The Adventure

The date is Sunday, 15th June 1924. The place is Bolton, New Hampshire. Looking after a sick relative, the investigators are about to get to know one of the neighbours a little better than they would like.

Moderator: simonthompson

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: The Adventure

Post by HoneyDog »

“Let’s see how it’s locked” says John. “I wonder if we can enter via one of the other warehouses.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

“It just so happens...” muses Harrison as he looks the building up and down, “...that I’ve suddenly decided I want to rent a warehouse to store my stock. It also happens that I’ve been mistakenly informed that this particular one is available. Shall we go take a look?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Good cover story!" says John, getting out of the car. "Anyone would think that you might have practiced deception before."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Honest as the day is long ol’ pal,” chuckles Harrison.
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by simonthompson »

As Holst and Wessells get out of their car they look across the street and see the door of the Corbitt warehouse opening. A man comes out, dressed in the scruffy workaday gear of a storeman.

As they watch, he turns and locks the door with a large padlock, then starts to walk briskly in the direction of Main Street.
Spoiler:
You have to opportunity to stop and talk with him if you wish, follow him, or head over to the warehouse.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison tips his boater to the guy and smiles.

"Hello sir! I gather this warehouse is to let? My colleague and I are interested in renting some storage space - may we take a look inside? I'm sure you're a busy man so I'm more than happy to reimburse you for your time."
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

The storeman stops, turns and stares at you both with a puzzled look on his face.

"Eh? I think you've got it wrong mister. This here is the Corbitt Enterprises warehouse, and Mr Corbitt ain't said nothing to me about it being let out."
Spoiler:
Please make a Hard check against Credit Rating, Persuade or Fast Talk.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Credit Rating,Credit Rating 60: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/856078]Credit Rating[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]30[/b]
”Are you sure?” asks John. “It may have been some time ago”.
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

The storeman takes a long look at the smartly dressed Wessells and rubs his chin. "Well I guess it won't do any harm to show yer the insides of the warehouse, but yer'll have to stay with me as I show yer around."

He unlocks the door, reaches inside and swings the larger main door that surrounds the smaller portal open, beckoning the investigators to follow him in. Light streams in from the street, illuminating a storeroom approximately 10 feet across by 30 feet deep, and around 15 feet high. A door and window at the rear show that the warehouse backs onto the James River. Boxes are stacked to varying heights on each side of the room. Some are labelled as 'Incense Sticks', 'Mixed Rugs'', 'Soapstone Trinkets', etc and a few have been opened revealing a relatively inexpensive looking selection of decorative items from countries such as India, Ceylon and Siam.

"The room's dry and has power. We have stuff down to keep the rodents away but they ain't especially interested anyways, we ain't got nothing they wanna knaw on in here. I guess Mr Corbitt must be looking to move premises then? Business has been a little down the last couple of years."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"That's a shame" John commiserates. "Do you see much of Mr. Corbitt?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Corbitt you say? Didn't he lose his wife and kids a while back? Twins wasn't it? What a crying shame that must've been. Say, is there a strongroom in these warehouses? Some of our goods are rather valuable."
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

HoneyDog wrote:"That's a shame" John commiserates. "Do you see much of Mr. Corbitt?"
"Oh yeah, he's down at the office most days or visiting buyers, but I sees him most weeks. Works hard, pays decent money, nice guy. There are far worse employers around these parts. I sure hope he ain't thinking of selling up."
jp1885 wrote:"Corbitt you say? Didn't he lose his wife and kids a while back? Twins wasn't it? What a crying shame that must've been. Say, is there a strongroom in these warehouses? Some of our goods are rather valuable."
The storeman looks at Holst, replying "That was before my time buddy, but I did hear from Ethel in the office once that he lost a child a few years back, and his wife and pa. Didn't hear nothing about no twins though."

He laughs. "A strongroom? Hah, no chance buddy. This stuff is ain't so cheap but it ain't no Arthur James fortune neither."

Looking up at a clock on the wall he says "Say, I gotta get over to the office fellas. I'm sure old man Corbitt will let ya have a better schmoozy around if ya ask him." With that he ushers the investigators back onto the street.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Well, thanks for your help" John says to the man.

When they are outside again, heading to the car, he says to Harrison,

"Look, there's no point to this, we're not getting anywhere. We need to get back in the house, or we need to talk to Corbitt directly."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Once again you're right ol' chum," sighs Harrison. "I was sure we'd find the boxes of limbs and wotnot, but alas no..."

He is just about to dejectedly open his car door when his face lights up.

"Say, how about we swing by the local hospital on the way to Corbitt's? If he's getting the body parts from there we could catch him red-handed."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"But we already looked at stories relating to thefts from morgues and found nothing" John protests. "Seems like a waste of time to me."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"I don't think anyone would be too keen for the press to know that they're letting body parts go missing, so maybe it's all under the counter? However I know that when you've got the bit between your teeth there's no stopping you, so I'll follow your lead ol' pal."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"My lead? I don't have any. Don't put this on me! The only things I can think about doing will just lead back to us. I want to get my hands on Corbitt, but I'm worried about the power he has. If you have an idea, I suggest you spell it out."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Harrison laughs. "It's a good job we're pals eh? Like I said, let's go to the hospital and see if he's been getting limbs from there."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

John sighs.

"Fine. But you can do the talking."
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper

Post by simonthompson »

The Central Hospital in Bolton is a relatively modern building, built in the 1890s with a major extension constructed in 1910.

Having driven across town from the riverside docks area to the hospital site in the southern suburbs, the investigators park their car and head into the main entrance. The hospital is busy, nurses in white uniforms bustle to and fro, and ambulances are parked outside either having just arrived or just about to depart.

In the cavernous entrance hall a long desk is staffed by two nurses, and behind them is a male supervisor. One of the nurses looks up as Holst and Wessells enter the building. She smiles, and says "Good day sirs, can I help you at all?"

Return to “Mr Corbitt - 7th Edition”