go to Malbray.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:22 am
by HoneyDog
Seeing Crozier’s actions, Dr. Blessing asks, “Do you intend to come to Malbray with us?”

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:13 am
by Philulhu
Vic nodded.

She smiled at Miss Bayldon and took her arm. ”I’ll come with you and Dr. Blessing,” she said brightly.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:58 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain nods to Dr Blessing. "Aye, we should not be doing our duty unless we at least saw you both safe to Malbray."

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:17 am
by Raiko
Melody just nods in agreement.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
Blessing hesitates for a moment, then nods.

"Certainly, we appreciate the company. I'll see you at Malbray."

He and Bayldon board the cab, with Vic squeezing in behind them.

The carriage sets off, and as soon as the rest of the party is boarded in their transport, they leave for Hackney Wick.
Vic,Blessing and Bayldon will travel in silence, but Vic can talk to them on the journey if she wishes.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander watches the other cab through the window, just to make sure they don't get separated.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:55 pm
by aine
“What are we going g to do when we get there? I doubt they’ll let us in. Annie will disappear inside and that’ll be the last of her. Until she escapes again.” Isolde adds darkly.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I thought she worked there," says Alexander. "She was able to come and go as she pleased before, but now she can't. I think Dr. Blessing will let us inside."

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:04 am
by Philulhu
Vic sat facing Dr Blessing and Miss Bayldon. The silence was oppressive and for want of anything else to say, Vic said, ”When were you released from Malbury, Miss Bayldon?”

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:39 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'm going to move Vic's discussion to a separate thread. Sorry that the action will mostly focus on her for a little while. The rest of you can continue using this thread to discuss your plans, though.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:11 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Experienced at performing essential tasks while in a roughly moving vessel, the Captain pulls out his hip flask and artfully pours a 'wee dram' of single malt into its upturned cap. He offers this to Isolde first. "Fine single malt. It will help ward off the chill of this ride, Miss isolde."

Dr Campbell will of course be offered a dram next.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye kindly, Captain," says Alexander, gratefully accepting the dram.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:18 pm
by aine
Isolde takes the dram and drinks it with a lady like splutter.
“Thank you, Captain. It’s very warming; as the saying goes- something about cockles?”

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:17 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"Warms the cockles of your heart. And indeed it does." Crozier knocks back a capfull himself. "May I tempt anyone to a second? For medicinal purposes only, it is a long and chilly ride."

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye," says Alexander, "but I'd best keep my wits about me. It does warm one, though. Hmm...that is an additional advantage a carriage powered by a steam engine would have - the heat from the engine could be used to warm the interior."

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:42 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"Aye, many's the sailor who has gratefully warmed himself by the engine of a tramp steamer, I assure you, Doctor. But surely burning coal smoke would make travel on a small land vessel unsavory? In the carriage of a train you are some distance from the engine."

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that is the problem with it," says Alexander. "Perhaps what is needed is a new type of engine, one that burns more cleanly."

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:49 am
by aine
Isolde sighs into her muffler. With all the cooking fires burning in London it was stinking enough without all the cabs and carts carrying fires too.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry follows in a third cab with Melody. He drops the more refined accent he uses with the other members of the Seekers. 'I don't like this, I don't like this wun little bit' he says to Melody. 'Did yah see that woman? She didn't recognise the name Blessing used. And now they're disappearin' off to the asylum.' He shudders, 'Whadda we really know about 'im anyway?'

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:50 pm
by HoneyDog
Eventually the three cabs arrive at Malbray. Blessing climbs down and after paying the driver, helps Miss Bayldon and then Vic from the cab.

As the other companions emerge, Blessing addresses them.

“Thank you all most sincerely for your assistance. I will now see that Miss Bayldon receives the treatment she needs, and attempt to get some answers as to why all of this happened. Captain Crozier, I will send you a telegram to advise on progress as soon as I can. Until then.”

He bows his head and begins to lead Bayldon to the gate.
OOC,Whatever you want to do now, you need to decide whether you want the cabs to wait. Bear in mind the drivers’ presence if you want to discuss something private.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:11 pm
by aine
Isolde hides a wry smile with her hand. “I’m not sure we should stand for that!” She whispers to her companions as they alight from the cab. “After all we have done to help him, one of us at least must sit in on that discussion.”

She calls out to the doctor,
“Doctor Blessing, before you go, we have aided you as promised; at least let some of us be part of that discussion with the young lady.”
Persuade,520

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:06 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing hesitates.

“I’m not against it in principle of course, you've all been of the most marvelous assistance, but I’m not sure that Dr. Vandorff would approve. It’s probably best to wait until I send word.”

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps at least some of us can come in," says Alexander. "I'm sure if we could speak to Dr. Vandorff, we could convince him."

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:00 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing still looks uncertain.

“Well, I will have to ask him. If you’re absolutely sure.”

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:30 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain goes to speak to the three cab drivers. "Lads, I'm hoping I can convince you to wait an hour or two here for us. There's a half crown in it for each of you, on top of your charge for bringing us out here and for taking us back. What do you say?"

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:20 am
by HoneyDog
The cabbies agree to wait, and seeing that the companions are determined to enter, Blessing unlocks the gate and the party proceeds up the drive towards the main asylum building.

As it grows closer, it appears even more gloomy and forbidding than from at the gate. Its stone walls are cold and streaked with moss, crumbling and grey but still imposing, and all visible windows are barred and shuttered. Very little noise can be heard. A long veranda runs along the asylum’s front and sides, while at the south end a tall tower rises above the rest of the building; a tiny circular window in its conical roof suggests an attic room. Overall, the atmosphere is one of melancholy, neglect and despair.

Blessing leads the way to the main doors. Inside is an entryway furnished with wooden chairs and a coat tree.

“You’ll be more comfortable in the receiving room” he says, and he enters an adjoining room containing plush but ageing chairs, a divan, a desk, and numerous bookshelves containing many books.

“Please wait here while I consult with Dr. Vandorffsays Blessing, and he leads Miss Bayldon away down the corridor, closing the door behind him.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:40 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain's scotch-induced haze is forcibly cleared by the depressing environment. He wanders over to read the book titles.

"Hmmm, I guess we have to decide if this is an institution that will keep society safe from that young woman. We know what she's done and is capable of."

"I wonder if we might find someone here who could explain those symbols she was carving into men? Or even why she was murdering them?"

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:52 pm
by HoneyDog
Looking at the book titles, many of them seem to be medical and psychological tomes, mostly written in English, German and Latin. The other subjects represented include philosophy, history and anthropology. There is nothing about the occult.
OOC,If examining the books, you can make a halved Spot Hidden roll.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:59 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry skims the book titles but nothing catches his eye. 'So what's our plan if they whisk her away and kick us out?'
Harry Spot Hidden 66%,0

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:19 pm
by Raiko
Mephistophilis,Apologies for not replying to Harry in the cab, this week has been a nightmare due to Boris' lockdown 3.0. Anyway Melody agrees completely with Harry and I'd planned for her to say much the same thing.
"If they kick us out, we should go to the police," says Melody, "Either that or we go to Nash wi' everything we know.

"This Doctor Blessin' ain't given me any reason to trust 'im at all."

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:41 pm
by Philulhu
Keeping an eye on the door, lest he return, Vic said quietly, ”There seems to be some confusion about who the woman is. She thinks she’s Annie Bayldon but Dr. Blessing thinks she is called Joan Bayldon and that Annie was her mother’s name. He’s planning to hypnotise her - he thinks she is repressing memories, but of what, he wouldn’t say.”

She thought for a moment. ”I think it might be useful if we were there when that happened. I’m not sure I completely trust Dr. Blessing.”

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:29 pm
by aine
Isolde, out of habit, is drawn to the books.
Spot hidden,40/2 0
“I agree, we simply must have someone watching the hypnotism if that happens. Maybe this Dr. Vandorff might be persuaded by a scientific reason.” She looks at Alexander and Crozier.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:54 pm
by Raiko
Melody follows Isolde across to the bookshelf.
Half Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden(60%)/2 (30%): 0 Curses again :evil:

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:39 am
by Philulhu
Seeing Isolde and Melody examine the books. Vic took a wander over to the bookshelf to look for herself.
Spot Hidden (25%/2),0

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I could do that," says Alexander, examining the books. "Perhaps she has a twin sister. Or perhaps she has two distinct personalities."
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (67% / 2 = 33.5% skill) examining the books: 0

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:11 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:
Half Spot Hidden 25%,0
"The one thing I am certain of is that Dr Blessing's concern for that young woman is genuine. As for who she is, is it such a stretch to imagine that her insanity makes her believe she is another?"

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
Alexander,Looking closely, Alexander notes that quite a number of the German-language books are authored by a Dr. Arnst von Draffen.
At that moment the door opens, and a powerful-looking woman enters carrying a tray. Her demeanor is grim and her hair is cropped very short. Some of the companions recognize her as the woman they spoke to at the gate on their previous visit.

She sets the tray down on the desk. It contains a teapot with cups and saucers, with a jug of milk.

Herr Doktor will see you soon” she says in a heavily-accented voice. “Please, refresh.”

She begins to pour the tea into the cups, and starts handing them out to the investigators.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:24 pm
by aine
“Thank you.” Isolde is glad of a cup of tea. She takes it to the window and sips it whilst looking out.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank ye kindly," says Alexander, gratefully accepting a cup of tea.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:58 pm
by Mephistophilis
Ignoring the tea, Harry starts pacing by the window. 'Has anyone heard of this Doctor Vandorff?'
Keeper,Any chance we'd have heard of him?

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Not I," says Alexander. "Has anyone heard of a Dr. Arnst von Draffen?"

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:38 am
by HoneyDog
Mephistophilis wrote:
Keeper,Any chance we'd have heard of him?
OOC:   No.  
The woman looks mortally offended at Harry's refusal. Her features take on an even grimmer visage. She holds the cup out again.

"Tea! Refresh!"

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:20 am
by Philulhu
Vic stood back. She wasn’t inclined to drink the tea either. If offered, she wouldn’t refuse the cup but she had no plans to drink it.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:47 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain steps in smoothly, hoping to avoid any arguments. "Yes of course. Please forgive my colleague, he has not had all the benefits of a formal upbringing. He would be most grateful for a cup of tea, as would I." At some moment when Crozier's face is not visible to the woman but Brown can see him, he grins and waggles his eyebrows once.

Crozier himself accepts a cup and, again for Brown's eyes, lifts it to his lips without drinking. After that, he will continue sipping normally.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:20 pm
by aine
“It’s very nice tea.” Says Isolde despite the fact that it really isn’t. “Excuse me, are you the housekeeper? You must have your work cut out running this huge establishment.” She smiles at Rosa Klebb. My name is Miss Isolde Beauchant and you are?”

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:29 pm
by Mephistophilis
Nodding to Crozier, Harry takes the tea and stands sloshing it about the cup without drinking. 'Thank you very kind.'

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:08 am
by HoneyDog
Satisfied, the woman leaves, ignoring or not understanding Isolde's questions.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:27 am
by Philulhu
Vic looked around the room. If there was a pot plant, it would be getting the benefit of her tea... ...

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:48 am
by HoneyDog
About thirty more minutes pass, but there is no word from the staff.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"I mentioned Dr. Arnst von Draffen because he wrote several of these books," says Alexander. "They should have come back for us by now. I wonder what's going on."

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 am
by HoneyDog
Melody & Isolde & Crozier,You have been drugged! Melody manages to shake of the worst effects and can still function, but her skills are halved for 2 hours. She feels dopey and lethargic. Isolde sleeps for 1 hour, Crozier for 4. Sorry guys, you’re going to be out of it for a while. But that might actually be a good thing.
Alexander’s question is answered when Crozier suddenly crashes to the floor unconscious, and Isolde leans back in her chair, closes her eyes, and begins snoring loudly. Melody too is afflicted, sinking back on the sofa, her head in her hands.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:52 am
by Mephistophilis
Seeing what has happened to his companions Harry immediately tries the door handle to see if it is locked. If it is he checks the window.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:11 pm
by HoneyDog
As Harry turns the knob, the door opens easily. It's not locked.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
Very gently Harry edges open the door to look outside.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:25 pm
by HoneyDog
The entryway to the main door is clear, but there is another door on the opposite side of the room too. It is also unlocked, and opens out onto a corridor. Other doors can be seen.
Harry,Poking his head out, Harry can hear voices drawing closer, a man and a woman. They don't appear to be speaking in English.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:30 pm
by Philulhu
Vic jumped as Captain Crozier crashed to the floor. She rushed to help him, turned him over and gently patted his face, searching his pocket for a handkerchief to mop up the blood that trickled from his nose. She looked

”Mr. Brown!” she hissed. “What are we going to do?!”

