Chapter 10: November 1st

A horrific murder in London’s East End leads to a new assignment for the Seekers of Enlightenment. But there could be something even worse than a crazed killer on the loose…

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 10: November 1st

Post by Mr. Handy »

"While physics is my speciality," says Alexander, "I also know quite a bit about chemistry. These books look more like they're about alchemy to me, though,"
OOC,Occult roll (5% base skill) about the books: 0
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Isolde,The books are indeed about alchemy, and are likely very rare and expensive. Isolde has heard that the Hermes Trismegistus is particularly held in esteem for its rumoured mysteries.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“I think you are right, Alexander.” Isolde says as she looks carefully along the books. “Look! Hermes Trismegistis this book is incredibly rare and valuable; what a collection! I’ve read about some of these but never seen them before. This one is about the mysteries of alchemy; Very occult and not really science at all; how strange a collection for a doctor to have.”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

"Why on earth do I feel like I've taken a punch to the gut?" Crozier pats his stomach gingerly. "This is starting to remind me of Hong Kong in '71. Except on that visit, I also wound up with a tattoo I couldn't explain." He starts checking his hands and wrists for recent, surprise tattoos.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Blessing crosses to the small cabinet near the shelves. Finding it locked, he fiddles about with Vandorff’s keys until he finds the one he needs. He opens it, and brings out two hypodermic needles, and eight vials of clear liquid. Two are marked ‘morphine’, but the other six are marked differently:

“30”
“400-500”
“1500”
“100000+?”
“millions? prehuman”
“the beginning?”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Vic looked from the needles to Dr Blessing. ”Those labels,” she said. “They suggest that those injections will send someone back through time! That’s impossible!”
OOC,In years to come, Vic will read a book by a Mr Wells who posits that a machine will enable a man to shift temporally. But she hasn’t read the book [u]yet[/u], she won’t be making that mistake again... ;)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"I know it's fantastic, but It would begin to explain though what Miss Bayldon has been saying" says Blessing, looking closely at the vials. "She's under hypnosis, so she cannot be lying."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Not literal travel through time," says Alexander, "though that is an intriguing thought. Rather I think this drug allows someone to access ancestral memories back approximately how many years are on the labels. The 30 must be what caused Miss Bayldon to experience her mother's memories. I wouldn't want to experiment with using these, but it may help to analyse them. If we can find out how the drug is made, we can learn how to counteract it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The Captain slowly gathers his battered wits, while rubbing his bruised stomach.

"Ancestral memories? Do such exist? How astounding, I have never heard such a thing. I should not wish to recall my mother giving birth to me, nor for that matter ... Ah..." His voice trails off, thoughts unspoken, but the Captain blushes.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic rolled her eyes. ”Childbirth is a natural thing, Captain Crozier,” she said. “Or so I’m told, anyway.” She blushed slightly too.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Has Doctor Vandorff recorded what doses he has given Miss Bayldon?' asks Harry. 'I don't think I even know what 'the beginning' would mean, God's creation of the universe?'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Well, that might be a matter of debate, Mr Brown,” said Vic, carefully. Miss Bayldon’s description of people dressed in skins and speaking unintelligibly, coupled with the description on the vials suggests a pre-historic era that may be at odds with teachings of the Bible...”

“Nevertheless, whenever it was, it was certainly a long time ago. I wonder what Dr Vandorff hoped to achieve in his experiments with her?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The last three of these have question marks," says Alexander, "so that's only Vandorff's hypothesis about how far back the memories go. Obviously there would be no way to measure the time, and Vandorff is also unreliable to say the least. He is more suited to be an inmate here than a doctor."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The Captain looks distinctly uncomfortable. He says to Vic, "It's not the memory of my birth that worries me most..."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Where does this door go?” asks Melody, pointing to the door next to the fireplace. She tries the knob – it is locked.

“Up into the tower, I would presume” says Blessing.

He crosses over, finds the appropriate key, and unlocks the door.

A narrow, dimly-lit staircase leads upwards. Blessing takes a candle and lights it, and proceeds upwards.

At the top of the stairs is a landing, adjacent to what looks like a cell with a tiny barred window. The door is padlocked. On the landing a small rickety table holds two bundles of paper.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Vic had followed Dr Blessing up the stairs. She looked cautiously through the cell window to see what lay beyond.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander also climbs the stairs and takes a closer look at the bundles of papers.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“I don’t think you need worry too much, Captain. I’m quite sure it would have been far too dark to see anything.” Isolde says cryptically as she too climbs the stairs and enters the top room, looking about her.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crozier:

The Captain weaves up the stairs, still vaguely woozy and rather uncomfortable with his current train of thought. To Isolde he says, "Actually, I was thinking more of one of those horrid Greek tragedies we are made to study as midshipmen. Sophocles' work, 'Oedipus Rex.' May not be part of a respectable young lady's syllabus."

"Can't remember a single word of classic Greek neither."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Blessing and Melody also join Vic at the cell window. Melody gasps and Blessing cries out, dropping the candle.
Vic,Roll SAN. If you fail, 1d4 SAN loss. Just roll for now, I'll fill in the details after.
OOC,All who look into the cell must roll SAN.

Return to “Signs Writ in Scarlet”