The Adventure

The date is Sunday, 15th June 1924. The place is Bolton, New Hampshire. Looking after a sick relative, the investigators are about to get to know one of the neighbours a little better than they would like.

Moderator: simonthompson

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: The Adventure

Post by HoneyDog »

"It all looks very thorough, Mr. Hargreaves" says John in admiration, although his mind is reeling from the shock of making the connection. "Would it be possible to hear from Mr. Tomaszewski?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

While John speaks, Harrison tries to read Hargreaves. Does he seem at all guilty or worried?
Psychology 39 pass,[dice]0[/dice]
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by simonthompson »

HoneyDog wrote:"It all looks very thorough, Mr. Hargreaves" says John in admiration, although his mind is reeling from the shock of making the connection. "Would it be possible to hear from Mr. Tomaszewski?"
Hargreaves replies to Wessells's question, "Tomaszewski won't be here for his shift until 7pm and he'll be busy doing his rounds to begin with. The best time if you feel you must speak with him would be at the end of his shift tomorrow morning around 9am."
jp1885 wrote:
While John speaks, Harrison tries to read Hargreaves. Does he seem at all guilty or worried?
Holst watches Hargreaves intently. To the best of his knowledge, the older man seems to be concerned rather than evasive.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I see” says John, thoughtfully. “How would we recognize him?”
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

Hargreaves replies "I'll leave a message for him to wait outside Mr Evans's office at 9am. Now, if I've dealt with your questions I really do need to get back to my work. Good day gentlemen, Mr Hargreaves."

With that Hargreaves turns and busies himself in the cold store.

Evans looks at the investigators. "I do hope this puts this rather ugly and unnecessary matter to rest. This hospital has a fine reputation and to have it sullied by obviously unfounded allegations is distressing. Is there anything else gentlemen?"
Last edited by simonthompson on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Character name correction!
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I think that’ll be all for now, though, as a friendly warning, I suggest you temporarily tighten your security until the accusations die down.”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I think you're mixing up the characters Simon!
John touches Harrison's arm.

"Let's go. Thank you for your time, Mr. Evans."
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

The following morning dawns bright and warm, and just before 9am the investigators arrive at the hospital and return to the reception desk. It's a different nurse staffing the desk, but she looks up with a bright smile as the two men approach her.

"Good morning gentlemen, how can I be of help?" she asks. On hearing of their appointment she asks them to wait while she calls Mr Evans.

A few moments later Evans appears from his office. Walking towards them he looks past their shoulders behind them "Good morning- ah! Here's Tomaszewski now."

Turning, they see a somewhat ill-kempt man in his late-twenties approaching them. He wears a grubby white gown over a second-rate suit, and his shoes have seen better days.

Evans greets him."Tomaszewski, thank you for coming. These gentlemen have some questions for you, I'm sure you'll be able to put their minds at rest."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison smiles. “Please may we have a word with Mr. Tomaszewski alone? All in the interests of impartiality you understand.”
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

Evans nods and says "Of course. I'll leave you gentlemen to it, but I'll be in my office should you need anything." With that he returns to his office.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

John says nothing, and just stares at Tomaszewki, barely concealing his disgust.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Hello Randolph,” says Harrison.

He smiles again, a little too widely.

“I gather we have a mutual friend, Mr. Corbitt.”

He studies the man’s reaction to the name.
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

Tomaszewki, already on edge, stiffens at the mention of Corbitt's name and looks even more unsettled.

In a broad New York accent he replies to Holst. "Er, what do mean mister? I don't know no Corbitt guy. You must be getting me mixed up with someone else. Who are you anyways?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

John starts slowly walking so that he will be behind Tomaszewki.

“You know what we’re talking about” he says as he moves. “Do you want the hospital to find out? The police? How about the family members?”
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

Noting Wessells movement and clearly on his guard, Tomaszewki starts to back away, keeping the investigators in front of him.

"Find out what? I ain't done nothing, you leave me alone, I don't have to answer any questions."
Spoiler:
Please let me know your intentions before you have your characters attempt anything. You're both standing in front of Tomaszewki and about 2-3 metres from him. He's clearly skittish.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison doesn’t want to spook the guy or turn this into a confrontation. All we wants is information and maybe persuade him to stop providing the limbs.

“Look, no-one wants you to get in any trouble,” he says, hands out placatingly. “Just give us the lowdown on the deal you’ve got with Corbitt. It can’t be right, all those arms and legs; don’tcha wanna get shot of all that creepy stuff?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

John stops moving.

“Stop screwing around, man” he says. “Surely you can see that the game is up? Tell us about Corbitt, and we don’t tell a living soul about your involvement. We don’t care about you. But if you keep on stalling, you don’t leave us with any other choice. Now what's it going to be?”
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

Tomaszewki looks like he's considering the offer for a moment, then his face seems to spasm and he changes his mind. Avoiding looking directly at the two investigators he says in a high-pitched stutter, "N-n-no. You guys ain't n-no pals of mine. Now leave me alone, I ain't got nothin' to say."

With that, he turns and starts walking away, glancing back as he does so.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Fine," Harrison says loudly. "Police it is then. Pity really: work's hard to come by these days, but if you're determined to lose this job..."
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

Tomaszewki scurries out through the main entrance, still occasionally looking back at Holst and Wessells and avoiding the stares of the dozen or so visitors in the reception hall.

Return to “Mr Corbitt - 7th Edition”