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:33 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry hisses back, 'The way to the front door is clear but I can hear two voices coming, and they're not English.'

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 pm
by Philulhu
”There must have been something in the tea,” said Vic. ”If there are only two of them, we could pretend to be drugged too and see what they do!”

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," whispers Alexander, slumping over on the sofa beside Melody and pretending to be unconscious. "They probably speak German."

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:56 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Will Harry follow this plan?

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:46 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks back at his companions and against his better judgement walks back towards the window and sinks down against the wall, his hand on the cosh in his pocket.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:56 am
by HoneyDog
The companions hurriedly lie down and feign unconsciousness. Soon, the door creaks open, and someone enters the room.

With their eyes closed, the companions cannot see who is there, but they hear the voice of the woman from earlier. Her companion is male, and answers in a deep gruff growl.

One of them crosses the room and locks the exits. They return to where they came and leave the room, locking the door behind them.
OOC,They are indeed speaking German – if Vic makes a successful German roll, she will be able to translate what they said. I’m assuming that the characters will keep feigning unconsciousness, but if you wanted to attack the couple, be careful as you don’t know their exact movements. I'll retcon if that's the case.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:14 am
by Philulhu
OOC,German (41%) - 0 Edit: Scheisse!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:19 am
by Mephistophilis
When they've left, Harry goes back to the door and tries to pick the lock without success. 'We're stuck in here, let's take a look at the sleepers.'
Harry Lockpick 61%,0
OOC:   Uh oh  

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
After trying to arouse his sleeping companions Harry sets out their precarious situation. 'We're locked in, they think we're unconscious but I expect they'll be back soon with the orderlies to lock us away, or worse. Sergeant Craig knew we were investigating the asylum, but didn't know we had come here because...' he scowls at Alexander, 'We promised Blessing not to involve them. So even if he comes looking for us I doubt there will be anything to find. The cabbies were likely sent off and wouldn't think anything untoward. So unless we can get out of here now we're in trouble.'

He looks over the windows to see if there are bars affixed, and if so, whether they might be removed. He looks around the room, 'Perhaps we could barricade the door, buy some time. Or maybe we will just have to try and fight our way out.'

He looks at the window, wondering if he could break the glass and throw out a few burning books to catch the attention of the cabbies if they're still here.
OOC,Where is this room in relation to the entrance?

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The room directly connects to the entrance. But there are two other doors too, if you want to open them. The people came from the door which is opposite the door to the entrance hallway, which is the door that Harry tried to open.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"The answers we seek may actually be here," says Alexander. "If we leave, it should only be to bring in the police and have them go over this place with a fine-toothed comb. At this point, Dr. Blessing appears to have betrayed us, and the agreement is now void. We have multiple witnesses to our kidnapping, and that is cause enough for the police to act. But we cannot leave without our unconscious friends. We must try to revive them." He tries to awaken Melody.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:44 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Melody is awake – she is just suffering from the effects of the drug. She is effectively at 50% of her normal abilities.
Despite the efforts of the conscious investigators, Crozier and Isolde cannot be awoken. Melody is functional and awake, but she complains of feeling dopey and lethargic, and is clearly not functioning at her full capacity.

It has been about 10 minutes since the couple left.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,So the door we came in through is the one opposite the entrance, and that is now locked. But there are two more doors out of this room?
Harry tries the other doors.
OOC,If the doors are locked Harry will try and pick them. Lockpick 61%. Door 1 0. Door 2 1

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:54 pm
by HoneyDog
Harry,Slow down - one action at a time. Please wait for the others to catch up. It's okay, but Harry won't be able to perform any more actions for the time being.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:20 pm
by Raiko
"I'm okay Doctor," says Melody groggily, "but I won't be much use at the moment."

"Try to wake the others."

ooc,Quarter skill then for most tests in this adventure. ;)

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:00 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Heh, I'm over excited.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 pm
by Philulhu
Having made Crozier comfortable, Vic looked around the room. Seeing the doors, she went to check them out.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"They're not waking up," says Alexander after trying. "It's too late to force the drugs out of their stomachs; they'll have already passed through into the bloodstream. We'll have to carry them until they sleep it off, presuming we can get out of this room. Maybe if we could find some sort of stimulant, but that's dangerous in untrained hands."

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:38 am
by HoneyDog
Harry manages to open a door, which accesses the entry hall.

However, at this moment, there is the sound of the opposite door being unlocked…

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander pretends to be passed out on the sofa again and gestures for the others to do the same.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 pm
by Philulhu
Vic quickly adopted the same position she had been in when they had first been checked.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
Closing the door behind him Harry makes a break for the entrance. He's not turning down a second chance.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:58 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   As the party has split up, I'll make separate threads.  

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:42 pm
by HoneyDog
Alexander and Vic retreat back to the receiving room, in time to see Harry being berated by an incensed Melody.

“Why the bloody hell are you slapping them? We’ve been drugged, you bloody fool.”

Seeing Vic and Alexander return, she says,

“The coward came back. Maybe this time he’ll stay and help. Where’s the woman?”

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"She ran down the hall and around the corner," says Alexander. "She was too far ahead for us to catch before she gets help. We should barricade the door we just came through."

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:06 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC,How many doors/corridors are off the entrance hall and receiving room?
Harry ignores Melody, she's clearly delirious. 'I've just had a run in with the big man from the inquest. I've bolted the front door but he's out there. The front gate's locked, the cabs have left, and I couldn't get over the wall.'

His mind is racing, there's little chance of sneaking out for help now. They'll need to break out en masse. 'We need to get keys from someone and take a carriage if we're going to get out. How many orderlies did you see? Currently I've got the giant, the two rough ones, but I've not seen them yet, and the German woman, anyone else? Maybe the man we heard was the giant, he was German. And where's Blessing? Looks like he double crossed us.'

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:31 am
by Philulhu
”What can we use to barricade the door?” asked Vic.”Should we drag some of the furniture over?”

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that's all we've got," says Alexander, helping to shift the furniture. "I dinna ken if Dr. Blessing betrayed us. They may have locked him up in here, and the lass too. I only saw the German woman."

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:06 am
by HoneyDog
The companions begin to barricade the door to the corridor, using the desk.
OOC,There are 3 doors in the entryway – one leading to the entrance, and another to the receiving room. There are two more doors in the receiving room, one of which leads to the corridor outside.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
'There's another door out here,' Harry steps out into the entrance and tries the third door to see where it goes. He then sees if he can lock it from the inside. If not, he looks around for furniture that might barricade it.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:13 pm
by HoneyDog
As Harry is fiddling with the door to the entrance way, the set of double doors in the receiving room, which have remained shut throughout events, suddenly click open.

The big man with long black hair enters, looking around the room. But he raises his hands in submission.

"Please" he begins in his thick accent. "No fight. Me vant talk."

Melody looks up at him from her place on the sofa, speaking quickly.

"Dr. Blessing talked about you. You're Mansche, aren't you? He said you weren't a cruel man. Why are you doing this?"

Mansche nods and looks down at her.

"Doctor said you bad people. Vant to hurt us. Why?"
OOC,I'm going to NPC Melody for the time being.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:25 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I met Mr Mansch outside' says Harry, 'Sorry about pushin' you over' he says sheepishly, 'I 'ope the ankle's not too bad.'

'We were invited here by Dr Blessing, 'elped 'im find Miss Bayldon, then you and your associates drugged us and attacked my friends', he gestures to the others.

'We've got no idea why Blessing would say we want to 'urt anyone. We're jus' protecting ourselves.'

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We don't want to hurt anyone, and we're not bad people," says Alexander. "Doctor lied to you, to try to trick you. He's really a bad person. They gave us tea when we came, but they put something in it to make us fall asleep. Most of us didn't drink it. Then the big woman came and tried to put us away. When we told her to stop, she tried to hurt us."

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:55 pm
by Philulhu
Vic still had ahold of the poker which she tried to hide behind her legs, lest this Mansch fellow get the wrong idea about them wanting to hurt him.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
“Not Blessing says Mansche. Doctor Vandorff.”

He stops, obviously thinking to himself.

Just then, the door to the corridor rattles as someone tries to open it. It is then pushed, as someone tries to force themselves in.

Greta?” Mansche shouts.

Rolf?” comes the reply. Vas ist?”

Rolf speaks again in German, and the noise on the other side of the door stops.
Vic,Vic can roll German to figure out what Rolf is saying.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander remains silent so as not to give away that they're still present.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:20 am
by Philulhu
OOC,German (41%) - 0 Edit: Vic was beginning to wonder whether her German teacher - Monsieur Jean-Paul Lavert - had actually taught her any German at all... ... :? )

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:59 pm
by HoneyDog
Vic cannot make any sense out of the dialect being spoken. It comes as a surprise then, as shortly the female orderly enters the room through the same doors as Rolf. She carries what looks like a short club in one meaty fist. She is followed by a most unwelcome sight – the short, blond, horribly dirty man seen at the inquests, using the asylum coach. Even worse, he holds a double-barreled shotgun in his hands. Seeing the companions, he smiles nastily.

Rolf turns and addresses the woman in German. She turns to look at him, a dumbfounded expression on her face.

“You, out!” Rolf growls at the blond man, whose smile instantly vanishes.

“What?” he protests. His accent is also foreign, but unlike the others. “The Doctor said…”

He is given no time to finish as Rolf, paying no heed to the gun, quickly raises one massive palm to the man's face and forcefully pushes him back through the doors, closing them afterwards.

Rolf , wincing as he puts his weight on his right leg, then begins a rapid-fire discussion in German with the woman, who he addresses as Greta. It is clear that they are very familiar with each other.
Vic,Again, Vic can try and translate.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:15 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,German (41%) - 0 Edit: Mon dieu! :?

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:28 am
by HoneyDog
The conversation continues. Greta appears quite angry, sometimes gesturing towards the companions, while Rolf seems stubborn, often repeating the same phrases. Eventually he turns to the investigators and asks,

“Tell us everything. Why are you ‘ere with Dr. Blessing and Miss Bayldon?”

Meanwhile, Isolde begins to stir in her chair.
OOC,The best bet is to convince the couple that you are not a threat. Persuade rolls will help but aren't 100% necessary if the details are convincing enough. Isolde can rejoin the action now.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"We are members of a group called the Seekers of Enlightenment," explains Alexander. "We were hired to investigate the murders in the East End. We met Dr. Blessing in the process, as he has been attending some of the Coroner's inquests, the same as we have. He told us that the woman committing the murders is not in her right mind, and we agreed to help him find her and bring her here for treatment. She actually works here, he told us. With the description he gave, we were able to track her down to her flat. It took some convincing, but we got Miss Bayldon to agree to come with us to the asylum. However, she gave a different first name than the one Dr. Blessing knew. We convinced Dr. Blessing to let us come inside, and were told to wait here. The tea that Greta gave us was drugged, but most of us did not drink it. When some of our friends fell asleep, the rest of us pretended to be asleep as well. She returned with the intention of locking us up. Once she realized we were only shamming, she assaulted me. I managed to fend off her blows, but then she attacked our companion here." He indicates Vic. "It was at that point that we managed to get through her defenses, and she ran away."
OOC,Persuade roll (62% skill) to convince [b]Rolf[/b]: 0 Woohoo! 8-) Critical success!

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:13 am
by HoneyDog
The couple look confused at the onslaught of English, but they try to follow it as best they can.

“You helped Miss Bayldon?” asks Rolf “You brought her back?”

“Yes” says Melody. “We could have told the police about her, but we didn’t. We brought her here to help her and Dr. Blessing. And you try to drug us, and lock us up!”

She indicates the strait-jackets.

Rolf looks shame-faced, and turns to Greta, who is still looking doubtful. He starts talking to her in German again.
Vic,Vic can roll German again.
OOC,Rolf seems convinced, but Greta will take more work. You need to get her on your side, or at least doubting her orders.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:19 pm
by aine
Isolde’s dream of a river party fractures as German voices intrude, She wakes up groggily, feeling rather sick. Once she opens her eyes and sees the rather alarming tableau, she tries to sit up.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:25 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry addresses them again, 'Mr Mansch and, erm, I'm afraid we haven't been introduced to your...wife?'

'We've been investigating the recent murders in the East End. I visited here to ask some questions a week ago.'
He looks at the woman to see if he recognises her and she him.

'We met Dr Blessing and your two unsavoury colleagues at the inquest. When Dr Blessing explained that Miss Bayldon was the murderer but she needed assistance, we agreed to aid Dr Blessing in finding her and bringing her back to the asylum for help. He said he might be able to treat her. We were trying to stop her from being hurt by the police, by the street mobs, and by your colleagues.' He looks pleadingly to Mr Mansche and the woman.

'Everything we have done has been to try and help Miss Bayldon. If we've hurt anyone at all, and sorry again about the leg, it has been in self defence.'

'We have never even met this Doctor Vandorff. Would it be like him to want to imprison or harm people?'

'You must let us go, the police would come looking for us, you are not the kind of people who want to hurt others, I can see that.'

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:48 am
by Philulhu
OOC,German (41%) - 0 At last!
Vic listened carefully as they spoke and it finally began to make sense...

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:16 am
by HoneyDog
The couple listen to Harry’s words, but they struggle to follow it all. They start at the mention of the word ‘police’. Again they resume their conversation.
Vic,Vic can double her German score when rolling again as she is getting used to their way of speaking. It is clear that Rolf is not happy about being ordered to lock the investigators up, and he believes their story. He is asking why Dr. Vandorff requires such a thing of them, especially after the investigators helped Miss Bayldon. Greta is adamant about obeying her orders, reminding Rolf of the debt that they owe the Doctor, and they should not question him. Rolf feels that the Doctor is asking too much of them this time, and wants to know more. Greta is beginning to waver. Rolf then asks about the whereabouts of Dr. Blessing. Greta is hesitant to answer.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:27 pm
by Philulhu
”We only came here to help,” said Vic to Greta. “I’m not sure why you were asked to try to drug us, but we don’t mean any harm. We’re just trying to get to the bottom of the recent murders.”

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:30 am
by HoneyDog
“Where is Dr. Blessing?” Melody asks the couple.

At this question, Greta casts her eyes down.

“In his room” she replies.

“Is he a prisoner too?” Melody asks.

Greta nods. This brings a new round of German between her and Rolf. Greta begins to nod her head in resignation.
Vic,Roll German.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander waits to see what Vic says first, seeing as she understands the language.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:49 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,German (2x 41%) - 0
With her ear now tuned into their speech, Vic found it much easier to follow their conversation.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:16 pm
by aine
Isolde sits quietly waiting to regain her faculties and trying to figure what’s been going on. She wonders how long she’s been asleep.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:38 am
by HoneyDog
Vic,Rolf doesn’t understand why Dr. Blessing would have been locked in his room. He is insisting he won’t do anything else until Dr. Vandorff explains what’s going on. He tells Greta that although they are loyal to him, they don’t need trouble with the police, and Vandorff might be asking too much of them. Greta finally agrees, but she is saying that the investigators should stay here while she talks to Vandorff.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:20 am
by Philulhu
Reluctant to remain cooped up, Vic said, ”Why don’t we come with you and see the doctor so we can talk to him directly?”

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:00 am
by HoneyDog
Greta seems somewhat surprised at this request, but is urged by Rolf to accept.

“Very well” she says.

Melody, who is still weakened by the drug, offers to stay with Crozier.

The party leaves the room, but as they enter the corridor they are greeted by the sight of the dirty blond orderly from earlier, who has been joined by his equally foul, black-haired companion. The blond has his shotgun, while the other man carries a revolver.

“Everything okay, Wolf?” asks the black-haired one. Joseph ‘ere says you might need a hand with our guests. Where you goin’?”

Rolf doesn’t stop limping forward. “See Doctor he says impassively.

“You wouldn’t ‘av ‘ad a change o’ heart now, would you Greta?” sneers the man.

Rolf stops short before him, Greta not far behind.

“Stand aside” says Rolf to the man.

“Now look ‘ere” he begins, but is interrupted when Rolf swings a mighty fist at him.

Any other man might have been felled by the blow, but this wily street fighter is prepared. He casually steps back and fires his revolver at Rolf, but the shot goes wide, striking the wall. The other man, Joseph, aims his shotgun at Rolf, but is interrupted by Greta, who swings and misses with her club. He swings the gun back towards her.
OOC,The companions can attack too, if they wish. Please state who you will attack.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Seeing that Joseph is the greater threat with that shotgun - and wanting to take it for himself - Alexander moves up close to him so that he cannot bring the barrel to bear on him and socks him in the jaw!
OOC,Fist/Punch roll (50% base skill) attacking [b]Joseph[/b], knockout attempt: 0 Damage to [b]Joseph[/b]: 1

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:00 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry leans in to seize the man arm, then tries to grab the revolver.
OOC,I think you can disarm with a successful Grapple, which can be opposed, then a second Grapple, Grapple 75% 0 1

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:37 pm
by Philulhu
Vic aimed for the blonde man’s hand where he gripped the shotgun, trying to loosen his grip or even break his fingers. She was getting decidedly fed-up of everyone acting in such a disagreeable manner and she swung the poker down sharply, with as must force as she could muster!
OOC,Poker (35%) - 0 Damage (if required) - 1

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:57 pm
by aine
Isolde ducks back inside the room, pale and wide-eyed from the shock of seeing the guns.
“My word, what has got into everybody?!” She exclaims to Melody. “Even Vic is brandishing her poker like a man!” She kneels down by Crozier, “Is there anything we can do to wake him?”

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:32 pm
by HoneyDog
“Oh for crying out loud!” says Melody crossly. “We was drugged! You don’t just wake someone up like they been 'aving a nap! Why can’t any of you understand that?”

Meanwhile in the corridor, Harry seizes the man’s arm. He tries to counter by knocking Harry away with the butt of his revolver, but Harry gets a grip on that wrist and twists, causing him to let go of the gun. It is snatched up by Rolf, who points it at his head.

Although Vic misses with her swinging poker, Joseph is sent spinning by Alexander’s punch, dropping the shotgun as he crashes to the floor. Greta is quick to pick it up, and levels it at him.

“Get da straitjackets” Greta says to Alexander and Vic. She jerks her head back in the direction of the receiving room.

“You’re done for now, Greta snarls the dark-haired man. “The Doc is gonna see to you both.”

“No talk!” says Greta menacingly. As Joseph sits up groaning, she kicks him viciously in the stomach, and he doubles over in pain. Rolf says something to her in German, clearly an admonishment, but her action has the desired effect, and the man shuts up.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:21 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry is acutely aware that the firearms are both in possession of the Germans and he's still not sure he trusts them. He pulls the cosh out of his coat, ready to knockout anyone who tries anything stupid. 'We don't want to hurt anyone' he says, looking pointedly at Greta, 'But I won't hesitate to use this if I have to' and he slaps it into his palm looking menacingly at the two disarmed orderlies.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander hurries to fetch the straitjackets.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:27 am
by Philulhu
Vic hurries after Alexander. ”What on earth is going on?!’’ she said. She grabbed the straightjacket then paused, turning back to check on the others before they left the room again.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I was hoping you'd have a better idea, as you understand the language," says Alexander. "I don't know any German; it's all Greek to me."

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:33 am
by Philulhu
”It seems that Greta and Rolf were put up to this by Dr Vandorf, but they’re now having second thoughts,” replied Vic. “They don’t want to get in trouble with the police. The other two, don’t seem to have any such qualms, but hopefully they’re not going to be any trouble now.”

“By the sounds of it, our Dr Blessing was also a patient. Beyond that, I’m not sure what’s going on!”

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:01 am
by HoneyDog
Melody decides to wait with Crozier.

Covering the shotgun two men with the shotgun, Greta instructs Rolf, who puts his gun in his pocket and begins fitting them with the strait-jackets. Joseph is still dazed, but the other man glares evilly at the party, muttering threats and curses.

When done, Greta looks around. Opposite is a door with a glass panel. She unlocks it and motions the men in.

“You stay there. We let you out later” she tells them.

Locking the door, she motions to the others.

“Come, we go see Doctor now.”

Greta leads the way up the stairs. At the top, she looks around. There are various doorways, but she crosses to a large room on the right, and opens it. A voice, speaking in German, can be heard inside, and it rises in anger as the party enters.

The room is a bedroom, neatly furnished with a bed, nightstand, dresser, and desk, seated at which in a wheelchair is a small wizened man, bald, with pince-nez glasses, and a narrow face. His age is difficult to determine, but his blue eyes gleam with intelligence. He faces the party across his desk, which is covered with notes and papers.

Addressing Greta in German, he has an edge to his voice. His accent is like Greta and Rolf's, but sounds more refined. Greta looks somewhat shame-faced, and her chin droops. She lowers the shotgun to her side.
OOC,Vic can roll German, but back at her normal score +10.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:51 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,German (41% + 10%) - 0

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:51 pm
by HoneyDog
Doctor Vandorff keeps on speaking, murmuring gently to Greta. His ruse pays off – she has dropped her guard, and his hand snaps up, holding a revolver.

However, due to the stress of the moment, or his infirm condition, the shot goes high and wild. Greta instinctively brings her shotgun up, but having no time to aim, she only succeeds in blowing a chunk of plaster out of the wall.

While Rolf reaches into his pocket for his newly acquired handgun, Vandorff fires again. This time his aim is better. Greta cries out in pain as the bullet rips into her shoulder, and she crashes to the floor.

Rolf roars in anguish, his target temporarily forgotten.
OOC,How do the investigators react? Bear in mind, none of you are close enough to Vandorff to be able to attack him. Once you tell me your reactions, he will launch his next attack.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Could Harry try and overturn the desk onto Vandorff? I'm not sure of the distance and how big/heavy it is

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:47 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Is it a double-barrelled shotgun? By my reckoning, it’s only been fired once and Vic’s shotgun skill is higher than any of her other fighting skills.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:14 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,You're not close enough to Vandorff. Trying to overturn his desk, even if you could manage it, would put you directly in front of him, and he's not likely to miss at that range. There is one shell left in the shotgun, Vic's action could be to reach for it if she wishes. It will be point-blank at this range.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I was going to go for the shotgun too. Shotgun is my only combat skill with points in it, and mine is very high.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:31 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,As there is no time to negotiate, we'll assume that both Vic and Alexander go for the shotgun. A winning Dex roll will determine who gets it first. A fumble means that they crash into each other. We'll just wait for Harry and Isolde to choose their actions.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander is a little slow to react when he grabs for the shotgun.
OOC,DEX x 5 roll (50% stat) going for the shotgun: 0

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:45 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,It's okay - whoever gets the lowest Dex score gets the gun first. I suggest that they both dive low when going for it!

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:02 pm
by Philulhu
Vic dived for the shotgun, startled when Alexander tried to do exactly the same thing at the same time!
OOC,DEX x 5 (50) - 0

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
Too far away to reach Vandorff and aware of the imminent danger of him shooting someone else, Harry feels the substantial weight of the cosh in his hand and desperately pitches it at the Doctor hoping to hit him and distract him, or at least to disrupt his aim.
Harry Throw 25%,0
Keeper,I know it is half damage bonus, do I roll the weapon's damage? I'll do that for now anyway - Cosh 1d8 1, half DB of 1d4 2

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:54 pm
by HoneyDog
As Vic and Alexander dive after the fallen shotgun, Harry’s hurled cosh strikes Vandorff in the chest with a loud thump. He cries out in pain, dropping the revolver on his desk and doubling over.

Meanwhile, Rolf has rushed to Greta’s side, where she lays unconscious, blood streaming from her shoulder.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:00 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry grabs for the revolver, covering Vandorff before he can do anything else.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:40 pm
by aine
Isolde has thrown herself flat on the floor and attempts to crawl to Greta in case she needs immediate first aid.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:44 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry I edited the above posts. From the floor, grabbing for a gun, Vic wouldn't have been able to see what was happening at the desk, or where the revolver went. Harry can move, as he has the initiative.
Vic and Alexander get to their feet, Alexander holding the shotgun. As Harry holds Vandorff at gunpoint, Rolf is trying to stem the blood flowing from Greta's wound. He grabs a bunch of keys from his pocket and gesticulates towards the wall, holding them out.

"Get Doctor!" he shouts desperately. "In his room!"

Vandorff straitens up. Rubbing his chest, he regards Harry balefully.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander keeps the shotgun trained on Vandorff as well. "Don't try anything," he says. "I'm a crack shot, and I can't miss at this range."

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:02 pm
by aine
Isolde does the old petticoat thing and makes a wad to try to stem the bleeding on Greta’s shoulder.
First Aid,30 0

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:30 pm
by Mephistophilis
Keeping the revolver trained on Vandorff, Harry asks, 'Miss Miller, could you take the keys and open that door? How's Greta?'

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:46 am
by Philulhu
Vic grabbed the keys and ran to release Dr Blessing.
OOC,Not sure where Vic is running to? Rolf is pointing at the wall?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:19 am
by Mephistophilis
Vic,I presumed Rolf meant Blessing is next door (i.e through the wall)

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:22 am
by HoneyDog
Outside in the corridor, Vic can see a number of rooms.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:02 pm
by Philulhu
Keeping an eye out for any unexpected interlopers, Vic checked the door to the next room. Very slowly, she turned the handle and when it reached the full extent of its rotation, pushed gently to see if it was locked.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:05 pm
by aine
Isolde answers Harry, “Greta”s not too good; I hope Vic can find Dr. Blessing quickly.” But she keeps the pad on the wound.
“Do you have more bandages?” She asks Rolf.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:33 am
by HoneyDog
The door opens slowly, and Vic finds herself in a bathroom, with a tub and water closet.

Deciding that bolder action is needed, she calls out Blessing’s name, and is answered with a shout from the next room.

The door is locked, but Vic eventually finds a master key on the bunch given to her by Rolf. Inside the modest room, a wild-eyed Blessing begins to question her, but on hearing that Greta is in dire need of assistance, he grabs his doctor’s bag and hurries with Vic back to Vandorff’s room.

Seeing Greta, Blessing instantly begins treatment. He cleans and administers to the wound, stopping the bleeding.

“She’s lucky, the bullet passed through” he says, “but she is very weak, and will need a lot of rest. I've given her something for the pain. Rolf, help me get her onto the bed.”

He picks up Greta’s feet, and Rolf takes her under the arms. Together, they lift her onto the bed, where she groans fitfully. Rolf sits beside her, his face a mask of concern.

Throughout these proceedings, Vandorff watches from his chair, his face impassive.

Once Greta is seen to, Blessing turns on him.

“Where is Miss Bayldon?” he demands. “What have you done with her, you monster?”

“She is in her room” says Vandorff, in accented English. "She has not been harmed."

“It was his doing” snarls Blessing, pointing at Vandorff. “What happened to Joan, he is the one who caused it!”

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"What did you do to her?" Alexander demands of Vandorff.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:09 am
by HoneyDog
Vandorff says nothing at first, but then reconsiders.

“I have no idea who you are. But I’m sure you would not understand” he says bluntly.

“I offered to hypnotise Miss Bayldon says Blessing. “The next thing I know, Jack Rutherford is pointing a gun at my head, and I’m locked up in my room.”

He suddenly turns to Rolf.

“Where are Rutherford and Niewicki?” he asks.

“We locked zem in office” comes the reply.

“And Miss Thurlson, and Mrs Morley?”

Rolf thinks.

Agnes went for shopping. Ewa not here yet.”

“Right” Blessing thinks. He crosses to the desk, and picks up pen and paper.“I will write a note to Miss Thurlson, asking her to stay away today, and go to Mrs Morley’s. Rolf, leave it at the gate. Then get Rutherford and Niewicki, and put them in one of the empty cells. If Doctor Vandorff here won’t cooperate, we’ll put him there too. We should try to keep this contained, until I can help Joan. That is…”

He looks around at the companions, their presence suddenly dawning on him.

“I’m very sorry for all of the trouble you’ve been put through” he says. “I hope you haven’t come to any injury. Where is the rest of your party?”

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"The others are the waiting room," says Alexander. "They drank the tea, which was drugged."

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:33 am
by HoneyDog
“Drugged?” echoes Blessing, his mouth agape. He casts a hateful glare at Vandorff.

“You’ll pay for all of this, Vandorff he tells him. “We have no choice – we must inform the authorities.”

“But what about your sweetheart?” Vandorff sneers. As the colour rises in Blessing’s cheeks, he continues.

“Yes, I’ve seen the way you look at her. They are still searching for… what was the nickname? Ah yes, ‘Jill the Ripper’. They will hang her, for sure. Will you hang alongside her, as an accessory?”

He laughs cruelly.

Blessing clenches his fists in rage, but he is lost for words.

Rolf approaches the desk, his face dark. He addresses Vandorff in German.
Vic,Vic can double her German score on this and any future conversations between the two.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:50 am
by Philulhu
OOC,German (2 x 41%) - 0 Edit: You couldn’t make it up... :evil:
Vic shook her head. “Do you know what they are saying, Dr Blessing?” she asked.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:15 am
by HoneyDog
“No, but I suspect that Mansche has something to day about Vandorff almost killing his wife. Perhaps we should remove the Doctor to one of the cells for now. For his own safety.”

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:22 pm
by aine
“I can stay with Greta if you wish, while you put those two men in a cell.” Isolde says to Rolf, “I admit I’ll be happier knowing they aren’t prowling around. And then, Dr Blessing, I think....” She stops and looks at Vandorff, “I think we might continue this conversation with you alone.”

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Dr Blessing, will you tell us what is going on here. Why is Dr Vandorff trying to harm us?' asks Harry, gesturing to the older doctor with the revolver.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right, let's lock Vandorff in a cell and then decide what to do," says Alexander.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:26 am
by HoneyDog
Rolf nods at Isolde.

“I’ve no idea why” says Blessing. “We have to see what Miss Bayldon has to say about it. Rolf, help me with the Doctor.”

The two men, Rolf with the gun in his hand while Blessing pushes the chair, take the sullen Vandorff from the room.
OOC,You can use this opportunity to talk if there is anything you want to keep among yourselves.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:22 pm
by Philulhu
”We’d do well to keep an eye on Rolf,” said Vic quietly. “As long as he has the pistol, I won’t be happy!”

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Why, what did he say in German?" whispers Alexander.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:09 am
by Philulhu
Vic flushed. ”To be honest,” she said. “I struggled to follow the conversation between them. My German is a bit rusty.’

“I don’t necessarily think he’s a threat per se, but he has got the pistol and we haven’t.”

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:56 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Look at the previous posts – you were diving for a shotgun just a short while ago! Both Harry and Alexander are armed now.
A short while later Blessing returns to the room. This time, Joan Bayldon is with him, looking confused but otherwise unharmed.

Miss Bayldon is unhurt” says Blessing. “She says that Dr. Vandorff had questioned her, but erm…” he trails off.

“Yes, I’m still Annie says Joan. “But I was in Joan’s room. It felt… familiar.”

Blessing gently guides her to a seat, while she looks curiously at the unconscious Greta on the bed.

“I want to start the hypnosis treatment as soon as possible, to find out what's going on” he says, "but I do need to see to our inmates. I’m sure they must be hungry – they haven’t had their lunches. Neither have I, for that matter. I believe that food was already prepared. Perhaps you could eat with us?” he asks the companions.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:19 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Vic’s point is that we have someone whose motives and allegiances we’re not 100% sure about has a pistol. Having a shotgun is fine, but not much use if someone who you trusted shoots you in the back.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:14 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry, just responding to what was written in the post. Harry has the revolver that Vandorff was shooting the place up with a few moments ago, and Alexander has the shotgun.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:52 pm
by Philulhu
”But, erm...?” repeated Vic to Dr Blessing. She looked between the doctor and Miss Bayldon. ”What did Vandorff want to know?”

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:37 pm
by Mephistophilis
'You'll understand if I turn down the offer, under the circumstances' Harry says to Blessing. He's not getting caught with the same trick twice, he thinks, he can eat later when he knows what's going on.

'Can you ask Miss Bayldon what the significance is of those strange designs found on the bodies?'

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, how do we know Vandorff didn't drug the food too?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:34 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing holds up his hands.

“I’m sure that it’s natural for you to be suspicious. But I can think of no possible reason why the food would be drugged, unless Dr. Vandorff was planning to drug everyone in the asylum, including the stuff. As for your questions, they must wait until we’ve eaten I’m afraid. As you might be able to see, Miss Bayldon is somewhat malnourished after her time in the streets.”

“He wanted to know about my dreams” Joan says suddenly. She looks pale and tired. “Nightmares, actually. About the dog-thing. It flies through angles.”

Blessing pats her arm.

“Please, Joan. Eat first, then we can talk.”

Blessing checks on Greta, who is still asleep, then leads Joan out of the room.

“I’ll serve the food in the dining room downstairs. Rolf is looking after the inmates, then I suppose he’ll come back here.”

They leave the room.

Blessing serves lunch, a nutritious soup with lots of bread and butter, and more tea. The dining room is little used; the chandelier over the long dining table is dusty. Paintings of previous directors of Malbray glare down from the walls.

The diners are joined by Melody, whose hunger gets the better of her caution. Joan begins to look a little better as colour returns to her cheeks. Towards the end of the meal, a groggy Cpt. Crozier appears, attracted by the smell of the food. While he eats, he is filled in on events.

After the food is finished and the dishes cleared away, Blessing begins to prepare for the hypnosis session. Joan waits quietly.
OOC,I want to bring Snapper back into the game before we start to find out what’s been going on, so now that lunch is finished, you can ask some more questions.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander decides to take his chances with eating the food as well. "Why did Vandorff do what he did?" he asks.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:06 am
by HoneyDog
"As I already said, I have no idea" says Blessing apologetically. "Miss Bayldon should be able to shed some light on the matter."

He places a chair in front of Joan, and sits facing her.

"Now, ahh... Annie, this won't hurt a bit. I'm just going to show you something."

Blessing removes his pocket watch and dangles it in front her. Going to work, he has soon put her into a trance.

"Who am I speaking to?" he asks.

"Annie Bayldon. They call me Crazy Annie."

"And why do they call you Crazy Annie?"

"Cos I hurt that fella. 'E tried to mess with me, so I cut 'im."

Blessing turns around to the companions.

"Annie was Joan's mother. She had a history of violent behaviour and was sent to Malbray after an attempted murder. Joan was actually born here. But how and why did she adopt her mother's persona?"

He turns back to Joan.

"Is Joan there too?"

Joan speaks again, in a less confident voice this time.

"Yes, I'm here."

Blessing gasps in triumph.

"Now we can question her!"
OOC,Blessing Psychoanalysis 20: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/874238]Pyschoanalysis[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]9[/b]

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"What did Dr. Vandorff do to you?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:12 am
by HoneyDog
Joan is silent for a time.

“I… I was having headaches. He gave me something he said would help me – an injection. I… began to see. I saw my mother! She was a patient here. I had had no idea! I saw myself being born!”

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:48 am
by Philulhu
Vic watched proceedings, fascinated that someone could think they were more than one person. It reminded her of the book she had read the year before - Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde...

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:12 pm
by HoneyDog
Joan shivers, then continues.

“It ended, but, I don’t know, somehow it happened again. Again, I remember him injecting me. And I went back even further. The people were dressed so strange, and after a while I couldn’t understand them.”

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:28 pm
by Philulhu
”In what way were they dressed strangely?” Vic asked Joan. “Can you describe their clothes?”

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:32 pm
by HoneyDog
“So simple, really crudely made. And eventually, they weren’t even like clothes, more like skins and such.”

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:38 pm
by Philulhu
Vic glanced at the others. That sounded like pre-historic times. That couldn’t be possible, could it? That one person could be linked in that way to people who came before them?

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:17 pm
by aine
Isolde sits quietly (she filled Crozier in with what had happened while they ate.) but then has a thought.
“I wonder what the doctor injected to cause such a reaction?” She whispers.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:43 pm
by Mephistophilis
'What were those drawings on the victims?' asks Harry. Keen to find out her motives for the murders.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:21 am
by HoneyDog
“The symbols? I… I left them for the dog-thing. It can only move through angles, not curves.”

Joan is becoming more agitated.

“I can’t hold it for long though! I know it’s coming for me!”

Her voice is shrill and she is clearly beginning to panic. Blessing quickly brings her out of the trance. Once awake, she is calm again, though she looks tired.

“Come now” says Blessing gently. “You should rest. I’ll take you to your room, and we can try again later.”

Taking her arm, he nods to the companions and they leave the room.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:31 am
by Philulhu
”She looked terrified!” said Vic quietly, once she judged Joan and Dr. Blessing we’re out of earshot.

“What do you think she meant by a dog-thing?” she asked.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ancestral memory?" says Alexander. "I didn't know it was possible, but there's a lot we don't know about how the brain works."
OOC,I had wanted to make a reference to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde earlier, so I looked up when it was published, and I believe it was 1886, which is still five years away.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:24 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain seems to be having a hard time gathering his wits, or shaking off the lingering after-effects of the drug. He keeps forgetting why the party are there, looking around happily but rather groggily, and asking, "Did we win?"

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:35 am
by Philulhu
OOC,The perils of playing in multiple games in multiple time periods. It’s easy to forget which one you’re in... I even checked when it was published... :roll:

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:01 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry is clearly confused by the whole affair, this isn't the sort of spiritualism he thought he was seeking. It's all a bit beyond me but d'you reckon Vandorff could tell us more? Maybe he has some books or something on it?'

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I saw some of those of those books in the waiting room," says Alexander. "They're probably in German."
OOC,I play in so many games, and I've gotten mixed up between this one and the Pulp Cthulhu game. In this one I play a character named [b]Alexander[/b] and Mephistophilis plays a character named [b]Harry[/b]. In the other one, it's the other way around. I've mistakenly posted as "[b]Harry[/b]" in this one.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:10 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing returns.

Miss Bayldon is sleeping now. She’s quite exhausted.”

He looks confused.

“I’m confident I should be able to restore her personality over time. Though I cannot make sense of her claims while under the influence of that drug she spoke of. Vandorff of course knows more, but getting him to talk could be difficult. Knowing him though, he has probably made records, which would be in his laboratory. He’s very private about it, and rarely admits anyone.”

Blessing clears his throat.

“Before that though, I must thank all of you again, and ask as to what you plan to do. I want to inform the authorities – obviously I cannot keep Vandorff and his thugs confined forever – but I want proof of his misdeeds first. I’m sure that you can see that although Miss Bayldon has committed awful crimes, it was because of the experiment that Vandorff was conducting on her, and she cannot be held responsible.”

He looks around at the investigators, hoping for their agreement.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, she was clearly not herself," says Alexander. "We are happy to help, and once Miss Bayldon can be cleansed of that drug, hopefully she will be back to normal. The murders are now stopped as well. Let us look for Vandorff's notes then. If they are in German, one of us knows it."

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain gingerly scratches his ear and his hands comes away with dried blood. "I say, did I get my head in front of the ball? The old ear seems a bit of a mess. It wouldn't be the first time..."
OOC,Hey, I'm currently playing Crozier, Crowley, and Conroy. I named them all and I actually didn't mean to do that!! Old age and exposure to avgas has cooked my brain.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:23 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing looks worried for a moment.

“Actually, I wouldn’t be too sure about that” he says to Alexander. “Until Miss Bayldon is herself again, there’s no guarantee that her compunction to kill has faded. The ‘dog-thing’ that concerns her so is still in her thoughts. We can treat her further this evening, but it’s probably best if we lock her door tonight.”

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:32 am
by Philulhu
”Do you want to make a start on Vandorff’s journals?” asked Vic. “My German is rusty but I’m willing to give it a try.”

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:38 am
by Mephistophilis
Looking uncomfortable, Harry mutters to himself before saying, 'I suppose a very short delay in going to the police will not cause any harm. Sergeant Craig knows we have been investigating the asylum but not found anything concrete, perhaps if we tell him we were looking for incriminating evidence until we were drugged and then managed to escape, which is all true, that would account for the delay in informing the authorities.' He pauses, 'And we don't know for sure Miss Bayldon was the murderer, given the strength required, if they stop this might be the evidence we need to prove it.'

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:44 pm
by HoneyDog
Blessing nods. “I hope we will find our answers soon.”

As the Doctor leads the group back upstairs, he says,

“I’m afraid I must impose on you all further. As you can imagine, we are now very short-staffed, and I will need help in caring for my charges. They will need their evening meal, and I will have to administer medicines to some. I would be most grateful for your assistance.”

The party reaches the second floor, this time heading to a room opposite Dr. Vandorff’s bedroom, directly under the tower. Blessing unlocks the door with a key he took from Vandorff, and they enter.

It is large and well-illuminated by the large windows. Two large workbenches crowd the center of the room, each littered and stacked with beakers, candles, test-tube racks, retorts, scales, flasks, crucibles, and intricate networks of glass, rubber, and copper tubing.

In the south wall is a door, next to which is a fireplace with pokers and firewood alongside.

On the north wall are several shelves holding many old books and hundreds of sealed jars and vials of every size; most seem to be labeled, and a cursory glance shows that they are mostly substances such as chemicals, acids, compounds, and drugs.

The books are mostly in Latin and German. Almost all are large, old and fragile. Among the titles are the Mesnard edition of Hermes Trismegistus, the Turba Philosophurum, Alchimia Vera, Salomon Trismosin’s Splendor Solis, Roger Bacon’s Thesaurus Chemicus, De Lapide Philisphico by Johannes Trithemius, Raymond Lully’s Ars Magna et Ultima, Cabala Mineralis, Tractatus Aureus, Artephius’ Key of Wisdom, Robert Fludd’s Clavis Alchimiae, Ludvig Prinn’s The Mysteries of the Worm, and Geber’s Liber Investigationis. The are also other books by or about Roger Bacon, Philippus Aureolus Paracelsus, Albertus Magnus, Johann Glauber, Zosimus, and Jabir ibn-Hayyan.

Near the shelves is a small cabinet.
OOC,Looking at the books, you can make an Occult roll and a Cthulhu Mythos roll.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
Looking blankly at the various books and instruments Harry says 'I think I might be most use helping out as an orderly.'
Occult 5%,0

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:14 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Having zero Cthulhu Mythos, Vic will opt for Occult (05%) - 0
Vic is used to Lord Armstrong’s well-ordered library at Cragside. The plethora of titles and jumble of languages leaves her aghast. ”Where would one even start?!” she murmurs.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:27 pm
by aine
Isolde is about to offer her help with the inmates, after all, how different can they be from unruly children. But then she sees the books and is drawn to the wonderful and mysterious titles,
Occult,48 0

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:17 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:
Occult 5%,0
The Captain wanders along amiably with the party but is still trying to gather his wits.

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"While physics is my speciality," says Alexander, "I also know quite a bit about chemistry. These books look more like they're about alchemy to me, though,"
OOC,Occult roll (5% base skill) about the books: 0

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:13 pm
by HoneyDog
Isolde,The books are indeed about alchemy, and are likely very rare and expensive. Isolde has heard that the Hermes Trismegistus is particularly held in esteem for its rumoured mysteries.

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:23 pm
by aine
“I think you are right, Alexander.” Isolde says as she looks carefully along the books. “Look! Hermes Trismegistis this book is incredibly rare and valuable; what a collection! I’ve read about some of these but never seen them before. This one is about the mysteries of alchemy; Very occult and not really science at all; how strange a collection for a doctor to have.”

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:35 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"Why on earth do I feel like I've taken a punch to the gut?" Crozier pats his stomach gingerly. "This is starting to remind me of Hong Kong in '71. Except on that visit, I also wound up with a tattoo I couldn't explain." He starts checking his hands and wrists for recent, surprise tattoos.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:27 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing crosses to the small cabinet near the shelves. Finding it locked, he fiddles about with Vandorff’s keys until he finds the one he needs. He opens it, and brings out two hypodermic needles, and eight vials of clear liquid. Two are marked ‘morphine’, but the other six are marked differently:

“30”
“400-500”
“1500”
“100000+?”
“millions? prehuman”
“the beginning?”

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:38 am
by Philulhu
Vic looked from the needles to Dr Blessing. ”Those labels,” she said. “They suggest that those injections will send someone back through time! That’s impossible!”
OOC,In years to come, Vic will read a book by a Mr Wells who posits that a machine will enable a man to shift temporally. But she hasn’t read the book [u]yet[/u], she won’t be making that mistake again... ;)

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:00 am
by HoneyDog
"I know it's fantastic, but It would begin to explain though what Miss Bayldon has been saying" says Blessing, looking closely at the vials. "She's under hypnosis, so she cannot be lying."

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not literal travel through time," says Alexander, "though that is an intriguing thought. Rather I think this drug allows someone to access ancestral memories back approximately how many years are on the labels. The 30 must be what caused Miss Bayldon to experience her mother's memories. I wouldn't want to experiment with using these, but it may help to analyse them. If we can find out how the drug is made, we can learn how to counteract it."

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:20 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain slowly gathers his battered wits, while rubbing his bruised stomach.

"Ancestral memories? Do such exist? How astounding, I have never heard such a thing. I should not wish to recall my mother giving birth to me, nor for that matter ... Ah..." His voice trails off, thoughts unspoken, but the Captain blushes.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:12 pm
by Philulhu
Vic rolled her eyes. ”Childbirth is a natural thing, Captain Crozier,” she said. “Or so I’m told, anyway.” She blushed slightly too.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:16 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Has Doctor Vandorff recorded what doses he has given Miss Bayldon?' asks Harry. 'I don't think I even know what 'the beginning' would mean, God's creation of the universe?'

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:10 am
by Philulhu
”Well, that might be a matter of debate, Mr Brown,” said Vic, carefully. Miss Bayldon’s description of people dressed in skins and speaking unintelligibly, coupled with the description on the vials suggests a pre-historic era that may be at odds with teachings of the Bible...”

“Nevertheless, whenever it was, it was certainly a long time ago. I wonder what Dr Vandorff hoped to achieve in his experiments with her?”

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"The last three of these have question marks," says Alexander, "so that's only Vandorff's hypothesis about how far back the memories go. Obviously there would be no way to measure the time, and Vandorff is also unreliable to say the least. He is more suited to be an inmate here than a doctor."

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:14 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain looks distinctly uncomfortable. He says to Vic, "It's not the memory of my birth that worries me most..."

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:05 am
by HoneyDog
“Where does this door go?” asks Melody, pointing to the door next to the fireplace. She tries the knob – it is locked.

“Up into the tower, I would presume” says Blessing.

He crosses over, finds the appropriate key, and unlocks the door.

A narrow, dimly-lit staircase leads upwards. Blessing takes a candle and lights it, and proceeds upwards.

At the top of the stairs is a landing, adjacent to what looks like a cell with a tiny barred window. The door is padlocked. On the landing a small rickety table holds two bundles of paper.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:39 am
by Philulhu
Vic had followed Dr Blessing up the stairs. She looked cautiously through the cell window to see what lay beyond.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander also climbs the stairs and takes a closer look at the bundles of papers.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:11 pm
by aine
“I don’t think you need worry too much, Captain. I’m quite sure it would have been far too dark to see anything.” Isolde says cryptically as she too climbs the stairs and enters the top room, looking about her.

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:33 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain weaves up the stairs, still vaguely woozy and rather uncomfortable with his current train of thought. To Isolde he says, "Actually, I was thinking more of one of those horrid Greek tragedies we are made to study as midshipmen. Sophocles' work, 'Oedipus Rex.' May not be part of a respectable young lady's syllabus."

"Can't remember a single word of classic Greek neither."

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:55 pm
by HoneyDog
Blessing and Melody also join Vic at the cell window. Melody gasps and Blessing cries out, dropping the candle.
Vic,Roll SAN. If you fail, 1d4 SAN loss. Just roll for now, I'll fill in the details after.
OOC,All who look into the cell must roll SAN.

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander looks up from the papers and retrieves the candle. "What is it?" he asks, concerned.

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry shouts up the stairs, 'What's going on?'

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:57 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,SAN (70%) - 0 SAN loss (if required) - 1

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:22 pm
by aine
“I only taught French and our own good language.” Isolde hears the exclamation upstairs.
“Whatever have they found now?” She looks at Crozier and then hurries up the stairs.
“Are you alright? What happened?” She asks Alexander.

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry, I've nae idea," says Alexander. "They saw something alarming on the other side of the door, but I dinna ken what. It is rather crowded up here and hard to see past them."

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:19 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:
The slightly drugged Captain is content to let others do the running at this moment, particularly with a delicate stomach. He does not peer through anything but waits to hear what is going on.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:23 am
by HoneyDog
“There’s something in there” says Melody, her face pale. “I can’t describe it.”
Vic,The smell of excrement is very strong, and Vic can see what also looks like rat droppings. Rolling and flopping around the floor is what looks like a human form, but which is somehow becoming loose and rubberized. It’s mouth closes and opens spastically, and the unfocused eyes roll madly.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:28 am
by Philulhu
Vic gave a gasping yelp as she staggered away from the door. She retched, one hand on the wall to stop herself from falling. She retched again and thought she might be sick.

”There’s someone alive in there!” she coughed.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:44 am
by HoneyDog
“It is a person” says Blessing, looking sick. “But I’ve never seen any deformity like that before. It’s like he is becoming jellified.”

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do ye have the key?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:38 am
by HoneyDog
"I presume so" says Blessing. "Although I'd to try and find out more before I enter there."

He looks at the papers.

"Perhaps those are the notes we are looking for."

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:22 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

Alarmed, the Captain rushes to Vic's aid, offering a solicitous arm for her to hold if needed, and a clean, neatly folded, white handkerchief. "Miss Vic, shall I assist you back down the stairs?"

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah," says Alexander, resuming his inspection of the papers.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:53 am
by HoneyDog
“Let’s take them downstairs so that we can all see” says Blessing.

Once back in the laboratory, the companions try to recover from their discovery. It turns out that the first stack of papers is indeed about the unfortunate occupant of the cell.

Alexander comes to the relevant information:

‘Billy’s family have placed him here because they have finally grown tired of his frequent seizures. He is normal enough, but the Ashworths fear the seizures are affecting his mental development, and I would concur. He should be easily attended to, morphine seeming most efficacious.’

Billy Ashworth!” exclaims Blessing. “A lad of around eighteen. He was subject to quite violent seizures, and we feared that his condition was irreversible. Vandorff told me that he had had a fatal attack some months ago, occurring while I was away visiting family.”

He looks disgusted.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Vandorff has much to answer for," agrees Alexander. "I've no idea how he did what he did to the lad, but science should never be abused that way."

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:05 am
by HoneyDog
“There’s more” says Blessing.

‘September 21

Billy is the subject of my first experiment with the obscure drug Prinn calls Liao. After sedating him I injected the drug. Several minutes later he began to speak quickly despite the effects of the morphine, reeling off scenes of a farm, a woodland battle, a shipwreck, still more battles – an endless array of such scenes described so quickly I could not hope to keep up. He continued, describing ape-things and ancient mammals, then great thundering lizards, even snakes that spoke. I allowed him to continue, faster and faster, muttering of great fish and tentacle creatures dozens of feet long. I now applied restraints lest he fall out of the chair and break the trance. Now he described steaming fens, the perfect water, and the first tiniest inklings of life. I had no idea the boy knew so much of the theories of prehistory.

Then his body went even more slack, his mouth gaped open, drooling, his eyes still awide. Fearing something had gone wrong, I administered a minor stimulant and sought to break the trance – to no avail. For the last hour he has occasionally mumbled a word I can only transcribe as UVOSAVLA. He is otherwise unresponsive. I will keep him in the attic cell until he recovers. I must consult Prinn to see what I have done wrong…’

OOC,Everyone gets +1 Cthulhu Mythos.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:22 am
by Philulhu
Vandorff speaks of doing wrong,” said Vic weakly, “But he is only considering the results of his experiment... He isn’t concerned for the fate of that poor... creature... in there...” She shook her head, assailed by the mental image of what she had seen.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:31 pm
by HoneyDog
Blessing turns the page. His hand is shaking.

‘September 23:

Something has indeed gone awry with the experiment on Billy. He becomes steadily worse. Some sort of physiological change is overtaking him: his bones have softened so that one of his arms slipped out of the straitjacket, yet remained unbroken. He is no longer aware of his surroundings, only slobbering that word UVOSAVLA at intervals. His muscles appear to be deteriorating as well. He is becoming a mere sack of flesh.’

This set of notes ends here.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:08 pm
by aine
Isolde puts her hand to her mouth and sits down weakly. “How could he? What a monster! A man in such a position of responsibility to... oh! It is beyond belief. Are we sure these are Doctor Vandorff’s notes; not someone else’s?” She has a thought and rises to the bookshelf. “Prinn, Prinns, you have a lot to answer for. “ she scans the shelves looking for the author.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:59 pm
by Philulhu
”What do you think ‘UVOSAVLA’ means?” asked Vic. “I’ve never heard anything like it before.”

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Nor I," says Alexander, "but I did see a book by Prinn on the shelves: The Mysteries of the Worm. Not that we need a book to understand what Vandorrf did wrong."
OOC,Cthulhu Mythos roll (1% skill) about UVOSAVLA: 0

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:20 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

Crozier is transitioning from mildly drugged to mother of hangovers. He finds something to sit on.

"Snakes that spoke?"

"Chattering snakes aside, I'm wondering how the police will react to this. Obviously, drugging us was criminal but the doctor may be able to explain that away."

"For everything else, he may be able to argue that he was simply looking for a cure. These are experiments that went wrong but all from noble cause. Even the nurse. It had been my understanding that different treatments are trialled in lunatic asylums across this country. Dr Blessing, correct me if I'm wrong."

"The police might decide he is in the right and we the wrong."

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:28 pm
by Mephistophilis
'If this poor wretch was the first' says Harry, relieved he wasn't able to get a look, given the description, 'Are there others?'
Cthulhu Mythos 1%,Got to give it a spin, 0

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:36 pm
by Philulhu
”You didn’t see what was behind that door, Captain Crozier!” snapped Vic tartly. “He’d do very well to argue that that poor soul in there was a price worth paying for any sort of medical advancement!”

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:37 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander finds the Prinn book on the shelf, but it is written in German, and will need translating.

Blessing shakes his head at Crozier’s theory.

“I do not know the intricacies of the law, but such an experiment would certainly see Dr. Vandorff struck off as a practising doctor.”

He picks up the other bundle of papers.

“I would wager that the doctor has past experience with unethical treatments. Perhaps that is the real reason he left Austria, and keeps the company of such unsavoury characters as you have met.”

He spreads the papers on the worktable.

“These are about Miss Bayldon.”

‘October 2:

I have discovered my mistake in the administration of the Liao on Billy: too large and too concentrated a dose. I have decided to use a subject of stable mental bearing, in case Billy’s condition had additional effects on the experiment.’

“There, Captain Blessing says. “Proof that the experiments were not done as a treatment. This should be enough for the police.”

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then we should summon them forthwith," says Alexander.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:54 am
by HoneyDog
“Wait” says Blessing. “We need to read more.”

‘I have begun using smaller doses on Joan. Today I administered the first dose after hypnotizing her and wiping all memory of these treatments from her mind. I was fortunate to have done so, for today her visions revealed to her not only her childhood here at Malbray, but also her mad mother’s vicious streak, and Crazy Annie’s less-than-voluntary stay here. Since Joan knows nothing of her mother’s identity, these visions have confirmed my belief in Prinn’s Liao: it is genuine!’…

Blessing’s face is a mixture of emotions.

“That vile man!” he says coldly. “But this proves that Joan was not of sound mind, her actions are the direct result of Vandorff’s cruel experiments! Surely the police and courts will see that.”

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:08 pm
by Philulhu
Vic picked herself up and went over to look at the Prinn book, to see if she could make any sense of it.
OOC,German (41%) - 0 Edit: Merde!

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:30 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain nods (then winces because he nodded). "Yes, you are right of course. I hadn't realised he experimented on Miss Bayldon when she was of sound mind. Whatever the law might think of experimenting on those locked away in here, there can be no excuse for that."

"Is there a cure for what has been done to Miss Bayldon, do you suppose? Should that be our priority or summoning the constabulary?"

"I do think explaining this to the police will itself be a challenge to our soundness of mind."

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:39 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry, I made an error - the book is an English printing. But being a Mythos tome it will take several hours to read, and there will be a SAN penalty. It will take a successful English roll and the rest of the day to read.
Blessing nods.

“I will try to restore her true personality, but first we must get to the bottom of what happened.”

He turns the page.

“There’s more.”

‘October 4:

I have doubled the concentration for today’s session. She spoke of her mother again, but briefly, as she was quickly a nurse during the Napoleonic Wars, then an Irish lass, a Welsh shepherdess, a medieval lady’s handmaid. The hypnotism has worked thus far, as she remembers nothing of these sessions…’

Three more passages can be found, dated October 6, 9, and 14, all recounting results similar to the above. Joan’s visions are more controlled than Billy’s, and Vandorff shows his evident delight.

'October 16:

I have sent her back too far, though thankfully not with the same results as Billy. This time she described for me her transformation into creatures made of single cells. Then she began shrieking, and though I immediately administered a sedative, her delirium persisted. I managed to calm her down and wipe all memory of the session through hypnotism, but nevertheless I must be watchful of her for awhile. She should not remember this experiment, I think. I wish to hell I knew what it was she saw there at the end…’

This is the end of Vandorff's notes.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:11 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,If the books were in German, it made sense for Vic to try to read them. If they’re in English, I’m not sure if someone else wouldn’t take a lead?

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 pm
by aine
“It’s no wonder Joan became hysterical if her memories went back to being some sort of Darwinian slime. Gosh, if so then his theories would be correct! And What did she see at the dawn of life as it were? No simple soul could bear that revelation!” Isolde paces up and down, impassioned by the recent events.
“May I look at the book, Vic? I couldn’t pass up this opportunity to view such a rare tome.” She hefts the book. “I might be some time.”
English,80 0

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:16 am
by Philulhu
Vic handed over the book. It was a weighty tone and she was sure Isolde would make more sense of it then herself.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:46 am
by HoneyDog
“Is it not obvious what she saw?” asks Blessing. “This dog-thing that she spoke about, that still terrifies her so. The thing that she says is following her.”

He stands up.

“I will conduct another session with her this evening, and try to find out more. In the meantime, I must attend to Greta and the patients. Would anyone be willing to help prepare and serve the evening meal?”
OOC,Please let me know your plans. I’m guessing that everyone will help Blessing out in some way and get the chores done as quickly as possible. After the patients are seen to, the companions can have their dinner. Blessing will hypnotise Joan. Anyone can read the book, providing they make a successful English roll. It is about 3pm now – it will take most of the night and the entire next morning to read. If what is discovered within the book is to be studied further, it will require more time.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm a terrible cook," says Alexander, "but I've always enjoyed Melody's cooking. I'm sure there's something else I can do, though. After that, I'd like to try to analyse that 'liao' drug and find out what's in it. As for Darwin, I've never put much stock in his theories. A load of hogwash if you ask me. Keep in mind that the only evidence these notes provide of that are the ravings of a mad doctor and his unreliable descriptions of a young woman's drug-induced hallucinations. Hardly scientific, and science requires being able to repeat the results - which nobody should do, for reasons of morality. And whatever poor Billy has become, I doubt it's anything Darwin imagined even in his most bizarre dreams."

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:25 am
by HoneyDog
Melody agrees to help cook.

Blessing points to the notes.

"Vandorff indicates that the Liao drug is Prinn's creation, so it's recipe is probably contained in the book. I don't think an analysis is needed."
OOC,Perhaps Alexander can assist Isolde in reading the book?

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then I shall help study the book," says Alexander.
OOC,Own Language: English roll (90% base skill) reading the book: 0

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:39 am
by Philulhu
”Come along, Captain Crozier,” said Vic. “You and I can serve dinner.”

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:35 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain nods to Vic and raises an index finger to his forehead in salute. "Your servant, ma'am. I did my fair share of serving table as a cabin boy and midshipman. It's been a few decades, mind you, but I doubt the basics have changed."

The Captain pitches in with gusto to assist, and hopefully shake off the cobwebs of drug.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks the books over sceptically. 'I think I'd be better off assisting Rolf with the inmates.' He retrieves his cosh and tucks the revolver in his coat. Just in case.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:40 pm
by HoneyDog
As the companions help to see to the needs of the residents of Malbray, Alexander and Isolde begin on the Prinn book. It is soon plain to see that this volume is unlike anything they have seen before, and they find themselves slowly drawn into it.

The others assist Blessing and Rolf with the inmates. These are generally a pathetic, sorrowful lot, lost in their own delusions; while mostly harmless, some are downright hostile, but are gently handled by Rolf with the assistance of Harry. Harry is glad of his firearm when they bring food to the aggressive and hostile Rutherford and Niewicki, who have to be fed one at a time, and at gunpoint. Blessing insists on serving Dr. Vandorff, as Rolf is still enraged towards the would-be killer of his wife.

When the companions sit for dinner, Blessing brings out Joan Bayldon from her room. Joan is still under the illusion that she is Crazy Annie, and does not respond to conversation. She looks better than the morning, but still radiates anxiety.

After dinner, when Alexander and Isolde return to their dreadful book, the others wait while Blessing again puts Joan into a trance, and her true personality comes out. Blessing begins to question her.

“How many times did you travel back, Joan?” he asks.

“Six” comes the answer.

“Do you remember seeing your mother?”

“Yes.”

“And the nurse?”

“Yes.”

Blessing turns to the others.

“It seems consistent with Vandorff’s notes. We will have to probe deeper, and find out what exactly led to her committing the killings.”
Isolde & Alexander,Isolde and Alexander will be caught up in the book. Please be patient – after the others have questioned Joan I will fill you in on the contents. There will be very serious SAN rolls to make, as this is an infamous Mythos tome.
Crozier & Melody & Harry & Vic,Please ask Joan some questions if you like. If not, Blessing will take the lead, but I’d like you guys to work out how to solve the mystery!

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:43 pm
by Philulhu
Vic watched with a kind of horrified fascination. When the opportunity presented itself, she asked, ”Did Dr Vandorff ask any specific questions about what you had seen? Was he looking for anything in particular?”

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:46 pm
by HoneyDog
Joan is in the depths of her trance.

“He just wanted some details made clear, sometimes. But mostly he was content to let me describe what I saw.”

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:07 pm
by Philulhu
”And what did you see?” asked Vic gently, wanting to know more but not wanting to disturb the poor woman.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:16 pm
by HoneyDog
"I saw many things, many lives" says Joan.

"I think you should be much more specific in your questioning" advises Blessing. "We already know that she has traveled back a very long way."

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:17 pm
by aine
Isolde makes room for Alexander to sit next to her so they can study the book together. She pulls out her notebook so they can copy out any useful information.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
'What is the furthest back you went? what did you see? Did you see God?' asks Harry.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:19 am
by HoneyDog
"Not god" says Joan. "Dog. The dog-thing."

A look of fear flickers across her face.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander works with Isolde to study the book, fascinated and repulsed at the same time.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain is trying heroically not to look sceptical.

"Let's not talk about the dog for now. What about the men who were killed, with the symbols carved on them, what happened there?"

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:05 am
by HoneyDog
Annie left them as sacrifices, for the dog-thing. It can only move through angles. The circles constrain it. But they only work for so long! It’s still coming. It needs another sacrifice!”

Joan sounds desperate with fear. The colour drains from Blessing’s face.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:25 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"Was it Annie then that killed them, or the dog thing?"

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:45 am
by HoneyDog
“I just said – she left them for the dog-thing!” Joan snaps.

“What does the dog-thing look like?” interrupts Melody, in a soothing tone.

“It’s not a dog, of course, but that’s the nearest thing it looks like. It walks on all fours. It’s difficult to see clearly – it’s surrounded by smoke, a kind of blue colour. But I know it wants me. I shouldn’t have been back there, at that time, and it saw me and is coming for me. It won’t stop! The sacrifices were to delay it, but they won’t work for ever. Annie needs to make another!”

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:19 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"How did - ah - Annie find these men she offered up as sacrifices? How does she select them?"

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:07 am
by Philulhu
Vic watched on in mounting horror. She stepped over to Alexander and Isolde. ’Did you hear what she said?” she asked quietly, trying to keep her voice even. “Have you found anything about a dog creature in the book?!”

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:42 pm
by HoneyDog
“They’re convenient. Mostly out o’ it with the drink. That big Portuguese, he wasn’t. That was a close thing. So she always targets men she knows she can get the jump on.”

Joan shifts in her seat, and a shadow crosses her face.

“We’re wasting time. It won’t wait for much longer. We can delay it some more. It needs another sacrifice.”

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:18 pm
by aine
Isolde is only half listening as she scribbles down some notes.
“What happens if it doesn’t get a sacrifice? Will it appear here, next to Joan?”

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:55 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain looks about at his companions with a questioning gaze. Possibly incredulous.

"We don't have any reason to think the dog-thing is anything other than a drug induced nightmare. I have no doubt it seems real to Miss Bayldon here but she's been fed this concoction."

"On the other hand, Miss Bayldon is not denying that her hands killed those men, whoever may have been controlling them. Can we not go to the authorities with the evidence we now have that her actions were cause by the vile drug?"

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:33 am
by Philulhu
A thought occurred to Vic. She turned back to Joan. ”Did Vandorff know what Annie was doing?” she asked.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:55 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry looks to Crozier, what he says makes a lot of sense, all this talk of traveling through time seems hard to believe. Yet, there is something not right in Malbray Asylum. After thinking deeply he speaks, 'This is all very hard to believe Captain, but perhaps there is a way we can find out the truth, by an experiment, I believe that's what you call it Doctor. One of us should take the weakest form of the drug. And since I suggested it I suppose that puts me at the front of the queue.'

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:07 am
by HoneyDog
Joan overhears Isolde’s question.

“The dog-thing will come for me, and it will kill everyone around me. No-one here is safe. A sacrifice will hold it off for a few more days.”

“Of course Vandorff knew! I knew, didn’t I?” Blessing tells Vic. “That’s why we went to the inquests! I’ve explained all of this before.”

“Enough with this talk of proof!” he tells Harry and Crozier, crossly. “There’ll be no more experiments with this vile drug! That young man upstairs is proof enough of it, isn’t he? I suggest you go and see him for your own eyes!”

He calms down with some effort.

“I believe what Joan says. She cannot be lying under hypnosis, and Billy’s condition and Vandorff’s notes support it. Now, perhaps we should start considering that maybe we are in great danger, if this dog-thing is coming.”

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's see if the book has any information on how to get rid of it," says Alexander. "I'm sure smacking it over the nose with a rolled up newspaper won't do any good. I do have a shotgun, but will that have any effect on it?"

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:07 am
by HoneyDog
"It will take hours to read that thing" says Blessing. "We may not have that long. I'm going to talk to Vandorff, and see if there is anything else he knows."

He brings Joan out of the trance, who slumps in the chair, exhausted.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:04 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain marshals his wits, or half of them at least.

"Ladies and gentlemen, as Seekers you agree there is more to the world than our science allows, and as your newest member I support that. Surely though, we are seeking the truth, in the sense of trying to nail it to the quarter deck? Besides the truth that the German doctor here is a menace, obviously."

"The first truth we can point to is there is some unfortunate soul upstairs upon whom this drug has had a terrible physical effect."

"The second truth is that Miss Bayldon, under hypnosis, admitted to us all that her body killed those men. Apparently under the control of her mother."

"For everything else Miss Bayldon says, how can we tell whether her experiences were real or perhaps a fever dream induced by a powerful drug? London is full of opium dens but we do not presume the occupants' visions are to be trusted."

"I do not wish to be a stick in the mud, I'm just trying to get to grips with this."

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:30 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing takes Joan's arm, and leads her out of the room.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:36 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry shrugs, he has a strong belief in spiritualism, in the persistence of souls, and he has seen them reanimate a statue that nearly killed him and his companions, but demon dogs from the far reaches of time are beyond his comprehension. He decides to focus on more practical matters, 'Well we can't sacrifice anyone. But what does all this talk of angles mean? Is there something there we can use.'

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:14 pm
by aine
“I think Harry has a point; what is this about ‘angles’? Alexander, remember the goblins on Dartmoor, how they came through a ‘gate’ from another place, not in this world.
“This is how I imagine the dog-creature is, perhaps. And maybe it’s gate is in a corner, or something.” Isolde peters out, realising it sounds rather ridiculous.

“I can picture it in my head but I cannot exactly explain it in words.
“Anyhow, can you imagine if we took any of this to the authorities? They would laugh or lock us up- in here in all probability. And they would hang Joan too; they need a tangible scapegoat, not some drug based theory, to quiet that angry mob at the inquests.”

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:40 pm
by Philulhu
”We don’t have to sacrifice anyone,” replied Vic, thoughtfully. ‘But if we tell Vandorff that he’s the sacrifice if he doesn’t help us, he might be a bit more forthcoming about what he’s been up to...”

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that's an idea," says Alexander. "He doesna have to know we're bluffing. I canna forgot the goblins on Dartmoor, of course. If the dog-thing can only use a corner as a gate, what if we had a spherical room or container, without corners? It couldna get inside."

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:18 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain shrugs and decides to focus on practical matters.

"A circular tunnel would also have no angles. Like an underground stream tunnel or a big drain."

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:08 am
by HoneyDog
The door opens, and Dr. Vandorff enters in his wheelchair, followed by Blessing. Vandorff scowls at the occupants, but he stops when he sees the books, notes and the vials of the Liao drug.

"So you know?" he inquires.

"Yes we know" says Blessing, pushing him towards the fireplace. "We know what you did to Billy Ashworth. We saw him."

"Ah!" says Vandorff. "That was most unfortunate. Poor Billy."

Blessing turns him so he can be viewed by the whole room. Vandorff regards everyone in silence for a while, then says,

"What do you want? Why haven't you gone to the police, hmm?"

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:02 pm
by Philulhu
”Because the dog-creature is coming back,” said Vic calmly. “We need to stop it, so what can you tell us about it?”

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Think carefully," says Alexander. "You are in more danger from it than we are."

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:15 pm
by aine
“Joan says the dog-creature needs a sacrifice and travels through corners. What do you know about that?” Isolde adds.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:53 am
by HoneyDog
“You know far more than I do” says Vandorff. “I didn’t have an opportunity to question Joan since her return.”
OOC,Anyone can make a Psychology roll on Vandorff.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:24 pm
by Philulhu
Vic watched Vandorff impassively, trying to determine whether has was telling the truth.
OOC,Psychology (50%) - 0 Edit: If we were playing IRL, it’s about this time that the dice I’ve been using would’ve been consigned to the bin and new dice purchased... :|

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:35 pm
by aine
Isolde watches Vandorff from the desk.
Psychology,53 0 what were the chances of that? Er...
Ooc,you didn’t buy those dodgy dice off Ebay? ;)

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:13 am
by Philulhu
OOC,I can’t remember the last time I bought a set of dice, tbh. At least 20 years ago... :oops:

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:34 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry Psychology 13%,0

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander can't read Vandorff.
OOC,The chances of that were 1 in 100. ;) Psychology roll (5% base skill) about [b]Vandorff[/b]: 0

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:40 am
by Snapper
Crozier:
Psych 40%,0 [ooc]Success[/ooc]

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 am
by HoneyDog
Crozier & Isolde,When Isolde mentioned about the dog-thing travelling through corners, Vandorff's eyes flickered in recognition. He definitely knows something.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:51 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain gives a grunt of both frustration and surprise.

"He knows more than he's saying. Drugging me does not make me like you more. Talk, you fool."

Crozier lets his brooding anger show for a moment.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 am
by HoneyDog
“What do you know, Doctor?” asks Blessing. “Talk to us.”

Vandorff shakes his head.

“Nothing! I didn’t talk to Joan. I told you already!”

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:04 pm
by Philulhu
”It’s your choice, Vandorff!” snapped Vic. “You either help us and tell us what you know, or you’re surplus to requirements. If you’re the latter, well, we might soon be in need of a sacrifice...”

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:19 pm
by aine
“You’ve seen it? Haven’t you? Was it when you sent poor Billy back to the beginning of time? And then somehow he brought the dog-thing with him. And now it’s wandering around in the corners here.” Isolde glances at the corner of the room.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:09 pm
by Mephistophilis
Harry walks behind Vandorff's wheelchair and puts his hand on Vandorff's shoulder. He crouches down and whispers in his ear, 'I'm in no mood for being patient.' He takes the handles to Vandorff's chair and tips him onto the floor, standing above him. 'Don't make me angry, doctor.'

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:08 am
by HoneyDog
“This is outrageous!” shouts the Doctor from the floor. “I haven’t seen what you’re talking about!”

“Then what do you know?” asks Blessing.

“Get me up!” Vandorff shouts.

Blessing gets him back in the chair, and Vandorff shakes the dust from his sleeves, his face red with anger.

“You have no right to treat me this way!” he screeches, but it is clear he is rattled.

Blessing points at the vials of the Liao drug.

“Perhaps you could get some first-hand information for us? My associates here aren’t sure that the drug really works. A little demonstration from you could help persuade them. How would you like to return to the dawn of time, like Billy?”

“No!” says Vandorff quickly. “All I know is what I read.”

He sighs.

“In that book”, he points to the Prinn volume on the bench, “mention is made of creatures that move and hunt through time. I realise now that that must be what Joan saw, or rather saw her. It should contain a means to stop it.”

He points to the shelves.

“The Hermes Trismegistus also mentions otherworldly creatures.”

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:45 am
by Philulhu
”How long until this dog-creature returns?” asked Vic, approaching Vandorff and looking into his eyes. “Quickly now, Herr Doctor - we haven’t got all day!”

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where in these books can we find the information we need?" demands Alexander. "We havena time to read the whole things."

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:35 am
by HoneyDog
“I don’t know” snaps Vandorff. “The books are not indexed. You’ll just have to read them. And as for when this creature arrives, I have no idea. I told you, I only know what is in the books, and that was a brief mention. Joan appears to be the expert, no? She has been the one keeping this creature at bay.”

Joan says tonight” Blessing reminds everyone.

“Then you’ll need a sacrifice, won’t you?” says Vandorff, with a nasty sneer. “You won’t be able to read those books in time, even if you manage to stay sane.”

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:35 am
by Philulhu
”Don’t take that tone with us,” replied Vic. “Who do you think is first in line for sacrifice when that creature comes back?”

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:44 am
by HoneyDog
“Ha!” Vandorff snorts. “You’re going to murder me? None of you are capable of that. That much is obvious.”

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 am
by Philulhu
“Who said anything about murder? ” said Vic, coldly. “You have a choice. You help us defeat the creature or you will be the next sacrifice. It’s as simple as that.”

“I’ve seen what you did to that poor boy. Why would you think you deserve any more mercy that you gave him?”

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:01 am
by HoneyDog
“If I’m your sacrifice, young lady, then you are obviously going to murder me.”

Vandorff shakes his head.

“This is idiotic. I am not swayed by your threats because I know you will not act on them. Nevertheless, if a sacrifice is necessary, then a suitable candidate does exist. Billy Ashworth. His existence in his present form cannot continue for much longer – indeed, he could mutate into something else entirely. I propose that you use him.”

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:15 am
by Mephistophilis
Shaking his head, Harry says 'If I have to I will have no hesitation in ending you Dr Vandorff, over any poor wretch locked up here.'

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:25 am
by Philulhu
Vic slapped Vandorff across the face.

“He’s not going to help,” she said to Harry. ”Tip him out. He can die crawling on the floor like the worm he is.”

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm
by aine
Isolde has gone pale. “We can’t murder him; we’ll be as bad as him if we do.” She whispers to Alexander so Vandorff can’t hear her.
Out aloud he says,
“Joan used those symbols to attract the creature. Is there any way we can trap it? I’m going to keep reading; I can scan the pages quickly until I find any reference to creatures and time.”
She bends her head to the book.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:19 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain had temporarily shut his eyes against the drug induced hangover, however, events woke him again.

He stands up and moves in front of Vandorff. "Stop, stop, stop! Remember yourselves, remember your stations, and breeding, and education. Well, all except Brown and Melody, and you're both trying to better yourselves."

"We do not threaten and torture cripples. How we treat our prisoners of war is a barometer of how civilised we are. And we are British. We export civilisation to the world."

He glares at Vandorff. "More civilised than your tin-pot collection of little dukedoms. And the Hippocratic oath clearly means little to you."

"If this insane doctor helps, he helps. If not, we chase this dog thing off together, shoulder to shoulder. No sacrifices of any description."

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:38 am
by Philulhu
Vic stood in front of Crozier, her fist clenched. ”Did you not see what he has done to that poor boy?” she snapped. “I am all for justice and doing the right thing, but when we need him to help us, all he suggests is allowing the boy to be sacrificed! The justice he deserves should be painful and for his sake, mercifully short!”

”He would have no qualms about killing any of us and yet his weaselling words would make out us to be the murderers. Do as you will with him, Captain, but if the creature can’t be stopped then I’ll be pushing this blaggard in its way to buy us time!”

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's nae time for one of us to read a whole book," says Alexander, "but what if we tore the pages out and divided sections of the book between us? If we skim them rather than read them in detail until we find a relevant part, we might get through them in time. If we could trap the beastie in a round chamber with no corners, it would be unable to escape. But I'm not sure where we could find a suitable place."

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:57 am
by HoneyDog
“But surely Joan must commit the sacrifice?” Vandorff says. “Otherwise, how do you know what symbols you will need?”

“That’s true” Blessing nods. “And it’s Joan the creature wants, she has been killing in order to distract the creature. Vandorff is right. I can’t ask Joan to kill anymore, but for what is left of Billy Ashworth, it would be a mercy.”
OOC,I don't think scanning a book like this is possible. It's handwritten on very old paper. And you don't exactly know what you're looking for.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:54 pm
by Philulhu
”You’re as bad as he is!” snapped Vic, rounding on Blessing. “If Billy’s beyond saving then put him out of his misery, but don’t let him be killed so to save the worthless hide of this godless wretch!” She stabbed an angry finger in the direction of Vandorff.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:23 pm
by aine
Isolde is quite shocked at the turn of events. “Alexander, we couldn’t possibly rip this book up; it would be sacrilege; it’s a priceless artifact! Why don’t you look at that other book, Hermes Trismegistus, and I’ll continue with this one.”
She draws the book protectively towards her.
“You never know, we might be lucky.”
And to everyone else she sternly says,
“We are the Seekers of Enlightenment; we have values and a reputation to uphold. I insist that we maintain our integrity. We have to find a better way than a sacrifice which is only a temporary measure as it is.”

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:41 pm
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain nods to Isolde. "Hear, hear!"

He turns to Vandorff and Blessing. "Are there no rounded tunnels under this building or nearby? Or any rooms or large containers even that are rounded, or spherical, or oblong even I suppose?"

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:31 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Luckily, the Hermes is in English, but will also take a long time to read, probably including the entire next day.
“I have no idea” says Vandorff.

“It will take too long to search for something like that” says Blessing.

He takes the handles of Vandorff’s chair.

“I will return the Doctor to his cell.”

He pushes the chair towards the door.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:34 am
by Philulhu
Angry with Dr Blessing, Vandorff and generally feeling powerless, Vic stomped out of the room and up the stairs to check on Billy.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:36 am
by HoneyDog
Vic,Billy is slopping wetly around his cell. He barely resembles anything human anymore.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I'll get started," says Alexander, picking up Hermes Trismegistus and beginning to look through it.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:24 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

"I'll come with you, Doctor Blessing. Then perhaps you could show me around? We need to search this place for a room or space without angles, apparently."

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:30 am
by HoneyDog
Blessing looks at Crozier in puzzlement.

“I can assure you, Captain, that no such room exists at this establishment. Better use of your time would be in helping me to get the patients settled for the night.”

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 pm
by aine
“Please could you check on Greta on your rounds?” Isolde asks as they leave the room. As she turns back to the book she spits the cabinet in the corner of the room. “We never checked this.” She says to Alexander and she goes over to open it.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I can help you with the patients' says Harry. 'I'll leave the bookwork to wiser minds than mine.'

He takes Blessing to one side and asks, 'Is it possible for you to hypnotise Dr Vandorff, or does he need to be a willing participant?'

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:20 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The only cabinet is the one where the drugs were found.
“No, it’s not possible, unless you have some means of keeping his eyes forced open” says Blessing to Harry. “I appreciate any help with the patients.”

With the help of Harry, Crozier and Melody, Blessing sees to the patients’ needs. He arranges a place to sleep for the companions – Greta and Rolf will stay in Vandorff’s room for now, and someone is able to have their room. There is a spare bed belonging to one of the nurses, but Rutherford and Niewicki’s room is too foul to consider.

Apart from the occasional shout from a patient, the asylum begins to quiet for the evening. Blessing announces his intention to retire, after making sure that Joan is safely secured.
OOC,Please let me know your evening plans. Melody will sleep.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"I willna sleep," says Alexander, still reading. "I'll stay awake as long as I can going through this book. All I need is an ample supply of tea to keep me going and some light to read by."

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:06 pm
by aine
Isolde settles back down to read; she’s prepared for a long night. She’s oftentimes watched over a sick child all night but it’s been a while since then.
“I’ll go and find tea at midnight.” She promises Alexander.

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:49 am
by Mephistophilis
Harry ensures he has a set of keys for the asylum and finds himself a corner to get some sleep. He keeps the revolver with him.

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:15 am
by Philulhu
Vic came back down in time to here Alexander’s about tea and headed off to the kitchen to find a kettle. She returned shortly with a catering-size teapot, a jug of milk and a sugar bowl. The teapot was swathed in tea towels to try to keep it warm.

’I’m going to get some rest,” she said. “But come and wake me if you need anything.” Picking up the poker, she headed off to sleep in the spare nurse’s bed. She took her boots off, but didn’t get undressed, just lay on the bed, with a blanket over her, thinking of the events of the day.

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:03 am
by Snapper
Crozier:

The Captain keeps his pocket-watch handy and every hour goes for a patrol through the asylum, careful not to disturb any sleeping occupants.

He hopes his drug-induced earlier nap will help him fight off fatigue.

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:34 am
by HoneyDog
Darkness has closed in, and the asylum is quiet. Blessing convinces Alexander and Isolde to move to the dining room, where a fire is blazing.

Crozier determines to patrol the asylum but soon falls asleep, suffering from the after-effects of the drugged tea. Isolde also has a similar problem, and although her mind is slowly warped by the weirdness and horror of the Die Vermis Mysteris, she cannot stay awake any longer. And although Alexander is making good progress with his book, fatigue overtakes him too. The asylum is silent.
OOC:   I will begin a new thread.